Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
This is by no means official
But it looks like Bahl and Dipietro could be extending thier year with Team Canada
upload_2021-5-12_21-10-8.png

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Would not surprise me to see Quinn on the list soon.

There’s a big difference between more mature players like Dipietro and Bahl vs Jack Quinn.

The NY Rangers didn’t make the playoffs and a guy like Lafreniere is not on that list. Nor is a guy like Byfield who is far greater of a player than Quinn. Jack Quinn is essentially still a junior. I don’t think, even if he weren’t injured, that he’d be participating in a tournament like this.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There’s a big difference between more mature players like Dipietro and Bahl vs Jack Quinn.

The NY Rangers didn’t make the playoffs and a guy like Lafreniere is not on that list. Nor is a guy like Byfield who is far greater of a player than Quinn. Jack Quinn is essentially still a junior. I don’t think, even if he weren’t injured, that he’d be participating in a tournament like this.

I tend to think you are right. I just looked at his stats and think he really got screwed by there not being an OHL season. It Will be interesting to see what they do with him next year could they send him back to play junior for one more year to get experience? Who knows. I think if the NHL gets back to a "normal " season anything can happen.
I think though that NHHL teams will rethink how they do the taxi squad and you may see teams ferry players in and out instead of staying with one set of players.

Clarke put up good numbers this year in Bing so I think he will be there next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I tend to think you are right. I just looked at his stats and think he really got screwed by there not being an OHL season. It Will be interesting to see what they do with him next year could they send him back to play junior for one more year to get experience? Who knows. I think if the NHL gets back to a "normal " season anything can happen.
I think though that NHHL teams will rethink how they do the taxi squad and you may see teams ferry players in and out instead of staying with one set of players.

Clarke put up good numbers this year in Bing so I think he will be there next year.

Quinn has an NHL contract and will play in the AHL. Even if he doesn’t quite fit right and needs more seasoning, they have the ECHL option but I highly doubt they stick a top 10 NHL pick there. They will develop him slowly at the AHL level.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The draft is in less than 2 weeks and hopefully the first sign of a return to normalcy for the O. Thought I'd look at our line up to see what we need next year and in the future.
Robinson-Tolnai-Sirizzotti
Beck-Gaidamack-Moldenhauer
Johnston-Laforme-Stonehouse
Gerrior-Crete-Varga (OA)

Belanger-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Gill-Shane-Sirman
Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

I feel ok with our D for the next two years so no big need there imo. Ditto for goaltenders if Donoso is indeed signed. As Cranley is 19 and drafted he may be AHL bound if he has a good year. So probably need to draft a prospect.
Our forward group is young, unproven and rather underwhelming at present. We need a big jump from Tolnai, Robinson and immediate impact from Gaidamack. Although I did include them I don't see Varga on the team and am not convinced about Crete. Assuming Moldenhauer signs I'm ok with our right wing. Imo we need to add top talent at center and left wing as Robinson is a wildcard and Johnston is better suited as a third line pest/energy guy.I think Beck has upside but he needs help. I included Gerrior as my training camp surprise.

So ideally we pick a skilled center in the first ( although I believe in the BPA strategy in round one). In round two I'd go left wing and possibly another center. I'd target goalie in the third. I could also see them targetting a top center in the import draft which would permit more leeway in terms of BPA on draft day.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Bahl did not make the team Canada line up and it looks like Dipietro is the 3rd goalie/

Sirius I think you are close but I really do not see Tonai and Robinson as first-line players.
I would rather see Johnson laforme and Sirixotti. Johnson and Sirizotti
I also see the 4th line as all rookies drafted this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The draft is in less than 2 weeks and hopefully the first sign of a return to normalcy for the O. Thought I'd look at our line up to see what we need next year and in the future.
Robinson-Tolnai-Sirizzotti
Beck-Gaidamack-Moldenhauer
Johnston-Laforme-Stonehouse
Gerrior-Crete-Varga (OA)

Belanger-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Gill-Shane-Sirman
Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

I feel ok with our D for the next two years so no big need there imo. Ditto for goaltenders if Donoso is indeed signed. As Cranley is 19 and drafted he may be AHL bound if he has a good year. So probably need to draft a prospect.
Our forward group is young, unproven and rather underwhelming at present. We need a big jump from Tolnai, Robinson and immediate impact from Gaidamack. Although I did include them I don't see Varga on the team and am not convinced about Crete. Assuming Moldenhauer signs I'm ok with our right wing. Imo we need to add top talent at center and left wing as Robinson is a wildcard and Johnston is better suited as a third line pest/energy guy.I think Beck has upside but he needs help. I included Gerrior as my training camp surprise.

So ideally we pick a skilled center in the first ( although I believe in the BPA strategy in round one). In round two I'd go left wing and possibly another center. I'd target goalie in the third. I could also see them targetting a top center in the import draft which would permit more leeway in terms of BPA on draft day.

I think in a year where you are not sure what you are drafting, I think drafting more based on positional need is an acceptable approach.

There is zero room for D-men this season. Wings are pretty loaded. We are lacking for centre depth. We are ok with Tolnai, Gaidamak and Laforme but after that we really only have Crete and he's better suited to play on the wing.

I'd prioritize centre depth with the first rounder as well as one of the 2nd rounders.

First priority is getting the last drafted players signed. Also need to see what the deal is with Gaidamak and Simontaival. No official announcements for either.

We should have a sense of what's going on before the draft.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Definitely getting the vibe that Moldenhauer may not be coming to Ottawa. If not, will they trade his rights for some conditional picks and recoup the pick? There's no sense in letting the player move on without getting compensation, IMO.

Here's the promo video for the draft featuring our second and third round picks:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Definitely getting the vibe that Moldenhauer may not be coming to Ottawa. If not, will they trade his rights for some conditional picks and recoup the pick? There's no sense in letting the player move on without getting compensation, IMO.

Here's the promo video for the draft featuring our second and third round picks:

I’m not sure what the rule is this year. Normally, if the player doesn’t sign by a certain date prior to the start of the season, they can declare the player defected. As soon as they do, they get the compensatory 1st. Then they can also work out a trade and trade his rights to another team for additional picks.

This would have happened last season but there was no season. How does that affect players now? Dunno. We may have the ability to hold Moldenhauer through to the defected player deadline this September and then get the compensatory draft pick in next years draft. I would assume THAT is what would happen.

Moldenhauer is a good player but he isn’t a bonafide star player. Saginaw drafted Adam Fantilli 18th. Fantilli was ranked 1st in the draft but has his sights set on the American route. HE is considered a STAR. HE played for the Chicago Steel as a 15 year old and racked up 36 points in 49 games. Moldenhauer got a call up for 6 games when he team was faced with a lot of players out of the lineup and had 2 assists. So, let’s put all of this into perspective. Moldenhauer racked up a lot of points in a low level league last season where players of any significant calibre do not typically play. I’m not trying to dog on Moldenhauer but Prospect Pipeline had him ranked as the #29 player for the OHL draft in their February rankings. If he chooses to defect from the OHL and Ottawa only gets a compensation pick, we’d likely be able to get a similar player with that draft pick.

We also have more than enough depth on the wings this season to fill his vacant roster spot. Some are talking about not bringing back Varga and Crete. Those are two guys that can fill Moldenhauer’s spot. In addition, we have available OA spots and an Import spot or two open...depending on whether they sign either or both of the Imports from last season. If it comes down to it, we will be just fine without him should that come to fruition.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I included Gerrior as my training camp surprise.

Will was slated to play at St Andrews College this past season. His updated stats on Elite Prospects has him listed at 5’10” 168 which is a big jump from his draft day dimensions of 5’7” 130.

HE has a lot of skill but was just so slight that it may have turned a lot of teams off. That said, he may also be set on the American route. IF he is attending St Andrews, it is likely he is prepping for an Ivy League school in the USA on hockey scholarship. At least that would be my guess.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Will was slated to play at St Andrews College this past season. His updated stats on Elite Prospects has him listed at 5’10” 168 which is a big jump from his draft day dimensions of 5’7” 130.

HE has a lot of skill but was just so slight that it may have turned a lot of teams off. That said, he may also be set on the American route. IF he is attending St Andrews, it is likely he is prepping for an Ivy League school in the USA on hockey scholarship. At least that would be my guess.
You might be right but if he comes to training camp and makes the team he might change his mid. A lot of smaller player choose the US route as it buys them time to grow into their body. As you said he seems to have beefed up so he might change his mind. Anyway it'sjust a wild guess of mine.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You might be right but if he comes to training camp and makes the team he might change his mid. A lot of smaller player choose the US route as it buys them time to grow into their body. As you said he seems to have beefed up so he might change his mind. Anyway it'sjust a wild guess of mine.

He put up better stats than his higher rated HEO brethren.

I’m just concerned when a player goes to play at a Prep school at 16. That is usually aa sign he is prepping for a high end school south of the border.

I think he would have to more than make the team. If he is scholastically inclined, you’d think he may require a gold package. The problem is that he has already missed a season of compensation so if he plays in Ottawa, he will get three years unless he plays an OA year.

Three years at U of T or four years at Harvard... pretty easy decision I think.

Of course, I am also guessing that is his plan. I don’t know that.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I’m not sure what the rule is this year. Normally, if the player doesn’t sign by a certain date prior to the start of the season, they can declare the player defected. As soon as they do, they get the compensatory 1st. Then they can also work out a trade and trade his rights to another team for additional picks.

This would have happened last season but there was no season. How does that affect players now? Dunno. We may have the ability to hold Moldenhauer through to the defected player deadline this September and then get the compensatory draft pick in next years draft. I would assume THAT is what would happen.

Moldenhauer is a good player but he isn’t a bonafide star player. Saginaw drafted Adam Fantilli 18th. Fantilli was ranked 1st in the draft but has his sights set on the American route. HE is considered a STAR. HE played for the Chicago Steel as a 15 year old and racked up 36 points in 49 games. Moldenhauer got a call up for 6 games when he team was faced with a lot of players out of the lineup and had 2 assists. So, let’s put all of this into perspective. Moldenhauer racked up a lot of points in a low level league last season where players of any significant calibre do not typically play. I’m not trying to dog on Moldenhauer but Prospect Pipeline had him ranked as the #29 player for the OHL draft in their February rankings. If he chooses to defect from the OHL and Ottawa only gets a compensation pick, we’d likely be able to get a similar player with that draft pick.

We also have more than enough depth on the wings this season to fill his vacant roster spot. Some are talking about not bringing back Varga and Crete. Those are two guys that can fill Moldenhauer’s spot. In addition, we have available OA spots and an Import spot or two open...depending on whether they sign either or both of the Imports from last season. If it comes down to it, we will be just fine without him should that come to fruition.
I do agree Moldenhauer was not considered a star in his draft year and if he doesn't sign hopefully we get some compensation as he is a first rounder. My issue is I see this team as being built around our 03's to contend in 22-23. So We are losing potentially a big piece as Moldenhauer at 18 should be a big contributor at that point. As a first rounder (although not a star) he should be in our top 6 by then.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do agree Moldenhauer was not considered a star in his draft year and if he doesn't sign hopefully we get some compensation as he is a first rounder. My issue is I see this team as being built around our 03's to contend in 22-23. So We are losing potentially a big piece as Moldenhauer at 18 should be a big contributor at that point. As a first rounder (although not a star) he should be in our top 6 by then.

Good point. But, with last year written off, we need this year to see what we actually have.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Moldenhauer would be a definite asset to the team. He played on a top team led the team in the playoffs and scored in the big need times.

When you look at players that are coming into camp few even had any true game-time ice time.

It is going to be based on who he is talking to and what they are promising.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I could see Sudbury moving their second round pick to acquire him as he was a teammate of Musty who they will be taking first overall.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Moldenhauer would be a definite asset to the team. He played on a top team led the team in the playoffs and scored in the big need times.

When you look at players that are coming into camp few even had any true game-time ice time.

It is going to be based on who he is talking to and what they are promising.

He played in a league considered below US Prep school. It is like tier III or tier IV by comparison.

Tier I - USNTDP
Tier II - USHL
Tier III - US Prep school (north east)

It would be like him going back to play another year of Bantam.... Maybe Midget, maybe.

Don't look at his stats and attempt to draw any conclusions. He is playing so far below the OHL level that it is meaningless other than he got time on ice.

His 2 points in 6 games as a sub in the USHL is slightly more meaningfull even though it is a small sample size.

This is not to say he is useless by any means. But, he was picked by Ottawa higher than all mock drafts and rankings. It's not like he was a sleeper or that he dropped to Ottawa's pick unexpectedly. He'll contribute but don't expect him to walk into a top 6 role and excel. At best, he'll compete for a 3rd line role.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
He played in a league considered below US Prep school. It is like tier III or tier IV by comparison.

Tier I - USNTDP
Tier II - USHL

It would be like him going back to play another year of Bantam.... Maybe Midget, maybe.

Don't look at his stats and attempt to draw any conclusions. He is playing so far below the OHL level that it is meaningless other than he got time on ice.

His 2 points in 6 games as a sub in the USHL is slightly more meaningfull even though it is a small sample size.

This is not to say he is useless by any means. But, he was picked by Ottawa higher than all mock drafts and rankings. It's not like he was a sleeper or that he dropped to Ottawa's pick unexpectedly. He'll contribute but don't expect him to walk into a top 6 role and excel. At best, he'll compete for a 3rd line role.

What's everybody's read? By the sounds of things, he will need to be declared "defected" prior to this draft to get the comp pick. It seems to be leaning that way now.

At the end of the day, if they can trade his rights for a comparable return to the below trades (closest slotted first round pick in the last ten years to defect), it would be a home run.

09/11/2015BarrieJacob Tortora
(drafted 19th overall)
KitchenerKIT 15th 2016Pick #20 2016
(Jack McBain)
KIT 2nd 2020*
KIT 2nd 2021*
KIT 2nd 2022*

08/31/2011NiagaraAdam Bateman
(drafted 19th overall)
WindsorGUE 6th 2012Pick #20 2012
(Aaron Haydon)
PBO 2nd 2014
SAR 2nd 2015
WSR 3rd 2015
WSR 3rd 2016
WSR 4th 2016*
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TerryN

May 17, 2016

Tier I - USNTDP
Tier II - USHL

He played on the USA National Champions at U16 for North Jersey Avalanche, possibly the best Youth Hockey program in the USA right now and on par with Shattucks, equivalent to a program like the Marlies IMO. One of his teammates was Quintin Musty projected 1st overall in OHL next week. Based on his production with that team I would expect him to be a pretty good player.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He played on the USA National Champions at U16 for North Jersey Avalanche, possibly the best Youth Hockey program in the USA right now and on par with Shattucks, equivalent to a program like the Marlies IMO. One of his teammates was Quintin Musty projected 1st overall in OHL next week. Based on his production with that team I would expect him to be a pretty good player.

Exactly. He replayed last years Bantam year but as a 16 year old instead of a 15 year old.

The level of competition is nowhere near competitive to the point you can look at statistics and draw any conclusions.

If he had played USHL and scored a half a point per game in a full season, it would have been ten times more impressive than racking up points against opposition that generally wouldn't sniff a spot in the OHL.

He got some ice time in. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad