OT: Ottawa Champions - Ottawa's new Can-Am baseball team!

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Love having baseball in Ottawa, but the name is just awful.

Should of been called the Ottawa Pylons :sarcasm:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not one to complain about names, but calling yourself Champions before you've won anything - much less played a single game - is the perfect example of hubris.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Not one to complain about names, but calling yourself Champions before you've won anything - much less played a single game - is the perfect example of hubris.

Guessing it was the least offensive name they could think of and as it is Ottawa there is limited "Champions" who reside in the city who can claim offense.

I dont know though "Ottawa Baseball Team" has a nice ring to it but i think they were really feeling risky lol.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Sounds like Eugene Melnyk named the team.

Does anyone know what level of baseball this is? Same as the fat cats?

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sounds like Eugene Melnyk named the team.

Does anyone know what level of baseball this is? Same as the fat cats?

Same league the Ottawa Rapidz played in. The CanAM League. So a Pro independant league.

EDIT: Also.. apparently last year the CanAM League was absorbed by the American Association of Independant Baseball.. but still choose to be recognized as it's own entity.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Same league the Ottawa Rapidz played in. The CanAM League. So a Pro independant league.

EDIT: Also.. apparently last year the CanAM League was absorbed by the American Association of Independant Baseball.. but still choose to be recognized as it's own entity.

Thanks Marty! :)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There is not a single name that could be used in this city without being complained about.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I thought FatCats was a dumb name when it was announced but I grew to love it.

It was self depreciating, which is the exact opposite of 'Champions'. I don't like the new name but maybe it will grow on me.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Worst name ever... and the fact that this name was a contest winner with Season tickets is hilarious.

I am 1000% convinced that no matter WHAT the name was, this exact same thread with the exact same hating comments would exist. It is quite possibly the only instance in which all the infinite different alternative, parallel universes in the multiverse experience the exact same sequence of events.

Welcome to Ottawa...where the municipal motto is "**** everything new". :shakehead

I'm thrilled about the new team, a great complement to our now overflowing sports landscape! Massive change from just a few years ago when Ottawa had amongst the worst live sports selections on the continent.

Oct 10, 2010
It's not the name that bothers me, it's the type of league.

I haven't looked it up or anything, so i really don't know what the issues were, but why couldn't they have A/AA/AAA and be affiliated with an MLB club?

It's cool they got a baseball team back, but this league doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Perhaps they mean Champion as in "elected to fight in the place of another", then it would make sense on many levels.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
"Champions"?

AH YES, Ottawa's long and rich history of bestowing terrible names onto our sporting teams. To this day, it remains our fair city's oldest tradition, older only by mere minutes to our 2nd oldest tradition: People complaining about other people complaining about terrible sporting team names.

The two sides, divided by deep and cutting rivalries, in a state of constant conflict, unaware of the dependence each side requires of the other for continued existence.

The cosmic ballet... goes on.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
There is not a single name that could be used in this city without being complained about.

There will always be a hard core of people who define themselves by what they dislike, which is why every name will always have some resistance.

Me, I'm not usually a 'slag on the name' type of person. In the end, it's the play on the field that defines how a team will do. Not their name.

But in this case, they are setting themselves up to fail if they don't win right off the gate.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
It's not the name that bothers me, it's the type of league.

I haven't looked it up or anything, so i really don't know what the issues were, but why couldn't they have A/AA/AAA and be affiliated with an MLB club?

It's cool they got a baseball team back, but this league doesn't interest me in the slightest.

You should go out to a game with an open mind, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. It's good baseball - I went to a game in Quebec City last year and was really impressed. Much better calibre than the Fat Cats' league.

Lots of current major leaguers (including Jays pitcher Steve Delabar) have come out of this league. It's not just a baseball graveyard as people seem to think without any proof to back it up.

SenatorArmy*

what a dumb name. Talk about setting the bar too high. I'm having a hard time picturing a meeting where a bunch of people got together & actually agreed that somehow this was a good name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad