Proposal: Ottawa - Chicago

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ottawa:

Patrick Kane 50% retained (1y / $5,221,774)

Seth Jones 20% retained (8y / $7,559,140)

($12,780,914)

Chicago:

Nikita Zaitsev - 2y / 4.500,000

Mathieu Joseph sign and trade - 2y / 2.200,000

Pinto

Sokolov

2023 1st round pick (OTT)
2023 7th round pick (OTT)
2024 1st round pick (OTT)
2024 4th round pick (TBL)

This would put Ottawa just over 79m in salary and would improve our D and bring in perfect chemistry with Debrincat. Chicago retains 50% of Kane's contract for 1 season and 2 million on Seth Jones contract which be payed out Mostly when the Blackhawks would be rebuilding and will have enough cap space. This should also give Ottawa a chance to resign Kane if the experiment works out, If not it would be easier to give Stutzle his contract extension and still have some cap space available.

This would give Chicago 3 first round picks in the next 2 drafts and a bunch more over the next 2 seasons that they could move up in the draft. Each of Kane and Jones would draw a 1st rounder+ in picks, throw in Sokolov and Pinto, 2 short term contracts, and Chicago starts their rebuild out strong. We get the players that will transform the rest of our roster into a powerhouse.

This is a win now/ next 5 seasons type move.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Seth Jones isn't what he used to be. Kid has been on a downward slide for a few years now.

If he was at the peak of his game, I'd have a hard time saying no to that proposal.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Both say no to coming here...Also Kane inst a need ,so it would be for Jones,again unlikely to even consider us as a destination

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Seth Jones is considered significantly overpaid. Nobody is going to give positive assets for him now. Retaining 20% makes his contract a bit more affordable but still not worth much, if anything. Hawks would trade Jones for Zaitsev in a heartbeat for example. Also, retaining 20% for 8 years (1.9 per year) is just too long for them

Patrick Kane only has 1 year left. Ottawa wouldn't be able to afford him beyond that unless they start moving other players (core, ages). This move would be like going all in for next season.

Nevermind Joseph, Sokolov, the 4th, the 7th... but Pinto and 2 first round picks (not protected in 2023?) is way too pricey for me for 1 year of Kane and then be "stuck" with Jones contract. I'd rather be able to afford Sanderson's extension

Edit : oh and Ottawa signed Claude Giroux as their top-6 veteran winger. Adding Kane would be massive overkill. We need to keep Pinto and our 1sts, unless we get a young RD like Carlo (one 1st + other stuff would do it). The Top-9 is fine, and even stacked. If we add, it has to be a Top-4 RHD. Seth Jones is too pricey and signed way too long

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
What a silly trade.

Blow it up for 1 year of Kane? Lol no.
Blowing what up? We give up two 1st round picks and Pinto.

Not saying I would do it simply due to the cost of Jones but it really isn't much to give up for Kane and Jones.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Kane has an NMC and apparently there are only a select few markets he's willing to waive for. He's not coming here.
He getz the chance to play with Debrincat for one more season, on a stacked team, chance for a cup, and then he can move on to what ever team he wants or maybe stay if it's too good to leave.
Hard to believe a team will retain for 8 years.
For most of those seasons Chicago will be rebuilding and will definitely have the cap room to absorb 2 million. Makes Jones 7.5m per a lot more attractive. He is definitely worth that.
What a silly trade.

Blow it up for 1 year of Kane? Lol no.
Blow up what? We are trading away first and second rounders over the next 2 seasons and not giving up any of our depth. We would still have 2nd round picks both seasons because we own Nashville's in 2024. Chicago is the team trying to blow it up.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Too early to bet the farm IMO.
Sokolov and the picks we give away will have no effect on the rest of our roster. We still retain very good prospects.

Seth Jones isn't what he used to be. Kid has been on a downward slide for a few years now.

If he was at the peak of his game, I'd have a hard time saying no to that proposal.
Peak of his game is subjective. He would be surrounded by elite players and won't be depended on to do all the heavy lifting.
Both say no to coming here...Also Kane inst a need ,so it would be for Jones,again unlikely to even consider us as a destination
Kane isn't a need, he's one of the best luxuries to have in the league.
Seth Jones is considered significantly overpaid. Nobody is going to give positive assets for him now. Retaining 20% makes his contract a bit more affordable but still not worth much, if anything. Hawks would trade Jones for Zaitsev in a heartbeat for example. Also, retaining 20% for 8 years (1.9 per year) is just too long for them

Patrick Kane only has 1 year left. Ottawa wouldn't be able to afford him beyond that unless they start moving other players (core, ages). This move would be like going all in for next season.

Nevermind Joseph, Sokolov, the 4th, the 7th... but Pinto and 2 first round picks (not protected in 2023?) is way too pricey for me for 1 year of Kane and then be "stuck" with Jones contract. I'd rather be able to afford Sanderson's extension

Edit : oh and Ottawa signed Claude Giroux as their top-6 veteran winger. Adding Kane would be massive overkill. We need to keep Pinto and our 1sts, unless we get a young RD like Carlo (one 1st + other stuff would do it). The Top-9 is fine, and even stacked. If we add, it has to be a Top-4 RHD. Seth Jones is too pricey and signed way too long
We have 4.5 million coming of the books in 2 seasons due to our buyouts/salary retention, the cap should go up somewhat, Hamonic and Holden coming off the books next season. Pretty much a guarantee of sellouts and a few rounds of the playoffs. This is why one season of Kane could be so attractive plus we could trade him at he deadline to fill what ever hole we may have. In order to make the trade work you have to add the contracts of Zaitsev and Joseph, make it worth while for Chicago(2 1sts, 1 2nd) Sokolov,. If we don't have to add Pinto then don't but if we do so be it. Extending Sanderson and Stutzle wont be a problem.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Blowing what up? We give up two 1st round picks and Pinto.

Not saying I would do it simply due to the cost of Jones but it really isn't much to give up for Kane and Jones.

I see two firsts and Pinto(probably top 10 value)...so 3 firsts is definitely betting it all on these guys getting Ottawa the cup this year. Because Kane is gone after and Ottawa will have to give big raises to guys like stutzle.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I was going to throw in Formenton at first instead of Joseph and Pinto but then thought Chicago really doesn't need the bad PR if Formenton is apart of the investigation.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I see two firsts and Pinto(probably top 10 value)...so 3 firsts is definitely betting it all on these guys getting Ottawa the cup this year. Because Kane is gone after and Ottawa will have to give big raises to guys like stutzle.
What would Kane get at the deadline? A high first rounder from a team looking to chase the cup? that's what we would be doing with this trade. How ever you want to divide it up both Jones and Kane require adequate returns for the players they are. For Kane and Jones we are giving up 2 1sts, 2 seconds(Pinto drafted 2nd round) and the rest are throw ins to make the money work and to get a few extra assets for Chicago to use when wheeling and dealing at the next 2 drafts.

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
I can't see PD going for either guy considering how much he talks about the importance of character, etc.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It makes sense for Chicago and gives us a deal for a top pairing dman. The going rate is 9 mill, 7.5 is sooooo fair for 50 points on the blue line.
ya and a RD aswell. Even if Sanderson pans out if you can lock in Jones and Chabot on good deals long term thats a home run

Reactions: OD99 and Stylizer1

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hard pass on Jones. He's too floaty and not as defensively as sound as we need from a top pairing guy.

No to Kane as well as a rental. We finally don't have any issues for our forwards and need to keep our forward depth. Only reason to move pieces is for a sure fire RD to help with defense.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hard pass on Jones. He's too floaty and not as defensively as sound as we need from a top pairing guy.

No to Kane as well as a rental. We finally don't have any issues for our forwards and need to keep our forward depth. Only reason to move pieces is for a sure fire RD to help with defense.
Jones would be the best defensemen on the sens

Reactions: Stylizer1

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's really not.

We would have many of the top core guys locked up on decent contracts with a top 3 of Chabot/Jones/Sanderson/(Zub?).

Out forward depth is already looking good and while I am loathe to give up Pinto I would have to think about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad