Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just spitballing, the Petes have an OA excess, would Ottawa native C Jax Dubois be a fit for you?

I think Ottawa has some investigating to do before they make any decisions on players like Dubois.

I really feel the Petes need to keep Dubois. They can’t bottom out. I think he will form an integral part of the on ice development of other players. If he makes the sacrifice and plays the bigger role, it helps protect a younger player form having to do it.

From an Ottawa perspective, I think everyone is comfortable with Gardiner At centre. Pinelli will probably be fine but I’d still prefer him on the wing. But, if he does stock at centre, then it comes down to whitehad. If he can be capable at the 3C spot then I don’t see Ottawa making any moves for player sunless they are super cheap. Rohrer stayed in Europe. Beck was traded. The cards are showing more of a rebuild with purpose rather than a competitive shot.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think Ottawa has some investigating to do before they make any decisions on players like Dubois.

I really feel the Petes need to keep Dubois. They can’t bottom out. I think he will form an integral part of the on ice development of other players. If he makes the sacrifice and plays the bigger role, it helps protect a younger player form having to do it.

From an Ottawa perspective, I think everyone is comfortable with Gardiner At centre. Pinelli will probably be fine but I’d still prefer him on the wing. But, if he does stock at centre, then it comes down to whitehad. If he can be capable at the 3C spot then I don’t see Ottawa making any moves for player sunless they are super cheap. Rohrer stayed in Europe. Beck was traded. The cards are showing more of a rebuild with purpose rather than a competitive shot.

I'm just not sure they have room to keep him unless they are selling off other OAs. In general, I'm sure they'd like to keep Dubois and Gauvreau, but they both likely rank behind Simpson, Lockhart and Mayer barring a trade. Two of the five cannot remain Petes by the OA cutdown.

I could totally see trading the two who return the most, but won't pretend to know what they are thinking.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think we should go with Mews and Mayich, Marrelli and Ewles, then fill the other couple of spots with Smyth, Brady or Dietsch. Sirman can jump in once he is ready to return,. I agree, a solid OA dman would be very good to settle the whole unit down.

Horner is a give away machine and Maclean well he just seems to stand around with no real involvement in the play.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

fairly confident there will be no moves by ottawa until they know if they are good enough to do anything.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm just not sure they have room to keep him unless they are selling off other OAs. In general, I'm sure they'd like to keep Dubois and Gauvreau, but they both likely rank behind Simpson, Lockhart and Mayer barring a trade. Two of the five cannot remain Petes by the OA cutdown.

I could totally see trading the two who return the most, but won't pretend to know what they are thinking.

I think Mayer will be traded. I think they will move guys of more serious value. That’s why I think Dubois stays. I think his value isn’t all that high. His value to Peterborough is higher in their uniform than out of it.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Brock Otten (who is pretty respected in OHL circles) is picking Ottawa to win the East.

Figures they will add an OA early.

2. Ottawa 67's (East Division Champs)
Let's not forget how good the 67's were last year in the first half before they made some moves to bolster their roster. So while I am concerned about depth following some roster losses, especially after moving a disgruntled Jack Beck, I do have faith that this young team can put together another really good season in a weaker East Division. They return their strong goaltending platoon of Donoso and MacKenzie, and they should be able to roll out two very good scoring lines. Their young defense is solid, but I am most concerned with the loss of Jack Matier, forcing the likes of Henry Mews and Frankie Marrelli into significant roles in their draft years. Their plenty talented, but we saw what that pressure did to Cam Allen last year. I'd look for the 67's to dip into the OA market early from teams facing a roster crunch.

Reactions: dirty12

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
OHL Power Rankings to begin the season.

Ottawa third behind London and Saginaw.

1695669525897.png

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
I would check in & see what the price tag is on Christopoulos out of NB as they seem to have many OA’s

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I take it he didn't get a lot of icetime
He took a regular shift on our checking line and got lots of ice time. The Petes routinely rolled four lines. He is excellent on face offs. He fits well with offensive players. His wingers last year at various times included Chase Stillman, JR Avon and Connor Lockhart.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I think Mayer will be traded. I think they will move guys of more serious value. That’s why I think Dubois stays. I think his value isn’t all that high. His value to Peterborough is higher in their uniform than out of it.
I am not so sure they are going to trade Connor Lockhart, Sam Mayer or Michael Simpson at least to start the season. They may at the trade deadline but from what Rob Wilson said on the Peterborough Petes segment of the OHL 20 in 20 all three are expected to be a big part of the Petes team this year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am not so sure they are going to trade Connor Lockhart, Sam Mayer or Michael Simpson at least to start the season. They may at the trade deadline but from what Rob Wilson said on the Peterborough Petes segment of the OHL 20 in 20 all three are expected to be a big part of the Petes team this year.
The Petes I thin,k are going to take the same approach that Hamilton did last year win enough games to ensure they make the playoffs but trade and refill the cabinet. Trades are done because a team has a need and approaches another team with a proposal.

I think that all OA and 19-year-olds are avail for trade depending on the offer.

Kngton got rid of Beck who I think realized that he did not enjoy things in Ottawa and saw the writing on the wall as to the trade deadline.

I agree that the 67's will probably stand pat. That being said if a D that was second pairing or a skilled center came on the market cheap or at the same value as Beck, they probably would take it with the understanding that the player may not finish the season in Ottawa.

Most lower tier OA do not care about their OHL future they simply want to play to get the extra year of university.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Petes I thin,k are going to take the same approach that Hamilton did last year win enough games to ensure they make the playoffs but trade and refill the cabinet. Trades are done because a team has a need and approaches another team with a proposal.

I think that all OA and 19-year-olds are avail for trade depending on the offer.

Kngton got rid of Beck who I think realized that he did not enjoy things in Ottawa and saw the writing on the wall as to the trade deadline.

I agree that the 67's will probably stand pat. That being said if a D that was second pairing or a skilled center came on the market cheap or at the same value as Beck, they probably would take it with the understanding that the player may not finish the season in Ottawa.

Most lower tier OA do not care about their OHL future they simply want to play to get the extra year of university.
My feeling the Petes will do some sort of rebuild this year. I think they first want to see what the team can do with Beck, Lockhart, Mayer and Simpson all in the lineup. The Petes have some players that could have a breakout season. Jonathan Melee has already shown what he is capable of in the playoffs. Others that could have good seasons are Chase Lefebvre, Tommy Purdeller and Sam McCue. With Mayer in the lineup combined with veterans Donovan McCoy, Konnor Smith and 1st round draft pick, Carson Cameron they have a good top four defence and with Michael Simpson, Liam Sztuska and Easton Rye they are strong in goal. I think the Petes may surprise this year. They will not finish in the top four and will not win the conference or league championship this season. They expect to make the playoffs from what has been said in the media. I expect they will be doing at minimum a small rebuild. They may keep their top overages but I am sure Owen Beck will be traded for a 16 or 17 year old player and multiple draft picks. Konnor Smith could also be traded for a 17 or 18 year defenceman and a couple of draft picks. I am certain Connor Lockhart will stay for the season but the Petes could trade Michael Simpson and Sam Mayer if the price is right. It will not be a situation that they take what they can get for them. The Petes need to obtain three, 2nds, two, 3rds, three, 4ths and two, 5ths round draft picks to fully restock their draft cupboard. If they get two, 2nds, one 3rd and a 4th for Beck; a 2nd and 3rd for Smith and a 5th each for Jax Dubois and Cam Gauvreau they have almost restocked it.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My feeling the Petes will do some sort of rebuild this year. I think they first want to see what the team can do with Beck, Lockhart, Mayer and Simpson all in the lineup. The Petes have some players that could have a breakout season. Jonathan Melee has already shown what he is capable of in the playoffs. Others that could have good seasons are Chase Lefebvre, Tommy Purdeller and Sam McCue. With Mayer in the lineup combined with veterans Donovan McCoy, Konnor Smith and 1st round draft pick, Carson Cameron they have a good top four defence and with Michael Simpson, Liam Sztuska and Easton Rye they are strong in goal. I think the Petes may surprise this year. They will not finish in the top four and will not win the conference or league championship this season. They expect to make the playoffs from what has been said in the media. I expect they will be doing at minimum a small rebuild. They may keep their top overages but I am sure Owen Beck will be traded for a 16 or 17 year old player and multiple draft picks. Konnor Smith could also be traded for a 17 or 18 year defenceman and a couple of draft picks. I am certain Connor Lockhart will stay for the season but the Petes could trade Michael Simpson and Sam Mayer if the price is right. It will not be a situation that they take what they can get for them. The Petes need to obtain three, 2nds, two, 3rds, three, 4ths and two, 5ths round draft picks to fully restock their draft cupboard. If they get two, 2nds, one 3rd and a 4th for Beck; a 2nd and 3rd for Smith and a 5th each for Jax Dubois and Cam Gauvreau they have almost restocked it.

That is basically the same thing that Hamilton did. Expect them to keep their players and then see what offers they get and make the deals that will help them in the next 5 years.

The only thing that we know for sure is that the East is going to have a lot of teams that will be tweaking and retooling. I am not sure anyone is going to be in a full rebuild. As to championships that's going to be a western thing unless someone really surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad