Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think Boyd will be looking at any offer carefully. There are players that are almost untouchable but there are a lot of players if the price is right.

There are going to be a lot of teams that are going to be looking for D at the deadline. There also may be teams that are looking for backup insurance.

As to Robinson, I am sorry but never understood why they brought him back to camp this year. Unless it was to give them an older body. I think he has had a hard time in the OHL finding a niche. Maybe Cameron has to give him the talk. Everyone now knows who you are you can stop being a mouthpiece.

Personally, I would rather see a rookie come in and play than him.

He is not tradeable that is for sure so the only alternative is to release him or offer him for a late-round pick.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
All this trade talk maybe all for not. The way Covid is trending the whole league may have to shutdown again. Unfortunate for the Pete's who have McTavish they may end up getting nothing for their prize possession.

This is going to be a delicate situation with all of the uncertainty. Do teams want to jump in and trade only to find their will be no playoffs? Risky business.

I do not care what anybody says, the future of sporting events does not look real good right now.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
All this trade talk maybe all for not. The way Covid is trending the whole league may have to shutdown again. Unfortunate for the Pete's who have McTavish they may end up getting nothing for their prize possession.

This is going to be a delicate situation with all of the uncertainty. Do teams want to jump in and trade only to find their will be no playoffs? Risky business.

I do not care what anybody says, the future of sporting events does not look real good right now.
I think there are a couple of options with the trade deadline. The first being push it back a month or two (and subsequently that of the season by a month or so). Another option for teams is to simply trade conditional picks. Eg trade McTavish, but you only get 4 2nds if they play a full playoffs, and only 2 2nds if they plan another game. Otherwise, nothing goes the other way, type of thing. But, yeah, I don’t think you see players like Soto traded anymore. I think it will just be picks for expiring players at the cheapest rates we’ve ever seen.

I think there should be plenty of optimism for the season AT THIS POINT given that it is a mild strain, most adults should have a third vaccine and kids a second vaccine by the end of January, and the fact that they can still extend out and/or cut games from the schedule. I think that it is unlikely we play a full 68, but at this point I’d be surprised if playoffs starting in May or so didn’t happen. Fingers crossed. The kids don’t deserve to lose another season again!!

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I think there are a couple of options with the trade deadline. The first being push it back a month or two (and subsequently that of the season by a month or so). Another option for teams is to simply trade conditional picks. Eg trade McTavish, but you only get 4 2nds if they play a full playoffs, and only 2 2nds if they plan another game. Otherwise, nothing goes the other way, type of thing. But, yeah, I don’t think you see players like Soto traded anymore. I think it will just be picks for expiring players at the cheapest rates we’ve ever seen.

I think there should be plenty of optimism for the season AT THIS POINT given that it is a mild strain, most adults should have a third vaccine and kids a second vaccine by the end of January, and the fact that they can still extend out and/or cut games from the schedule. I think that it is unlikely we play a full 68, but at this point I’d be surprised if playoffs starting in May or so didn’t happen. Fingers crossed. The kids don’t deserve to lose another season again!!
Agreed I don't think the season is in jeapardy for the reasons you mentionned. I do think there will be a temporary shutdown in january to permit the boosters/kids vaccs to catch up but we should be able to get in a full season.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If Belanger nets a solid return, I think you look at it.

Costantini has looked pretty decent with the puck. Better than I anticipated.

If the return on Belanger (plus an additional conditional 2nd for his return next year) is good, I think you seriously have to look at it. Two 2nds and a 3rd is possible depending on the defence market near the deadline when you factor is the conditional 2nd for him returning as an OA. That replaces the picks in 2023 we are missing and gives us some trade capital going forward.

Matier is likely to play the top PP unit with a forward. I see Belanger more likely playing 2nd PP unit. I think Sawyer can play that role next year. Besides, next year will be a good year but it is the first of two or three competitive window seasons so probably not poised to be a championship calibre team. It is the following year that is more likely the pusher team. Sirizzotti, Johnston, Gill-Shane and Sawyer all strong possibilities as OA’s that season. We will have a decent 19 year old group and two 17 year old first rounders (one probably pretty high). The defence will be stacked with vets (three 19 y/o and possibly two OA’s).

The potential return for Belanger would really help that season for draft capital. Hopefully ‘Moldenhauer reports to Sarnia for next season too.
as always OMG you make a good argument. Look if we get a stellar offer for Belanger we need to consider it but picks won't help us much the next two years unless you trade them. I truly think with a few tweaks that we will be contenders next year and I see Belly as a big part. He's yet to hit his stride this year, I expect a much better second half from him.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Another option is we keep both Belly and Costantini which would give us a very deep D for a run next year. Not sure Cranley is worth an OA slot at this point.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
It will not matter what we think, what the reports say or what we hope for if the numbers do not come down drastically. 4177 cases today and it has been predicted that this number could hit 10,000 per day in January. Sure a lot of people will get the booster but this will take some time to implement. Their will still be a lot of people who will not get vaccinated and with Omicron it is very contagious and will be easy for these people to become infected. I believe the government is going to use the number of cases as their main factor and not the severity or lack of in evaluating the situation and then act accordingly. We have already seen some restrictions implemented and I can see more coming if the forecast continues to look bleak.

My hope is that the situation can become controllable and then we can try to return to some normalcy.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Another option is we keep both Belly and Costantini which would give us a very deep D for a run next year. Not sure Cranley is worth an OA slot at this point.

This is an option I thought about as well but discarded because it would likely mean Sirman and Mayich essentially eat popcorn in the stands for another season. I don’t think we can do that, especially if we need them to be part of the core vets the following season. The reality is, if we were to keep Costanini and Belanger, it is likely we’d be making a run and we’d trade guys away since we are short on picks. That would limit our window to just the one season (next).

As much as I would like to keep the top 6, the reality is it isn’t in our best interests long term.

Normally when you consider the trade value of a player, you look at it against that particular player. But, we hav 4th added value of considering Costantini returning in his place. So Costantini and the return for Belanger may be better than just Belanger. That is unless we can get solid value for Costantini this season which is unlikely considering we are a weak team and he doesn’t really have a pedigree to work off of.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Belanger has an added value that Constantini does not. Belanger showed that he is quite capable of playing in the forward position. So going into the playoffs it gives you that added value of a forward that can play both as a defensive position and checking.

Looking at the league I think what we can see is that the teams will be back after New Year and that they will play. It is not like the NHL where most of the seats have fans it is quite easy to block groups or families and isolate them in the arena.

If they postpone the season it will be interesting to see what the NHL does with players like Beck, Matier and Cranley.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Belanger has an added value that Constantini does not. Belanger showed that he is quite capable of playing in the forward position. So going into the playoffs it gives you that added value of a forward that can play both as a defensive position and checking.

Looking at the league I think what we can see is that the teams will be back after New Year and that they will play. It is not like the NHL where most of the seats have fans it is quite easy to block groups or families and isolate them in the arena.

If they postpone the season it will be interesting to see what the NHL does with players like Beck, Matier and Cranley.

Those looking at Belanger aren’t giving the type of return we are looking for because he can play 4th line forward in a pinch. They are paying that value because a contender looks at him filling the 3rd D-Man role in the 2nd pairing. They look at 40-50 points from the back end as a ceiling with an OA year potentially available.

So, as much as versatility is there, most offensive D-Men can play LW. They don’t because their value on the back end as D-Men far outweighs their value as depth wingers.

I don’t know what the strategy is for the OHL but they do have runway to work with. I doubt they play games with no fans again. I think they are likely to delay the schedule and run the season an extra 6 weeks or shorten the regular season schedule if it comes to that. I think heir focus will be on a full playoff and crowning a champion followed by a Memorial Cup.

At this point, I think it is likely there will be a short delay. I think, based on news coverage, this latest health issue will likely come and go quick. Based on current protocols, it is likely those protocols will result in cancelled games anyway…at least until things slow down. Maybe taking January off isn’t a bad thing. The kids get a break and heal up and then make a push through end of May, early June. Then a Memorial Cup.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
My recommendation is to stop talking about Covid outside the HF Board Covid thread. My second recommendation is to not talk Covid on the HF boards Covid thread….
Not to be rude, but to each his own.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I guess we are now in a situation where we can assess the first half of the season and apply that analysis on the predictions for the second half of the season.

I’ve stated that with a healthy lineup and the addition of A Johnston, this team can play at a .550 clip. I also felt that if they were to be able to get to 4th/5th in the conference, that matchup may allow us to get out of the first round.
I see Kingston, North Bay, Hamilton and Barrie as the contenders in the East. I don’t know how Mississauga is doing it but they are right in that pack. Each of those 5 teams are above .600 right now.

If the 67’s come back from the Christmas break healthy and a full lineup and play at a .550 clip, they will finish the season with 67 points and be slightly under .500. If they run at a .600 win%, they finish with 71 points (.530 win%). Currently, out of the teams mentioned in the top 5, North Bay is the weakest from a perspective of win%. They’d old need to come back and be a .450 team, the 67’s would pass them.

I don’t see any of that happening. I don’t see the 67’s passing any of the top 5 teams int he Eastern Conference in the second half. Therefore they are battling with Oshawa for 6th. I think if the 67’s are healthy, they will remain ahead of Peterborough, Niagara and Sudbury. So it is starting to look like 6th or 7th in the Conference. It will be a tough hill to climb for any other result.

So, in light of that, I think anything we suggest they do be to also consider our mathematical chances of a successful year of making the playoffs and winning a round. Unlikely at this point.

So, what should the goal be for the second half?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
So, what should the goal be for the second half?

The goal for this team in the second half is to be the team that no one wants to play. Not because they are so powerful but because they make you play your best and can steal points from you. Even with everyone back I am not sold on us being a top 6 team. I think there are things that have to come together that are too unknown for that. What I would like to see is Cameron develop lines and pairings not for this year but with next year in mind.
I think that if you look at a lot of the power lines that they came through together and developed together. They then get to know each other and can play a tighter game. You also get to know which group is going to be a scoring line and which is better suited to a checking role.

On defence the same thing although it is harder let's put pairings together now that we can use next year.

Ideally, this years lines
Beck Tolnai sirrizotti
T Johnson Gaidamak stonehouse
Gerrior Pinelli Rohrer
Robinson a. Johnson Varga
Gardener Laforme Barlas

While there is no true first line there is also no true 3rd or 4th line but depends on the effectiveness of the lines.
Robinson, Laforme, Varga and A Johnson I do not see back next year. While Robinson can get points he is also a liability at this stage. If either or all of these players could be traded for pics or players it would benefit the team.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Tommy Johnston suspended 2 games for instigating in the final 5 minutes and Chris Barlas (as well as Evan Vierling) suspended 2 games for 2nd fight in the same stoppage, both coming late vs Barrie

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Tommy Johnston suspended 2 games for instigating in the final 5 minutes and Chris Barlas (as well as Evan Vierling) suspended 2 games for 2nd fight in the same stoppage, both coming late vs Barrie

OK I bite what is Johnson's problem with penalties. I will give Barlas the credit that he probably thought he was going to help Johnson BUT neither one is going to scare anyone with their size.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
The goal for this team in the second half is to be the team that no one wants to play. Not because they are so powerful but because they make you play your best and can steal points from you. Even with everyone back I am not sold on us being a top 6 team. I think there are things that have to come together that are too unknown for that. What I would like to see is Cameron develop lines and pairings not for this year but with next year in mind.
I think that if you look at a lot of the power lines that they came through together and developed together. They then get to know each other and can play a tighter game. You also get to know which group is going to be a scoring line and which is better suited to a checking role.

On defence the same thing although it is harder let's put pairings together now that we can use next year.

Beck Tolnai sirrizotti
Gerrior Pinelli Rohrer
Gardener Laforme Barlas

While there is no true first line there is also no true 3rd or 4th line but depends on the effectiveness of the lines.
Robinson, Laforme, Varga and A Johnson I do not see back next year. While Robinson can get points he is also a liability at this stage. If either or all of these players could be traded for pics or players it would benefit the team.
Well Varga and A. Johnston will not be back for sure as they are OAs this year. Robinson could be an OA candidate next season but I think their could be better options available. I would not mind if they move on from Laforme but who knows what the men in charge think.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Beck Tolnai sirrizotti
Gerrior Pinelli Rohrer
Gardener Laforme Barlas

I disagree with the notion that you develop lines for the following year. I do agree that it is possible to do that with one or two lines but to do that up and down the lineup is crazy. Just bonkers. Essentially you’d be putting players in a bad spot for development in situations they aren’t prepared for nor are they experienced enough for. This has resulted in 13 of 15 games where the 67’s have lost. You don’t develop players on a .133 win%. Taking experienced veterans and essentially sitting them in the stands or playing them 4th line minutes is silly.

First, it is more likely they look at pairings as opposed to full lines. Find two guys that work well with each other (Centre & Winger where possible) and work it out from there.

If you were to say we should use this season to determine the status of players doing into next season, I could get on board with that for sure. Give all the younger players ample opportunity to prove they can play competitively at the OHL level. But, you have to make it fair and play them in situations where they are more likely to succeed. We have too many players up front right now that are playing in situations that do not suit their ability and they are failing. It is not fair to the players psyche and not fair to their development.

I feel if you are going to take that line of attack, first start with the players you feel are likely to o play Cntre next year. Obviously Tolnai and Gaidamak. Then Probably Barlas. Possibly Laforme and Pinelli. So, I would keep A Johnston as the 3rd line centre for stability and use him to help develop the younger wingers and build their confidence. Then I would rotate through the other three players (Barlas, Pinelli and Laforme) as the 4th line centre and see how each of them fairs. You have your competition for 3rd line centre next year between the three 4th line centres this year.

Then try to find chemistry on your current top two lines. Because we can confidently say that Tolnai and Gaidamak will be our top two centres, don’t look at it as a line 1 and line 2 situation. Look to see which of the two plays best with your best wingers. Who does Beck play better with? Figure that out and pencil him in beside that centre. Then keep going down the list. Your top 4 wingers with respect to how they play with Tolnai and Gaidamak is where you start. Then filter down a little. Maybe give Barlas a 3rd line centre spot for a couple games against weaker competition and see how he plays with the better wingers etc. But only spot duty in the right situations.

I understand what you are trying to do buy tit is unrealistic to do that. They will get pumped and miss the playoffs almost guaranteed. We need to make the playoffs and at least be competitive to continue developing, regardless of what seed we get. We can’t just get rolled 4-0 with 3-4 goal margins. That serves ZERO purpose at all.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Seems about right and comes as expected.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OK I bite what is Johnson's problem with penalties. I will give Barlas the credit that he probably thought he was going to help Johnson BUT neither one is going to scare anyone with their size.

That’s not how that played out. It was Johnston that jumped in after Barlas took a cross check at the end of the play. It was unnecessary on either side at that point to be doing stupid shit.

I don’t fault either Barlas or Johnston in that situation to be honest. Those are the types of penalties I can live with under those circumstances. They’d ere getting pushed around and need to respond. The problem is they needed to do it much earlier than that. The soul dis missing from his team right now. They need to find it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well Varga and A. Johnston will not be back for sure as they are OAs this year. Robinson could be an OA candidate next season but I think their could be better options available. I would not mind if they move on from Laforme but who knows what the men in charge think.

I think you are right on all counts. I am on the fence with Robinson. If he can find a way to draw penalties instead of take them (like Brady Stonehouse), I think he would be a great OA. I doubt Laforme will return next season. With four picks in the first two rounds next year combined with a lack of roster turnover, there will be a few guys including Laforme that will be in tough to gain a roster spot. He’ll be a 19 year old and I cannot see him playing higher than 4th line with a healthy lineup. I am curious to see how he responds int he 2nd half. I just don’t think his skating is up to par.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Next year we are going to have to find 3 places in the line up for draftees. I will guess that it would be 2 forwards and a D.

Losing Varga and Johnson would mean that most of the returning players will be safe.

The defence we could have some difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad