Video Ottawa @ Philly, 20 Jan 2011

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Ruutu landed a couple of shots late and had the takedown as well.
How come you think that a takedown means anything? I've seen a lot of guys give the decision to a player because of a takedown. Last time I checked, this isn't MMA. I could get into a fight with Orr and take him down, does that mean I won?? No. Takedowns mean ****.

Carter- Winchester- draw
Giroux- Foligno- Foligno
Hartnell- Ruuttu- draw
Carkner- O'Donnell- nothing
Shelley- Neil- Shelley

Completely stupid for Giroux to have to defend himself for a clean hit. Props for him doing so.

HoverCarle*

Please. Winchester won that fight hands down, despite his foe being the mighty Visor Boy. And Hartnell did land a decent shot at the beginning, but most of his punches hit Ruutu's helmet. Ruutu landed a couple of shots late and had the takedown as well. What's that, Hartnell was wearing a visor as well? For shame. As a guy who drops the mitts from time to time, he should be shedding his bucket whenever he fights.

are you blind? Winchester also had a visor on. How can you call Carter "Visor Boy" when they both had visors on?

It is fair enough to call out Hartnell (though Ruutu seemed fine with it) but calling out Carter makes you look ignorant

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
Wash
Foligno
Hartnell
Carker
Shelley

as my 5 winners

Hartnell made Ukemi to save his dear life as soon as Ruutu got a strike through Hartnell's ***** slaps.

Can't give win for either of them for this scrap, but if Hartnell was man enough to fight till the end Ruutu would have re-arranged his face even with lady Hartnell having the visor on.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Led with his shoulder, did not take strides into the hit, wasnt blind side, did not leave his feet. The Ottawa player was simply caught with his head down.

Looks pretty clear to me from the first video 1:14 to 1:16 that Giroux leaves his feet on the hit. And no, it doesn't look like he 'exploded upwards after making contact'.

Call me crazy but I also think Winchester pretty clearly won his fight, he was the only guy landing any punches. Carter was punching air while Winchester was connecting with his punches, however ineffective they were.

HoverCarle*

Looks pretty clear to me from the first video 1:14 to 1:16 that Giroux leaves his feet on the hit.

Call me crazy but I also think Winchester pretty clearly won his fight, he was the only guy landing any punches. Carter was punching air while Winchester was connecting with his punches, however ineffective they were.

Giroux probably could have gotten 2 for charging, but it was still miles from a dirty hit. Shoulder on Shoulder

Winchester definitely landed more, but really neither of them did much. 2 big guys who suck at fighting

Carter's quote was funny: "I wasn't doing anything else out there, so I might as well fight".

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Giroux probably could have gotten 2 for charging, but it was still miles from a dirty hit. Shoulder on Shoulder

Winchester definitely landed more, but really neither of them did much. 2 big guys who suck at fighting

Carter's quote was funny: "I wasn't doing anything else out there, so I might as well fight".

I agree it was shoulder to shoulder, which for the most part can't actually hurt someone. Also quite impressed that he manned up and fought Foligno, something you don't see much these days. Eventhough it was in my mind a dirty hit (there's a penalty against it for a reason), someone like Giroux doesn't have to answer the bell with guys like Ruutu, Neil, or Carkner.

Carter's quote is pretty funny though, I like it when players have honest opinions of how they play. Sadly here in Ottawa we're used to the usual "Well we played a hard game, just couldn't find a way to win" when it's clear to everyone that the effort was sorely lacking.

All in all it was a good bunch of fights and the Sens finally showed some sack. I felt bad for Sean O'D, Shelley should have fought Carkner, so hopefully he'll buy the old man a steak.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If you're going to rip on anyone, it should be at Shelley for turning down Carkner, a man his own size, only to scrap with a middleweight like Neil a few minutes later.

Neil needed to get his ass kicked for jumping on Giroux and throwing punches while he was on the ice. I don't know if that was the reason why he ducked Carkner, as that's usually not Shelley's style he's usually a glorified punching bag. If he was set on waiting for Neil I'm 100% okay with that.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Completely stupid for Giroux to have to defend himself for a clean hit.

Completely stupid would be throwing a big hit late in a blowout game and expecting no response.

Props to Giroux for doing the right thing, even with a visor toss. He could teach Hartnell that one.

I don't know if that was the reason why he ducked Carkner, as that's usually not Shelley's style he's usually a glorified punching bag.

He probably didn't want to go on the IR like Godard and Boogaard.

Lost the battle, lost the war, but won the fights!!!!!1111

The Ottawa way for the rest of the season!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Enforcer 101: You're waiting for the guy who went after your teammate. That wasn't Matt Carkner, who just ended up looking like a fool. If Shelley fights Carkner, it gives Neil or someone else the green light to get after someone else. Zach Smith was on the ice, I wouldn't say he was trying to start trouble on purpose, but the Flyers thought so, and that's why Shelley was on the ice at the same time just in case he was.

Things like that is why Shelley got a $3M contract.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Enforcer 101: You're waiting for the guy who went after your teammate. That wasn't Matt Carkner, who just ended up looking like a fool. If Shelley fights Carkner, it gives Neil or someone else the green light to get after someone else. Zach Smith was on the ice, I wouldn't say he was trying to start trouble on purpose, but the Flyers thought so, and that's why Shelley was on the ice at the same time just in case he was.

I actually think Enforcer 101 : Stand up for your own actions. Shelley elbowed Smith in the head in the corner and refused to fight Carkner afterwards. The fights were more a result of that than the Giroux hit. Carkner even said himself that it would not have happened had Shelley obliged him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I actually think Enforcer 101 : Stand up for your own actions. Shelley elbowed Smith in the head in the corner and refused to fight Carkner afterwards. The fights were more a result of that than the Giroux hit. Carkner even said himself that it would not have happened had Shelley obliged him.

It wasn't Carkner's call. Shelley was the one who obviously was calling the shots, and if Neil had a problem with it he wouldn't have fought him. And I don't know if Smith got elbowed (didn't see it), Shelley was the last one in on that scrum. Carkner was small potatoes and sour grapes in this.

One of the reasons the brawl in 2004 happened was because all of the goons were off the ice, and allowed Neil and Chara to go after Radovan Somik and Mattias Timander. It probably would have been more fun if that did happen, but Shelley's paid to not let it get that far.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Flyers fans hate Shelley. We look for any reason we can find to rag on him, as many of us believe he cost us Gagne, at least in part.

The fact that any of us are giving him credit, let alone all of us, should speak volumes about how appropriately Shelley conducted himself on the ice last night.

He went a long way to earning his contract. A long way.

XtremeofParanoia

May 5, 2010
MA
Hartnell KO'd and still won?
I thought I was the Philly homer :laugh:

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Hartnell easily wins that fight then falls down. Wouldn't even give Ruutu credit for a take down.

My fight card:

Carter - Winchester- Slight edge to Carter
Giroux - Foligno: Foligno
Hartnell - Ruutu - Hartnell
Carkner - O'Donnell - Not worthy of a fighting major, but obviously Carkner
Shelley - Neil: Shelley

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
The real shame here is that Keith Jones didn't climb into the Sens press box and murder Denis Potvin for being an utter moron.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

No, no. Pretty sure if you poll people Shelly would look like a puss in boots. Not as much as O'Donnell, but still looked like a big meathead who was terrified of fighting Carkner - but would settle for Neil.

Fair enough as well, Carkner is one of the undisputed heavyweight kings now, these guys should be wary of him - ask Boogard about it.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Hartnell easily wins that fight then falls down. Wouldn't even give Ruutu credit for a take down.

My fight card:

Carter - Winchester- Slight edge to Carter
Giroux - Foligno: Foligno
Hartnell - Ruutu - Hartnell
Carkner - O'Donnell - Not worthy of a fighting major, but obviously Carkner
Shelley - Neil: Shelley

How does Carter win a fight in which he lands no punches? Yeah he threw a few, but none of them even hit Winchester. Conversely, Winchester landed about 3 softies, which in a bout where his opponent lands nothing, he should win.

Unless I'm missing something...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad