News Article: Ottawa is 25th in ufa desirability

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
That explains it. Most Torontonians I've met are good people, but a lot of them seem to have born with a silver spoon up their butt and have an incredibly snobby attitude towards Ottawa.

After being raised in Ottawa and moving to Toronto, I totally get it. Ottawa has got beauty that Toronto lacks, but Toronto has it beat everywhere else.

Toronto is a better city by a fair margin.

Also, I once had a conversation with Georges Laracque at a gala, and he told me that Ottawa is not a desireable destination for players. Neither was Montreal or Toronto, but for different reasons (media and pressure).

Last edited:

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
Same with the above poster. Born and raised in Ottawa but have been living in Toronto for the past 13 years. Like many of other posters have stated, really depends on the players lifestyle and preferences.

Ottawa would be great for settling and raising a family (possibly a factor for Corvo). It has a nice small town feel with a few big city amenities. Toronto, in comparison to Ottawa, has much more exciting things to do for maybe a single person or young couple.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Could care less about the opinion list, but for those on here saying Ottawa is not a beautiful city, well those of us that prefer nature over buildings disagree!

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
If we are one UFA away from winning the cup we are #1. Winning fixes everything.

But seriously how did you think we would finish? compare us to Toronto, NYC, anyplace in Cali, Florida, ...

these are premier places where I go to vacation lol if I coudl live there and earn a great living thats where I'm going.

Surprised Detroit is so high tho, I've been to Detroit lol Detroit is terrible

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'd have Ottawa higher than 25th on a desirability list. Still this is just an opinion article and nothing more.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Wouldnt take what this person says very seriously, granted I think the point that Ottawa isn't one of the more desirable hockey destinations is a valid one.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
If I was a free agent I'd like to move to Ottawa. I don't live in Ottawa - but of all the cities I've been to it is my favourite 'big' city and the one I'd like to live in. One of the reasons I'm a Sens fan is the city.

Someone start a thread.

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa
Let me tell you this. I live in Toronto and I think it's absolutely a horrific city to raise a family in and just in general. I have never understood the hype with Toronto as a major destination. I'd rather live in a smaller and more humble city than this junk.

Everyone looks at you like they wanna kill you, that screams exciting! Doesn't it!

I have a friend who works at the score and tells me half the people have no idea what they are talking about there, they just got the job cause they know someone there.

Did my university in Toronto and stayed an extra year. For these exact reasons plus the boneheaded attitude towards people riding bikes, I would be fine if I never saw the place again in my life. :(

I do understand liking Toronto more though, there's definitely more urban stuff to do. I'd rather have beautiful trails, a compact downtown, less stress, and more space to play music though (as in places you can do it without pissing off neighbors, obviously toronto has more venues). I wouldn't mind moving to Montreal though.

Last edited:

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I lived in the nice part of Toronto for a year, I completely agree with this.

Did my university in Toronto and stayed an extra year. For these exact reasons plus the boneheaded attitude towards people riding bikes, I would be fine if I never saw the place again in my life. :(

I do understand liking Toronto more though, there's definitely more urban stuff to do. I'd rather have beautiful trails, a compact downtown, less stress, and more space to play music though (as in places you can do it without pissing off neighbors, obviously toronto has more venues). I wouldn't mind moving to Montreal though.

I didn't like Toronto the 1st year I lived here, but after that, everything changed. It's a very common occurrence for people who move here......

Also, it's not a great city if you don't have a little bit of money. Most students hate the city.

I (and many former Ottawa residents) found people in Ottawa to be snobbier and more close-minded than people in Toronto. Maybe it's all the bureaucrats... I don't know.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Let me tell you this. I live in Toronto and I think it's absolutely a horrific city to raise a family in and just in general. I have never understood the hype with Toronto as a major destination. I'd rather live in a smaller and more humble city than this junk.

Everyone looks at you like they wanna kill you, that screams exciting! Doesn't it!

I have a friend who works at the score and tells me half the people have no idea what they are talking about there, they just got the job cause they know someone there.

i lived in toronto for 10 years. horrible place for a family imo. ottawa is not perfect with a LOT of room for improvement but it's made me not miss toronto one bit.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
The best part is that he ranked Buffalo higher than Ottawa!
Buffalo is a garbage city with dilapidated buildings and boarded up houses everywhere.
The team sucks, the management sucks and the fans - while passionate- are a**holes.
The climate is similar to Ottawa in the winter.

There is really no reason why on Earth, at this point, Buffalo shouldn't be dead last or at least in the bottom 3.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Buffalo is a garbage city with dilapidated buildings and boarded up houses everywhere.
The team sucks, the management sucks and the fans - while passionate- are a**holes.

There is really no reason why on Earth, at this point, Buffalo shouldn't be dead last or at least in the bottom 3.

Taxes are a lot less I guess?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Well they do have a chipoltes where as Ottawa does not. Same with Toronto.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Buffalo and Edmonton higher than us? Child, please. Buffalo is a total dump, and absolutely NONE of the players' wives want to move to Edmonton. None.

The funniest part, though, was listing the Habs ninth. The Habs have had a miserable time attracting free agents due to language, the intense media pressure, and taxes. That has been well documented for years. To list them ninth was completely clueless. They are easily in the bottom third.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I keep this handy. You've probably all seen it but...

bpFRD.gif

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
The ont real question is does Edmonton have a chipotles because if it does too it's all starting to come together.

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
I don't know if I'd call Ottawa "beautiful"

It's not ugly though

The only cities even close to Ottawa in terms of cosmetic appeal and beauty are Victoria and Vancouver..

Do the people saying it's ugly live in Vanier or Kanata?

Central Ottawa and the canal area make it a truly beautiful city..

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The only cities even close to Ottawa in terms of cosmetic appeal and beauty are Victoria and Vancouver..

Do the people saying it's ugly live in Vanier or Kanata?

Central Ottawa and the canal area make it a truly beautiful city..

I live in the Market

I never said Ottawa is ugly, it isn't

I just said that it doesn't qualify as "beautiful" to me

There is something between beautiful and ugly

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's just opinion. I think money and how good the team is are bigger factors than the city itself.

Montreal and Toronto are listed at #9 and #7 and yet I don't see some large flood of people wanting to sign there, even players who are from there.

Bolded is what its all about, most players move home in the offseason. They are also on the road for half the year too so there goes the climate argument, even if you're a young guy rarely do you ever party or go out in the city you play in mid season its just plain and simple not a good idea. I guess in a city that doesn't care about hockey that's fine but most of the competitive teams are based in hockey markets and I think its for a reason. Players usually stay on the road an extra night if they are planning on going out.

The list was made from a guy that finally 'made it' in Toronto and he is giving a Toronto perspective on not only the cities, climate and nightlife but a Toronto view on the other hockey teams. Its terribly written and I believe the writer should be relieved of his duties atleast on a nationally published level.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I'd say less than 4% of us willingly live in this cesspool of greenery and job security, no?

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
i lived in toronto for 10 years. horrible place for a family imo. ottawa is not perfect with a LOT of room for improvement but it's made me not miss toronto one bit.

Other than real estate prices, may I ask why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad