Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
It depends on a few factors that haven’t been addressed by the 67’s through clear operational moves. We don’t know if Ottawa is looking to compete a t the top of the conference or look to recoup assets while trying to be respectable. Taht answer will help to determine what types of moves they will make. Goure may cost a little more than they are willing to part with. Lawrence has the body type they seem to be focusing on though. If he can honestly play the centre position on the 3rd line, I could see him being a target. The cost would be minimal compared to Goure and helps address size needs on the 67s. If the 67’s then choose to make a run, they could still acquire another OA Centre and shift Lawrence to the wing if necessary.

So, if Lawrence can truly skate at pace as a centre, then I could see him in that role but I don’t think Lawrence can skate at the pace required for the Ottawa system. He’s likely a fit at wing for Ottawa. That makes him more questionable. But, again, if they are in a holding pattern looking to be respectable then maybe that changes the focus.
Lawrence is a bit of a wildcard in my opinion. He missed the covid season and then only played about four periods of hockey the following year due to a shoulder injury that required surgery. He didn't get fully cleared for contact until September 2022 and I have to imagine it affected his off season training going into last year. He's fully healthy now and has had a normal off season coming into his OA season. He looked great in camp for whatever you can take from that. He does skate fairly well for a big man, not fast by any means but good edges and gets around the ice ok. He's got puck skills and can dominate in the dirty areas with his size. He does have a bit of a mean streak at times that has led to some penalties though he's typically in control. Some of his penalties last year were for "being too big" it seemed like when he made body contact. His 37 points from last season isn't a particularly great indication of the type of player he could be but I don't think anybody is going to pay for an OA on "what he could be". He could be a great value buy for a team that is looking for a relatively cheap OA. He's pretty well liked in the room too.

Reactions: OMG67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ottawa will make moves nearer to the deadline. Someone like Mayich is going to cost picks and will have a higher value then.

Any OA that they pick up early is going to be strict as a fill line possibly 2nd line at best more likely 3rd line center.

The same with Beck or Donoso unless they ask for a trade then they will wait until the value is the highest and they see where the team actually is in the standings.

This is a team that could be a top 3 team in the conference or could turn around and pull a Hamilton and trade to recoup picks satisfied with just making the first round.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa will make moves nearer to the deadline. Someone like Mayich is going to cost picks and will have a higher value then.

Any OA that they pick up early is going to be strict as a fill line possibly 2nd line at best more likely 3rd line center.

The same with Beck or Donoso unless they ask for a trade then they will wait until the value is the highest and they see where the team actually is in the standings.

This is a team that could be a top 3 team in the conference or could turn around and pull a Hamilton and trade to recoup picks satisfied with just making the first round.

The team can sell some players and be savvy adding some players, end up with a net positive for picks and still finish top 3 in the conference. That should be the goal.

I don’t think selling Mayich is part of the plan. I think he is likely an OA candidate unless st Louis offers an NHL deal which I don’t see happening this year. Maybe next summer/fall. I think they will roll the dice on him returning.

In a perfect World, we aren’t on any sort of trade clock. We can wait on the deadline for selloff trades. I’m not entirely sure we have that luxury but if we do, use that time to assess and build value.

I don’t think they will add an OA unless it is the player they want. I don’t think they will acquire a stop gap solution early only to flip the player later. If they add a stop gap solution player, it means that is all they are looking for and won’t be looking for an upgrade later.

It feels like we are in a holding pattern waiting for dominos to start to fall but I think it will be a while before anything happens either way,

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Jack Beck not invited to Carolina's main camp.

Looks like Mayich, Pinelli and Gardiner are going to their respective main camps.

Looks like Beck has a decision to make. I don’t think Carolina will have a minor league camp because they have no AHL affiliate. This means he will likely need to find another NHL team or return to Junior or find an AHL contract with another team as a free agent which isn’t ideal. Even if Carolina does do a minor league camp using their ECHL affiliate host location and staff, he’d still only be looking at a minor league deal. Again, no sense doing that.

Reactions: BarberPole9

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beck really has only one choice and that is to try to be the next Felhbauer or Morrson. Come back to the OHL and how he has the ability to play in the AHL and get a contract.
If that is with Ottawa so be it if it is with another team then that is okay too. I think that his best bet is to return here and be the best he can be so that he ups his abiltiy to go to a contener at the deadline.

As much as this may shock people IA GREE WITH OMG'S ASSESSMENT OF THE TEAM.

Unless someone offers a deal tht they can not refuse I see no one going anywhere until the deadline and then it will be a case of what is best for the future of the team.

Getting into the palyoffs this year is an almost given with this conf. So that is really not a player.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beck really has only one choice and that is to try to be the next Felhbauer or Morrson. Come back to the OHL and how he has the ability to play in the AHL and get a contract.
If that is with Ottawa so be it if it is with another team then that is okay too. I think that his best bet is to return here and be the best he can be so that he ups his abiltiy to go to a contener at the deadline.

As much as this may shock people IA GREE WITH OMG'S ASSESSMENT OF THE TEAM.

Unless someone offers a deal tht they can not refuse I see no one going anywhere until the deadline and then it will be a case of what is best for the future of the team.

Getting into the palyoffs this year is an almost given with this conf. So that is really not a player.

I agree about Beck. I would be shocked if he signed an AHL deal as a 19 year old. He may very well get an invite to the Hurricanes Minor League camp but I don’t know how meaningful that would be considering they don’t have an AHL team. If he didn’t get invited to the NHL camp, it is not like he will get an NHL contract playing out of an ECHL camp. He may get another opportunity to join another NHL team camp but at this point it would be highly unlikely. I’m only trying to highlight options even if they are low chance.

We shall see who ends up in the lineup on Saturday. I’m heading to Ireland on Saturday so I will be following the next two weeks from afar!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree about Beck. I would be shocked if he signed an AHL deal as a 19 year old. He may very well get an invite to the Hurricanes Minor League camp but I don’t know how meaningful that would be considering they don’t have an AHL team. If he didn’t get invited to the NHL camp, it is not like he will get an NHL contract playing out of an ECHL camp. He may get another opportunity to join another NHL team camp but at this point it would be highly unlikely. I’m only trying to highlight options even if they are low chance.

We shall see who ends up in the lineup on Saturday. I’m heading to Ireland on Saturday so I will be following the next two weeks from afar!

its interesting, some pretty decent but not outstanding 03s are moving onto pro camps, even as invites, but beck cant get past the rookie camps?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
its interesting, some pretty decent but not outstanding 03s are moving onto pro camps, even as invites, but beck cant get past the rookie camps?
NHL camps are not only for players that are going to make the NHL but also for players that are the extras for camp and could be good for the ahl team. The challenge for Beck is that as OMG said, they don't have an AHL team and very few openings.

Consider this Ottawa drafts a bunch of players every season and also invites walk-ons for the first couple of days of camp. How many of those walk-ons make the team? Just because they don't make it does it mean they are finished in the OHL?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
NHL camps are not only for players that are going to make the NHL but also for players that are the extras for camp and could be good for the ahl team. The challenge for Beck is that as OMG said, they don't have an AHL team and very few openings.

Consider this Ottawa drafts a bunch of players every season and also invites walk-ons for the first couple of days of camp. How many of those walk-ons make the team? Just because they don't make it does it mean they are finished in the OHL?

The NHL training camps don’t usually include “walk-ons.” There are some on PTO’s but it isn’t commonplace. Those players usually get their opportunity in rookie camp and then if they impress enough, they get the invite to the NHL Camp. Most NHL teams have enough players to consider at the NHL level to keep the camp competitive. The majority of PTO’s in main camp are NHL Veterans or older players with some NHL experience that remain unsigned And looking for an opportunity. Those are the types of players that don’t go to rookie camps.

If Beck had been with another franchise, he may have been reassigned to the AHL camp but since the Hurricanes don’t have the AHL franchise, I am not too sure what they are doing for their minor league camp. I assume the ECHL camp will expand to include a few AHLers but the Hurricanes are loaning their European players back to European clubs. Some North Americans will be loaned out to other AHL clubs that they have made some agreements with. But, generally speaking, they are keeping their contract signings pretty light. I’d be surprised if they maintain as many as 45 NHL Contracts. As of right now, they only have 41 contracts of 50, so 9 contracts open. Most teams have at least 45 used up and even 45 is low.

All this is to say that with Beck being eligible to be parked as an OA in the OHL, I thought he would get more of a look. I assumed he’d get an invite to the main camp and if he impressed enough, he’d potentially get that NHL contract and be reassigned to the OHL. I am surprised, as is OHL4LIFe, that he didn’t get that invite.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The NHL training camps don’t usually include “walk-ons.” There are some on PTO’s but it isn’t commonplace. Those players usually get their opportunity in rookie camp and then if they impress enough, they get the invite to the NHL Camp. Most NHL teams have enough players to consider at the NHL level to keep the camp competitive. The majority of PTO’s in main camp are NHL Veterans or older players with some NHL experience that remain unsigned And looking for an opportunity. Those are the types of players that don’t go to rookie camps.

If Beck had been with another franchise, he may have been reassigned to the AHL camp but since the Hurricanes don’t have the AHL franchise, I am not too sure what they are doing for their minor league camp. I assume the ECHL camp will expand to include a few AHLers but the Hurricanes are loaning their European players back to European clubs. Some North Americans will be loaned out to other AHL clubs that they have made some agreements with. But, generally speaking, they are keeping their contract signings pretty light. I’d be surprised if they maintain as many as 45 NHL Contracts. As of right now, they only have 41 contracts of 50, so 9 contracts open. Most teams have at least 45 used up and even 45 is low.

All this is to say that with Beck being eligible to be parked as an OA in the OHL, I thought he would get more of a look. I assumed he’d get an invite to the main camp and if he impressed enough, he’d potentially get that NHL contract and be reassigned to the OHL. I am surprised, as is OHL4LIFe, that he didn’t get that invite.
Interesting point to consider with this is that only 1 of the 2023 draft picks is going to Canes camp None of the 22 draft picks and only 1 of the 21 draft picks. They have 7 PTO in camp. The Canes already have their opening line up. That is why I was perplexed that he went to their camp. To me it made no sense that you are going to go to a team that has a set lineup of returning players and no AHL affililate to connect with, I have a feeling that Carlina was the only team that would let him skate. Remember he has never played a full season of OHL hockey between covid and injuries.

Just read an article about the Oilers seems Stonehouse had a good camp but is sent back. The writer was surprised that he did not get an invite to camp. I think the answer is easy He is an OHL (non OA) player . There really is not upside to bringing him to camp because he is going back to the OHLH no matter what.

On a different note Noel is part of the oiler camp and could land himself a position on the team depending on how many D they are going to carry. I think he may start in the AHL but he will have a shot I think at being called up as a replacement during the season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting point to consider with this is that only 1 of the 2023 draft picks is going to Canes camp None of the 22 draft picks and only 1 of the 21 draft picks. They have 7 PTO in camp. The Canes already have their opening line up. That is why I was perplexed that he went to their camp. To me it made no sense that you are going to go to a team that has a set lineup of returning players and no AHL affililate to connect with, I have a feeling that Carlina was the only team that would let him skate. Remember he has never played a full season of OHL hockey between covid and injuries.

Just read an article about the Oilers seems Stonehouse had a good camp but is sent back. The writer was surprised that he did not get an invite to camp. I think the answer is easy He is an OHL (non OA) player . There really is not upside to bringing him to camp because he is going back to the OHLH no matter what.

On a different note Noel is part of the oiler camp and could land himself a position on the team depending on how many D they are going to carry. I think he may start in the AHL but he will have a shot I think at being called up as a replacement during the season.

The one viable scenario for Beck and Carolina was as I detailed. The Canes didn’t need to find him a place to play. They can reassign to the OHL. They have loads of available contracts (9). There is nothing stopping them from signing him and reassigning him to Ottawa. Then he starts his pro career next year. This is no different than signing a Euro and loaning him back to the SEL. Same scenario.

So, from Beck’s perspective, should he go to the team with 9 open contracts or one with only 2 or 3? It makes more sense to go to the team with nine open contracts and try to nail one down, play another year in the OHL as an OA, and start his pro career next year. He goes into the season with a signed NHL contract and guidance.

It is unfortunate it didn’t work out that way but like you said, he can pull a Felhaber or Morrison, have a great season as an OA and get his contract after this season.

Stonehouse will get an opportunity without a doubt. The only question is whether a team gives him an NHL contract. I think this season will have an impact for him. He will have a little less support. If he can duplicate the goals scores from last year and maintain e his presence on the ice as an agitator, some team will give him an opportunity to be a Brad Marchand type player for their team.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Jack Matier to milwaukee
Pinelli made it to CBJ camp
Morrison to Coachella with Shane Wright (not even part of the main camp
Gardner made Dalias Camp
Minty made it to camp
Mayich made it to camp
Boucher made it obviously

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Jack Matier to milwaukee
Gardner made Dalias Camp
Minty made it to camp
Mayich made it to camp

The interesting one is Minty. I think he is going to make an impact as an NHL rookie this year. The young defence in Anaheim is crazy good. He has size and skates really well. Handles the puck really well. If he can play mistake free in his own zone, he’s going to get ice.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The one viable scenario for Beck and Carolina was as I detailed. The Canes didn’t need to find him a place to play. They can reassign to the OHL. They have loads of available contracts (9). There is nothing stopping them from signing him and reassigning him to Ottawa. Then he starts his pro career next year. This is no different than signing a Euro and loaning him back to the SEL. Same scenario.

So, from Beck’s perspective, should he go to the team with 9 open contracts or one with only 2 or 3? It makes more sense to go to the team with nine open contracts and try to nail one down, play another year in the OHL as an OA, and start his pro career next year. He goes into the season with a signed NHL contract and guidance.

It is unfortunate it didn’t work out that way but like you said, he can pull a Felhaber or Morrison, have a great season as an OA and get his contract after this season.

Stonehouse will get an opportunity without a doubt. The only question is whether a team gives him an NHL contract. I think this season will have an impact for him. He will have a little less support. If he can duplicate the goals scores from last year and maintain e his presence on the ice as an agitator, some team will give him an opportunity to be a Brad Marchand type player for their team.
I agree they have open contracts but I think he would have had to stand on his head and spit silver dollars to get one. All that aside it is going to be interesting to see how he does and what he does when he comses back.

Will he have a chip on his shoulder that drives him harder?. Will he be wiling to line up with Barlas or Whitehead as his center until the season starts. He is going to have to make up his mind as to what he wants to do. If playing in Ottawa is not the plan then he needs to tell the team right away.

The interesting one is Minty. I think he is going to make an impact as an NHL rookie this year. The young defence in Anaheim is crazy good. He has size and skates really well. Handles the puck really well. If he can play mistake free in his own zone, he’s going to get ice.
LOL the interesting one for me is Morrison and Wright. How many supposed number 1 picks have started in the AHL and not even been invited to camp.

Personally I think Morrison may turn out to be the better center.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree they have open contracts but I think he would have had to stand on his head and spit silver dollars to get one. All that aside it is going to be interesting to see how he does and what he does when he comses back.

Will he have a chip on his shoulder that drives him harder?. Will he be wiling to line up with Barlas or Whitehead as his center until the season starts. He is going to have to make up his mind as to what he wants to do. If playing in Ottawa is not the plan then he needs to tell the team right away.

LOL the interesting one for me is Morrison and Wright. How many supposed number 1 picks have started in the AHL and not even been invited to camp.

If Beck ends up back in Ottawa, he will line up with either Gardiner or Pinelli. He is a front line winger. He will slide in beside whichever is the better fit for his game. That is assuming everyone is back from NHL camps by the beginning of the season.

Wright could very well end up in Seattle at some point this season. He’s had some problems of course but it is not uncommon for top 5 flops. Each of the top 4 picks in the 2012 draft underperformed compared to expectations. We also need to keep in mind that Wright is now only turning 20 In January. It isn’t a bad thing for him to spend a year in the AHL, especially after losing the Covid season and portions of last year with injury. HE is more of a two way centre and they take longer to develop. I wouldn’t be too hard on him at this point. He is behind schedule but that doesn’t mean he won’t turn out to be productive. Morrison has some issues. He is talented though. I wonder if he would benefit from a move to the wing at the Pro level.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Jack Matier to milwaukee
Gardner made Dalias Camp
Minty made it to camp
Mayich made it to camp
Wright will be going to the main camp. You must have missed the part of the press release that said that all the rookies are going to a 2day mini camp before joing the main roster.

Reactions: OMG67

Blasty15

Dec 10, 2022

Barlas or Whitehead? Good thing you don't make the lineup decisions. Saying Beck would return to play with a rookie/un-proven player (yet showed more potential last season) is crazy. As per OMG, it's Pinelli/Gardiner no doubt and it would come down to whoever he would gels best with. My personal take would be Pinelli, more shot-hungry of the two and would have higher-quality scoring opportunities with Beck facilitating.

As for Wright, he is going to main camp... fact check* and unfortunately, it's not really a debate vs. Morrison. As good as Morrison was for Hamilton/Ottawa, he's not in the same ballpark as Wright - I don't think that one needs a thorough explanation.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Barlas or Whitehead? Good thing you don't make the lineup decisions. Saying Beck would return to play with a rookie/un-proven player (yet showed more potential last season) is crazy. As per OMG, it's Pinelli/Gardiner no doubt and it would come down to whoever he would gels best with. My personal take would be Pinelli, more shot-hungry of the two and would have higher-quality scoring opportunities with Beck facilitating.

As for Wright, he is going to main camp... fact check* and unfortunately, it's not really a debate vs. Morrison. As good as Morrison was for Hamilton/Ottawa, he's not in the same ballpark as Wright - I don't think that one needs a thorough explanation.
If he plays this weekend he will have to line up with one of those 2 is my point. I realize that once everyone is back it will change and I would think Garner may see the first line, but you never know.

As to Wright sorry while I think he is a high draft pick and should do well I am not convinced that he is the player for AHL ready, It will be interesting to see how they go.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If he plays this weekend he will have to line up with one of those 2 is my point. I realize that once everyone is back it will change and I would think Garner may see the first line, but you never know.

As to Wright sorry while I think he is a high draft pick and should do well I am not convinced that he is the player for AHL ready, It will be interesting to see how they go.

In fairness to Wright, he is a 2 point per game player at the OHL level. he only had a brief stint last year in the AHL but he was 6 points over 8 games. If he were to play in the AHL this year, I think he’d be over a point per game which is a very high level compared to leading scorers in that league.

I am not sure where he would land in Seattle within their current depth chart. You have to think Gourde, Beniers and Wennberg are all penciled in as centres. Beniers has the inside track to first line and Gourde has had a solid career to date but there is room for Wright to establish himself. I am not sure he is ready this year to make a strong push at the NHL level. At the same time, I am not sure if it is productive for him to play a 4th line role so he may end up in the AHL the first half of the season. That’s sort of how I see it. A half season in the AHL followed by a mid-season call up and he likely remains with the Kraken for the remainder of his career.

Morrison is a bit of a different animal. He needs a full year in the AHL. I am not certain he is a centre as a Pro. I think his path of least resistance is potentially as a winger. However, if he can continue his development, there is a possibility he pushes for a role on the Kraken sometime over the next few seasons.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In fairness to Wright, he is a 2 point per game player at the OHL level. he only had a brief stint last year in the AHL but he was 6 points over 8 games. If he were to play in the AHL this year, I think he’d be over a point per game which is a very high level compared to leading scorers in that league.

I am not sure where he would land in Seattle within their current depth chart. You have to think Gourde, Beniers and Wennberg are all penciled in as centres. Beniers has the inside track to first line and Gourde has had a solid career to date but there is room for Wright to establish himself. I am not sure he is ready this year to make a strong push at the NHL level. At the same time, I am not sure if it is productive for him to play a 4th line role so he may end up in the AHL the first half of the season. That’s sort of how I see it. A half season in the AHL followed by a mid-season call up and he likely remains with the Kraken for the remainder of his career.

Morrison is a bit of a different animal. He needs a full year in the AHL. I am not certain he is a centre as a Pro. I think his path of least resistance is potentially as a winger. However, if he can continue his development, there is a possibility he pushes for a role on the Kraken sometime over the next few seasons.
I think Morrison is most likely a player that can have a long career as a high scoring AHL player with occasional call-ups to the NHL. Players of that ilk can be of great benefit to the NHL team and affiliate; and a good life for the player.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
1695396206003.png

Seams like a fair haul for someone not real excited to be here
No let’s move on a get at it
In Boyd we trust!!

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad