News Article: Ottawa is 25th in ufa desirability

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
hes a blogger...for the score of all media outlets...who cares what he thinks

The Score aka Sportsnet aka Rogers aka part owner of the Maple Leafs aka our arch rival

(I'll just ignore that they carry our regional broadcasts and how messed up that is on so many levels)

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Montreal, Boston and New York would be the only ones I'd qualify as beautiful that I've been to (never been to Chicago but heard a lot of good thing about it)

Hey don't get me wrong, I love Ottawa; I just wouldn't call it beautiful

It's nice and quiet, that's how I like it

Real beautiful cities are places like Rome, Prague, Barcelona etc...
Disagree.

9206324120_10275277ca_c.jpg

Pretty beautiful to me.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
What people seem to forget when the espouse the virtues of a warm climate or a big city or what-not, in is that 70% of players in the NHL are Canadian and grew up playing in rural Canadian winters.

Why would they all of a sudden forget that?

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
It's just opinion. I think money and how good the team is are bigger factors than the city itself.

Montreal and Toronto are listed at #9 and #7 and yet I don't see some large flood of people wanting to sign there, even players who are from there.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
His reasoning for Ottawa is enough to show he knows nothing about Ottawa.

0/10 wouldn't read again.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
I'd qualify that as nice

Rome-Italy.jpg

That's beautiful

Manked chose a dreary day picture and you chose a beautifully lighted dusk.

I agree Ottawa isn't as beautiful as some of the extremely old European cities.

NO NHL TEAMS PLAY IN THOSE CITIES SO WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS ARGUMENT?!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Manked chose a dreary day picture and you chose a beautifully lighted dusk.

I agree Ottawa isn't as beautiful as some of the extremely old European cities.

NO NHL TEAMS PLAY IN THOSE CITIES SO WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS ARGUMENT?!

I went on Bing and got the first pic I could of Rome that popped

Upon further inspection it does seem rather "perfect condition"

Then I propose this

pal-ita1.jpg

I just thought that calling Ottawa a "beautiful city" was a stretch, that's all

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I went on Bing and got the first pic I could of Rome that popped

Upon further inspection it does seem rather "perfect condition"

Then I propose this

pal-ita1.jpg

I just thought that calling Ottawa a "beautiful city" was a stretch, that's all

WTF??? That city is in ruins ... :sarcasm:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't agree with the knocking of Bourne -- he's a very good writer when it comes to things he's knowledgeable about -- but I'd take this list as less of a "this is the way it is" and more of a "if I were in the NHL, this is where I'd rather go."

Or, to summarize...

Ugh, was hoping this wouldn't be a thread here.

It's some guys opinion, I don't get why people are putting stock into it.

Honestly, people just need to realize that there is no formula for the average free agent to where they will sign. Some people like warm weather and no media pressure. Some people like Canada and being the subject of attention. Some people want to play in their hometown. Some people want to play in cities that have arenas located in the suburbs that makes east end fans angry.

This.

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
Lame article that is poorly thought out or at least poorly presented.

He states:
... what would be the most appealing team in the league to sign with, given the city and it’s weather, the team’s chances of winning the Cup (or of at least being a playoff team), the fans, the building, your teammates, just every general thing?

Weather - Okay, a case could be made for Ottawa's weather vs. cities in the south and on the west coast, but Edmonton has way worse weather than we do, and they are higher.

Team's Chances of winning the cup (or at least being a playoff team) - Again, we are on the rise, as he stated, and have a great record of making the playoffs. Again, see Edmonton comparison???

The Fans - Ottawa fans are passionate, much more so than many of those in the US, especially where Hockey is not the primary focus for sportsfans.

The Building - Well, CTC is alright, but I can't comment on other facilities, but I've been told there are many far worse than our building...

Your teammates - Not sure how to compare/assess this really.

The media spotlight, IMO, could be appealing and a problem for fans, but again, it is worse/better in other media hotbeds like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

It just seems like some random guys rant, on things he knows little about. I am sure we could all do the same with random rankings. I wouldn't rank Ottawa near the top myself, but I think it is probably in the top 1/3. There are many places as a player I would rather NOT play in, unless the money, term, taxes, or some other benefit trumps my personal preferences. This summer, our problem with attracting talent likely had to do with internal cap as well...

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Anyone else tired of this "Ottawa is boring/undesirable" stigma?

I'm not delusional, I know places like New York and Toronto are more exciting, but there is still lots to do in Ottawa, while being a safe city with great living conditions.

The way people talk about you;d think we were some backwards cowtown with 1000 people in it, despite the fact Ottawa is probably more exciting than most North American cities, let alone Canadian ones.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
For some players ottawa is at the top of the list, for others the bottom. For most it depends on money offered and various situations.

Same as most other cities i'd wager.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone else tired of this "Ottawa is boring/undesirable" stigma?

I'm not delusional, I know places like New York and Toronto are more exciting, but there is still lots to do in Ottawa, while being a safe city with great living conditions.

The way people talk about you;d think we were some backwards cowtown with 1000 people in it, despite the fact Ottawa is probably more exciting than most North American cities, let alone Canadian ones.

Yeah it's not exciting at all but it's not a bad city by any means.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think the Ottawa is boring stigma comes from younger people that define a cities fun factor by the amount of clubs it offers.

TheOriginalSilf*

Montreal, Boston and New York would be the only ones I'd qualify as beautiful that I've been to (never been to Chicago but heard a lot of good thing about it)

Hey don't get me wrong, I love Ottawa; I just wouldn't call it beautiful

It's nice and quiet, that's how I like it

Real beautiful cities are places like Rome, Prague, Barcelona etc...

This is where it's very, very subjective. I found New York City incredibly over-rated. It's scummy and dirty everywhere but Times Square. If you're a city person, you obviously tend to favor places such as New York, but there are tons of people who'd rather the 'burbs.

I've been to Ottawa, Montreal, New York and Toronto and I'd say Ottawa is probably only behind Montreal in terms of "beautiful".

All subjective.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I think the Ottawa is boring stigma comes from younger people that define a cities fun factor by the amount of clubs it offers.

Probably. Either that or people from major metropolitan areas that don't know what to do with themselves without being confronted by sensory overload on a daily basis.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
This is just more of the same old same old. Guy lives in Toronto and panders to the audience in the GTA. Taking cheap shots at Ottawa is par for the course.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
should be around 15 on that list imo

as it is, this guy's credibility takes a hit. don't know his name cause i didn't bother to look

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad