Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Can anyone comment on whether Beck is a triggerman or a playmaker? Two years ago he had 22G, 22A which indicates triggerman, but then last year he had 12G, 41A which indicates playmaker?

Reactions: HF92

Blasty15

Dec 10, 2022

Can anyone comment on whether Beck is a triggerman or a playmaker? Two years ago he had 22G, 22A which indicates triggerman, but then last year he had 12G, 41A which indicates playmaker?
He's a rather versatile player. Two years ago there was definitely less fire power with the 67s and Beck was more of the focal point of the offence. Last year, he took more of a back seat to Morrison in the sense of he passed up on good chances to create higher quality scoring chances for his linemates. That being said, watching some of the games, he was surely snake-bit and wasn't finding the back of the net from opportunities that may have gone a year prior.
It'll be interesting in the Soo as I assume he'll be on McConnell-Barker's wing so uncertain which role he "decides." I lean towards playmaker with a 1:2 goal to assist ratio on his overall point total, whatever that turns out to be.

Reactions: LDN and HockeyPops

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am still confused as to why Beck wanted a trade. Ottawa is a strong organization with good facilities, one of best coaches in the CHL, and plenty of chances for NHL scouts to see you live when you play in an NHL city. No disrespect to the Soo, but what do they offer him for his OA year that we don't?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Was Beck returned from camp or is he still in NHL training camp?
He wasn’t invited to the Hurricanes’ main camp.

I agree with the other posters- move any unhappy player along. Ottawa has incredible coaching, development, facilities and management. Very odd to see a player of Beck’s ilk want out.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I am still confused as to why Beck wanted a trade. Ottawa is a strong organization with good facilities, one of best coaches in the CHL, and plenty of chances for NHL scouts to see you live when you play in an NHL city. No disrespect to the Soo, but what do they offer him for his OA year that we don't?
Ice time? Idk was it a numbers game in Ottawa with having more than 3 OAs?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Morrison is most likely a player that can have a long career as a high scoring AHL player with occasional call-ups to the NHL. Players of that ilk can be of great benefit to the NHL team and affiliate; and a good life for the player.

110%. Lots of guys like that play until 34 making $400k per year. Savouring plays in the Sens organization, never plays up but gets real money playing AHL protecting the team and being a good leader. Nothing wrong with that!

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Seems a good return for this years pre-season OA market; and, a good fit for the hounds style of play.
Good trade imo.

Yup. I figured if we were able to wait through to the deadline, maybe we could squeeze two 2nds but I think that is what I predicted, a 2nd and 3rd For a pre-season deal. The disappointing thing is the picks are a little later so their value isn’t as high. They did fill the 2nd round pick hole in 2026. That’s good. They’ve managed to fill the two 2nd round pick holes in 2025 and 2026 with the two deals they have made so far. They still have the holes in 2025 and 2026 for the 3rd and 4th rounds. I think they can fill in those holes with a couple other deals as the season progresses. They potentially have a solid OA available next year with the potential for all of Gerrior, Mayich, MacK and Stonehouse all likely to return. They can fill in more pick holes next year as well.

The roster is starting to round into focus. It is looking more like a “do the best you can with what you got” type of year. I lean more on the Beast side of the equation where they probably need to give the team a little time to see where they are before they make any acquisitions. Of course, if someone falls in their lap so be it but other than that, I think we are going to stand pat from an acquisition perspective. Maybe a backup goalie if Donoso gets moved.

Their season truly starts this weekend with their last exhibition game.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Possibly, he saw the writing on the wall in that he was going to be a piece to be traded later in the season and decided to get a jump on it.
A second reason could be that he did not see himself gaining anything here with, at best Garner as his center.

Then of course there is the who knows sometimes players just want a change. He may have realized that he was not going anywhere after OHL an decided to move on with his life.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Possibly, he saw the writing on the wall in that he was going to be a piece to be traded later in the season and decided to get a jump on it.
A second reason could be that he did not see himself gaining anything here with, at best Garner as his center.

Then of course there is the who knows sometimes players just want a change. He may have realized that he was not going anywhere after OHL an decided to move on with his life.

Just speculation on my part but he had two weird injuries and maybe he wants to try to shake off the bad juju.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
He's a rather versatile player. Two years ago there was definitely less fire power with the 67s and Beck was more of the focal point of the offence. Last year, he took more of a back seat to Morrison in the sense of he passed up on good chances to create higher quality scoring chances for his linemates. That being said, watching some of the games, he was surely snake-bit and wasn't finding the back of the net from opportunities that may have gone a year prior.
It'll be interesting in the Soo as I assume he'll be on McConnell-Barker's wing so uncertain which role he "decides." I lean towards playmaker with a 1:2 goal to assist ratio on his overall point total, whatever that turns out to be.
The question you have with Beck is whether can he stay healthy and what role the staff wants him to play. He can score or be a set-up man not sure how he will fair in eh corners but he is not afraid of them.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If Beck stays healthy and is put in a situation with a responsible centre, he will score 40-50-90 without much of a doubt. He’ll do it while being very competent in his own end.

