Prospect Info: Ottawa selects Viktor Lodin (C) 94th

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Likely would not have been drafted. Likely could have had him and used the pick on another player ... maybe a first year eligible player like Jordan Spence or Ethan Keppen or Tyce Thompson already in the NCAA..

No explanation
I like Ethan Keppen LW a lot, he has a non-stop motor isn't afraid to mix it up & is responsible defensively & can put up some pts. I would have taken him over Lodin but I know next to nothing about this guy. He looks alright at camp & even shows some glimpses of very good skill but so do most of the guys at camp, they are all there because they are good hockey players.

I'm just not sure what it is about this player that would make people think he's a future NHL player or why they reached to pick him, it makes no sense to me. He has decent size & if he fills out that frame would have the weight & maybe the strength & he has some skills. He's definitely a project & like Nurmi we'll have to wait & see if he ever ends up coming over full time to NA.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
This is a tough one as he was basically off everyone's radar and there are next to no highlights of him. But statistically, he did lead his team in ppg by quite a bit. He also thrived in the playoffs with 4g/4a in 4gp.

But more than the player I find the trend of (seemingly) annual picks of overage players to be interesting. Does the team see some form of market inefficiency they want to take advantage of? Does the team care less about age that they should? I have no idea but will be interesting to follow for a bit. It would be really cool if drafting overagers in rounds 4+ leads to a few good players. Things look promising with Batherson thus far. Maybe they're smarter than we think with this draft strategy, or maybe I'm grasping at straws. But I will watch for that in coming years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is a tough one as he was basically off everyone's radar and there are next to no highlights of him. But statistically, he did lead his team in ppg by quite a bit. He also thrived in the playoffs with 4g/4a in 4gp.

But more than the player I find the trend of (seemingly) annual picks of overage players to be interesting. Does the team see some form of market inefficiency they want to take advantage of? Does the team care less about age that they should? I have no idea but will be interesting to follow for a bit. It would be really cool if drafting overagers in rounds 4+ leads to a few good players. Things look promising with Batherson thus far. Maybe they're smarter than we think with this draft strategy, or maybe I'm grasping at straws. But I will watch for that in coming years.

Definitely looks like they are trying to identify the late riser that finally puts it all together.

Everyone always argues that development isn’t linear, so it stands to reason that some guys put it all together pretty later. It looks like few teams are looking at those guys at the moment, so maybe we nab a few before they become a heavily scouted group.

I do love a gamble with a late round pick. And those Euro scouts obviously saw something. Must be nice to have your GM and head of scouting let a pick go with YOUR gut!

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Lodin isn't a bad pick; he put up low numbers but that was expected as he's just a 20-year old in a men's league.
Prior to that he was a ppg in the lower league. Could turn out to be a decent middle-6 player down the line.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Lodin isn't a bad pick; he put up low numbers but that was expected as he's just a 20-year old in a men's league.
Prior to that he was a ppg in the lower league. Could turn out to be a decent middle-6 player down the line.

The European scouts really liked him but it did seem like a pretty big reach. Moving forward a couple of players to compare him against will be Jordan Spence, Michal Teply, Yegor Spirodonov, Lucas Feuk, Tuuka Tieksola and Ethan Keppen. All of them were drafted in the 4th round so we basically passed on them for Lodin. I wanted the Sens to draft Keppen and at this point I don't see how Lodin is a better prospect. Maybe that will change but I am skeptical.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Bring just ppg in the J20 at his age isn’t impressive at all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He showed the odd flash in the scrimmage. Still not sold on this guy, but there is still lots of time.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Limited highlights reminded me of Vitali Abramov, in a good way (soft hands, vision), though Lodin looks to be a better goal scorer and bigger. He comes in hot from Timra, playing key games on smaller ice, and seems to be thriving. The key for him would be to keep producing to get a serious look at training camp. The focus now is to help BSens make the post season.

I didn't know what to make of his production in Sweden, so his AHL debut is highly encouraging.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
No one has heard of this pick... and statistically it doesn't look like he did much... but . .let's face it it's Pierre Dorion so we should trust his draft picks because ..well he has to be good at something I suppose.
Thomson
Pinto
Sogaard
Lodin

amazing draft so far
Dorion is amazing

Agreed, what a great haul for us.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wouldn't it be great if this guy comes from obscurity to become a decent player for them, we should cheer for guys like that. I hope he does it, good luck Lodin or is it Odin or Lokie?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This whole draft cohort is a bit funny,

Thomson, panned for the pick at the time but he's turned things around since coming to Belleville and looks promising.

Pinto, panned for the pick with guys like Kaliyev, Brink and Lavoie still available, but looks like a great pick.

Sogaard, panned for the pick with Gustavson, Daccord and Mandolese already in the system and some really solid prospects still on the board, looking like a good pick

Lodin, panned as a reach, nobody new who he was, looking promising in Belleville.

Kastellic, getting late enough that not a lot of people know whether to criticize specific picks, but still got some "huh?" from this one, looks like a 4th line center going forward.

Guenette, I think people mostly liked this pick, but I don't really remember, 7th round picks don't often draw much criticism, nor do they often pan out, Guenette might pan out, he's looked pretty promising.

So, 3 years after the draft and every single pick looks like they still could pan out relative to their draft position, that's a solid if not great draft.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This whole draft cohort is a bit funny,

Thomson, panned for the pick at the time but he's turned things around since coming to Belleville and looks promising.

Pinto, panned for the pick with guys like Kaliyev, Brink and Lavoie still available, but looks like a great pick.

Sogaard, panned for the pick with Gustavson, Daccord and Mandolese already in the system and some really solid prospects still on the board, looking like a good pick

Lodin, panned as a reach, nobody new who he was, looking promising in Belleville.

Kastellic, getting late enough that not a lot of people know whether to criticize specific picks, but still got some "huh?" from this one, looks like a 4th line center going forward.

Guenette, I think people mostly liked this pick, but I don't really remember, 7th round picks don't often draw much criticism, nor do they often pan out, Guenette might pan out, he's looked pretty promising.

So, 3 years after the draft and every single pick looks like they still could pan out relative to their draft position, that's a solid if not great draft.

It went from "horrible draft" to :

Potential top 4 d-man- check
Top 6 centre - check
Top 6 winger- check
#1 goalie- check
Bottom 6 centre- check
Offensive 4-6 d-man- check

Very rarely does one draft net you a potential NHL player with every pick.

Reactions: aragorn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Even if we only get bottom 6, 3rd pairing D, or back up goaltending from each position we drafted, that's internal depth we don't have to overpay for on the market. On paper, makes Dorion's job to be able to target bigger needs a bit easier.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Responsible owners do not draft like this. They want big names at the draft to sell tickets. Not to draft unknown players. It is a joke. They will stay unknown.

How does drafting “big names” in the 4th round sell tickets ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad