Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It will cost a lot for Thomas

Yup. Makes no sense for Niagara to discuss anything until all avenues of getting a 2019 1st included in a deal is not an option anywhere. For us that means Matier.

Potentially, it could be Robinson or Tolnai as a substitute but you have to think that is the minimum starting point.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Paquette was just acquired by the Petes for a 2nd, two 3rds and 5th.

Paquette is a solid stay at home type big body that can help a little with puck movement. He's an OA.

That means a kid like Wilson, should Ottawa trade him to open an OA spot up front, we should expect something in that ball park. Not quite as much but not something like a 3rd round pick. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd in the right situation.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yup. It wouldn't be reported if it wasn't true. It means they understand they have holes and want to fill them.

The "problem" is Akil Thomas is one of those high value players. That IS NOT a draft pick only trade.

This is one of the reasons why I'd like Ottawa to keep Peric for the time being. He's potentially a body that other teams can count on providing some sort of reasonable oimpact this year as well as next with a strong possibility of an OA year.

If we trade him for picks, that's fine but impact 19 yo players at the deadline are not available for picks (typically).
Agree that Thomas will cost a lot including a player. I wonder if Peric could be that player though as they get two and probably three years from him which would fit with their rebuild. Another factor to consider is Niagara needs picks. Their cupboard is bare ( got some back today) and they lost a first rounder so they need seconds. All I'm saying is they could be open to a mostly picks deal. Also I believe Peric is from the general area if I remember right so could be a fit.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It will cost a lot for Thomas
No argument here, hell of a player! Wonder what the dogs are looking for. They need picks badly especially with losing a first rounder. If they want a 16 y.o. they need to wait until the deadline but the danger in that is a buyers market and you end up selling low...see Owen Sound last year! So do they take a deal now if its decent or wait for more at a risk? Ottawa also might not wait and move to plan B so a big buyer is out of the equation.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
No argument here, hell of a player! Wonder what the dogs are looking for. They need picks badly especially with losing a first rounder. If they want a 16 y.o. they need to wait until the deadline but the danger in that is a buyers market and you end up selling low...see Owen Sound last year! So do they take a deal now if its decent or wait for more at a risk? Ottawa also might not wait and move to plan B so a big buyer is out of the equation.
I say trade him has early has possible.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree that Thomas will cost a lot including a player. I wonder if Peric could be that player though as they get two and probably three years from him which would fit with their rebuild. Another factor to consider is Niagara needs picks. Their cupboard is bare ( got some back today) and they lost a first rounder so they need seconds. All I'm saying is they could be open to a mostly picks deal. Also I believe Peric is from the general area if I remember right so could be a fit.

I doubt Peric would be a centrepiece. He's simply not good enough. I'm not sure how deep Niagara is on the blueline but Costantini has zero chance with Ottawa once everyone is back. He's a possibility as a filler if they need depth on D. Yule is also on the outside looking in as we start to bulk up the Forward group with trades. So we do have some "spare parts" that can be included but at the end of the day, Niagara needs a centrepiece. To me that is one of Matier, Robinson or Tolnai. If they cannot get one of those three, there is no real reason to trade now.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
I doubt Peric would be a centrepiece. He's simply not good enough. I'm not sure how deep Niagara is on the blueline but Costantini has zero chance with Ottawa once everyone is back. He's a possibility as a filler if they need depth on D. Yule is also on the outside looking in as we start to bulk up the Forward group with trades. So we do have some "spare parts" that can be included but at the end of the day, Niagara needs a centrepiece. To me that is one of Matier, Robinson or Tolnai. If they cannot get one of those three, there is no real reason to trade now.
Niagara will have two high end 16yr olds on defence this year in Isaac Enright and Landon Cato. I imagine the Dogs would be after a 17 year old forward and a boatload if picks. Or wait until deadline time where they would hope to pry 1st rounder out of a contender plus picks. Any 18 year old shouldn’t interest the Dogs as it would make no sense for a rebuild timeline.

The Dogs recently named Thomas captain. I don’t see them dealing him before he’s played a game with the C on his chest. The Dogs desperately need to get a teams first round player. They’re short a lot of high end picks, add losing a first round pick for getting caught cheating, it’s imperative they get one.

I would expect Thomas to be dealt at the deadline.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Niagara will have two high end 16yr olds on defence this year in Isaac Enright and Landon Cato. I imagine the Dogs would be after a 17 year old forward and a boatload if picks. Or wait until deadline time where they would hope to pry 1st rounder out of a contender plus picks. Any 18 year old shouldn’t interest the Dogs as it would make no sense for a rebuild timeline.

The Dogs recently named Thomas captain. I don’t see them dealing him before he’s played a game with the C on his chest. The Dogs desperately need to get a teams first round player. They’re short a lot of high end picks, add losing a first round pick for getting caught cheating, it’s imperative they get one.

I would expect Thomas to be dealt at the deadline.

I would agree; however, depending on the quality of the first rounder, don’t expect too many picks. Traditionally, half season players don’t get first rounders plus many picks.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It makes no sense for Niagara to entertain any moves at this point. The smart thing for them would be to wait until at least November to see who is out there and what is available. Sirozzoti could also be part of a deal if they are looking at the future.

For Tolnai to be part of a deal he would need to show that he can play at the level

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It makes no sense for Niagara to entertain any moves at this point. The smart thing for them would be to wait until at least November to see who is out there and what is available. Sirozzoti could also be part of a deal if they are looking at the future.

For Tolnai to be part of a deal he would need to show that he can play at the level
Sirizotti and the other 16 y.o. cannot be dealt this year. Only our first rounder (Matier) can be dealt in a window in early January.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I’m thinking more along the lines of Clarke or Quinn. No point having 3 top-6 right wingers.
I believe Thomas is a center so maybe they move Hoelscher to left wing. So a top 6 of
Keats/Rossi/Clarke
Hoelscher/Thomas/Quinn

Good start! That being said if we end up trading one of the two I'd keep Quinn.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I am legit scared to know what the cost of Thomas would be.

Peric + 2 x 2nds + 3 x 3rds?

OMG- why do you keep throwing Robinson out there as a trade chip? What HS kid would agree to waive his NTC to come to a top team in his draft year and then waive his NTC again a few weeks later? It would likely be atrocious for his draft stock to be moved twice in two months.

Trading either Clarke or Quinn feels like robbing Peter to pay Paul in a go for it year. I can't see the team moving either, as both will be big this year and be MAJOR trade chips next year in the OHL Mem Cup year.

It seems like our D (Peric, Belanger or Matier) are the most likely trade chips, along with possibly Tolnai and Yanic Crete (if he is willing to move his NTC as a french speaking HS kid). Yule is the perfect 4th line player as a tough, hard working program player- not sure what the point of dealing him would be? Would Will Cranley be a trade chip in his draft year to get more games?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't see Clarke in that trade. Quinn has a higher chance of being an OA at this stage considering Clarke scores goals and is drafted. Niagara will want a player for at least 2.5 seasons I would think.

To me the player is Tolnai. He fits a need for Niagara and if Ottawa is going for it, he isn't really needed this year. It would also save a bunch of draft picks if they did include him.

If I were to lay down a be right now, I'd say:

Robinson
Yule
2 x 2nds
2 x 3rds

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am legit scared to know what the cost of Thomas would be.

Peric + 2 x 2nds + 3 x 3rds?

OMG- why do you keep throwing Robinson out there as a trade chip? What HS kid would agree to waive his NTC to come to a top team in his draft year and then waive his NTC again a few weeks later? It would likely be atrocious for his draft stock to be moved twice in two months.

Trading either Clarke or Quinn feels like robbing Peter to pay Paul in a go for it year. I can't see the team moving either, as both will be big this year and be MAJOR trade chips next year in the OHL Mem Cup year.

It seems like our D (Peric, Belanger or Matier) are the most likely trade chips, along with possibly Tolnai and Yanic Crete (if he is willing to move his NTC as a french speaking HS kid). Yule is the perfect 4th line player as a tough, hard working program player- not sure what the point of dealing him would be? Would Will Cranley be a trade chip in his draft year to get more games?

I am looking at this roster based on where it needs to be, not where it is now. We need 3 lines of veterans. Yule won't be that guy in the mix. We then need to give the rookies (Crete, Beck, Sirizzotti, and Johnston) ice to develop. Yule will just get in the way IMO. He's 19. We've seen his ceiling. A 19 year old should not be taking 7 minutes of ice from a promising 16 year old.

We have to look at value based on its face. There are four players that all can be a centrepiece for a trade of the calibre of Akil Thomas:
Matier
Tolnai
Robinson
Belanger

One of those guys pretty much has to go. You know there will be six teams lined up bidding. We can't go in there with Peric (a bottom pair D-man at 18). Peric may very well go in that trade. But if he does, he'll be the 2nd player.

Each of those players needs to waive a no trade. Players do that all the time to move up a depth chart. Niagara gets a lot of exposure. It's not like he'd be going to Sarnia or Kingston.

I'd assume he came to Ottawa to get ice time. If his ice time becomes lessened as we add players, he'll want out if that is his motivation. Who know?

Either way, one or two of those guys will disappear if we chase big fish.

If you want to chase it this year, we all better get our heads around the fact we will lose at least one painful piece.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Assuming we do trade for Thomas indicating a go for it year, the Robinson trade makes little sense. Either the brass liked him so much they couldn't pass or they acquired him to use as a trade chip?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Assuming we do trade for Thomas indicating a go for it year, the Robinson trade makes little sense. Either the brass liked him so much they couldn't pass or they acquired him to use as a trade chip?

One other option is moving highly ranked prospect Colby Ambrosio (Niagara native) as a centrepiece. Look at the Maksimovich (Swankler) and Dipietro (Afanasyev) deals from last year as a precedent.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
One other option is moving highly ranked prospect Colby Ambrosio (Niagara native) as a centrepiece. Look at the Maksimovich (Swankler) and Dipietro (Afanasyev) deals from last year as a precedent.

Fair point but for that to work, they'd have to know he'd sign 100%

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Belanger and Crete plus 4-5 picks works for both teams. I am guessing that Niagara gave out two gold packages this past draft to their two drafted RD so Tolnai may prohibit Niagara from luring a kid leaning towards school in the next couple of drafts? An extra gold package can be valuable as the ice dogs forfeited their 2020 1st pick?

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good point, hadn't thought of that. In the same vein Dylan Peterson could also be an asset. Looks like a first rounder in the NHL draft this year. Could be directed to the O.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I think Belanger and Crete plus 4-5 picks works for both teams. I am guessing that Niagara gave out two gold packages this past draft to their two drafted RD so Tolnai may prohibit Niagara from luring a kid leaning towards school in the next couple of drafts? An extra gold package can be valuable as the ice dogs forfeited their 2020 1st pick?
I'd be very reluctant to trade Belanger ...but you do have to give something. I'd offer Peric, Crete, picks and rights to Ambrosio.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'd be very reluctant to trade Belanger ...but you do have to give something. I'd offer Peric, Crete, picks and rights to Ambrosio.

Niagara probably won’t be trading anything of value for players born ‘99-‘01

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Peric doesn’t make any sense from a Niagara perspective. They don’t need a bottom pair 18 yr old. They have two OA’s on the back end to help develop the two 16 yr olds. They are in the first year of a major rebuild. An 18 yr old doesn’t serve any purpose to them. 17 yr olds and picks or wait until the deadline for a 16 yr old and picks.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Peric doesn’t make any sense from a Niagara perspective. They don’t need a bottom pair 18 yr old. They have two OA’s on the back end to help develop the two 16 yr olds. They are in the first year of a major rebuild. An 18 yr old doesn’t serve any purpose to them. 17 yr olds and picks or wait until the deadline for a 16 yr old and picks.
I do get your point but two things. IMO Peric is not a bottom pairing D. He played there because of our depth. He's been stuck behind Bahl/Hoef/Rippon/Okhotiuk and Wilson. He's at present a top four and imo has the potential to be a top pairing guy as a 19/20 y.o. He also has a decent chance to play an OA year. Now I get that the Dogs are likely looking at 21-22 season to contend so what you do you give Peric plenty of icetime and if he comes back as an OA you likely have a top pairing guy in a contending year. If he plays too well, gets drafted/signed and it looks like he's not back for an OA year you trade him to a contender and get assets for the following year. If he develops well you will get a good return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad