Rumor: Ottawa looking to add bottom 6 centre

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's 4th in line as an offensive weapon (among dmen) for Ottawa now. If I were him, I'd ask for a trade honestly. I certainly wouldn't blame him. It's a similar situation to Sandin in some ways.

My ideal realistic acquisitions would be:
LD - Jeremy Lauzon to replace Brannstrom
2C - Kerfoot, Monahan, or P.Sutter as a rental
Also a goalie but that's not realisitc right now

Brady - Jimmy - G
Cat - 2C - Bath
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Brassard - Kastelic/Gambrell - Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Lauzon - Hamonic

Talbot
Sogaard

Henrique would look good in the 2C spot, but the uncertainty around his injury situation may make that tough.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Nico Sturm? 2 x 2M after this year. My only question would be if he can play wing

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
His contract is reasonable though. Why not take him and be set to contend next year as well?
His contract is not reasonable to me, when you consider we have options that can fill the same role at/or cheaper or a price, without giving up assets, and probably at a cheaper cap hit. (Without blocking players that are ready to make an impact now that is part of our core).

Not to mention the contracts we are about to give out.

If he had one year left it would be better but if he had one year left I think he would have more value, we’re not at that place to shell out premium assets for a rental.

We aren’t a Dvorak away from winning the cup this year, and straying away from our timeline to use him to just make the playoffs isn’t worth it.

Reactions: hn777

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Maybe the third team in the Penguins/Sharks/Bonino deal is Ottawa. Bonino to Ottawa! :D

Reactions: hn777

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
His contract is not reasonable to me, when you consider we have options that can fill the same role at/or cheaper or a price, without giving up assets, and probably at a cheaper cap hit. (Without blocking players that are ready to make an impact now that is part of our core).

Not to mention the contracts we are about to give out.

If he had one year left it would be better but if he had one year left I think he would have more value, we’re not at that place to shell out premium assets for a rental.

We aren’t a Dvorak away from winning the cup this year, and straying away from our timeline to use him to just make the playoffs isn’t worth it.

That’s what I meant though. Ottawa is not gonna win it this season. Why why not acquire him now and have him for when you are contenting?

Are there equivalent cheaper options? Maybe there are but he is still paid a reasonable amount.

It seems like he does not enjoy playing in Montreal though so maybe he wants to go to some place much further away than Ottawa.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Henrique would look good in the 2C spot, but the uncertainty around his injury situation may make that tough.

Absolutely, but he would also need 50% or even double 50% retention to make next year work unfortunately.
50% = 2.913 cap hit
75% = 1.456 cap hit
A rental works better for that reason.

Maybe this (add picks where needed) as a base?

To Ottawa:
Henrique @ 1.456
Kulikov - UFA

To Anaheim:
Brannstrom - RFA
50% of Henrique - 2.913

To Team 3:
25% of Henrique - 1.456

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
That’s what I meant though. Ottawa is not gonna win it this season. Why why not acquire him now and have him for when you are contenting?

Are there equivalent cheaper options? Maybe there are but he is still paid a reasonable amount.

It seems like he does not enjoy playing in Montreal though so maybe he wants to go to some place much further away than Ottawa.
We do not need reasonable amount contracts right now. We can’t go out and acquire players that are paid reasonable amount, let alone teetering on it, to fill out a position of strength while sending out assets to do so.

I would not choose to pay him his contract and have him play in our line up over the next two years over Stützle, Norris, Pinto and Greig. He isn’t even a better option at 3C than Pinto this year, let alone next year and the year after.

We are looking for another Brassard, who has probably played equal Dvorak this year.

Him having term on his contract puts us in a worse position going forwards, not better. Despite viewing him as reasonably paid optimistically, which I think he’s borderline.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Absolutely, but he would also need 50% or even double 50% retention to make next year work unfortunately.
50% = 2.913 cap hit
75% = 1.456 cap hit
A rental works better for that reason.

Maybe this (add picks where needed) as a base?

To Ottawa:
Henrique @ 1.456
Kulikov - UFA

To Anaheim:
Brannstrom - RFA
50% of Henrique - 2.913

To Team 3:
25% of Henrique - 1.456

Brannstrom just isn't a good fit for Anaheim, very flush with those type of D.

Fowler, Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger etc are going to need more defensively inclined compliments.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Brannstrom just isn't a good fit for Anaheim, very flush with those type of D.

Fowler, Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger etc are going to need more defensively inclined compliments.
I mean, the thing is, Brannstrom has become a primarily defensive player. Offense is lacking, does a nice job defending.

Reactions: NB613

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's 4th in line as an offensive weapon (among dmen) for Ottawa now. If I were him, I'd ask for a trade honestly. I certainly wouldn't blame him. It's a similar situation to Sandin in some ways.

My ideal realistic acquisitions would be:
LD - Jeremy Lauzon to replace Brannstrom
2C - Kerfoot, Monahan, or P.Sutter as a rental
Also a goalie but that's not realisitc right now

Brady - Jimmy - G
Cat - 2C - Bath
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Brassard - Kastelic/Gambrell - Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Lauzon - Hamonic

Talbot