Patrick Wiercioch
Cody Ceci
Chris Phillips
Mark Borowiecki
Fredrik Claesson
Chris Wideman

What to do with da fence?

pressure-fence.gif

The Senators have a lot of defencemen. 7 one-way contracts and Cody Ceci being told to find a house in Ottawa. Also many solid youngsters coming up. What to do with all of them?

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Gryba, even though he's played well and is fairly solid, should be moved rather than Wiercioch.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Erik Karlsson
Jared Cowen
Marc Methot
Eric Gryba
Patrick Wiercioch
Cody Ceci
Chris Phillips
Mark Borowiecki
Fredrik Claesson
Chris Wideman

What to do with da fence?

pressure-fence.gif

The Senators have a lot of defencemen. 7 one-way contracts and Cody Ceci being told to find a house in Ottawa. Also many solid youngsters coming up. What to do with all of them?

Where's the option to trade Karlsson?

Seriously though, just convert a couple to forward. Boro seems like a good option, and Phillips has played wing earlier in his career. Problem solved.

You can thank me later.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Seriously though, just convert a couple to forward. Boro seems like a good option, and Phillips has played wing earlier in his career. Problem solved.

You can thank me later.

Must have forgot to add it as an option.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gryba, even though he's played well and is fairly solid, should be moved rather than Wiercioch.

We lack depth on the Right side. If one of Karlsson, Ceci or... well that's pretty much it for RD depth in our system. If a RD goes down we don't have anyone to call up.

WhiteLight*

Interesting choice and although gryba is the least skilled and least fleet footed, he is one of only 3 guys who play the right and the most consistent defensive player.

So pros and cons

You can thank me later.

lets be serious doh. camon man, trad Karlsson? :huh:

source

Jul 13, 2008
1) Sign Marc Methot to a long-term deal before the season.

2) Cut Wideman and Claesson before the season.

3) Trade Bobby Ryan for a #3 d-man with term remaining on his contract; waive Borowiecki.

4) Hope the young ones improve.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Interesting choice and although gryba is the least skilled and least fleet footed, he is one of only 3 guys who play the right and the most consistent defensive player.

So pros and cons

lets be serious doh. camon man, trad Karlsson? :huh:

Well it seems management wanted Wier on the right side so that leaves Wier, Karlsson, and Ceci if Gryba is moved. I think one of Wier and Gryba is going to be moved for a FWD so I'd prefer if it was Gryba not Wier. I think Wier has a good chance of putting up 40pts if he gets PP time.

WhiteLight*

Well it seems management wanted Wier on the right side so that leaves Wier, Karlsson, and Ceci if Gryba is moved. I think one of Wier and Gryba is going to be moved for a FWD so I'd prefer if it was Gryba not Wier. I think Wier has a good chance of putting up 40pts if he gets PP time.

yeah they experimented with that but it didn't go that well. PW isn't advanced enough on a defensive level, playing the angles and such, to move over I think. Maybe he can do it this year

Waive Boro. I doubt he'll get picked up with that new contract.

Forgot that option, realized right after clicking submit

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I am not a fan of having 8 defencemen in your lineup. I would wish the Senators could or would move Phillips but highly unlikely to happen, so that leaves me to Gryba to be traded out and keep C.Philly as the 7th D.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I am not a fan of having 8 defencemen in your lineup. I would wish the Senators could or would move Phillips but highly unlikely to happen, so that leaves me to Gryba to be traded out and keep C.Philly as the 7th D.

Trading Gryba leaves the Sens with 2 RD. What happens if Ceci has a sophmore slump? We're down to 1 RD. Gryba is needed. He was very effective on the bottom pairing last season.

Either Cowen or Methot have to go if someone must be traded. We got lots defensive dmen in the system anyways.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Trading Gryba leaves the Sens with 2 RD. What happens if Ceci has a sophmore slump? We're down to 1 RD. Gryba is needed. He was very effective on the bottom pairing last season.

Either Cowen or Methot have to go if someone must be traded. We got lots defensive dmen in the system anyways.

Well out of those two I'd want Methot to stay but if he doesn't sign, see you later.
I personally think Ceci is on the rise and will continue to prosper.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Phillips-Wiercioch

Boro Gryba- trade one, and then let the other come in or out of the lineup.

Play the F out of the top line. Hopefully Ceci can handle top 4 minutes and Cowen improves. Slide Wier or Phillips up or down. Boro or Gryba +- Wier need to prove they are actually top 6 d

ErikNorrisson

Mar 22, 2012
I don't know if I'd be willing to give Cowen top line D minutes just yet.
I'd stick with Methot and EK.

I think Cowen should be expected to play as a 3/4 defenceman this year, especially with the way he's being paid. Whether he'll be able to do that is a whole other story.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Phillips-Wiercioch

We desperately need Ceci and Cowen to have stellar seasons for this team to make the playoffs. Otherwise it'll all depend on one pairing and that's just not realistic. Of course we could also trade/acquire a true top-2 or 3 dman, pair him with EK and let things settle in their proper place, but something tells me that is even less realistic.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I don't know if I'd be willing to give Cowen top line D minutes just yet.
I'd stick with Methot and EK.

No matter what the combinations are, someones playing above where they can handle it.

Best we can do is overplay Methot-Karlsson and split time between the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad