Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
No because they were not guaranteed to win the OHL Championship. The Peterborough Petes and London nights had a legitimate chance to win a playoff series against them. Both held winning records against them this season.
Having the most points during the regular season is the only criteria available to justify the league championship. You cannot say oh Peterborough or London should win because they have a winning record against Ottawa during the season.

I think Ottawa should at least be recognized as the regular season champs. I personally could care less if an OHL championship is awarded as it will be tainted and people will never stop complaining of how it would be decided.

Anyways, we have a lot more serious situation in the world these days and that is where my focus will be. No playoffs, no OHL champs well C'est la vie.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
No because they were not guaranteed to win the OHL Championship. The Peterborough Petes and London nights had a legitimate chance to win a playoff series against them. Both held winning records against them this season.

You must still be getting those strange fumes Petes 987. We are not talking about playoff champs we are talking about league regular-season champs and there is no way that the Petes could catch them. London would have to be perfect and the 67s would have had to lose 2 games to the Fronts in the regular season for the knights to even have a chance.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I don’t think you can even recognize a “League Champion” based on the fact OHL teams do not play an identical schedule. Not here to argue East vs West and who is stronger but in reality all the teams have not played equal schedules. Not to mention the cancelled games coming into play as well. One team could argue they have a weaker remaining schedule vs another teams stronger schedule so they were going to win more games etc. All kinds of arguments could exist and quite frankly have value?

Sadly going to have to just place a big ole asterisk and move on for the 2019-2020 season.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I don’t think you can even recognize a “League Champion” based on the fact OHL teams do not play an identical schedule. Not here to argue East vs West and who is stronger but in reality all the teams have not played equal schedules. Not to mention the cancelled games coming into play as well. One team could argue they have a weaker remaining schedule vs another teams stronger schedule so they were going to win more games etc. All kinds of arguments could exist and quite frankly have value?

Sadly going to have to just place a big ole asterisk and move on for the 2019-2020 season.
As I stated earlier their is only 1 concrete criteria that could be used and it is most points right now. This would not be a true indicator of what could of happened in the playoffs so just forget a League Champion. I would not worry about the rest of the regular season as to who has the easier schedule.

I do feel sorry for the OAs for the way they will be departing. All we can do now is prepare for next season which will likely see a new lot of top teams. It is a good job that no team went all in like Guelph did last season, what a disappointment it would of been.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are quite a few options to determine final regular season standings:

1 - current win%
2 - current points
3 - roll back games played to match the team that has played the least number of games and readjust the points standing to match. For example. MIssy has played 61 games. Each team goes back to what points they had after 61 games and that is their final point total.

This is an exercise that needs to be done regardless of naming a champion. The league does need an official end of season standings to satisfy a draft order.

Once the final standings is determined, a league, conference and division champions will be named.

Whatever criteria they use for the team standings will also be used for individual awards that are stats based.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

1 - current win%
2 - current points
3 - roll back games played to match the team that has played the least number of games and readjust the points standing to match. For example. MIssy has played 61 games. Each team goes back to what points they had after 61 games and that is their final point total.

This is an exercise that needs to be done regardless of naming a champion. The league does need an official end of season standings to satisfy a draft order.

Once the final standings is determined, a league, conference and division champions will be named.

Whatever criteria they use for the team standings will also be used for individual awards that are stats based.

#3.

ETafHnhWsAAyYpQ

Ontario Hockey League announces conclusion of 2019-20 regular season – Ontario Hockey League

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

1 - current win%
2 - current points

No matter if any of the above criteria is used Ottawa would still come out as league champions. This is not exactly what we may have wanted, but some unexpected and serious circumstances will be the determining factor for this year. I sincerely believe that we have seen the last of hockey for the 2019-20 season.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
It is a good job that no team went all in like Guelph did last season, what a disappointment it would of been.

Great point can you imagine if this was last year after Guelph had sold the farm! I feel for Flint they have been a bit of a gong show and the first year they can get into the playoffs for their fans this happens! Such is life.....

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Great point can you imagine if this was last year after Guelph had sold the farm! I feel for Flint they have been a bit of a gong show and the first year they can get into the playoffs for their fans this happens! Such is life.....

I agree about Flint. I think that team is the one hit hardest. The Petes are probably the second hardest. Ottawa as well but I truly feel for Flint.

Reactions: Tarantula

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
No matter if any of the above criteria is used Ottawa would still come out as league champions. This is not exactly what we may have wanted, but some unexpected and serious circumstances will be the determining factor for this year. I sincerely believe that we have seen the last of hockey for the 2019-20 season.

Utter hyperbole. The most the 67's can lay claim to AT THIS POINT IN TIME is the Hamilton Spectator Trophy for most points in the regular season and claiming the Est Division Title. No matter how much you wish it, a League Championship has not been won. If the playoffs resume this year and the 67's win all series, then you can crow all you want. If there is no more hockey this year, there can be no League Championship awarded. As good as Ottawa has been this year, you are only writing points on an imaginary chalkboard.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Utter hyperbole. The most the 67's can lay claim to AT THIS POINT IN TIME is the Hamilton Spectator Trophy for most points in the regular season and claiming the Est Division Title. No matter how much you wish it, a League Championship has not been won. If the playoffs resume this year and the 67's win all series, then you can crow all you want. If there is no more hockey this year, there can be no League Championship awarded. As good as Ottawa has been this year, you are only writing points on an imaginary chalkboard.
Sorry, regular season champs and this cannot be disputed. No league champions, it sucks for all playoff bound teams. I was not crowing and did your feathers get ruffled.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree about Flint. I think that team is the one hit hardest. The Petes are probably the second hardest. Ottawa as well but I truly feel for Flint.

I’d say the Petes, Rangers, & Saginaw would be the hardest hit by a cancellation of the playoffs. At least Saginaw can expect Perfetti and Suzuki back. Flint imo, is in real good shape for next season having 7 high picked 2001 born and among the best OA groups returning.

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
Sorry, regular season champs and this cannot be disputed. No league champions, it sucks for all playoff bound teams. I was not crowing and did your feathers get ruffled.

Ruffled feathers? Admittedly a little, but as my avatar shows I'm always bit ruffled. Just have issues with inaccuracy/ommission/hyperbole.

67's are a top notch squad. If playoffs happen I would look forward to our teams playing in the final.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At least Saginaw can expect Perfetti and Suzuki back.

I don't think it's a lock that Perfetti is back. He may well be, but his NHL team will probably give him the nine game trial run just for development purposes. If he ends up killing it, they may just keep him and give him sheltered minutes as opposed to sending him back. (All of the above applies equally to Rossi.) Players can pick up some bad habits playing huge minutes against inferior competition, which would certainly be the case if players like Rossi and Perfetti were back in the OHL next year...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think it's a lock that Perfetti is back. He may well be, but his NHL team will probably give him the nine game trial run just for development purposes. If he ends up killing it, they may just keep him and give him sheltered minutes as opposed to sending him back. (All of the above applies equally to Rossi.) Players can pick up some bad habits playing huge minutes against inferior competition, which would certainly be the case if players like Rossi and Perfetti were back in the OHL next year...

I truely don't see many players making the jump next year. Lafreniere and maybe Rossi. Outside those two, I doubt any CHL players make the jump.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Ruffled feathers? Admittedly a little, but as my avatar shows I'm always bit ruffled. Just have issues with inaccuracy/ommission/hyperbole.

67's are a top notch squad. If playoffs happen I would look forward to our teams playing in the final.
I am sure you have had instances of inaccuracy/omission/hyperbole unless you are perfect which I highly doubt. Ottawa/London would be a great final, but teams like the Petes, Storm, etc. would like otherwise.

Well time to move on and see what the future brings.

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
I am sure you have had instances of inaccuracy/omission/hyperbole unless you are perfect which I highly doubt. Ottawa/London would be a great final, but teams like the Petes, Storm, etc. would like otherwise.

Well time to move on and see what the future brings.

Since I initiated the fracas it is appropriate you get the parting shot in. Have a safe, healthy and productive summer.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the NHL draft Ottawa may not get a shot at Lafreniere. If they get Rossi do you think they would draft Quinn with the 21st pic if he is available?

They would then be able to have 2 players of high caliber that could make 2/3 of a line.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looking at the NHL draft Ottawa may not get a shot at Lafreniere. If they get Rossi do you think they would draft Quinn with the 21st pic if he is available?

They would then be able to have 2 players of high caliber that could make 2/3 of a line.

Ottawa will have a draft board and will rank the top 20+ players to get them through their top 3 picks in the first round.

They will cross names off as they get picked and will pick the next name on their list.

That is how this works. They could give two shits about what team the players played for. That went into the ranking. They will not go outside their ranking.

So, if it is their pick and Rossi is the top player on their list, they will take hm. Same for Quinn. They will not leapfrog players on their list.

We will know what the draft slots they have after the lottery.

What we are reasonably certain of is Lafreniere will go first and Byfield will go second. After that? Teams will have a different ranking based on the criteria they use to rank their prospects.

Ottawa would be stupid to take players outside fo their ranking list for sentimental reasons.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
It was a heck of a season and it’s a real bummer that there will be no playoffs this year so let’s declare ourselves as OHL champions and call it a day ;)

Thanks to all the players and coaches, it really was a treat watching this team go 50-11-1. One for the ages.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad