Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
McTavish has been suspended by the OHL for 3 games and is eligible to return Dec. 17. According to the Pete's GM this has no impact on his ability to participate for Team Canada at the WJHC.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
100% about Stonehouse.
Against the Petes, he drew the penalty, then scored on the ensuing PP!
Watching him in every game, you can see signs that he has gotten under every other team's skin; opposing players are targeting him with retaliation penalties from stuff Stonehouse did earlier in the game or season. Given the schedule and how many times we play each division team, that will continue to pay off as the season goes along.
Smart skilled player, definitely a step ahead of most everyone on being aggressive (verbal and physical) without crossing the line and the maturity to keep his emotions in check as soon as he sees opposing players losing their sh!t.
Stonehouse has a lot of Brady Tkachuk in him, and not just because he kind of looks like him lol.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Can someone tell me why we are never in double-digit shots in the first period?

Boggles my mind seems like they want to sleep.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can someone tell me why we are never in double-digit shots in the first period?

Boggles my mind seems like they want to sleep.

Slip a Gaidamak - Beck - Varga line into that lineup and I think the shots and score would be dramatically different, not to mention adding a Sawyer - Gill-Shane pairing on the back end….

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This team is simply struggling with so many pivotal players out of the lineup. I know Hamilton was missing 8 players and dressed a short lineup but they really only had 2 or 3 pivotal players out and they are a much deeper team to begin with.

Ottawa is missing players that could be considered a first line up front and a second pairing on the back end. We don’t have the experience to continually have those players out and expect to not have games like today.

I have to admit this is starting to get frustrating. I know we have a strong enough team to compete every game but we need a full lineup and we haven’t had that for any games this year. Not one.

I’m also frustrated that the only information we are given regarding Jack Beck is that he is “banged up.” That is horse sh!t. Week to week banged up? He’s been out about 6 weeks now. We should get a little more information than that. We don’t know if he is on the ice practising, is he with the team training or at home resting? It is too fishy to me.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The injury to Beck happened n the 67's training camp seems it was a knee injury. It may be almost anything but I would suggest that he may have had surgery on the knee that they want to keep hush hush. If so then I wouldn't expect him active in games until after xmas

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Regarding injuries, in the Ottawa Sun they said Gaidamak was watching from the stands and Beck is at home in Richmond Hill nursing an injury with long-term complications.

Still nothing substantial from the team concerning these injuries.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
This team is simply struggling with so many pivotal players out of the lineup. I know Hamilton was missing 8 players and dressed a short lineup but they really only had 2 or 3 pivotal players out and they are a much deeper team to begin with.

Ottawa is missing players that could be considered a first line up front and a second pairing on the back end. We don’t have the experience to continually have those players out and expect to not have games like today.

I have to admit this is starting to get frustrating. I know we have a strong enough team to compete every game but we need a full lineup and we haven’t had that for any games this year. Not one.

I’m also frustrated that the only information we are given regarding Jack Beck is that he is “banged up.” That is horse sh!t. Week to week banged up? He’s been out about 6 weeks now. We should get a little more information than that. We don’t know if he is on the ice practising, is he with the team training or at home resting? It is too fishy to me.
Totally agree injuries are killing us and we don't have the experienced depth to cope with it. Hopefully everybody is back after x-mas and we see what we really have. As for Beck it's been a pet peeve of mine for years about the lack of transparency in the O. I get they maybe can't give specifics but at least give it the UB, LB label with a time frame to return. As a season ticket holder it would be nice to know who's playing, heck I think I have a right to know. Not like showing up at the rink friday and realizing after 10 min we're missing Gaidamack, Sawyer and Gill-Shane...kind of bush league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Totally agree injuries are killing us and we don't have the experienced depth to cope with it. Hopefully everybody is back after x-mas and we see what we really have. As for Beck it's been a pet peeve of mine for years about the lack of transparency in the O. I get they maybe can't give specifics but at least give it the UB, LB label with a time frame to return. As a season ticket holder it would be nice to know who's playing, heck I think I have a right to know. Not like showing up at the rink friday and realizing after 10 min we're missing Gaidamack, Sawyer and Gill-Shane...kind of bush league.

I’m not asking for medical records. I’m not even asking for a specific injury. But week to week (banged up) is offside IMO. If the kid is potentially out for the season then so be it. If it is truly week to week (maybe season) with them just waiting for some sort of change in status, ok but then at least give some sort of indication of what is wrong. That sounds more like a concussion…waiting for symptoms to go away and the variable nature of it can be difficult. If it were a knee like Beast says then there’d be surgery and a timetable they’d release like they did for Belanger.

If the team remains short handed and without Beck for potentially the remainder of the season, it’s gonna be a long season with no development other than skating drills while they chase the puck on the oppositions stick. Wind sprints isn’t development.

RCN83

Oct 1, 2019
Agree that the recent stretch has been very challenging between a couple of performances where the team was a no show, being intimidated by Oshawa's older bigger players, to difficulties in net and some of the better players simply not being the better players on a consistent basis. Frustrating still is the fact that often the issues created at each end are not through lack of effort, but simply not doing the smart and/or simple thing. You can't be 5'9" puck carrier on the rush, barely get the blueline and curl back into the back check of a bigger/older players. Turn-overs and give-aways kill - the vets who do this routinely should be sitting. Let the kids give the puck away, they will likely learn from those mistakes. Then throw in a couple lack of effort or lack of discipline penalties and the other team has a goal or two lead and with everyone who is out of the line-up, this team can ill afford to get behind. That is what I think my eyes have seen over the past 2-3 weeks.

I was talking to folks in London this week and the question was raised over whether or not the lineups being put on the ice are void of players who are in COVID protocol and the reluctance to report on that is out of fear of what the province will do in response.

I spoke to Beck at the NB game and asked "how much longer ?" His response was "Hopefully soon." He acknowledged that Calgary is directing his "rehab" (my word not his), but he had no casts, no slings, no limp. I did not ask about the injury, but have heard its a bruised kidney. If its an internal injury like that, not defining the length of time he could be out and the lack of reporting on the specifics is understandable. But completely agree that given the tender ground the season is operating on, not just across the province during the pandemic, but the fact that the 67s continue to struggle with competing for space in the sports pages as well as trying to recapture old fans and attract new ones, more than suggest the need to communicate directly and a bit more fully.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OK so I am bored. It is sunny 30 degrees and quiet here.

Observation This team has always had a bad team in each of the decades. Could this be the team and if so is it really that bad?

Forgetting Byrne's time as GM could speak well of the team if you look at what happened the years following Peter Lee.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Observation This team has always had a bad team in each of the decades. Could this be the team and if so is it really that
Forgetting Byrne's time as GM could speak well of the team if you look at what happened the years following Peter Lee.
No beast it's not a bad team at all, it's an injury ladden team. That being said 30 degrees, I hate you beast...lol!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree that the recent stretch has been very challenging between a couple of performances where the team was a no show, being intimidated by Oshawa's older bigger players, to difficulties in net and some of the better players simply not being the better players on a consistent basis. Frustrating still is the fact that often the issues created at each end are not through lack of effort, but simply not doing the smart and/or simple thing. You can't be 5'9" puck carrier on the rush, barely get the blueline and curl back into the back check of a bigger/older players. Turn-overs and give-aways kill - the vets who do this routinely should be sitting. Let the kids give the puck away, they will likely learn from those mistakes. Then throw in a couple lack of effort or lack of discipline penalties and the other team has a goal or two lead and with everyone who is out of the line-up, this team can ill afford to get behind. That is what I think my eyes have seen over the past 2-3 weeks.

I was talking to folks in London this week and the question was raised over whether or not the lineups being put on the ice are void of players who are in COVID protocol and the reluctance to report on that is out of fear of what the province will do in response.

I spoke to Beck at the NB game and asked "how much longer ?" His response was "Hopefully soon." He acknowledged that Calgary is directing his "rehab" (my word not his), but he had no casts, no slings, no limp. I did not ask about the injury, but have heard its a bruised kidney. If its an internal injury like that, not defining the length of time he could be out and the lack of reporting on the specifics is understandable. But completely agree that given the tender ground the season is operating on, not just across the province during the pandemic, but the fact that the 67s continue to struggle with competing for space in the sports pages as well as trying to recapture old fans and attract new ones, more than suggest the need to communicate directly and a bit more fully.

The bruised kidney seems to fit the narrative well. Thanks for that. Makes sense.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Observation This team has always had a bad team in each of the decades. Could this be the team and if so is it really that bad?

Yeah. Possible. But it is far too early to honestly make that sort of assertion, not that you are other than putting it out there.

The big issue for this team is experience coming into the season. The overwhelming majority of this team are competing in their first full year in the OHL. Some have played parts of seasons but only a few have played an actual full season. That is REALLY hard to pull off even if the other teams are somewhat in the same boat. Then you factor in the injuries to Beck and Belanger (two that had played a full season) and you can see where this team lacks in continuity.

Let’s hope RCN is correct in his assertion that those silly mistakes they make are because they lack experience and not that they just play stupid hockey and don’t learn from mistakes. This is why I think the first half is a learning experience and the second half is where they put their education to the test and break out. Injuries aside of course.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Yeah. Possible. But it is far too early to honestly make that sort of assertion, not that you are other than putting it out there.

The big issue for this team is experience coming into the season. The overwhelming majority of this team are competing in their first full year in the OHL. Some have played parts of seasons but only a few have played an actual full season. That is REALLY hard to pull off even if the other teams are somewhat in the same boat. Then you factor in the injuries to Beck and Belanger (two that had played a full season) and you can see where this team lacks in continuity.

Let’s hope RCN is correct in his assertion that those silly mistakes they make are because they lack experience and not that they just play stupid hockey and don’t learn from mistakes. This is why I think the first half is a learning experience and the second half is where they put their education to the test and break out. Injuries aside of course.

Glad to see you back posting

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Moldenhauer has only played 9 games. 7 of those games I believe were the last 7 on their schedule so it took him a while to actually get in the lineup but he has managed to stay in it for the last three weeks.

That said, he only has 12 shots on goal in those 9 games which suggests he is not getting regular ice time. He hasn’t committed to an American University. I think his lack of playing time compared to what he would get in Sarnia may make a really big difference. I think there is an outside chance if he feels the OHL will remain operating in the 2nd half that he could sign as early as this season coming out of the Christmas break. He sure isn’t getting a lot of exposure in the USHL, that seems certain.

Zookeeper

Sep 15, 2021
Moldenhauer has only played 9 games. 7 of those games I believe were the last 7 on their schedule so it took him a while to actually get in the lineup but he has managed to stay in it for the last three weeks.

That said, he only has 12 shots on goal in those 9 games which suggests he is not getting regular ice time. He hasn’t committed to an American University. I think his lack of playing time compared to what he would get in Sarnia may make a really big difference. I think there is an outside chance if he feels the OHL will remain operating in the 2nd half that he could sign as early as this season coming out of the Christmas break. He sure isn’t getting a lot of exposure in the USHL, that seems certain.
Which would mean we get picks right?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

9 games 6 points plus 2 and a 33 percent shot rate.

I think as the season goes on he will get more ice time to remember he was injured and missed a chunk of playing time.

I think he will stay this year, look at who is left don't eh team and where he will fit in for his draft year as well as see what offers he is getting from the NCAA route.

If he is going to go to Sarnia then the offer, the ice time and the players he is playing with would have to be a given.

Le4t's face it with the injury even if he was here he should not be be getting the same minutes as Stonehouse is getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad