OT: Ottawa Champions - Ottawa's new Can-Am baseball team!

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
You know what also produces a positive mindset?

Not having a revolving door of tenants for our baseball stadium.

Still think we should've just kept the FatCats, a victim of our misguided belief that Single-A ball was just over the horizon.

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
Bahahah baseball..people actually watch this? Baseball has to be right about up there with curling for being a terrible spectator sport...

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa

Still think we should've just kept the FatCats, a victim of our misguided belief that Single-A ball was just over the horizon.

Tough to not have a revolving door when people act like they do around here. No wonder Ottawa is an awful sports city.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Yes, that was sort sighted.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If I owned a sports team in Ottawa I'd call it the Ottawa Windchill, or maybe the Ottawa Icestorm. Stuff we have that most don't.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Tough to not have a revolving door when people act like they do around here. No wonder Ottawa is an awful sports city.

It's getting a lot better but yah, the lack of passion and general sports knowledge amongst the average Ottawa sports fan is pretty bad (present company excluded of course).

Oct 10, 2010
You should go out to a game with an open mind, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. It's good baseball - I went to a game in Quebec City last year and was really impressed. Much better calibre than the Fat Cats' league.

Lots of current major leaguers (including Jays pitcher Steve Delabar) have come out of this league. It's not just a baseball graveyard as people seem to think without any proof to back it up.

And i am interested in watching highly ranked prospects graduate throughout minor league baseball something that this league doesn't provide.
You also have 0 chance of seeing an MLB player getting sent down here for a rehab start or two, etc..

Quality of the league matters a great deal to me.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have to say, I'm consistently amazed at how badly we name our teams.

I've seen fans propose Highlanders, Lumberjacks, etc.

They seem reasonable enough.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
And i am interested in watching highly ranked prospects graduate throughout minor league baseball something that this league doesn't provide.
You also have 0 chance of seeing an MLB player getting sent down here for a rehab start or two, etc..

Quality of the league matters a great deal to me.

And I'm saying that the quality of this league is good, and you'd figure that out quickly if you gave it a shot.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And I'm saying that the quality of this league is good, and you'd figure that out quickly if you gave it a shot.

Where on the "Feeder System" hierarchy would you put it? If you had to put it somewhere in the middle of this chart:

Rookie Ball - - Low A - - High A - - AA - - AAA - - MLB

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Who cares what the name is. It's pretty awful but 90% of you guys won't go to a single game anyways. Typical Ottawa amiright?

I'm stoked. Time to bust out the Rapidz shirt.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Logo selected and website launched:

http://www.ottawachampions.com/

Looks half decent. Such a great stadium; nice to know I'll finally have a reason to go.

I don't even like baseball but I'll go to some games for sure. It'll take me about 5 minutes to walk there from my house. It's conveniant and cheap entertainment. And two of my friends are massive baseball fans. Should be good times. Who knows, maybe I'll learn to like baseball.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Inviting bad karma with that name.

Fat Cats, on the other hand, was terrific. Too bad the new team couldn't use that.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Where on the "Feeder System" hierarchy would you put it? If you had to put it somewhere in the middle of this chart:

Rookie Ball - - Low A - - High A - Can-Am - AA - - AAA - - MLB

Sorry, just saw this post now.

That is about where I'd put it. A little closer to High-A than it is AA, but in between them nonetheless. This is fairly similar to AA baseball, minus the prospects.

Last edited:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
*C'mon man seriously?

Also it's this attitude that consistently ranks us as the worst sports fans in the country. :shakehead

I live in Toronto! :laugh:

But seriously I was born and raised and spent most of my adult life in Ottawa. I love my hometown (hence the reason why I cheer for the Sens and RB's over the Laffs and Argos) but disagree with your assessment that Ottawa is the worst attitude-based sports town in NA. They are just fickle and demand success! :sarcasm: To me Ottawa is not a baseball town. For that sport to work you consistently need to field a winner year after year. Hockey & football are both different animals and works quite well in this city as long as the ownerships are stable and the results of the product are somewhat successful! Sorry this new baseball venture sounds like another fly-by-nighter! ..... But Go Champions! :vhappy:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad