GDT: Ottawa 67's VS Niagara IceDogs - Ottawa blows 2-0 lead, IceDogs win series 4-2.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
67's get creamed on home ice :amazed: A team that went 26-6 during the regular season totally mails in series! Down 3-2 headed to Niagara only a miracle will save them now

Should be a good nucleus next year though. The boys all come back a year older and stronger with TK and Baron leading the charge. Just a little too green this year to be challenging for a deep run. BUT they need to go draft a solid goalie as both of these kids suck ass! :laugh:

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
67's get creamed on home ice :amazed: A team that went 26-6 during the regular season totally mails in series! Down 3-2 headed to Niagara only a miracle will save them now

Should be a good nucleus next year though. The boys all come back a year older and stronger with TK and Baron leading the charge. Just a little too green this year to be challenging for a deep run. BUT they need to go draft a solid goalie as both of this kids suck ass! :laugh:

Konecny better be back next year. He should go low enough in the draft to avoid a sad-sack team that would want to keep him around. It would be a waste of talent if he's done with the 67's.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Herbst is horrible. His glove is always too low and never engaged to make a save. Lazarev is better IMO positionally but still way too small. If he woudn't be that small he'd be better

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
God I hate afternoon games. I keep telling myself "Don't forget the game, don't forget the game, don't forget the game." almost 2h in, forgot it was on.

IceDogs leading 4-3 with 11:50 left in the 3rd.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
WTF kind of call is that? You serious? :laugh:

Called an equipment penalty for losing his visor and not getting off the ice. Never seen that one before.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
67's out-coached, out-hustled and out-talented. Face it, Niagara is a far better team and it showed. You don't lose a 7-game series with a 2-0 lead and blow the series? Actually when they lost the other night at home it was all but over as far as I was concerned. This needs serious help in nets and on the blueline. Brutal!!

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll take a glass half full approach on the 67's series, and season. This was a nice bounce back season from the dumpster fire of the two seasons previous, and there is lots of reason for optimism going forward. They will likely get all of their top three scorers (Salituro, Konecny and Addison) back, and there aren't too many junior teams who can say that. Sure, Herbst had his ups and downs, but he had enough good outings that you have to figure he can take the next step next season. (Top three goalies in the OHL were all 19 year olds - that's not a coincidence.)

Most importantly, they have the right leadership in place with Jeff Brown. He is solid, no nonsense, and has a clear vision for where he wants to lead the team. It is night and day compared to the Chris Byrne years. Byrne ran this team into the ground with bad drafting, and he was a poor communicator as a coach. No one was sorry to see him go. Drafting used to be a real strength of the 67's, but you have seen recently just how fast you can hit the skids with a few bad drafts in a row. The 67's have scores of high Midget draft picks who never played a game for them - that hurts. That should start to change now.

67's will challenge for the division next season - bank on it. My only worry is that we will lose Jeff Brown to a pro job eventually...

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
67's out-coached, out-hustled and out-talented. Face it, Niagara is a far better team and it showed. You don't lose a 7-game series with a 2-0 lead and blow the series? Actually when they lost the other night at home it was all but over as far as I was concerned. This needs serious help in nets and on the blueline. Brutal!!

I don't know how you can relate a complete goaltending breakdown to being "out-coached".

Herbst did make a few key saves at times when the D line gave way, but he was horrendous at crucial times throughout the series. Reminded me of Lalime vs the Leafs.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brown doesn't sugar coat his criticisms of Herbst either - he's pretty blunt when the kid messes up, but praises him when he plays well. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I played hockey and football, I always appreciated coaches who were straight with us. The coaches you DIDN'T like were the ones who told you one thing, and then said something else to their staff, team executives, etc. No risk of that with Brown - dude is honest to a fault, and I respect that immensely.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I don't know how you can relate a complete goaltending breakdown to being "out-coached".

Herbst did make a few key saves at times when the D line gave way, but he was horrendous at crucial times throughout the series. Reminded me of Lalime vs the Leafs.

I said there were several factors involved in Ottawa's demise. Game 5, which was where the series was lost. Brown WAS outcoached!

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I disagree with the "outcoached" thing. I was at Game 5, and I'm struggling to think of what Brown could have done differently. I think you just had a situation where the 67's ran out of gas. Their captain was banged up and didn't play in the second half of the game (right after he scored, actually), and their goaltending was suspect. This was a 4/5 matchup, so it was basically a pick 'em, and Niagara has been one of the hottest teams in the OHL since Christmas. Even if the 67's had found a way to win this series, no way were they getting past Oshawa anyway.

This playoff experience was good for the 67's, who had almost no players on the roster who had ever been to the playoffs. You have to learn to walk before you can run...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I'll take a glass half full approach on the 67's series, and season. This was a nice bounce back season from the dumpster fire of the two seasons previous, and there is lots of reason for optimism going forward. They will likely get all of their top three scorers (Salituro, Konecny and Addison) back, and there aren't too many junior teams who can say that. Sure, Herbst had his ups and downs, but he had enough good outings that you have to figure he can take the next step next season. (Top three goalies in the OHL were all 19 year olds - that's not a coincidence.)

Most importantly, they have the right leadership in place with Jeff Brown. He is solid, no nonsense, and has a clear vision for where he wants to lead the team. It is night and day compared to the Chris Byrne years. Byrne ran this team into the ground with bad drafting, and he was a poor communicator as a coach. No one was sorry to see him go. Drafting used to be a real strength of the 67's, but you have seen recently just how fast you can hit the skids with a few bad drafts in a row. The 67's have scores of high Midget draft picks who never played a game for them - that hurts. That should start to change now.

67's will challenge for the division next season - bank on it. My only worry is that we will lose Jeff Brown to a pro job eventually...

The only pro job I could see him going to is if the Sens were to offer him a job I don't think he wants to leave Ottawa.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

But it really did not Ottawa took the first 2 game with ease Niagara won game 3 but game 4 and 6 were very close.

LeafsFIO*

How did Brown get "out-coached" in game 5? Putting in Lazarev gave the team their biggest spark of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad