Rumor: Ottawa looking to add bottom 6 centre

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
What if Montreal retained 50%? Dvorak's caphit would be 2.225. Would probably cost a 1st rounder then though.
Then go find someone who wants that. Ottawa isn't looking to send out firsts for rentals that don't fit their cap situation. Also, if you had been paying attention, Ottawa has no fists to send out anymore because of conditions they placed on their current 1st.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
3rd LD

Chabot Zub
Chychrun Sanderson
Brannstrom Hamonic (or Thomson next season)

Edit: Or, he likes playing RD if the coach will let him, so

Chabot Zub
Chychrun Brannstrom
Sanderson Hamonic (or Thomson next season)

I really can't picture Sanderson outside your top 4 next year.

From my perspective, it would appear Brannstrom is now virtually blocked from being top 4 in Ottawa, and just strikes me as an imperfect fit on the bottom pair if you're trying to bring along other younger D. I was just fully expecting to see him included in the Chychrun return when the news broke, would be a lot more opportunity in Arizona.

Anyway all that aside, the price on Grant is probably somewhere in the mid round pick range. Sokolov may understandably still hold too much intrigue, but the idea was to get someone out of Belleville who is deserving of immediate NHL minutes. Anaheim has a pretty wide open chance for someone to carve out an immediate role. Maybe a Guenette or Crookshank

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Too much term, too much money, and if Ottawa was willing to give up a 4th, they would have grabbed someone already.

If someone isn't looking to dump someone for, like a 6th, I don't think Ottawa is interested.

Too much term? Too much money?

Dickinson has 1 yr at $2.65M on his contract

That is far from too much term and his play this year is more than worth close to that $ which is going rate for 3rd liners

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

That is far from too much term and his play this year is more than worth close to that $ which is going rate for 3rd liners

Yea, that's a lot for us. We thinking of trading Joseph let alone add another 2.5 bottom 6 guy.

If retained 40% then we are in talks.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Brannstrom has no chance on Ottawa anymore. I would love to trade him+ for someone like Jeremy Lauzon.

Edit: This was in reply to the Brannstrom talk earlier.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Ottawa isn't looking to send out firsts for rentals that don't fit their cap situation.
Well that's an oxymoron. Can't be both at the same time.

Ottawa has no fists to send out anymore because of conditions they placed on their current 1st.
Can't you make a condition that you trade the 1st that didn't end up getting moved in the previous trade? Not sure.

Then go find someone who wants that.
Lol no I won't. I'm not the GM, neither are you. We are just throwing out ideas on an internet message board.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

He makes 2.65M this year AND next year. The extra year causes Ottawa problems. 2.65 is fine for this season, but he's an injury replacement and we have no room or role for him next season.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I really can't picture Sanderson outside your top 4 next year.

From my perspective, it would appear Brannstrom is now virtually blocked from being top 4 in Ottawa, and just strikes me as an imperfect fit on the bottom pair if you're trying to bring along other younger D. I was just fully expecting to see him included in the Chychrun return when the news broke, would be a lot more opportunity in Arizona.

Anyway all that aside, the price on Grant is probably somewhere in the mid round pick range. Sokolov may understandably still hold too much intrigue, but the idea was to get someone out of Belleville who is deserving of immediate NHL minutes. Anaheim has a pretty wide open chance for someone to carve out an immediate role. Maybe a Guenette or Crookshank
Players get injured. Minutes need to be spread out more than they have been. Cap space needs to be managed too. Brannstrom is cheap, improving, getting more experienced, and can play up the lineup in case on injuries. That has value.

Well that's an oxymoron. Can't be both at the same time.

Can't you make a condition that you trade the 1st that didn't end up getting moved in the previous trade? Not sure.

Lol no I won't. I'm not the GM, neither are you. We are just throwing out ideas on an internet message board.
And you suggested a bad idea.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Chychrun sucked as a RD in Arizona. Sanderson is great with the puck which is what a LHD on the right side needs.
God no. Joseph brings much needed speed. Dvorak is not what this team needs.

Sanderson is the one who i think moves to right. His escapability is the best on the team.
Sanderson has said he doesn't envision himself ever playing RD. I agree with the eye test, but I think that fact has to be considered too.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Players get injured. Minutes need to be spread out more than they have been. Cap space needs to be managed too. Brannstrom is cheap, improving, getting more experienced, and can play up the lineup in case on injuries. That has value.

In your opinion which is based on questionable analysis, yes. That has literally zero relevance on what could actually happen though.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Suter could be a good candidate here. He did a great job against McDavid last time the Oilers played Detroit.

Why would Detroit trade him though?
Simple. He’s UFA. They could always re-sign him though. He’s developed into a nice defensive presence.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Absolutely, but players also get fed up with sitting in the press box waiting for a teammate to be injured. It's frankly just not the role Brannstrom belongs in at this juncture of his career.

He'll be 24 before the start of next season and has been in and out of the lineup for three seasons now. If he's seeing more press box than ice time for the rest of this year, it's pretty easy to picture him wanting out this summer.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Absolutely, but players also get fed up with sitting in the press box waiting for a teammate to be injured. It's frankly just not the role Brannstrom belongs in at this juncture of his career.

He'll be 24 before the start of next season and has been in and out of the lineup for three seasons now. If he's seeing more press box than ice time for the rest of this year, it's pretty easy to picture him wanting out this summer.
He won't be in the press box long term, it was one game where they emergency added Chychrun and it caused some issues. Brannstrom likely has a role on the Sens next season, Holden does not. He's 23 now and will probably have 200 NHL games of experience by the end of the season. He's played more minutes and more difficult minutes every season so far and his ice time has steadily increased year on year. Just because he never became a #1 defenseman, doesn't mean he doesn't have value as a 5-6 guy who can move the puck without turnovers and keep the puck out of the net. He's also going to be cheap and again, just because Ottawa has Chabot and likely one of Sanderson/Chychrun above him on the depth chart doesn't mean having a guy who can play 20-30 games in the top-4 during a season doesn't have value. Chychrun and Chabot get injured. Ottawa needs someone reliable to fill in and Brannstorm is probably ottawa's best option for that.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

He's 4th in line as an offensive weapon (among dmen) for Ottawa now. If I were him, I'd ask for a trade honestly. I certainly wouldn't blame him. It's a similar situation to Sandin in some ways.

My ideal realistic acquisitions would be:
LD - Jeremy Lauzon to replace Brannstrom
2C - Kerfoot, Monahan, or P.Sutter as a rental
Also a goalie but that's not realisitc right now

Brady - Jimmy - G
Cat - 2C - Bath
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Brassard - Kastelic/Gambrell - Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Lauzon - Hamonic

Talbot
Sogaard

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Let me tell you about Tyler Johnson.

2-time Stanley Cup champion.

Locker room veteran.

Wore the "A" once in junior hockey.

But wait there's more!

We'll even throw in 50% retention!

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Id Florida is moving Gudas, I wonder if Staal would be willing to come to Ottawa. He's basically ideal. I'm sure someone would offer something good though, he's super cheap.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
And he isnt very good. Especially for the hilarious price tag they want for him.
For all intents and purposes pertaining to the Senators competing at the contract he is worth negative value to us. Will do more harm than good.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad