Speculation: Ottawa all but eliminated from playoffs?

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
:laugh:

They can't even put a full 60 minutes together. You think they're basically going to run the table the rest of the season and get in to the playoffs?

jim-mora.jpg

Pass the pipe.

You sir win this thread!!!

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
that stretch of 5 games in 7 days will be interesting. Cant ever recall a team having to do that (though I dont follow other teams schedules that closely)

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
One game at a time. Had we won against Calgary and Edmonton we would be in a much better position, but we didn't. This team plays to the level of their competition. We can beat the best, but aren't consistent enough to beat the teams we should. Every game is a "must win" , but our game against montreal is a rivalry game, and I'm hoping they can motivate themselves well enough to win this one, and then take it to Colorado at home the following night. This is the time of year when the real playoff teams step up, and those that can't do it falter. I suspect that one of Toronto/Montreal/Tampa will not make it , after being so far ahead for the latter half of the season. If the Senators step up and do their thing, then they have a chance. Phillips really needs to alter his mindset about the way he plays as well. He's not the same athlete he used to be, and needs to be much better positioning wise. As is , the Senators have a bottom 5 defense, and with smart positioning, they can at least be better.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think we need a shake-up on the back end and considering Murray did nothing to address this at the deadline it's going to have to be either Borowiecki or Claesson I think. Not sure if it will work but it can't hurt at this point we need something to spark so energy.

KingK

Jan 14, 2014
I think we need a shake-up on the back end and considering Murray did nothing to address this at the deadline it's going to have to be either Borowiecki or Claesson I think. Not sure if it will work but it can't hurt at this point we need something to spark so energy.

We can be 3 points back of MTL if we beat them in our next game and win BOTH games in hand. No small feat. but do-able.

and I don't know why I quoted this lol

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
According to Sportsclubstats.com, things aren't looking quite as dire. Still bad, but marginally better. Some help on the out of town scoreboard has lowered the points threshold in the East from 94 down to 92. That would mean we would need to go 12-5, or 11-4-2, down the stretch to make it. (92 isn't a guarantee to be in, but it looks pretty solid at this point.)

Sweep the weekend games against the Habs and Avs and we would be back in the mix somewhat. Still in somewhat tough shape, but at least back in the conversation. I'm not brimming with confidence that we can do it, but I would absolutely love to be proven wrong on that.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
They need to beat Montreal in regulation and get at least a point against the Avs.

Then sweep the Rangers (that can be OT) and the Bolts (regulation).

That would put the Sens back at 40-50% chance.

That's a lot of work.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
They need to beat Montreal in regulation and get at least a point against the Avs.

That's a lot of work.

we have help.

red wings have imo the toughest scedule of remaining games for any team in the east

columbus has also got a tougher schedule then us in terms of competition.

tbay look like a team destined to colapse.....

we play tbay twice mtl twice win these and gain ground easily

weve got some gimme games against nyi twice rematch with cal and we play fla.

were not boned yet.

plus if we could win all 5 games on that 5 in 7 stretch boom gap is gone.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
we have help.

red wings have imo the toughest scedule of remaining games for any team in the east

were not boned yet.

I hate this post

I read it and I get hopeful

Now I will watch the team and I just KNOW they'll come out flat and my spirits will be crushed

This team is hard to like this year

KwanTuM

Aug 16, 2008
Birmingham, AL
we have help.

were not boned yet.

The problem with gimme games this year is that we have a tendency to lose them.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I hate this post

I read it and I get hopeful

Now I will watch the team and I just KNOW they'll come out flat and my spirits will be crushed

This team is hard to like this year

i wrote the post and i dont even think they can pull it off. just saying theyre in ok shape for a team thats in bad shape...if you get my meaning. also i did it in pointform to make it as uncomfortable to read as i am watching them play......figured id make ppl suffer with me.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
One game at a time. Had we won against Calgary and Edmonton we would be in a much better position, but we didn't. This team plays to the level of their competition. We can beat the best, but aren't consistent enough to beat the teams we should. Every game is a "must win" , but our game against montreal is a rivalry game, and I'm hoping they can motivate themselves well enough to win this one, and then take it to Colorado at home the following night. This is the time of year when the real playoff teams step up, and those that can't do it falter. I suspect that one of Toronto/Montreal/Tampa will not make it , after being so far ahead for the latter half of the season. If the Senators step up and do their thing, then they have a chance. Phillips really needs to alter his mindset about the way he plays as well. He's not the same athlete he used to be, and needs to be much better positioning wise. As is , the Senators have a bottom 5 defense, and with smart positioning, they can at least be better.

Keep in mind that the best teams aren't exactly " getting up " for playing Ottawa. The games against teams of say similar talent are more of a true barometer of a team.

KingK

Jan 14, 2014

That's a lot of work.

We need to win next 3 games, which would CLOSE the gap. With Detroit schedule, CHI TOR PITS.

MTL has 2 games in hand on us but we play them tonight, so we can 2 points tonight on them and then another 4 points for 6 points total so long as win those 2 games in hand.

We need to win win win, because standings will look skewed until we can catch all the games in hand of the teams above us.

jl09ab.png

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
What needs to happen for us to make it.

Hemsky Spezza Michalek remain lights out down the stretch.

Hoffman proves he belongs and produces at an above average clip.

Turris line performs to its lvl every game.

Karlson is Karlson.

Anderson goes GODMODE.

Power play gets better.

Penalty killing gets better.

Defense weathers storms better.

If all of this happens....i give us a 50/50 shot at making it.

because if all of this happens I believe a 14-4 record could happen. which is likely what it will take for us to get in.

...and Ryan Johansen gets a bad papercut.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Sens need to go 12-4-1 or better (93 Pts) to have a good shot at the playoffs. Is it possible? Sure and I will be rooting for them the whole way, but unless the jekyl and hyde routine stops it's not going to happen.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
The loss in Boston before the Olympic break. The butt whooping to Detroit at home the first game back and the loss to Edmonton pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Very hard to catch teams that are desperate just like us. I want Murry fired or some MAJOR changes to our back end. From Game 1 of the season, our D was mediocre and nothing was done to address it. It will be the same next year if nothing is done.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The loss in Boston before the Olympic break. The butt whooping to Detroit at home the first game back and the loss to Edmonton pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Very hard to catch teams that are desperate just like us. I want Murry fired or some MAJOR changes to our back end. From Game 1 of the season, our D was mediocre and nothing was done to address it. It will be the same next year if nothing is done.

:facepalm:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
One game at a time. Had we won against Calgary and Edmonton we would be in a much better position, but we didn't. This team plays to the level of their competition.

Well to be fair, Calgary and Edmonton went on a bit of a tear after Ottawa. So they were due. Do I think we can run the table? Yes, but it will take a heck of a lot of work. Lets hope these guys ate their wheaties and practiced hard this past week.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's not over until the fat lady sings but they are still giving up too many penalties, too many turnovers, some of these fancy boys don't compete hard enough & they spend too much time in their own end. They need to change quite a few things regarding how they play & I'm not sure this team can change that much in their game as quickly as they need to as a group to win as many games as they need to in order to make it to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad