Post-Game Talk: Ottawa Senators at New York Rangers 12/6/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Not enough of this being talked about. They were fantastic at points. I think Hayes and Miller should be switched though.

Those are the three most frequent shooters on the team, they will cycle and shoot a lot. It's not reflected in his raw stats because Lindberg doesn't get a lot of ice time but he shoots a lot. 3rd on the team in attempts per 60.

Hayes was awful last night, agreed.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Rangers absolutely have to lock Yandle up long term or move him at the deadline...cant have a #1 defenseman walk for nothing in the offseason...horrendous asset management if they do.

I don't buy the asset management point. The Rangers gave up a 1st and a AAA NHL ready prospect to get at least 2 playoff runs out of Yandle. Unless they can package him for an upgrade, which is unlikely, they can't trade him.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't buy the asset management point. The Rangers gave up a 1st and a AAA NHL ready prospect to get at least 2 playoff runs out of Yandle. Unless they can package him for an upgrade, which is unlikely, they can't trade him.

you dont let number 1 defenseman walk for nothing. make an aggressive push to lock him up at the trade deadline, if it doesnt work, you trade him. i dont care about 1 playoff run. i care about the long term health of this team.

at his cap hit, you could EASILY get back what they traded for him. especially now that hes on a winning team and putting up points.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Those are the three most frequent shooters on the team, they will cycle and shoot a lot. It's not reflected in his raw stats because Lindberg doesn't get a lot of ice time but he shoots a lot. 3rd on the team in attempts per 60.

Hayes was awful last night, agreed.

Finding a LW/RW for Brass and Zucc who can create off the rush and off the cycle incredibly well together is a much easier task than trying to plug that hole for Stepan and Kreider.

Keep Nash with Kreider, ride the hot hand with who you play with Zucc and Brass. Hayes, Lindberg, Miller, Etem can all get looks there internally. Maybe Semin would be useful there. It's a spot I could maybe see him succeeding in, though I hate Semin. Definitely if we got a rental like Vrbata I'd rather see him play with Brass and Zucc than with Stepan and Kreider.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Rangers absolutely have to lock Yandle up long term or move him at the deadline...cant have a #1 defenseman walk for nothing in the offseason...horrendous asset management if they do.

If they're in a position to contend they're not going to move him even if they know he's not going to re-sign. the only way that happens is if for some reason another team wants to move an equal player in exchange.

I'm not sure why people don't generally understand this...contending teams don't move top players at the trade deadline because they might lose them later solely for the purpose of "asset management". It's dumb to do so. The goal is to win the cup, and Yandle on the team gives them a better change than Yandle not on the team.

The Rangers moved Callahan not just because of his expiring contract but because they saw they could use him as part of a trade to acquire a better player for their cup run. If there's even a vague chance that Yandle is traded it will be a similar situation...the Rangers moving him for a comparable or better player, but also realize that would mean picks or prospects going the other way as well.

They're not going to move him for depth players or picks/prospects. And it's not horrible asset management to play it like that. Horrible asset management is making your team worse right before the playoffs when you have a legit chance to win the cup.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If they're in a position to contend they're not going to move him even if they know he's not going to re-sign. the only way that happens is if for some reason another team wants to move an equal player in exchange.

I'm not sure why people don't generally understand this...contending teams don't move top players at the trade deadline because they might lose them later solely for the purpose of "asset management". It's dumb to do so. The goal is to win the cup, and Yandle on the team gives them a better change than Yandle not on the team.

The Rangers moved Callahan not just because of his expiring contract but because they saw they could use him as part of a trade to acquire a better player for their cup run. If there's even a vague chance that Yandle is traded it will be a similar situation...the Rangers moving him for a comparable or better player, but also realize that would mean picks or prospects going the other way as well.

They're not going to move him for depth players or picks/prospects. And it's not horrible asset management to play it like that. Horrible asset management is making your team worse right before the playoffs when you have a legit chance to win the cup.

rangers threatened to do this each of the last 2 seasons. Girardi/Cally

and then again with Zucc last year.

Rangers could get some big time assets for Yandle. Long and the short of it though is I think the rangers need to lock him up long term. 6 years 36 mil.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Very tough call but agree with you. We aren't gonna get fair value for yandle so if this team is completely healthy we have to give it another go and see how far we can go in the playoffs.
Hopefully we can find a way to get him back here for 5 or 6 years at 6 million per.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Rangers could get some big time assets for Yandle. Long and the short of it though is I think the rangers need to lock him up long term. 6 years 36 mil.

What do you think we could get for yandle?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
What do you think we could get for yandle?

because of his contract you could send him to a contender in cap hell which is huge. im not sure what we could get, but id like to think a first or 2, and a # 1 prospect would be doable in a sellers market on an extremely favorable cap hit.

look at what Vermette got...and Yandle is a MUCH better and more impactful player.

again though, i dont want the rangers to trade him, i want the rangers to sign him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Unless it's another defenseman coming back, I'd rather risk it. It's just tossing away a Cup chance and Hank will be another year older.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

In none of those cases do I believe that those players were going to be traded for picks and prospects, though. That's the difference and the point I think Levitate was trying to make.

If there wasn't a player on the table who improved another area of the team or kept some level of status quo in one of those player's positions, they probably would have just been kept as that year's rental. The Rangers aren't moving guys just to acquire assets unless they're forced to by the cap.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't see any chance the Rangers deal Yandle for picks/prospects and simultaneously hurt their chances this year and improve the chances of someone they are competing with. The Rangers have threatened to trade guys a few times at the deadline and so far in a sample size of three two signed so we don't know what would have happened and the other was traded for an upgrade so so far we have never seen them make a move like this before. Has any legitimate contender in the past 5-10 years ever made such a move? As in a team that was like top 3 in their conference not some borderline playoff team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Right, if someone came along and said "oh we'll offer you Erik Karlsson for Keith Yandle because of some dumb reason" then you definitely get all interested. If someone says "we'll give you a prospect and a 1st rounder because we're a contender and want to put ourselves over the top" you probably don't because YOU are a contender and want to keep Yandle for the same reason someone would want to rade for him

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Right, if someone came along and said "oh we'll offer you Erik Karlsson for Keith Yandle because of some dumb reason" then you definitely get all interested. If someone says "we'll give you a prospect and a 1st rounder because we're a contender and want to put ourselves over the top" you probably don't because YOU are a contender and want to keep Yandle for the same reason someone would want to rade for him
Kreider miller and Yandle for Doughty plsss.

McD-Doughty.

Ohhh man.... what a dream :amazed:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

I think the hands are tied. If the Rangers move him, it hurts our offense, and if the Rangers move him to the wrong team, he will be helping our potential competition.

Also, a bottom feeder isn't going to trade for him unless they have an agreement on a re-sign, so this would mean we would have to trade with better teams, and the picks and prospects would be average.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If its true the Rangers had been after him for years, i would suspect they do all they can to sign him

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like people are worrying too much about sunk costs. Duclair is not coming back, a high price we paid at some point and can't do anything about is not a reason to trade your second best defenseman.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Were the NYR after him for years? Or Sather?

Big difference

Pretty sure Sather/Gorton wanted him for a while, and Maloney knew it. And due to how well Hayes was doing, they finally had the pieces they needed to get Maloney to agree to the trade.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I mean, if I was Yandle I'd be pretty insulted that at least two defenseman, clearly inferior in almost every way, play more than me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad