Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Anybody going to the scrimmages today and tomorrow? If so would love to get feedback. Dam work getting in the way of hockey for me again!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Anybody going to the scrimmages today and tomorrow? If so would love to get feedback. Dam work getting in the way of hockey for me again!

I’m more interested in getting a copy of the Training Camp Roster.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Why the heck are they doing 3v3 at training camp?

Probably want to see speed and skill. The team is pretty much set. It is more about who they are cutting out of the signed players. May as well run some 3v3 scrimmages and see if anyones speed and skill stands out.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good news that Teddy Sawyer is in camp playing. His injury status had him out until about the start of the season. Looks like he is ahead of schedule!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good news that Teddy Sawyer is in camp playing. His injury status had him out until about the start of the season. Looks like he is ahead of schedule!
Yes good news but if he's ready to go to start the year, it will almost force the 67's to move a d- man sooner than expected. No way they start the year with nine bodies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes good news but if he's ready to go to start the year, it will almost force the 67's to move a d- man sooner than expected. No way they start the year with nine bodies.

As of right now, if they keep 20 skaters, IMO only 11 of them are Forwards.
Forwards…. Defence…
Tolnai. Matier
Beck. Sawyer
Rohrer. Gill-Shane
Boucher. Sirman
TJ. Mayich
Barlas. Smyth
Pinelli. Costantini
Foster. Mews
Stonehouse. Marrelli
Gardiner
Gerrior

That leaves Laforme, Dever, Ewles, Kelly and Quick as the signed players on the outside looking in.

My concern, as is Boyd’s, is they only have 30 player cards. I agree with you that they need to resolve the roster configuration prior to the puck drop in game one. If they start with Nine D-Men with the intention of trimming it down to 7, they would burn two player cards on D-Men on the roster that start the season and later get traded. It makes no sense to do that. Additionally, other teams don’t want to resolve their issues early season. They don’t want to burn cards on players they will replace and/or trade. They will want a solidified roster before punch drop in game one as well. So there will be willing trade partners for sure.

I am reasonably certain that you are correct. They will likely trade one of the D-Men. They will likley keep 8 D-Men and play one as a forward to start the season until they add the OA Forward or Import Forward.

Sawyer, Sirman and Mayich are the three to watch on the trade front and I listed them in order. Those are the three I think we’d get solid value for. I can’t see them trading their RH D-Men (Costantini, Matier, Gill-Shane). However, Ewles plays the right side so if he shows very well, maybe it makes one of Costantini or Gill-Shane expendable. I just don’t see it happening though.

My $$$ is on Sawyer being traded for a 2nd and 4th Plus a conditional 3rd (OA next year). Tough trade to make but someone has to go and I don’t think they’d entertain trading one of the 18 year olds. Laforme will be released. Dever, Quick and Ewles will be reassigned on Development cards. Kelly will be the 20th skater. We’ll see him and one of the D-Men rotating into the foward lines until they find their OA.

Reactions: sirius67fan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG could we also see a trade not for picks but for an OA center. We also have to look at who is going to NHL camps and who will be back.

You mentioned earlier that Boucher could go to the AHL.
Who will be going to NHL camps this year other than the players that are drafted?
Did anyone get an invite to rookie camps?

Sawyer coming back is IMO only because he needs to show teams that he can play and is worth their looking at him.

It will be interesting to see how this team pans out.

I agree that the lineup is relatively set.

But a player can always come out of the gate and surprise people. There is usually one every season. Who thought Mackenzie would be better than Donoso in camp last year?

I am looking at a forward or as you said, Ewle may show something that makes Constantini expendable.
Imagine playing with 2 open OA cards at the deadline.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OMG could we also see a trade not for picks but for an OA center. We also have to look at who is going to NHL camps and who will be back.

You mentioned earlier that Boucher could go to the AHL.
Who will be going to NHL camps this year other than the players that are drafted?
Did anyone get an invite to rookie camps?

Sawyer coming back is IMO only because he needs to show teams that he can play and is worth their looking at him.

It will be interesting to see how this team pans out.

I agree that the lineup is relatively set.

But a player can always come out of the gate and surprise people. There is usually one every season. Who thought Mackenzie would be better than Donoso in camp last year?

I am looking at a forward or as you said, Ewle may show something that makes Constantini expendable.
Imagine playing with 2 open OA cards at the deadline.
I wouldn't worry about Boucher, Dorion pretty much said he would be in junior next year. And yes it would be nice to have two OA spots to play with at the deadline...more on that below!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As of right now, if they keep 20 skaters, IMO only 11 of them are Forwards.
Forwards…. Defence…
Tolnai. Matier
Beck. Sawyer
Rohrer. Gill-Shane
Boucher. Sirman
TJ. Mayich
Barlas. Smyth
Pinelli. Costantini
Foster. Mews
Stonehouse. Marrelli
Gardiner
Gerrior

That leaves Laforme, Dever, Ewles, Kelly and Quick as the signed players on the outside looking in.

My concern, as is Boyd’s, is they only have 30 player cards. I agree with you that they need to resolve the roster configuration prior to the puck drop in game one. If they start with Nine D-Men with the intention of trimming it down to 7, they would burn two player cards on D-Men on the roster that start the season and later get traded. It makes no sense to do that. Additionally, other teams don’t want to resolve their issues early season. They don’t want to burn cards on players they will replace and/or trade. They will want a solidified roster before punch drop in game one as well. So there will be willing trade partners for sure.

I am reasonably certain that you are correct. They will likely trade one of the D-Men. They will likley keep 8 D-Men and play one as a forward to start the season until they add the OA Forward or Import Forward.

Sawyer, Sirman and Mayich are the three to watch on the trade front and I listed them in order. Those are the three I think we’d get solid value for. I can’t see them trading their RH D-Men (Costantini, Matier, Gill-Shane). However, Ewles plays the right side so if he shows very well, maybe it makes one of Costantini or Gill-Shane expendable. I just don’t see it happening though.

My $$$ is on Sawyer being traded for a 2nd and 4th Plus a conditional 3rd (OA next year). Tough trade to make but someone has to go and I don’t think they’d entertain trading one of the 18 year olds. Laforme will be released. Dever, Quick and Ewles will be reassigned on Development cards. Kelly will be the 20th skater. We’ll see him and one of the D-Men rotating into the foward lines until they find their OA.
I have lots of thoughts on this and certainly a nice problem to have all that depth on D. First of all Cameron is on record saying he likes to carr y 8 D for practise, injuries and because of tournaments...under 17, world juniors etc..
So we're at ten so who goes. I personally can't see a path for Ewles unless he looks like the second coming of Bobby Orr in camp ( hey anything is possible), let's face it he's not going to get icetime over a 6th overall pick with a much higher ceiling or Marelli for that matter. So let's assume he's sent down, we're at nine. So who else goes? I agree with you that Sawyer, Sirman, Mayich are candidates but the more I think about it I would add Costantini. Reason for this is twofold. Right now he projects as a third paring right D. Well do you want an OA in that role?? Don't get me wrong he's a good player but my second point. Looking at this roster let's say we look as contenders imo we need to bolster our forward group. If we add a center and a winger that can score all of a sudden we look formidable.Trading Costantini permits us to get two OA forwards.

So I see two scenarios
One we trade Costantini our D looks like this
Matier/Mayich
Gill/Smyth
Mews/Sawyer
Marelli/Sirman
This gives us a quality shutdown pair in Gill/Shane/Smyth and gives Mews sheltered third pairing minutes with a quality vet in Sawyer and he can contribute on the pp. As for Mayich they played him the whole year with Matier so they obviously like him on that first pairing.

Option two is to trade Sawyer which gives us
Matier/Mayich
Gill-shane/Smyth
Costantini/Sirman
Mews/Marelli
Good group but I don't see it as better than option one and it removes flexibility to add at the deadline and would limit Mews' development a bit. So I'm leaning to Costantini as the odd man out.
One last thought is although Cameron likes to keep 8 D, with either scenario above I don't see it as tenable for a whole season barring injuries. Somebody will not be happy with their icetime ( Sirman, Smyth, Mayich??) and may ask for a trade so we're probably at seven post trade deadline imo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t see Costantini traded. This is a relatively young and inexperienced defence. I cannot see them moving the guy with the most experience and a RHD to boot. But, a Sawyer is experienced as well and he’s the one we are anointing as the odd man out so who knows? I think if they move out Costantini, it will end up being an OA puck moving D-Man that replaces him.

They will keep 8 D-Men but one will likely fill in at forward like Sirman did last year. This is why I had suggested Mews was the likely candidate since he was a forward for his whole career until last year. But, he is also a Righty so that seems somewhat less likely. I’m not going to rule that out but I think it would be more of a rotation as opposed to a reassignment for one particular player.

If they were to have unlimited cards, it would make sense to send Marrelli down until they work out deadline deals. But they’d be eating player cards going that route.

I’m not counting out Ewles either. If he shows well in camp, he could very well be a strong candidate for the #8 spot that plays 4th line forward. He has the skill set that would translate well IMO.

As to trading a player for an OA, it could happen but it is more likely they trade a D-Man for picks and then use the picks for the OA. It isn’t often that those types of deals are available in one trade. Usually it is one team looking for a player and you work out the pick deal. Then you have a team looking to move an OA before the season and that is a second pick deal. Odds of that being the same team is 1 in 19. Of it is a seriously impactful OA, then it may be player and picks. But if it is a player and picks, it ia more likely a younger player, not Sawyer.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Mews Marelli is a bad pairing.

Matier/Mayich
Gill-shane/Smyth
Costantini/Mews/Marelli
Sirman Ewle

Would make more sense but it means carrying an extra D

Constantini gives the backup that the rookies need

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mews Marelli is a bad pairing.

Matier/Mayich
Gill-shane/Smyth
Costantini/Mews/Marelli
Sirman Ewle

Would make more sense but it means carrying an extra D

Constantini gives the backup that the rookies need

The reality is we need to wait for the trade to happen so we know which piece is moving out. Then we can fill in the gaps. We have five LHD and five RHD. So that shouldn’t be an issue. The only issue is two of the RHD are rookies. This is why I don’t see Matier, Costantini, nor Gill-Shane moved. I think you can line those three up on the right side. Matier will take the first Left side slot. After that? Who knows?

Marrelli and Mews may not be a pairing but they may be the Left-Right on a depth chart represented as a fourth pairing.

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Gone - Gil Shane, Sawyer, Sirman
The rookies can do the same job

Marelli / Matier
Mayich / Ewles
Smyth / Constantini
Mews

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Are these new shirts? Also was that large screen there last season?

1662074597485.png

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
No Donoso, Boucher, or Laforme in the afternoon session today.

Based on what I saw, we ain't going to score many goals this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No Donoso, Boucher, or Laforme in the afternoon session today.

Based on what I saw, we ain't going to score many goals this year.
Once we snag that OA centre that can play front line, the lineup should stretch out enough to score goals.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The first day of practice is a scary day for many players, even the returning ones.

We are not going to know about scoring ability until the season starts.

We also do not know what system Cameron is pushing in camp.

Give these guys time to see what they are doing and to find out what the coaching staff wants.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just saw that Barrie tried to trade del monte and it got cancelled probably by him. Wonder if he would like to come to Ottawa.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Are these new shirts? Also was that large screen there last season?

View attachment 580896
Those are just practice jerseys, as evidenced by the ugly numbers on the front. ;-) I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.

And yes, that screen has been there for a while - they got it from the Canadian Tire Centre years ago when the Sens got a new screen. The roof at the Civic Centre, err, I mean TD Place won't support a scoreboard or screen, so it has to go on the wall. Yet another reason why a new building is so badly needed.

Reactions: mianjo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad