News Article: Ottawa Senators Organization Actively Considering Building Arena At Lebreton Flats

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
They will establish some nice points of celebration that are within walking distance for a relax and pint as well I'm sure. Will transform the game day experience quite nicely with restaurants, bars, hotels and walking spaces.

I can't wait. The new Lansdowne is amazing and certainly contributes to the attraction of going to a RB's game. I hope the same is true for the new Lebreton. I will really make a lasting change in our City's entertainment landscape.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I can't wait. The new Lansdowne is amazing and certainly contributes to the attraction of going to a RB's game. I hope the same is true for the new Lebreton. I will really make a lasting change in our City's entertainment landscape.

Imagine exiting a SC playoff game victory into one of the jazz or folk festival happenings on a warm June evening. Classic.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's the NCC. They need to negotiate, consult everyone, negotiate, consult everyone, not make a decision, negotiate, consult everyone and then not make a decision.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Those are negotiation tactics. Going to the media and leaking it might take another year.

It's very possible it does, but don't be surprised if something is settled before.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Was watching some of the game last night and as they were cutting to commercial break they showed the CTC from the outside and all you saw was an arena surrounded by lit up parking lots. It's so embarrassing. Worst location for an arena in the league

Really glad they're starting to take steps for the downtown one

Senzilla

Aug 20, 2016
Ottawa
Was watching some of the game last night and as they were cutting to commercial break they showed the CTC from the outside and all you saw was an arena surrounded by lit up parking lots. It's so embarrassing. Worst location for an arena in the league

Really glad they're starting to take steps for the downtown one

I think that the folks in Glendale might have something to say about that.:sarcasm: In all reality, it's a real shame that the government made it impossible for Terrace to develop around the arena they way they wanted to. I've seen some of the plans that they had, and it could have been pretty sweet. Alas, you're not wrong. I just hope the development around a possible Lebreton arena is done correctly.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The Quebec First Nations has put a claim in on the Ottawa area including Lebretton this could be a major blow to the Sens bid.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

They will negotiate this into oblivion. What's taking so long?

It's a massive development project in a key downtown urban area.

It's going to take a lot of time. The only way it wouldn't was if this was China. But they don't care about hockey. So here we are.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The Quebec First Nations has put a claim in on the Ottawa area including Lebretton this could be a major blow to the Sens bid.

Unlikely. How many decades have they had to file a claim? Now that there is some big money behind a development they decide to do this?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Unlikely. How many decades have they had to file a claim? Now that there is some big money behind a development they decide to do this?

They could very well have a legit claim. If so, they could end up with some say in overall land use planning and economic interests. Perhaps a lump sum up front, and if they dig in maybe even a small equity interest in the project via an first nation development corporation of some type. Very common on west coast were claims aren't settled. Less common in ON and QC were claims were dealt with through treaties some time ago. Project proponents will assess the risk, and might see value in paying up to mitigate legal risk.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They could very well have a legit claim. If so, they could end up with some say in overall land use planning and economic interests. Perhaps a lump sum up front, and if they dig in maybe even a small equity interest in the project via an first nation development corporation of some type. Very common on west coast were claims aren't settled. Less common in ON and QC were claims were dealt with through treaties some time ago. Project proponents will assess the risk, and might see value in paying up to mitigate legal risk.

And what about when houses where there? Why not put in a claim then? Or before that when the lumber mill (iirc) was there?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
And what about when houses where there? Why not put in a claim then? Or before that when the lumber mill (iirc) was there?

I don't support the land claim. I am just describing a potential scenario that will see project proponents pay to make that issue go away.

In Canada, for better or worse we acknowledged that first Nations have ethno cultural ties to the lands they occupied when europeans got here, and that comes with constitutional obligations.

Loggers don't have thosw same rights.

Again. Not a fan of all of this, but it's the reality of the situation.

Far far harder to navigate this situation in BC, and you have insane overlapping claims with multiple bands there.

ON and QC settled via treaty. But that's doesn't mean first Nations wont still assert rights at times like this.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013

I wouldn't know the merits of the particular claim, but in any event, the duty to consult and accommodate can be triggered before the successful establishment of a title claim. At the very least, that would most definitely delay plans.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't support the land claim. I am just describing a potential scenario that will see project proponents pay to make that issue go away.

In Canada, for better or worse we acknowledged that first Nations have ethno cultural ties to the lands they occupied when europeans got here, and that comes with constitutional obligations.

Loggers don't have thosw same rights.

Again. Not a fan of all of this, but it's the reality of the situation.

Far far harder to navigate this situation in BC, and you have insane overlapping claims with multiple bands there.

ON and QC settled via treaty. But that's doesn't mean first Nations wont still assert rights at times like this.

I just don't understand it. If people were living there and had a factory/logging mill there for over a century...it's kinda late to put in a claim?

I guess what I'm really asking, is if there's some sort of statute of limitations regarding these kinds of claims.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
100% of the city of Ottawa is covered in claims. In fact it's more than that because many of the claims overlap. This is really meaningless. Just another on the pile.

But it could delay/add costs to the plans. Even best case scenario, sounds like shovels won't be in the ground for 2 years, so it's not a huge issue yet, but it could become an issue down the road.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
At some point these land claims by First Nations people have to stop, right? I mean, it's entirely likely that they lost the lands 200 years ago, but everyone is supposed to roll over and pay them? At what point does enough become enough?

It's painfully obvious hat this is nothing more than a cash grab. I would love for the judge presiding over this to tell them to bugger off.

Yeah, I'm insensitive to their 200 year old wounds.

It's solely to block the Algonquin land claim, which is about to net them a cool 300 mil minimum plus tens of thousands of acres of crown land. They certainly have cash in mind here.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Claridge has a new proposal called East Flats which would have 1600 housing units it would be right next to the Sens project and not to far away another one called 900 Albert would have 2000 units and a million square feet of retail and office space also the new library would be in the same area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad