Proposal: Ottawa/Colorado

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It really is more of "this is a rental UFA deadline transaction, so, accordingly, what is the typical cost in terms of assets that we have historically seen?"

Montreal and Chicago:

Weise and Fleishmann for a young, unproven Danault (former 1st round pick) and a 2nd round pick is the closest that came to mind to me

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Personally not a fan, but others will surely disagree. If we're going to lose Jost/Compher, it needs to be a legit 2nd line player, not another middle-six "tweener" that will only replace them.

If the price is right, then Pageau is a good player, but this seems like a marginal improvement at best, and then you have to re-sign him.
Realize this doesn’t touch any of or prime futures assets which is what everyone assumes will be used to get a guy like Hall.

Trading someone like Compher/Jost for Pageau doesn’t mean it’s the only thing the Avs do. What it does is gives an immediate upgrade on Compher/Jost with all the assets in the world remaining to go get the top 6 player they need.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pageau is an awesome player. I would definitely not trade Jost or Compher for him.

Ottawa will be looking for picks and prospects anyway. No point in risking our chemistry for someone who may or may not gel with the team, and giving up an extra pick on top of that.

I would offer a second round pick and third round pick (goes to another 2nd if resigned), years to be determined.
Sweet but he aint going for a 2nd and a 3rd.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
OP is a good offer... then like every other Pageau thread we get a bunch of posts lowballing on Pageau because he doesn’t score enough points (historically). Ottawa will try to re-sign JGP. If they can’t there will be a bidding war.

Jost straight up would be a good start. Jost + a conditional pick would be fantastic.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Ottawa definately going to try and re-sign him. If it doesn't work out, I see a first rounder as the ask.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
OP is a good offer... then like every other Pageau thread we get a bunch of posts lowballing on Pageau because he doesn’t score enough points (historically). Ottawa will try to re-sign JGP. If they can’t there will be a bidding war.

Jost straight up would be a good start. Jost + a conditional pick would be fantastic.

At this point, trading Jost for Pageau (UFA rental) seems completely unrealistic.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Remember Sens fans, the Avs screwed you over once in the not to distant past, do you want it to happen again? Lol I'd say Comp + 3rd/2nd/1st(Avs pass the first round and doesn't resign JGP its a 2nd, Avs pass second round and resign JGP its a 1st, they get knocked out in the first round or completely fall off the cliff and miss the playoffs its a 3rd)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Realize this doesn’t touch any of or prime futures assets which is what everyone assumes will be used to get a guy like Hall.

Trading someone like Compher/Jost for Pageau doesn’t mean it’s the only thing the Avs do. What it does is gives an immediate upgrade on Compher/Jost with all the assets in the world remaining to go get the top 6 player they need.

Yeah exactly.

Lets say the Avs for example pull off this trade of Jost + 2nd for Pageau. Then at the deadline they move Newhook + 1st to New Jersey for Taylor Hall.

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Hall - Kadri - Burakovsky
Compher - Pageau - Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Calvert
Nichushkin - Kamenev - Wilson

That forward depth is flat out incredible. Probably the Deepest Centers in the NHL, and on top of that you have 3 world class wingers, and possibly the best 4th line in hockey.

It's just a nasty group all around. And moving Jost+ to get Pageau keeps the other future pieces available to go after a guy like Taylor Hall.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah exactly.

Lets say the Avs for example pull off this trade of Jost + 2nd for Pageau. Then at the deadline they move Newhook + 1st to New Jersey for Taylor Hall.

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Hall - Kadri - Burakovsky
Compher - Pageau - Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Calvert
Nichushkin - Kamenev - Wilson

That forward depth is flat out incredible. Probably the Deepest Centers in the NHL, and on top of that you have 3 world class wingers, and possibly the best 4th line in hockey.

It's just a nasty group all around. And moving Jost+ to get Pageau keeps the other future pieces available to go after a guy like Taylor Hall.

As always I completely disagree with you. Think its stupid to push the chips all-in like that.
Especially Newhook shouldn't be traded at all at this point. We need him down the line when Kadri gets older or too expensive and when Mac and Landy need their new deals. He shouldn't be thrown in willy-nilly into rental deals. He is not Byram level off-limits but he certainly should not go for a rental.
Trading away Newhook, Jost, 1st and 2nd completely kills off our supply of cheaper talent with enough potential to step into a bigger role once Mac/Landy/Kadri/Makar all want to get paid.

Pageau and Hall are too expensive. Too much. I also wouldn't want to give up Jost for Pageau who is looking to cash in. Again we need cheap, homegrown talent and Pageau does not move the needle enough for now to give up on him.

Just no.
See if the Devils bite on a Zads + 1st + Bowers/Kaut level deal at the deadline. If not look elsewhere. You can't buy a cup. The sooner people realize that the better. You jump on opportunities if they present themselves but you don't force it. Atleast certainly not if you are in the state the Avs are right now...

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
The fact that Jost is offered so much is a red flag.

I'd rather in this order.. extend pageau/extend pageau/exchange him for a younger asset with more upside.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Value is better than the typical main boards offer, but count me in as one of those not particularly interested in Jost as the centerpiece. Personally I'd prefer Newhook, Avs 1st or Kaut (in that order) as the centerpiece with a conditional pick added as needed.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
zuccarelli did last year and he has more value than Pageau. So you are correct he will go for less
Bookmark this post if you'd like. Pageau is a 2 way centerman that is only 26 years old with an incredible playoff resume. Not coming off an injury as an older one dimensional winger. He will go for more or they will re sign him. The arrogant garbage tone wasnt needed to get your poor point across.

Reactions: SnS and guyzeur

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I'd rather in this order.. extend pageau/extend pageau/exchange him for a younger asset with more upside.

Jost hasn't lived up to his expectations at the draft for sure. But I do think a big part of that is because his skillset doesn't translate super well to a fast paced off the rush team which we are. He's a smart player defensively with a good shot, but works best when he has bigger wingers who can open up the ice for him. Plus OTT has what I would consider to be the best development team in the league, so I could really see him thriving in OTT.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Has more to do with Avs fans having unrealistic expectations of him, him getting rushed to the NHL and not fulfilling these expectations and these fans therefore souring on him...

Jost probably will never turn into the stud #2 C Avs fans pencilled him in his draft+1/2 year. But at the end of the day he is a 21 year old NHL regular on pace for 40+ points that is very good at drawing penalties, solid defensively and who still could turn into a very good NHL winger if he figures a couple of things out and becomes more consistent (which does not sound all that farfetched given that we are talking about a 21 year old top10 pick...).

I personally have no real interest in trading him at this point unless the offer is just too good to pass up.
I absolutely would not move him for Pageau.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Remember Sens fans, the Avs screwed you over once in the not to distant past, do you want it to happen again? Lol I'd say Comp + 3rd/2nd/1st(Avs pass the first round and doesn't resign JGP its a 2nd, Avs pass second round and resign JGP its a 1st, they get knocked out in the first round or completely fall off the cliff and miss the playoffs its a 3rd)
With all due respect, the Avs made the Flames look far worse in last years playoffs than they ever made Ottawa look with any trades. I wouldn’t be making fun of other teams looking bad.
Also why does Ottawa get all the hate and David Poile doesn’t take any flack for trading Sammy Girard, Vlad Kamenev and a 2nd for Kyle Turris?

Reactions: Ivan13

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
With all due respect, the Avs made the Flames look far worse in last years playoffs than they ever made Ottawa look with any trades. I wouldn’t be making fun of other teams looking bad.
Also why does Ottawa get all the hate and David Poile doesn’t take any flack for trading Sammy Girard, Vlad Kamenev and a 2nd for Kyle Turris?

Probably because Poile picks a Girard level D-man everyother year with his mid-round picks..
Odds are he has atleast found another one of those recently between Farrance, Stastney and Yeryomenko.
That is after Fabbro stepping in for Subban without missing much of a beat.

That buys him a ton of leeway in that regard I guess. Especially after the arguably genius Subban-Duchene non-trade trade he pulled off in the offseason.
But yeah Turris and his contract suck. If not for the Byram pick, the Preds would probably be an even bigger loser than the Sens...

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Because at least the Flames made the playoffs and got the extra revenue, win, lose, it makes no difference, both teams played their games and the avs came out on top, i can't really say add anything to Ottawa cause they had that one fluky year and flopped into the abyss, hopefully sooner or later, is Nashville involved in this trade proposal? No? Okay that's why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad