News Article: Ottawa is 25th in ufa desirability

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Been to many Canadian cities and Ottawa is ranked up there imo. It's all preference though. I'm sure this guy hasn't even been to 5 of those NHL cities so it's more less what he thinks, feels, and hears rather than what he experienced and seen. Also it wouldn't surprise me if some of these "cities" are ranked by the teams they ice..he just must not like the Senators.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
This is just more of the same old same old. Guy lives in Toronto and panders to the audience in the GTA. Taking cheap shots at Ottawa is par for the course.

That explains it. Most Torontonians I've met are good people, but a lot of them seem to have born with a silver spoon up their butt and have an incredibly snobby attitude towards Ottawa.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think the Ottawa is boring stigma comes from younger people that define a cities fun factor by the amount of clubs it offers.

Yeah I don't know about that, if you go to Montreal the city is alive at night and really dead early in the morning, Ottawa it's the opposite.

Montreal is a really lively place, the only thing holding me back from living in a place like Montreal which is quite an amazing city is the french politics which personally am not willing to get into.

Amazing lively city to visit though.

Even when I go to American cities I'm eating dinner at like at 9 at night and have stuff to do. IDK why we are like the way we are, we just are.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
If someone was to do an assessment properly they would put together a list of reasonable indicators. The fact that we actually drew some pretty big UFAs in recent years seems to contradict what this guy is saying. But whatever, it is just some blogger who majored in bovine scatology.

Besides, UFAs go where the cash is...unless the cash is in Winnipeg or Edmonton.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
If someone was to do an assessment properly they would put together a list of reasonable indicators. The fact that we actually drew some pretty big UFAs in recent years seems to contradict what this guy is saying. But whatever, it is just some blogger who majored in bovine scatology.

Besides, UFAs go where the cash is...unless the cash is in Winnipeg or Edmonton.

Honestly I listen to a **** ton of American radio, and they talk about free agency in the other big sports like basketball, baseball, and football, Freddy Coleman of ESPN basically said last week that he's talked to many big FA and the biggest thing besides locker room fit is chances at championships, and that players don't feel strongly about the city they play in as much as the actual people that live here. Probably with the exception of a guy like Methot.

If Ottawa puts a good product on the ice that has legit chances at championships people will come here.

What was one of the biggest reasons Clark MacArthur said he signed here?

He wanted to play in a play off team.

Ryan said he heard we were tough to play against and that made him excited.

Our on ice product will bring FA here more than our city itself. Nash wanted to go to the rangers because he thought they were contenders.

Alfie went where he thought they could win.

The list goes on.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Don't agree with the knocking of Bourne -- he's a very good writer when it comes to things he's knowledgeable about -- but I'd take this list as less of a "this is the way it is" and more of a "if I were in the NHL, this is where I'd rather go."

Agreed. As a whole, The Score's bloggers are absolute garbage, and it's frustrating how they seem unable to post entries void of any major errors. Bourne on the other hand is the exception, I'm a big fan of how he represents himself. Him along with their former NHL.com writer are both good reads.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
It would have been a more objective report if he'd somehow incorporated the number of UFA's who have actually signed in these cities in the past 5 years or so.

Otherwise, it's 100% his biased opinion, but who really cares what a random writer thinks of Ottawa as a free agent destination? Do you get upset when some random TML fan says Ottawa sucks? It's a virtually identical situation.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Let me tell you this. I live in Toronto and I think it's absolutely a horrific city to raise a family in and just in general. I have never understood the hype with Toronto as a major destination. I'd rather live in a smaller and more humble city than this junk.

Everyone looks at you like they wanna kill you, that screams exciting! Doesn't it!

I have a friend who works at the score and tells me half the people have no idea what they are talking about there, they just got the job cause they know someone there.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Let me tell you this. I live in Toronto and I think it's absolutely a horrific city to raise a family in and just in general. I have never understood the hype with Toronto as a major destination. I'd rather live in a smaller and more humble city than this junk.

Everyone looks at you like they wanna kill you, that screams exciting! Doesn't it!

I lived in the nice part of Toronto for a year, I completely agree with this.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
His reasoning for Carolina just shows how lazy this guy is

21. Carolina Hurricanes
A warmer winter climate and some true talent on the roster. Not really sure what else to give you here other than “…I can make this work.â€

Also, for Ottawa he just put periods to say that there is nothing to do. He put the Jets so low because not many people live there and it's cold, but they have 100% the best fans in hockey.

Such a random list.

winnipeg should be ranked 29 next to Arizona .Too much crime too cold.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I disagree with the ranking, of course, but don't get why people are dissing Toronto. Both cities have their advantages and disadvantages. Toronto has the boardwalk, High Park, and some hella good eats and nightlife. Ottawa is better suited for players with a family and for those who enjoy the outdoors. As for Montreal, it's certainly beautiful in some parts, but quite ugly in others. And it seems like it's being run by Pejorative Slured monkeys.

I'm pretty sure that guy's never been to most of the cities he's ranking anyway.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I disagree with the ranking, of course, but don't get why people are dissing Toronto. Both cities have their advantages and disadvantages. Toronto has the boardwalk, High Park, and some hella good eats and nightlife. Ottawa is better suited for players with a family and for those who enjoy the outdoors. As for Montreal, it's certainly beautiful in some parts, but quite ugly in others. And it seems like it's being run by Pejorative Slured monkeys.

I'm pretty sure that guy's never been to most of the cities he's ranking anyway.

Honestly, Toronto is a city that some people prefer. And some people would prefer Ottawa.

I love Ottawa, but its because I'm more of a small town gal, and Ottawa has that small town feel.

This list is funny though. But Ottawa won't have the same pull as some other major market teams. But they are starting to get some actual light shed on the team/city. Its great.

I just can't wait to see what happens in like 20 more years of being a franchise.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
This isn't a news article, it's an opinion piece from a Vancouver-based fan.

Also...

This is just more of the same old same old. Guy lives in Toronto and panders to the audience in the GTA. Taking cheap shots at Ottawa is par for the course.

Actually he said he's from British Columbia right here...

8. Vancouver Canucks

I’m a BC boy, so maaaybe my bias has seeped in a bit here...

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's the problem with the interwebs....any idiot with a keyboard can make a blog and spout any nonsense they want without repercussions. And, of course, people will not only believe what this nobody says, but they'll pass it on like it's written in stone.

*sigh* this is exactly why society right now is so screwed up. From nutbars promoting 9/11 conspiracies, to people heroizing the Boston bombers, people slandering virtually every politician out there, to doctoring photos to sell lies. Controversy sells. And mainstream media has fallen for the 'gotta get ratings' spell, and have throwing away all journalism ethics for ratings. Who cares if entire countries go nuts and riot over false info? It just means more great headlines and ratings.

Sorry for the rant, but the fallout and hatred after the trial in the US last week, and the fallout and crap hitting the interwebs regarding Alfredsson and Melynk has really soured me on media (and society).

So many people out there are taking the word of bloggers like gospel...it's scary! Any random person and spout whatever hatred and nonsense they want, and just sit back and watch the carnage.

KA BLAMO

Aug 18, 2008
People actually read stuff on The Score?

I assume this is the same Justin Bourne that used to have articles on Puck Daddy every so often. The guy played 16 games in the AHL nearly 7 years ago and comes off as a pompous ******* in everything he writes. Who the hell cares what he thinks?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think the Ottawa is boring stigma comes from younger people that define a cities fun factor by the amount of clubs it offers.

I really, really ****ing hate Montreal

But that's just not fair

It's a large city and has therefore a ton of stuff to do: the more people that do stuff, the more variety there is to activities you can do

The problem with Montreal is the people who have lived there their whole lives

It's like Paris

It's a fantastic city, except it's filled with Parisians

Leachman

May 13, 2007
FYI this is true of most jobs, especially private sector ones.

By private sector I assume you mean retail. Also you seem to be making a comparison to the public sector.

To that I would say that "jobs" generally attract certain types regardless of the sector. Careers on the other hand are different, and in that respect the "private sector" is where all of the best and brightest end up.

strongbad

Apr 22, 2007
Edmonton is before Anaheim or Tampa Bay? Paying attention to the UFA signings, this man does not.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
This isn't a news article, it's an opinion piece from a Vancouver-based fan.
Also...
Actually he said he's from British Columbia right here...

Originally Posted by pepty
This is just more of the same old same old. Guy lives in Toronto and panders to the audience in the GTA. Taking cheap shots at Ottawa is par for the cours
e.

8. Vancouver Canucks

I’m a BC boy, so maaaybe my bias has seeped in a bit here...

I didn't say he was born in Toronto, but that he lives there. He's not a Vancouver based fan but a Toronto based fan. He writes for the Score. he's based in Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Bourne

. Justin is currently married to Brianna Bourne née Gillies, daughter of former NHL all-star Clark Gillies, and resides in Toronto, Ontario.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad