Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I didn’t watch the game last night in Oshawa but an 8-2 win in dominant fashion by the Generals points to potentially Peterborough struggling with a flu bug too. I’m not saying that’s the reason why but such a lopsided score suggests that is a possibility.
Or Peterborough was completely healthy and just got badly outworked by another OHL team... There isn't always an excuse to be had!

But while we're here, maybe the Gens whole first 18 games they were sick and now that they're finally healthy they're actually the best team in the league and that's what we saw last night?;)

Maybe Ottawa was constantly playing against sick teams and that's why they started 18-2 and now the other teams are healthy and Ottawa is regressing to their mean?

Do you now see how silly this sounds when someone else says it?:laugh:

Obviously I'm being hyperbolic but good teams get outworked by teams who aren't as good and lose to them. Just accept that and stop trying to make an excuse for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
10 forwards, 7 defence, NO Rohrer

1669508306884.png

67's down 1-0

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There were some ill MIA for the Petes last weekend. Maybe it was Miss, I’m not sure; but every team is/will be experiencing that.
I watched a good portion of the NB-Ham game. A disallowed goal kept it 2-1 and took some of the momentum NB had built away. Otherwise, Hamilton had a good game plan always where NB wanted to go.

67’s mostly looking a little better tonight but pretty shorthanded so will be a tough game.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Or Peterborough was completely healthy and just got badly outworked by another OHL team... There isn't always an excuse to be had!

But while we're here, maybe the Gens whole first 18 games they were sick and now that they're finally healthy they're actually the best team in the league and that's what we saw last night?;)

Maybe Ottawa was constantly playing against sick teams and that's why they started 18-2 and now the other teams are healthy and Ottawa is regressing to their mean?

Do you now see how silly this sounds when someone else says it?:laugh:

Obviously I'm being hyperbolic but good teams get outworked by teams who aren't as good and lose to them. Just accept that and stop trying to make an excuse for it.

It doesn’t sound ridiculous at all. Anyone who has known me as a poster going all the way back to the NOOF years knows I call it like I see it and knows I will toss shade when shade needs to be tossed. For a good 4-5 years I was raking Kilrea over the coals leading up to his retirement etc. I was VERY Unpopular amongst 67’s followers. I think I’ve earned a little respect when it comes to being impartial with my assessments.

I’ve touched upon how Ottawa had been lucky with their schedule and some of the nuances helping them out a bit which contributed to their 18-1 start. Dirty and I have had some convo’s about it on here. Catching Kitchener during their horrendous start is an example. Some fortunate results where they had no business winning games against some of the weaker teams playing just a single period and making it count. Loads of home games to start the season. Their play probably deserved a 15-4 start, not 18-1. That puts them about on par with Peterborough and North Bay which I think is a fair assessment.

You are missing the overall point though. Although it is possible that a team has a bad game now and then, or maybe a bad week here of there, it doesn’t explain ZERO scoring opportunities. If you watch a team play 19 games and then on their 20th game it looks like different players wearing the regular players jersey almost to a man for the entire team, it is suspicious. YOU ASKED pregame regarding the 67’s chances (Bodog bet) and I said that I felt they were not healthy becuase that’s what I had heard. Then they lay an egg with zero scoring opportunities and I follow it up with likely they were sick. I think that is a reasonable assessment and comment. It is not meant to be a disrespectful comment to the opposition. The flu does go through dressing rooms for many teams throughout the season. Some teams are able to take advantage. I‘ve seen North Bay quite a few games this season because I think they are a fun team to watch and I am being honest by saying they didn’t play particularly well In that 5-0 win. They were average compared to what I’ve seen them play this year. That is an honest assessment. Ottaw had absolutely nothing to give. Zero. North Bay took full advantage and Ottawa was fortunate North Bay didn’t run up the score.

It would be a different story if the opposition goalie was hot or maybe some bad bounces or a handful of posts that result in some poor luck. That is what we usually see when teams go through some of the losing streaks. Guys squeezing the sticks too tight etc. But when there is one game where almost the entire team is out of the play and can’t even put one shift together, it suggests something else is wrong. Maybe they went out the night before and got totally shit faced? Doubt it but it is possible. But, again, I had heard that the flu was going through the room last weekend. That’s what it looked like. A team full of players with no energy and heavy legs. Keeping in mind this is a team that wins based on tenacity and speed. Neither were present by more than about 4-5 guys.

The flu that is going around right now is kind of a bad one. Rohrer isn’t dressed tonight because of it. The recovery for many normal people I know has been difficult. We’ve seen some odd results over the last week to ten days and that is likely a contributing factor.

To be fair, I am looking at some other results around the league that seem odd and recognize that that could be an issue for some of those teams as well. CHEO in Ottawa is overflowing with kids illness with the flu and upper respiratory viruses. It’s a pretty bad cycle across a lot of the Province right now.

Maybe the Petes didn’t show up to play, maybe it was an anomaly game by Oshawa that they simply played a game to their potential and the previous games they were just a pile of steamy poo because they are lazy and poorly coached? Somehow they managed to put a single game together Out of the blue against a premier team? I don’t know but one team being under the weather is also an explanation and a reasonable question considering what we are seeing with Ottawa.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I also recall the NOOF, back when it was hosted at Queens University.

When I saw that the 67s had participated in a minor hockey practice, I became concerned. Many 67s players attend school in a more controlled environment, but Nepean has been going through a lot of sick hockey players the past few weeks. A few teams have 50% of their roster out sick.

It is what it is. It used to be mono that decimated teams. That was generally poor hygiene practice, but it is hard to stamp out.

No Rohrer tells me that this is bad. It will pass.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Better game tonight. Still a good number of guys coasting instead of keeping the feet moving but more guys were competitive tonight which is good. Tomorrow will still be a tough turnaround. Not a bad showing considering they couldn’t dress a full lineup.

Side note:
I thought Ethan Quick was active tonight. He was physical and seemed to want to mix it up a bit. I haven’t seen that out of him so far this year. It will be interesting if he gets into the lineup more to see if he has a bit more of an edge than we’ve seen so far.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
1669523867498.png

Kenny Walls calling tonight’s game the worst officiated of the season. I guess this was a missed offside that led to a goal. He wasn’t happy about the shenanigans at the end of the game but I thought it was a two way issue so no harm no foul in that regard.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG I don't think anyone on the team was coasting. I think that the Flu is probably going through the team. Those just getting it are not full speed ability, those that have it but can still play do not have the energy and those that are just coming back still have to get their health and energy back.

This is a team that is going to be in trouble medically for a couple of weeks. The scary thing is that it could screw p the WJC for Rohrer and Matier.

I am not at the point of downplaying or picking the team I think we have a great team. Better than you and I thought and that once the bug has gone its course and possibly after the Christmas break this team is still going to be the top team in the league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG I don't think anyone on the team was coasting. I think that the Flu is probably going through the team. Those just getting it are not full speed ability, those that have it but can still play do not have the energy and those that are just coming back still have to get their health and energy back.

This is a team that is going to be in trouble medically for a couple of weeks. The scary thing is that it could screw p the WJC for Rohrer and Matier.

I am not at the point of downplaying or picking the team I think we have a great team. Better than you and I thought and that once the bug has gone its course and possibly after the Christmas break this team is still going to be the top team in the league.
I understand that. That’s why some are coasting and not pushing like normal.

For the record, Matier doesn’t look like he has any ill effects. Same with Boucher. Those two have seemed fine. Dever looked good until he took the hit to the head and now looks concussed. Marrelli seems fine.

Tolnai and Stonehouse looked better but not quite there yet. Pinelli, Gardiner, Foster and Gerrior seem off still. Not sure about Barlas but he hasn’t shown anything now for three games. I didn’t notice Kelly playing at all tonight. Mayich still seems off. They put him lower on the defence chart away from Matier. I guess they are trying to lessen his ice time. It is a little harder to notice the defence but they aren’t quite there but a lot of that can be the forwards lagging a bit behind and not coming back as aggressively.

I doubt what we saw tonight will be different tomorrow but they will likely be mostly ok for next weekend. It may take them a couple weeks to get fully up to speed again but I think tomorrow’s game will probably the last of the tough ones. The younger kids rebound quicker than us old fogeys!

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
View attachment 613485

Kenny Walls calling tonight’s game the worst officiated of the season. I guess this was a missed offside that led to a goal. He wasn’t happy about the shenanigans at the end of the game but I thought it was a two way issue so no harm no foul in that regard.
No it's just a person purposely trying to deceive people into thinking it was a missed called lol. As I said on here last night, you can always find an excuse if you're looking for them

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Missed the game but it seems it was a better effort tonight. 3-2 not a bad result against the Petes with a depleted lineup etc. Why is Smyth suspended?

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
View attachment 613485

The shenanigans at the end of the game were because Matier fired the puck at Simpson long after the buzzer had sounded, not sure how Walls missed that but judging by his misreading of the non-offside I guess it's not a shock.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No it's just a person purposely trying to deceive people into thinking it was a missed called lol. As I said on here last night, you can always find an excuse if you're looking for them

I do need to be clear. I really don’t like replays for offsides. Most of them are so close as to not be significant anyway. It is like the baseball replays when a player slightly loses contact withthe bag. Insignificant plays becoming significant.

However, your replay shows the puck on the line and the foot on the line. The other screen shot show the puck still on the line and th player well over the line. It is offside. The puck needs to cross the line before the player. So, yes, it is offside but I don’t really care because to me it is insignificant. If the puck were advanced by 2 inches, it would be ok. Who cares? Kenny is making a mountain out of a molehill IMO.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The shenanigans at the end of the game were because Matier fired the puck at Simpson long after the buzzer had sounded, not sure how Walls missed that but judging by his misreading of the non-offside I guess it's not a shock.

Yeah. I don’t think Kenny had an issue withthe shenanigans. He was more commenting on Pinelli getting punched when his back was to the ice. No players had their gloves off as far as I remember. Little rabbit punches shouldn’t count.

My issue with the shenanigans was that Matier was simply taking the heat, wasn't trying to fight back and just wanted off the ice but still two guys washing his face etc. When Matier wasn’t fighting back at all, they should have just dispersed. They didn’t need to take it that far. Then Pinelli comes in “needlessly” and and makes it all worse.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah. I don’t think Kenny had an issue withthe shenanigans. He was more commenting on Pinelli getting punched when his back was to the ice. No players had their gloves off as far as I remember. Little rabbit punches shouldn’t count.

My issue with the shenanigans was that Matier was simply taking the heat, wasn't trying to fight back and just wanted off the ice but still two guys washing his face etc. When Matier wasn’t fighting back at all, they should have just dispersed. They didn’t need to take it that far. Then Pinelli comes in “needlessly” and and makes it all worse.
Any officiating issues aside, I thought it was a really entertaining game and would make for a terrific conference final.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Any officiating issues aside, I thought it was a really entertaining game and would make for a terrific conference final.
100%

I really like the makeup of the Petes and North Bay. I’m excited to see what happens at the deadline. I personally think the 67’s fans are going to be very disappointed with the deadline but we shall see.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Fired the puck at Simpson? You may want to watch the replay. There was no shot.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's won 5-1 today

GOAL
1ST 19:08
#10 Cameron Tolnai (12) scores. Assists: #25 Brad Gardiner, #6 Thomas Sirman
+/-

GOAL
2ND 13:03
#11 Henry Mews (2) scores. Assists: #13 Tyler Boucher, #12 Anthony Costantini POWER PLAYGAME WINNING
+/-

GOAL
2ND 14:38
#11 Henry Mews (3) scores. Assists: #20 Luca Pinelli, #29 Cooper Foster INSURANCE GOAL
+/-

GOAL
3RD 5:35
#13 Tyler Boucher (8) scores. Assists: #17 Brady Stonehouse
+/-

GOAL
3RD 13:08
#25 Brad Gardiner (12) scores. EMPTY NETSHORT HANDED
+/-

STARS OF THE GAME​

8716.jpg

FIRST