Reactions: HockeyPops

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It will be interesting to see who stays as the center when everyone gets back.

Barlas had the best FOW numbers.

Also interesting to see Marelli drop the loves and go at it.

Should be an interesting year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Gerrior Gardner Stonehouse
KorblerPInelli Uronen
BarlasFoster Dever
HiltonWhitehead Kelly

Yanni

I think with the forward situation the way it is now, we can look at this as a line-up.

I moved Korlbler to left as we have a shortage of Left-wing and an excess of Right. He is also a L-shot

Obviously, with 2 open OA spots, things can change but I think it is going to be a case of who is available and what positions they play Example I do not think we need a 3rd line winger Nor do we need a Defenceman. If we get an OA center then maybe we can move Foster up to the LW on the second line.

BTW I am not rating the lines by ability i do not think at this stage we have a 1 and 2 what we have is 2 good lines that are going to cause the same amount of damage

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
KorblerPInelli Uronen
BarlasFoster Dever
HiltonWhitehead Kelly

Yanni

I think with the forward situation the way it is now, we can look at this as a line-up.

I moved Korlbler to left as we have a shortage of Left-wing and an excess of Right. He is also a L-shot

Obviously, with 2 open OA spots, things can change but I think it is going to be a case of who is available and what positions they play Example I do not think we need a 3rd line winger Nor do we need a Defenceman. If we get an OA center then maybe we can move Foster up to the LW on the second line.

BTW I am not rating the lines by ability i do not think at this stage we have a 1 and 2 what we have is 2 good lines that are going to cause the same amount of damage

I think a case can be made to acquire an OA D-Man. Fro the development of both Marrelli and Mews, one plays with Mayich, the other plays with the OA acquisition. As 17 year olds, it would be good for both of them to play with other D-Men with experience. Help them along a bit. Wouldn’t hurt. I know we have some big numbers already back there but if this is a development year, the two that we need moved along are MArrelli and Mews. They will anchor this team next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think a case can be made to acquire an OA D-Man. Fro the development of both Marrelli and Mews, one plays with Mayich, the other plays with the OA acquisition. As 17 year olds, it would be good for both of them to play with other D-Men with experience. Help them along a bit. Wouldn’t hurt. I know we have some big numbers already back there but if this is a development year, the two that we need moved along are MArrelli and Mews. They will anchor this team next year.
Mayich will give some of that, but I think that this is a solid front 4. I think that yes if an OA D later in the season is avail, then we should look at it if necessary. BUT I think we need to leave that spot open until we see what we have. How are the forwards doing? I think developing the forwards is more important at this stage. Ideally, maybe we get 2 OA centers and let Pinelli go back to the wing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mayich will give some of that, but I think that this is a solid front 4. I think that yes if an OA D later in the season is avail, then we should look at it if necessary. BUT I think we need to leave that spot open until we see what we have. How are the forwards doing? I think developing the forwards is more important at this stage. Ideally, maybe we get 2 OA centers and let Pinelli go back to the wing.

It depends on how you define the word “solid.” I can see a solid top 3. In fact, I think the top 3 are pretty much set in stone right now. There is a very significant gap between #3 and #4 of the defence. It is that gap tht concerns me from a development standpoint.

Look at it this way. If Mews and Marrelli play together, they will form the first pairing. Should 17 year olds for a 1st pairing? Probably not. There isn’t one D-Man paired with Mayich that makes his pair the first pair if Mews and Marrelli are playing together.

Who stands out at #4? Smyth? Ewles? Horner? Sirman? Sirman likely won’t be back for quite some time and didn’t play as a D-Man at all last year. Smyth missed half of last season and was a healthy scratch at times when he was healthy. Ewles likely has the inside track because he is a Righty But does he scream top 4 to you? If Mayich and Mews form the first pair, that means it is Marrelli and Ewles as the 2nd pair? I like Ewles and think he has some promise but is he the guy Marrelli should be leaning on as a D-Man partner? I am not sure that answer is yes.

I would like to see them potentially be open to using an OA spot on a d-Man and split up Marrelli and Mews. OR, alternatively, put that OA with Mayich so they can form the first pairing and then slip Marrelli and Mews to the 2nd pairing. I would feel a lot more comfortable with that.

I am game to let the chips fall where they fall in the first month of so. See if Ewles or Smyth prove to be a bonafide top 4 but we should at least be open to the idea that they aren’t and keep options open as players start to become available.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
KorblerPInelli Uronen
BarlasFoster Dever
HiltonWhitehead Kelly

Yanni

Just spitballing, the Petes have an OA excess, would Ottawa native C Jax Dubois be a fit for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad