Proposal: Ottawa - Chicago

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If DeBrincat doesn't want to re-sign here PD should look to move him at the deadline to Edm for Evan Bouchard RD & a 1st.

Reactions: Cosmix

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
He getz the chance to play with Debrincat for one more season, on a stacked team, chance for a cup, and then he can move on to what ever team he wants or maybe stay if it's too good to leave.

For most of those seasons Chicago will be rebuilding and will definitely have the cap room to absorb 2 million. Makes Jones 7.5m per a lot more attractive. He is definitely worth that.

Blow up what? We are trading away first and second rounders over the next 2 seasons and not giving up any of our depth. We would still have 2nd round picks both seasons because we own Nashville's in 2024. Chicago is the team trying to blow it up.
What’s the longest a team has retained? I just think there is more value to one of those three retention spots for Chicago but maybe.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Some posters cutting down Jones boggles my mind. Guy is a top pair and his contract ends at 35 years old. We won’t be getting him but he would be great.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I get trying to find that diamond in the rough but it's been a few weeks and no UFA's seem worth it. we can trade to get a good D but we are still going to have to pay probably a 1st. It's reallt hard to find 2 players with the chemistry Cat and Kane have and our PP would be insane. I would put our roster up there with Tampa and Colorado.

It's really not.

We would have many of the top core guys locked up on decent contracts with a top 3 of Chabot/Jones/Sanderson/(Zub?).

Out forward depth is already looking good and while I am loathe to give up Pinto I would have to think about this.
I stayed up extra late just thinking how to justify all the pieces involved. Sleep deprivation was definitely a factor. lol

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I would love Seth Jones on this team, but not for what we are giving up.
Kane is not needed and a trade for Jones alone would suffice. But being able to add Kane for 1 season just to see how it works and if not we can deal him at the deadline to recoup what we gave away to a certain point. It;s nice to be actually able to talk about real trades now that Melnyk is no longer in the picture.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I get trying to find that diamond in the rough but it's been a few weeks and no UFA's seem worth it. we can trade to get a good D but we are still going to have to pay probably a 1st. It's reallt hard to find 2 players with the chemistry Cat and Kane have and our PP would be insane. I would put our roster up there with Tampa and Colorado.

I stayed up extra late just thinking how to justify all the pieces involved. Sleep deprivation was definitely a factor. lol
If we added Kane then G is on the 3rd line...Joseph on the 4th line.

Formenton - Pinto - G
Kelly - Kastelic - Joseph

Yikes - that would be formidable and the upgrade for Le Chat and Kane to Stu from Strome would be big as well. Filthy top line.

I think the idea is very creative and while slim chance, it is pretty well structured. Can multiple teams retain on a player? So if we wanted to move on from Jones later we could still retain a tad and then make him extremely desirable?

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Norris-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Holden

or

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Kane
Formenton-Giroux-Kelly
Hawryluk-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Jones
Holden-Hamonic

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Norris-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Holden

or

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Kane
Formenton-Giroux-Kelly
Hawryluk-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Jones
Holden-Hamonic
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Giroux-Kane
Formenton-Stutzle-Kelly
Hawryluk-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Jones
Holden-Hamonic

Keep in mind every team goes through injuries and this line up would be a solid back up plan for that. Though i would switch Giroux and Stutzle. That second line could be Pizza line 2.0. If we didn't bring bring back Kane Stutzle goes up to the second line the following season. He is still pretty young and would learn a lot from those players in front of him.

This would be an insane top 9 and top 4.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Kane is not needed and a trade for Jones alone would suffice. But being able to add Kane for 1 season just to see how it works and if not we can deal him at the deadline to recoup what we gave away to a certain point. It;s nice to be actually able to talk about real trades now that Melnyk is no longer in the picture.

I am originally from the Buffalo area of NY and Patrick Kane has always been one of my favorite players. I would love to see him on the Sens but I just don't think he would stick around after one year. And if we are competing for a playoff spot I don't see how we flip him at the deadline to recoup.

However, Buffalo and Ottawa are pretty close, maybe he would see it as being close to home and sticking around a couple more years .....

Reactions: Stylizer1

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We have 4.5 million coming of the books in 2 seasons due to our buyouts/salary retention, the cap should go up somewhat, Hamonic and Holden coming off the books next season. Pretty much a guarantee of sellouts and a few rounds of the playoffs. This is why one season of Kane could be so attractive plus we could trade him at he deadline to fill what ever hole we may have. In order to make the trade work you have to add the contracts of Zaitsev and Joseph, make it worth while for Chicago(2 1sts, 1 2nd) Sokolov,. If we don't have to add Pinto then don't but if we do so be it. Extending Sanderson and Stutzle wont be a problem.

Seth Jones was ranked the 2nd worst contract by The Athletic in their "Ranking the Top 10 Worst Contracts in the NHL"

Like I said, 20% make the contract a bit better but still far from ideal when you have guys like Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, etc who will be asking for a big raise in the near future

And with Kane on an expiring contract, this would be a really tough gamble for Dorion/Sens

I don't think we can add $$$ in the forward group, DeBrincat and Giroux were our 2 big acquisitions. Norris, Tkachuk and Batherson all have long term contracts now. Stutzle and DeBrincat will also get their extensions next season... Giroux's contract expiring in 3 years will give us some relief but who knows by then, maybe Greig or another guy (Pinto) will be more expensive

Thank God Colin White's contract was a cheap buyout, that kinda saved Dorion's butt

I'm really not comfortable doing that trade. I'd do Jones with 3.0 AAV retained per season for Zaitsev + Brannstrom + 1st but doubt the Hawks would retain that much for so long

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Jones to Ottawa was a possibility I imagine it would have been done before the Sens bought out White and MDZ.

I'm sure they would have preferred taking on more in real money on bad short-term deals than retain almost 2M for the next 8 years.

I don't think Jones would ever waive his NMC to come to Ottawa, so this is pretty pointless. Kane might be a different story. Could see him being interested in playing beside his buddy DeBrincat and Stutzle for a year, but he's not needed and it would just push Giroux down to the 3rd line, so it doesn't make sense.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If Jones to Ottawa was a possibility I imagine it would have been done before the Sens bought out White and MDZ.

I'm sure they would have preferred taking on more in real money on bad short-term deals than retain almost 2M for the next 8 years.

I don't think Jones would ever waive his NMC to come to Ottawa, so this is pretty pointless. Kane might be a different story. Could see him being interested in playing beside his buddy DeBrincat and Stutzle for a year, but he's not needed and it would just push Giroux down to the 3rd line, so it doesn't make sense.
Stutzle doesn't play over Giroux.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Seth Jones is considered significantly overpaid. Nobody is going to give positive assets for him now. Retaining 20% makes his contract a bit more affordable but still not worth much, if anything. Hawks would trade Jones for Zaitsev in a heartbeat for example. Also, retaining 20% for 8 years (1.9 per year) is just too long for them

Patrick Kane only has 1 year left. Ottawa wouldn't be able to afford him beyond that unless they start moving other players (core, ages). This move would be like going all in for next season.

Nevermind Joseph, Sokolov, the 4th, the 7th... but Pinto and 2 first round picks (not protected in 2023?) is way too pricey for me for 1 year of Kane and then be "stuck" with Jones contract. I'd rather be able to afford Sanderson's extension

Edit : oh and Ottawa signed Claude Giroux as their top-6 veteran winger. Adding Kane would be massive overkill. We need to keep Pinto and our 1sts, unless we get a young RD like Carlo (one 1st + other stuff would do it). The Top-9 is fine, and even stacked. If we add, it has to be a Top-4 RHD. Seth Jones is too pricey and signed way too long
Tell me you've never watched Seth Jones without telling me you've never watched Seth Jones.

He's criminally underrated on HF. (And public analytics models)

Some posters cutting down Jones boggles my mind. Guy is a top pair and his contract ends at 35 years old. We won’t be getting him but he would be great.
This guy gets it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Stutzle is 20 and will have time to develop further. For 1 season I would love to see what a line of DeBrincat-Giroux-Kane could do.

Giroux has played wing for awhile.

I'm sure he can still play center but he's not doing it if it means Stutzle or Norris becomes our 3rd line center.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Giroux has played wing for awhile.

I'm sure he can still play center but he's not doing it if it means Stutzle or Norris becomes our 3rd line center.
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Giroux-Kane
Formenton-Stutzle-Kelly

I would be totally fine with this for a season or if we trade Kane at the deadline

Giroux would just know how to play with those 2 better due to experience.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tell me you've never watched Seth Jones without telling me you've never watched Seth Jones.

He's criminally underrated on HF. (And public analytics models)

lol just because it's different than your opinion doesn't mean I "never watched Seth Jones". He was a 4th OA pick... I have watched him plenty in Nashville and even in Columbus. There was a time (2018) where I thought he'd become a Top-5 D-man in the league but instead his play regressed a little and he got that burden of a contract.

He's still a good player, but please stop acting like this was a hot take lol, his contract is terrible (I just saw your post in that thread of the Athletic's worst contracts ranking)

If he had a contract like 7.0 AAV x 5-6 years, I'd be looking to trade for him, yes. I actually would have spent the 7th OA pick on him instead of DeBrincat

I would still pay to get him (not a piece like a 7th OA or Pinto though) at what this proposal suggest but 8 years and 7.6 AAV is not something the Sens can really afford

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Giroux-Kane
Formenton-Stutzle-Kelly

I would be totally fine with this for a season or if we trade Kane at the deadline

Giroux would just know how to play with those 2 better due to experience.
I back the trade thought but that is awful and would not happen.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Havlat was on our 3rd line. we are talking about 1 season. Having a player with the skill of Kane to play with our other young players would be immense.
Yes but in this case G would be on the 3rd line. He isn't a full time C anymore.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
not on a bad team. He is probably the best faceoff guy we have now. You don't put that on the 3rd line.
You don't put what may be the best F we have in Stu on the 3rd line.

G you move around for what makes sense and give him PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00