Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Why not? Legally, logistically, or you think the virus will still be too severe in July (my admittedly randomly selected date for when to admit defeat and cancel everything)?

I'm not going to argue i just think its wrong your only a champion when you go throught the right way its only my opinion.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I'm not going to argue i just think its wrong your only a champion when you go throught the right way its only my opinion.

Sorry if I came across as argumentative, wasn't my intention. Just wanted to understand your point of view.

For what it's worth, I agree with you concerning the asterisk the would come to the eventual champion in my scenario. There's just no perfect solution here. Cancel the season, and 3 eventual league champions and one Memorial Cup champion get robbed. Modify the playoff scenario, teams on the outside can claim they were harmed.

Truly no winning, either way. All of this is secondary to saving lives, of course.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Sorry if I came across as argumentative, wasn't my intention. Just wanted to understand your point of view.

For what it's worth, I agree with you concerning the asterisk the would come to the eventual champion in my scenario. There's just no perfect solution here. Cancel the season, and 3 eventual league champions and one Memorial Cup champion get robbed. Modify the playoff scenario, teams on the outside can claim they were harmed.

Truly no winning, either way. All of this is secondary to saving lives, of course.

Its all good it would really suck for all the teams that went all in but i really think tihs virus is a lot more serious then a lot of people think and it will take extreme measures to try to control the outbreak and it will come down that hockey dont really matter unless a miracle and it dissapears this could go on for awhile.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If I had to guess, the remainder of the regular season will be squashed.

If the leagues all shut down and business in general shut down for two weeks, they will monitor the rate of “new cases” and once they feel they are out of the woods, they will assess what time they have left.

If we are being realistic, only the top 4 teams in each conference (generally speaking), have a realistic chance so I can see shortening the playoffs to three rounds if time permits. If they do that, that would get them back operating in 4 weeks essentially losing two weekends of the regular season and a modified playoff that would scrap the first round.

What they will NOT do is play games with no fans. The CHL doesn’t really generate revenue to pay for the expenses. The professional leagues have TV contracts to generate revenue.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If there is a playoff and I doubt it will happen. I think that you will see the first round played as a 2 out of 3 second round out of 5 the rest out of 7.

The comment was made in the states with the NCAA March Madness being cancelled that it screws the kids out of a chance to shine for the NBA teams. I would submit that this will do the same for the CHL kids and the Draft this year as well as players that are OA or in year 2 of their draft year like Hoelscher.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
So the next events will be

the OHL draft

The NHL draft

The EURO draft

Rookie training camp

Training Camp

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My best guess, and of course this is only a guess, would be to see them back playing by about mid-April, going down to four teams per Conference. The first round of the CHL playoffs is generally a snoozefest anyway. Once in a while a Cinderella team wins in round one, but the clock usually strikes midnight for them with a resounding thud in round two. As you can tell, I am an optimist in terms of how this will all go - I think that by early April, if it looks like things are largely under control and the hospitals aren't overwhelmed, there will be a strong desire for a return to normalcy...

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The thing that people do not realize about the pro sports teams and big events is that they are not shutting down because they don't want anyone to get sick. They are shutting down because they do not want to be sued if someone gets the virus at an event.

As I said above the season is done. The only reason that players have not been sent home has nothing to do with hockey. It has everything to do with school and education.

I live in Thailand and here it is hilarious people here are in a panic. The end of this is a long way away and will take at least 6 months to a year. The problem is that if it is like a flu then we do not know if it will come back.

I will tell you in a month if heat makes a difference. We are about to hit the low of 38 high of 40 centigrade season we will see what happens.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The thing that people do not realize about the pro sports teams and big events is that they are not shutting down because they don't want anyone to get sick. They are shutting down because they do not want to be sued if someone gets the virus at an event.

As I said above the season is done. The only reason that players have not been sent home has nothing to do with hockey. It has everything to do with school and education.

I live in Thailand and here it is hilarious people here are in a panic. The end of this is a long way away and will take at least 6 months to a year. The problem is that if it is like a flu then we do not know if it will come back.

I will tell you in a month if heat makes a difference. We are about to hit the low of 38 high of 40 centigrade season we will see what happens.

On TSN1200 they were saying the players have been sent home already, when they announced the suspension.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I guess in hindsight, it is a good thing we didn't make any deadline moves!
Well in our case it would of been 18 or 19 yr olds who would at least be eligible to return next season. We have/had 3 pretty good 20 yr olds for this season.

Whittaker and Moncada probably would have been decent OA candidates for next season.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I'm still bummed by the league cancellation- this was a truly great team to watch. In addition, my family had a lot of interaction with the players and they really were a first class group who will be missed. I especitally feel for Noel Hoefenmayer and Austen Keating- two career long 67's who gave everything to the organization.

Playing devil's advocate for the draft. Would the OHL consider a league wide lottery? In theory, the regular season's purpose is for playoff purposes so without a playoff, what relevance is the standings? In addition, most of the top teams traded future assets to lower ranked teams essentially for nothing, as the additions didn't play a single playoff game. Also, the lower teams likely played younger players than the top teams, so they should be on the same tier or higher next year. Not saying that this is a no brainer, rather that the league should consider all their options.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I'm still bummed by the league cancellation- this was a truly great team to watch. In addition, my family had a lot of interaction with the players and they really were a first class group who will be missed. I especitally feel for Noel Hoefenmayer and Austen Keating- two career long 67's who gave everything to the organization.

Playing devil's advocate for the draft. Would the OHL consider a league wide lottery? In theory, the regular season's purpose is for playoff purposes so without a playoff, what relevance is the standings? In addition, most of the top teams traded future assets to lower ranked teams essentially for nothing, as the additions didn't play a single playoff game. Also, the lower teams likely played younger players than the top teams, so they should be on the same tier or higher next year. Not saying that this is a no brainer, rather that the league should consider all their options.

In terms of the draft the regular season is to balance the bad teams to the good teams, so a lottery wouldn't make sense imo. And even if they did a lottery, as the 1st place team in the league, Ottawa's odds would be like 1/100

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If they cancel the playoffs, no one will be named "champion" by default.

Ottawa would win the regular season league champion though.

Reactions: EvenSteven

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The NHL draft will go old school with a twist. I expect that they will still have the draw for the bottom teams as usual then it will be based on where you finished in the standings.

As to the OHL CHL this will be a year that there will not be an M Cup
Ottawa will be the league regular season Champs.
As to Rossi there really is no reason for him to stay in Canada and I am sure the 67's are looking at saving money and if the players go home they are not a cost to the team.
The season for all sports are over. There is no way you can have a playoff start in May finish in June/July especially considering that a lot of teams share their arena with an NBA team.
The Draft will be held but it will not be the big deal it was it will be run the same as the OHL draft is where teams will phone the NHL head office.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Should the league make the 67s league champions based on most points and such strange ending

No because they were not guaranteed to win the OHL Championship. The Peterborough Petes and London nights had a legitimate chance to win a playoff series against them. Both held winning records against them this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad