GDT: Ottawa Senators at Columbus Blue Jackets | 12/1 7:00 PM | Korpi returns

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Elvis in his postgame comments said the goalie coach has nothing to do with it, that it's all him.

I find that sort of comment cringey. But maybe it's true, I don't know.
Probably has more to do with sticking up for Legace, who he considers family. My struggles weren’t on Legace and my successes aren’t on Backstrom.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Elvis in his postgame comments said the goalie coach has nothing to do with it, that it's all him.

I find that sort of comment cringey. But maybe it's true, I don't know.

That is not good. I hope he misunderstood the question. A good coach brings out the best in players and a player should always know this.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Probably has more to do with sticking up for Legace, who he considers family. My struggles weren’t on Legace and my successes aren’t on Backstrom.

That is not good. I hope he misunderstood the question. A good coach brings out the best in players and a player should always know this.

I think he was giving himself credit.

He said his offseason training is what turned it around, and that he didn't have a goalie coach then.

I believe him, it's just a tactless way of saying it.

I should just avoid listening to Elvis interviews, there's always something that irks me.

joybang

Apr 5, 2021
I think he was giving himself credit.

He said his offseason training is what turned it around, and that he didn't have a goalie coach then.

I believe him, it's just a tactless way of saying it.

I should just avoid listening to Elvis interviews, there's always something that irks me.
He seems to carry that him against the world mentality almost to his detriment.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
We have to do something about these faceoff wins. They are killing us most of time especially in defensive draws.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I commented this in the Elvis thread but if anyone listened to the entire post game interview aired on 97.1 he gave Backstrom all kinds of credit for helping him mentally.

The part being out of context was the work on positioning that Elvis says he did a ton of himself this summer when coaches don't work with goalies. It is unfair to say he gives Backstrom no credit.

Portzline then fed the leading question to Vincent postgame giving only 1 side of the story that gave Pascal only part of the comments to respond to in his postgame.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
This is untrue.

Shots were:
1st: Ottawa 16 - Columbus 11
2nd: 11 - 5
3rd: 16 - 7
Total: 43 - 23

They allowed 16 shots in the 3rd period while trying to protect the lead.

And it is clearly visible why - When protecting the lead they just form up in the center of the ice and swing their sticks back and forth like they're killing a penalty. When they do get the puck, they just look to clear the zone as opposed to send a play in transition. And our centers are way too passive - they need to constantly be looking to close the gap and pressure the puck carrier in all situations. That's what teams do to us and it works.
I stand corrected

Reactions: Crede777

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
He also said the goalie coach gives him "freedom" to do what he wants.

I commented this in the Elvis thread but if anyone listened to the entire post game interview aired on 97.1 he gave Backstrom all kinds of credit for helping him mentally.

The part being out of context was the work on positioning that Elvis says he did a ton of himself this summer when coaches don't work with goalies. It is unfair to say he gives Backstrom no credit.

Portzline then fed the leading question to Vincent postgame giving only 1 side of the story that gave Pascal only part of the comments to respond to in his postgame.
Pascal sounded pissed when he heard that.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Pascal sounded pissed when he heard that.
I wish I could find posted audio of the entire exchange that aired on my drive home. Maybe word choices weren't the greatest since English is like a 3rd or 4th language for Elvis but I saw no intent to belittle Backstrom at all like some people try to paint this.

I think most of us don't understand how a goalie/coach relationship works at this level. I also think Elvis was trying to be very careful to not belittle Manny as part of this exchange because the questions being posed to him were leading more towards "How great is Nicklas Backstrom?" if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Fred Glover

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I wish I could find posted audio of the entire exchange that aired on my drive home. Maybe word choices weren't the greatest since English is like a 3rd or 4th language for Elvis but I saw no intent to belittle Backstrom at all like some people try to paint this.

I think most of us don't understand how a goalie/coach relationship works at this level. I also think Elvis was trying to be very careful to not belittle Manny as part of this exchange because the questions being posed to him were leading more towards "How great is Nicklas Backstrom?" if I recall correctly.
So I heard it on radio on my drive home. It sounded exactly as it's been portrayed here so far.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So I heard it on radio on my drive home. It sounded exactly as it's been portrayed here so far.
ThenI think maybe we interpreted this differently.
I take this to mean he allows him to be himself and tries to use that to his advantage and not try to change him into something he is not.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
We can interpet it any way we see fit I guess. I really don't care as long as the team is winning. It's good it seems he straightened something out, good that maybe he is finally right in his head. The way he is playing makes his contract a little easier to stomach. But, he has been very streaky his whole career, so maybe he can stablize a little and be more consistant.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Lots of Rumors that Edmonton is targeting Elvis..
I just don't see a situation where it makes sense for either team. Of course Edmonton needs a goalie but where is the benefit to the CBJ unless we are just doing a fire sale and Edmonton is throwing a TON of draft picks. What or who on Edmonton is an improvement for the CBJ?

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I just don't see a situation where it makes sense for either team. Of course Edmonton needs a goalie but where is the benefit to the CBJ unless we are just doing a fire sale and Edmonton is throwing a TON of draft picks. What or who on Edmonton is an improvement for the CBJ?
Absolutely .. I’m sure from managements position , if they can get from under that contract , being at minimum a few years away , they will make that move .. they are already dealing with Laines contract , Guds contract

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Absolutely .. I’m sure from managements position , if they can get from under that contract , being at minimum a few years away , they will make that move .. they are already dealing with Laines contract , Guds contract
Laine has no-trade 10 teams. So they need the 3th team where Laine can play.
Btw, where is a source about Laine and Guds?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad