News Article: Ottawa Senators Organization Actively Considering Building Arena At Lebreton Flats

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes because the Nevada desert and Kanata are the same thing. LOL

Kanata is closing in on 100,000 residents, it's not exactly "middle of nowhere".

I'm just sick of people regurgitating that line, it's a literal 20 minute drive from Kanata to downtown.

Putting a stadium downtown is fine and is definitely better for anyone east and south of downtown. Doesn't make Kanata the middle of nowhere.

It is widely considered the worst arena location in the league...by fans inside and outside of Ottawa. I dont know how anyone can still possibly argue the location isnt bad. EVERYONE knows it...including the city and team.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
It is widely considered the worst arena location in the league...by fans inside and outside of Ottawa. I dont know how anyone can still possibly argue the location isnt bad. EVERYONE knows it...including the city and team.

I've never said Kanata was a good location versus other parts of the city. Actually I've said many times downtown would be better.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Don't think you will see many arguments from those who have no vested interest in Kanata. Haven't seen one legitimate argument against it outside of tax dollars which will likely be involved either way whether it is Lebreton or Kanata.

Sports teams have become so popular that they sort of now fall into that grey area where yes they profit, but also provide tangible benefits to the surrounding areas if done correctly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't think you will see many arguments from those who have no vested interest in Kanata. Haven't seen one legitimate argument against it outside of tax dollars which will likely be involved either way whether it is Lebreton or Kanata.

Sports teams have become so popular that they sort of now fall into that grey area where yes they profit, but also provide tangible benefits to the surrounding areas if done correctly.

This is an excellent point; whenever a new arena is built, be it in 10-15 years at the flats, or 20-25 in Kanata or some other location, Melnyk or whoever owns the team at that point will make the exact same pitch for tax funding. So I'm not sure why it's of any additional concern for a downtown arena.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
There is a difference in having money spent on the NAC vs a new arena. The NAC is a federally owned public building, the sens are a for profit private company.

So why did the tax payer help fund the Skydome? Are the Blue Jays a for profit company?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/you-win-some-you-lose-some-1.1060052

The idea of a domed stadium in the heart of Toronto was born as terrible weather plagued the 1982 Grey Cup game, played at the late Exhibition Stadium near the shores of Lake Ontario.

"We want a dome!" the fans chanted.

Seven years later they got it. Three levels of government initially pledged $30 million each to help make the dream a reality. That was supposed to cover the lion's share of the estimated $150 million price. A collection of private sponsors kicked in the rest in exchange for exclusive advertising deals and first dibs at premium seating.

By the time Skydome opened — two months late — costs had soared to $570 million. The stadium was carrying a debt of $400 million by 1993. The stadium's primary tenants — the Toronto Blue Jays — filled the seats 81 days of the year. The Toronto Argonauts took care of another nine dates. Maybe 10 or 11, if they fielded a playoff-capable team. Still, this wasn't nearly enough to cover the bills.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
So why did the tax payer help fund the Skydome? Are the Blue Jays a for profit company?

A big part of the reason that the province wants nothing to do with building stadiums is because of the mess that paying for the Skydome turned out to be.

...and there are a lot of things that we did 25 years ago that look foolish in hindsight, and I don't just mean hairstyles and fashion.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Kind of a side note, but what do you think a good capacity would be for a new arena? Would it be similar to the current one, or lower?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
A big part of the reason that the province wants nothing to do with building stadiums is because of the mess that paying for the Skydome turned out to be.

...and there are a lot of things that we did 25 years ago that look foolish in hindsight, and I don't just mean hairstyles and fashion.

The hairstyles and fashion are coming back in again.. So by that logic.... ;)

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Kind of a side note, but what do you think a good capacity would be for a new arena? Would it be similar to the current one, or lower?

18,000. Consistent sellouts, higher average price. Creation of demand, and a consistent atmosphere.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
18,000. Consistent sellouts, higher average price. Creation of demand, and a consistent atmosphere.

Nah I can't see fewer than 19K for arena capacity. Winnipeg has barely over 15K and they are hardly cutting it. Owners want revenue and a money stream so smaller NHL arena are things of the past. With proper product and a central location, the Sens can do no wrong here. This is not the CFL where to notion is to build small little stadium like Lansdowne. Go big or go home!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Too lazy to read through so many pages but how would traffic be resolved going to the down town sector?

I understand that public transportation is an option but I don't really think families with kids would want to travel using public means

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nah I can't see fewer than 19K for arena capacity. Winnipeg has barely over 15K and they are hardly cutting it. Owners want revenue and a money stream so smaller NHL arena are things of the past. With proper product and a central location, the Sens can do no wrong here. This is not the CFL where to notion is to build small little stadium like Lansdowne. Go big or go home!

Hey, while we're on the subject of capacity, has there been any public release from the team about a major renovation involving seated areas at the CTC for next year?

Living in Indonesia, I sometimes miss non-hockey-ops related press-releases made by the team.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Too lazy to read through so many pages but how would traffic be resolved going to the down town sector?

I understand that public transportation is an option but I don't really think families with kids would want to travel using public means

LRT is supposed to be literally at the door step of a new building, and from what i understand the idea is for it to be like the center point for said LRT, similar to Union in tdot. People coming from and leaving in 4 different directions, as opposed to 1.

Also families will have to adapt and use said public transport like most/every other family does in north america when attending a sporting event. See Ottawa Redblacks games for example.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

...then families should get over their irrational fears that public transportation is some breeding ground for drunkenness, urination, and sexual harassment.

Those who don't want to leave the protective bubble of their SUV assault vehicles will just have to watch the game at home.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
...then families should get over their irrational fears that public transportation is some breeding ground for drunkenness, urination, and sexual harassment.

Those who don't want to leave the protective bubble of their SUV assault vehicles will just have to watch the game at home.

SUV? Pfffft. Only way to make decent time down the Queensway during rush hour is to have one of these babies....

madmax_furyroad_03.jpg

dpw

Jul 29, 2004

:handclap:

It would be less stressful not having to attack the traffic and park. Would not have to leave early to beat traffic. Once the game is over step outside of arena and BOOM on the train home or to your car.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014

Along with the LRT aka Streetcar, there will most likely be shuttle buses to nearby satellite parking lots should there not be sufficient parking on site.

I also see the O Train, that currently ends at Bayview yards, perhaps being extended to a Lebreton Flats Arena.

I know for a fact that I would never drive to an Arena at Lebreton Flats for couple number of reasons.

- quicker and cheaper to get there (and back) on OCTranspo because of it's dedicated bus lanes

- Won't have to pay for parking & gas, and will most likely buy a beer or two more than now (because I drive to and from the CTC)

Last edited:

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Hey, while we're on the subject of capacity, has there been any public release from the team about a major renovation involving seated areas at the CTC for next year?

Living in Indonesia, I sometimes miss non-hockey-ops related press-releases made by the team.

The are updating some of their box seats. They have a display center at the valet parking entrance showing the new format. Apparently they toured a number of stadiums to see what has been done.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The are updating some of their box seats. They have a display center at the valet parking entrance showing the new format. Apparently they toured a number of stadiums to see what has been done.

Hmm, ok. I'll take a look at Gate 2 to see the display center when I'm at the Lightning game in January.

Just wondering what was out there at the moment. Thanks.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad