Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Laforme may be playing the long game. I think that even if he does not play many games, he would still get the university time added to his eligibility.

He may be playing just for that

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Laforme may be playing the long game. I think that even if he does not play many games, he would still get the university time added to his eligibility.

He may be playing just for that

Technically, he just needs to play one game in the first half of the season and one game in the second half of the season. As long as he does that, he gets both semesters credited. So, he has the one semester in the bank. If he plays on January 1 (or later), he will get his second semester.

I think the ideal situation for Laforme is to get into some games and prove to at least one team that he can contribute to their team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I was ok with it.
Let's face it we have a small bunch of forwards we have, they need to stick up for themselves.

There were two fights in the game already, and frankly both were older bigger Sudbury players initiating:

Barlas, Chris
CL5.091832005-01-10

versus

Collins, NolanDR6.042102004-04-28

Really! Collins needed to challenge Barlas for taking him down with a clean hit? C'mon man!

And then Ethan Larmand went at it with Gardiner for no apparent reason.
Seriously? A big part of the game plan is let Boucher play his dirty game to throw the opposition off its game, then follow up with twerps such as; Barlas, Gardiner, Stonehouse instigate for retaliation.
It works. Hawerchuk’s colts were terrific at it. Sometimes though, you spot a bigger, stronger, more disciplined and skilled team like the battalion a lead; the result can be embarrassing for the team and coach.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
Seriously? A big part of the game plan is let Boucher play his dirty game to throw the opposition off its game, then follow up with twerps such as; Barlas, Gardiner, Stonehouse instigate for retaliation.
It works. Hawerchuk’s colts were terrific at it. Sometimes though, you spot a bigger, stronger, more disciplined and skilled team like the battalion a lead; the result can be embarrassing for the team and coach.

Someone else (PuckStop75) expressed it better than me.

Overall Sudbury had become very frustrated and were starting to "cross the line", and the overall feel of the game was that they were starting to take liberties with our players.

I was pointing out some examples. If you were there (not saying you weren't) you could see many attempts at initiating some rough stuff.

Some more examples included Gerrior (who was playing a great game) almost getting his head taken off a couple times when entering the Sudbury zone.

I think the hit, not just to the head, directly to Stonehouse's face, as he was defenseless, was pretty significant.
The way Boucher reacted, as he was busy handling the puck, I don't think he took the time to decide whether it was intentional or not. But Boudreau was definitely reckless and out for blood though on that shift, and I agree with Boucher that the line had been crossed.

As usual, this is just an opinion. I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. I appreciate both perspectives.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
There is a fine line between physical intimidating hockey, and dirty. They want Boucher to play right up against the line and only cross it when the situation is justifiable. Otherwise, he is only as useful as the players the others are goading into the stupid penalties, and he hurts the team. Boucher made his presence felt when the game was effectively over, Barlas, Gardiner and Stonehouse had already done their damage and when Sudbury took it to another level Boucher was there to shut it down.

If Boucher gets suspended, I don't like the timing, they have what will be another tough game against the Petes as well as the cross-conference games against Flint, Windsor and London. As important as it was to make the statement against Sudbury, there are more important games ahead. Boucher will need to learn how to get his pound of flesh without removing him self from play.

Hawerchuk's teams were notorious for having hugely successful seasons (won central 4 times) and then bowing out of the playoffs early, only making it to the finals once and losing in the 2nd round four times, all in a seven-year period. Lets hope Ottawa doesn't replicate that trend.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Someone else (PuckStop75) expressed it better than me.

Overall Sudbury had become very frustrated and were starting to "cross the line", and the overall feel of the game was that they were starting to take liberties with our players.

I was pointing out some examples. If you were there (not saying you weren't) you could see many attempts at initiating some rough stuff.

Some more examples included Gerrior (who was playing a great game) almost getting his head taken off a couple times when entering the Sudbury zone.

I think the hit, not just to the head, directly to Stonehouse's face, as he was defenseless, was pretty significant.
The way Boucher reacted, as he was busy handling the puck, I don't think he took the time to decide whether it was intentional or not. But Boudreau was definitely reckless and out for blood though on that shift, and I agree with Boucher that the line had been crossed.

As usual, this is just an opinion. I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. I appreciate both perspectives.
I did not see that game, so I cannot comment on a specific event in that game. But chasing after Barlas was a carry over for not getting even during the game in Sudbury.

Was it Guerior? Gardiner? crossing the middle head down straight into Lukin resulting with his face into Lukin’s helmut after contact? No matter the rules regarding blindsiding and head checks, don’t be defenceless.

Someone will eventually hurt Barlas and Stonehouse. In the meantime the penalties they draw is helping ‘67s win games.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is a fine line between physical intimidating hockey, and dirty. They want Boucher to play right up against the line and only cross it when the situation is justifiable. Otherwise, he is only as useful as the players the others are goading into the stupid penalties, and he hurts the team. Boucher made his presence felt when the game was effectively over, Barlas, Gardiner and Stonehouse had already done their damage and when Sudbury took it to another level Boucher was there to shut it down.

If Boucher gets suspended, I don't like the timing, they have what will be another tough game against the Petes as well as the cross-conference games against Flint, Windsor and London. As important as it was to make the statement against Sudbury, there are more important games ahead. Boucher will need to learn how to get his pound of flesh without removing him self from play.

Hawerchuk's teams were notorious for having hugely successful seasons (won central 4 times) and then bowing out of the playoffs early, only making it to the finals once and losing in the 2nd round four times, all in a seven-year period. Lets hope Ottawa doesn't replicate that trend.
It would be awesome if Boucher could deliver punishing body checks. He just does not have the anticipation or ability to cut-off escape-ways. Yet he is determined make hard contact resulting in his attempted hits to be outside of the rules

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Personally, I don’t think the Boudreaux hit was vicious. I think he meant to line up Stonehouse, as do all players given the opportunity, and he ended up colliding more with the head/face. That sort of play happens sometimes when you line a guy up and are committed to following through with the hit. If Stonehouse had have stayed sideways, it would likely have been a 2 minute boarding call. It is probably a mandatory 5 minute Major but barely. I’m not sure there is an option for a 4 minute minor for head checking, either 2 or 5&Game. So be it.

I don’t have an issue with Boucher stepping in but only to the degree of Instigator. Taking it to the ice and ending up with an Aggressor is taking it too far. I’m still not sure that is a true Aggressor but it was at least borderline so we have to accept the call on the ice. It is not like the call came out of nowhere.

The 67’s players need to make investments throughout the season. That was not a time to make an investment. We don’t play them again this season. Taking suspensions is not ideal in any situation but when you don’t line up against that team again this season then it is even worse to take a suspension. There is no investment in doing so. It won’t play over into another game this season so why bother?

They could be a playoff matchup but the 67’s shouldn’t need motivation for playoffs. Messages shouldn’t need to be sent just in case of a playoff matchup.

Anyway, it is what it is. If you live by the sword, you die by the sword and the 67’s do have a handful of players that live by the sword and walk the line. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I did not see that game, so I cannot comment on a specific event in that game. But chasing after Barlas was a carry over for not getting even during the game in Sudbury.

Was it Guerior? Gardiner? crossing the middle head down straight into Lukin resulting with his face into Lukin’s helmut after contact? No matter the rules regarding blindsiding and head checks, don’t be defenceless.

Someone will eventually hurt Barlas and Stonehouse. In the meantime the penalties they draw is helping ‘67s win games.

That was Dever in North Bay. Concussion. Out of the lineup week to week. The responsibility of awareness is now on the player delivering the hit, not on the player receiving the hit. That rule has changed so regardless whether I agree with your opinion in that regard or not, the rule clearly places the responsibility on the hitting player Now so the point is rather moot.

IMO, that was a head check but it doesn’t look like there was a reasonable enough angle to determine that. I feel like that was a 5 minute major and a 5-10 game suspension but we can’t determine that based on intuition from seeing a play without the right camera angle. Maybe Lukin gets away with one or maybe it was a crushing & clean hit, I dunno. I can’t tell for certain either way.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That was Dever in North Bay. Concussion. Out of the lineup week to week. The responsibility of awareness is now on the player delivering the hit, not on the player receiving the hit. That rule has changed so regardless whether I agree with your opinion in that regard or not, the rule clearly places the responsibility on the hitting player Now so the point is rather moot.

IMO, that was a head check but it doesn’t look like there was a reasonable enough angle to determine that. I feel like that was a 5 minute major and a 5-10 game suspension but we can’t determine that based on intuition from seeing a play without the right camera angle. Maybe Lukin gets away with one or maybe it was a crushing & clean hit, I dunno. I can’t tell for certain either way.
That is unfortunate for Dever.
The onus is on the hitter to avoid head contact, as it should be imo. But you can’t fault Lukin for Dever’s face hitting the side of Lukin’s helmut as a result of the collision.
The refs likely saw more angles than I during the 8-9 minute stoppage, and had another look when Cameron insisted on delaying the game another 4-5 minutes.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Two games for Boucher! Best case scenario imo as he deserved it. Probably would have only had a game misconduct if he stopped when the guy went down. Wonder what the Wolves player will get for his hit to the head?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
That is unfortunate for Dever.
The onus is on the hitter to avoid head contact, as it should be imo. But you can’t fault Lukin for Dever’s face hitting the side of Lukin’s helmut as a result of the collision.
The refs likely saw more angles than I during the 8-9 minute stoppage, and had another look when Cameron insisted on delaying the game another 4-5 minutes.
At the end of the day doesn't matter what we think, it's what the league thinks. I disagree he should't get a suspension. Two games would be fair imo as there was contact to the head and the onus is on the player to not take advantage of a vulnerable player. I don't think it was a malicious hit however. Anyhow he's probably not getting anything or we would have heard by now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
At the end of the day doesn't matter what we think, it's what the league thinks. I disagree he should't get a suspension. Two games would be fair imo as there was contact to the head and the onus is on the player to not take advantage of a vulnerable player. I don't think it was a malicious hit however. Anyhow he's probably not getting anything or we would have heard by now.
Often the discipline is handed out in time for the first game of the next week - Wednesday. If there is discipline, it probably starts with four games as Lukin was suspended last season for an intentionally hard hit.
The only head contact that I saw numerous times was Dever’s face to side of Lukin’s helmet. The refs made the right call on-ice imo. I actually think Lukin was gentle with Dever.

Last edited:

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Often the discipline is handed out in time for the first game of the next week - Wednesday.
The only head contact that I saw numerous times was face to side of helmet. I thought Lukin was actually gentle. The refs made the right call on-ice imo.
Just curious if there is anywhere online to see the video of the incidents that lead to OHL player suspensions. The OHL website used to post video of the suspendable incidents right? And I'm not just trolling the 67s suspensions lol (the Petes have had their fair share of suspensions).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just curious if there is anywhere online to see the video of the incidents that lead to OHL player suspensions. The OHL website used to post video of the suspendable incidents right? And I'm not just trolling the 67s suspensions lol (the Petes have had their fair share of suspensions).
Idk. I look at the game replay at the time of the assessed call (if someone did not clip and post the incident).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad