Video Ottawa @ Philly, 20 Jan 2011

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind if Shelley fights Carkner later, but in this game it doesn't serve Shelley any good to do so so late in the game.

Jackie Treehorn

Sep 5, 2008
I'm not sure what happened when it looked like Carkner and Shelley were gonna go but then Shelley didn't. It might have been Shelley wanting to go Neil or maybe Carkner just dropped the gloves thinking it would force Shelley to go, even though he didn't want to.
My point is this, sure i'd like to see Shelley go Carkner, but he obviously wanted Neil because Neil was all over Giroux. Of course Neil was on Giroux cause he didn't like his hit.
This is the way it should work Giroux stood up for himself so did Neil, and I'm sure Shelley and Carkner will meet at some point.
Personally i think it's refreshing to see everybody answer the bell instead of watching a bunch of pukes like Kaleta and Cooke run around and then hide behind somebody else or the linesmen.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
What are you even talking about? O'Donnell was pretty willing, didn't get his left glove off and thus couldn't get a good grab on Carkner. As a result Carkner's right was totally free, and he started throwing hammers. O'Donnell, willing as he may be, isn't stupid enough to just stand there and let a guy like Carkner knock him out.

I wouldn't say anything about O'Donnell right now, just let that go. O'Donnell was willing until he realized he was in up to his eyeballs and he did what he had to do. I'm 'pretty willing' to swim with some Great Whites, but when the time comes, I think I'd do the same as O'Donnell and poop my pantaloons.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Giroux probably could have gotten 2 for charging, but it was still miles from a dirty hit. Shoulder on Shoulder

Winchester definitely landed more, but really neither of them did much. 2 big guys who suck at fighting

Carter's quote was funny: "I wasn't doing anything else out there, so I might as well fight".

So you think the hit was punishable but don't think it was dirty..... :huh: Mind explosion.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't say anything about O'Donnell right now, just let that go. O'Donnell was willing until he realized he was in up to his eyeballs and he did what he had to do. I'm 'pretty willing' to swim with some Great Whites, but when the time comes, I think I'd do the same as O'Donnell and poop my pantaloons.

O'Donnell has been in this league a long, long time. He knew exactly what was going on.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Did he know what was going on when he wet his pants?

I'm sure O'Donell knew exactly what was going to happen the man's had over 100 career NHL fights. He knew that he wasn't going to beat Carkner so he took a few shots then went down knowing that Carkner was very unlikely to beat him once he went down. O'Donell isn't some green rookie, he's not going to wet himself just because he has to take a few shots from Carkner.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm sure O'Donell knew exactly what was going to happen the man's had over 100 career NHL fights. He knew that he wasn't going to beat Carkner so he took a few shots then went down knowing that Carkner was very unlikely to beat him once he went down. O'Donell isn't some green rookie, he's not going to wet himself just because he has to take a few shots from Carkner.

He's still alive this morning, just be happy about that.

jb**

Did he know what was going on when he wet his pants?

You know this how? Did you meet up with sean after the game and he provided you with his soiled pants? Have you had a chance to validate the DNA to verify it truely is seans?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm not sure what happened when it looked like Carkner and Shelley were gonna go but then Shelley didn't. It might have been Shelley wanting to go Neil or maybe Carkner just dropped the gloves thinking it would force Shelley to go, even though he didn't want to.
My point is this, sure i'd like to see Shelley go Carkner, but he obviously wanted Neil because Neil was all over Giroux. Of course Neil was on Giroux cause he didn't like his hit.
This is the way it should work Giroux stood up for himself so did Neil, and I'm sure Shelley and Carkner will meet at some point.
Personally i think it's refreshing to see everybody answer the bell instead of watching a bunch of pukes like Kaleta and Cooke run around and then hide behind somebody else or the linesmen.

This post is dead on.

I've got no problem with Neil doing what he did aside from the fact that he did it against my team. His guy got knocked a little, and he went in to defend him (I'm fine with fights after clean hits, it's called gamesmanship).

Giroux answered the bell. Carter stood up for his teammate. Shelley threw down with the right guy. Even Neil as much as I can't stand the guy answered the bell.

That game was exactly what hockey is supposed to be. That's what it looked like when it was great.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
When a brawl is needed tune in to the Sens Flyers (or Sens Sabres).

Good stuff :handclap:

EDIT : for all this crap about who fought who... I could care less. Neil can take care of himself and he did.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You know this how? Did you meet up with sean after the game and he provided you with his soiled pants? Have you had a chance to validate the DNA to verify it truely is seans?

Yes, I met up with him and he showed me his soiled pantaloons. I haven't yet verified the DNA on the 'loons yet. Stay tuned.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Are we playing the "ignore Kaleta having a fight against basically every relevant middleweight" game again? The dude's definitely ducked some guys over his career (Cote last season because Cote jumped him from behind) but there's no way he's on the level of Matt "pull post-concussion Pominville out of the pile" Cooke.

And I don't really have an issue with any of the stuff from last night. A bunch of guys doing what they had to do, really.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Was at the game last night, 5 rows off centre ice behind the penalty box. Man when youre that close its like flying first class on an airplane, you DONT want to go back to coach. Kudos to the Flyer fans by me too, really good fans, talked a lot of hockey during the intermissions.

The speed of the players are insane, and even though we lost, I had a blast at the game, and the fights were definitely a great top off to the night. Im glad I got to witness live our team showing some guts and not backing down, loved it. Carkner and Neil are my absolute mancrushes for sure. I posted a pic in another thread, was right next to the Neil-Shelley tilt, was great to see up close.

And for the anti-fighting people in general, the fans sure were disinterested in all those fights. :sarcasm:
edit: Heres a good pic I got of the scrap. Why didnt I shoot video on my phone? Probably cause I was too drunk and totally forgot I had that feature.
IMAG0033.jpg

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

OD has been in the league 20 years and has dropped the gloves with guys like Carkner. He may not have won the fight but the guy is big enough and been around long enough to protect himself.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You think he'd rather be fighting Shelley, or winning a hockey game? Because I'd say the Sens frustration at getting stomped on the scoreboard was the whole reason for the fights in the first place.

It's a bit of both. Frustration, Giroux and Shelly not dropping them with Carks. Believe us, we know about frustration, we're all very frustrated, you'd have to be challenged not to be frustrated with being the worst team in the league. You think it's something we're proud of, this losing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad