Line Combos: Ottawa Senators Defence

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No matter what the combinations are, someones playing above where they can handle it.

Best we can do is overplay Methot-Karlsson and split time between the rest.

Karlsson can carry a pair, so why not split him up from Methot. Gryba Methot made a great shutdown pair in the lockout shortened season, that leaves one of Cowen, Wier or Phillips to play with Ceci and one to play with Karlsson (not Phillips).

Boro can sub in for injuries, or bad play.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Methot-Karlsson had some success in the nhl
Wier-Gryba Great AHL chemistry
Boro-Ceci Played together in the ahl

Cowen

Phillips

Voted to trade Cowen but only if the right deal is out there. I imagine he has some value, probably more then wier and we can escape the contract hes under if he only turns out to be a 800k dmen

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This is not a win now, but to develop chemistry for when our window opens, we will get a top draft pick this year as a bonus for it.

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Claesson - Gryba
Boro

Phillips

in the future I see it as

Cowen - Karlsson , #1 Paring
Wikstrand - Wiercioch , The Wik-Wier Line.
Cleasson - Englund , Shut Down pairing

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I did say yet, just not at the start of the season. I'd want hopefully a boost of confidence before I'd start switching players around and seeing if they could play the better lines and take a larger chunk of time. I'd like to see how Cowen takes to this upcoming season, and that goes with every other defenceman.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This is not a win now, but to develop chemistry for when our window opens, we will get a top draft pick this year as a bonus for it.

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Claesson - Gryba
Boro

Phillips

Did Methot spontaneously combust in your reality or something?

And these present and future pairings are terrible. Sorry. We don't know if Cowen will ever be top-2 material. Same goes for Wier and Wik as top-4 guys. Ceci is already ahead of them imo and I don't see why we'd trade him unless he regresses immensely.

We're going to eventually need outside help anyway. One of those top-4 spots is in desperate need of good ol' talented veteran presence.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Keep Gryba.

Of course keep Gryba. He was arguably our best defender the second half of the season. I'd love to start like this, even though there is zero chance that will happen:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Wier - Ceci

Phillips/Boro extra.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Of course keep Gryba. He was arguably our best defender the second half of the season. I'd love to start like this, even though there is zero chance that will happen:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Wier - Ceci

Phillips/Boro extra.

Swap Cowen and Wiercioch.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Wier - Ceci

Phillips/Boro extra.

This is a tire fire of a pairing. Does anyone else here think Gryba was even our 4th best D last year?

Two D with little mobility and and even less decision making... I vote no

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Some people must think that Murray signed Phillips and Boro this year without taking into consideration how many defensemen are on one way contracts.

You NEED depth on the back end, somebody is always getting hurt. Competition is good. Having options is good. If all of them are healthy and you've got quality players sitting in the press box every game, well then you might have to make a tough decision.

A tougher position to be in is when you have to make a choice between Wideman or Grant in the top 4. I'd rather have the option of sending Ceci down or sit Gryba or whoever.

Keep 8 and see how things play out.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Claesson - Gryba
Boro

Phillips

In the future I can see

Methot - Karlsson , Ottawan-Swede pairing
Englund - Ceci , Ottawan-Swede pairing
Wikstrand - Boro , Ottawan-Swede pairing

:sarcasm:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
This is a tire fire of a pairing. Does anyone else here think Gryba was even our 4th best D last year?

Two D with little mobility and and even less decision making... I vote no

Did you even watch last year? Gryba was probably the most consistent D for 2/3rds of the season. He had a rough start, but was solid for the most part. I'd argue he was our best D. On top of that, Cowen and Gryba were paired up for a good chunk last year and they did well. Not great, but you'd hard to find any pairing that did great.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Erik Karlsson
Jared Cowen
Marc Methot
Eric Gryba
Patrick Wiercioch
Cody Ceci
Chris Phillips
Mark Borowiecki
Fredrik Claesson
Chris Wideman

What to do with da fence?

pressure-fence.gif

The Senators have a lot of defencemen. 7 one-way contracts and Cody Ceci being told to find a house in Ottawa. Also many solid youngsters coming up. What to do with all of them?
That's a nice looking fence.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Karlsson and Cowen are not going to make a good pairing IMO. Cowen isn't suited to play at the high tempo Karlsson does, so he just gets left behind. You pretty much have to use all 5 skaters in every zone now, so it's just not going to work.

I think Methot is the best bet to play well with Karlsson. He's average at just about everything and has no major deficiencies, so he won't really raise the play of his partner but he won't slow down a better one either.

Wier and Ceci both play at a similar pace and both can move the puck well, so they complement each other nicely. Pair them up so they can pass the puck to each other to deal with heavy forechecks. They also played well together for the last 5-10 games of last season.

The last pairing is going to be the one that loses them a bunch of games. Gryba is the best out of the 4, so put him on the right side, rotate the other 3 through the left side and play the best performer for most of the games. Try really hard to keep them off the ice against anyone other than 4th lines and weak 3rd lines. Have them focus heavily on the PK.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Guise, remember those times cowen would play down low in the offensive zone? He looked super awesome in those three or so moments. Convert him to forward, solve search for pfw.

:sarcasm:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There is another way to get rid of a defensemen.

Methot-Ceci
Cowen-Weircioch
Gryba-Phillips
Boro

All you have to do is convert Karlsson to a forward. :P:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad