Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Sirius the only person this should be a wakeup call to is Mike DiPietro.

When you have a guy that is supposed to be a star he has to act like a star.

If he does not step up this team is going to lose confidence in him

When you play the worst team in the league you start your back up goalie and right now that is what he is looking at being a back up to Andree and not someone that you can trust in the playoffs.

Ottawa 67'sOHL110263230112.859202420.890
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The 890 has him 26th in the league in save percentage.
Beast I can't dispute the numbers and yes he's been a bit off. But no offense meant but I think you're overreacting. His body of work speaks for itself and I don't believe all of a sudden he's lost it. He's had a whirlwind year...4 teams, leaving his hometown, getting put in a bad spot by the canucks etc... Yes the last two games he's given up 6 goals on what 18 shots or so. But of the five goals I saw (missed the second goal tonight) only one was maybe weak. Its also hard for a goalie to face 10 shots a game. Anyway I'm not worried, rather he has a bit of a dip now than in a month..just my opinion.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Beast I can't dispute the numbers and yes he's been a bit off. But no offense meant but I think you're overreacting. His body of work speaks for itself and I don't believe all of a sudden he's lost it. He's had a whirlwind year...4 teams, leaving his hometown, getting put in a bad spot by the canucks etc... Yes the last two games he's given up 6 goals on what 18 shots or so. But of the five goals I saw (missed the second goal tonight) only one was maybe weak. Its also hard for a goalie to face 10 shots a game. Anyway I'm not worried, rather he has a bit of a dip now than in a month..just my opinion.

He's never won a playoff series in his OHL career

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Sirius the good news for us is that we are not dependent on him as our starting goalie. If we were I would be very worried. The stat I gave was since he has been here and include all the games he has played.

i have heard the line about goalies need work but that is crap. Goalies need to be able to understand their role with the team. Ottawa in its history has made some pretty weak goalies look really good. Players have to have confidence that the guy between the pipes will be able to get them the win if they do everything right. Keeping a team down to 9 shots INNHO is a defence doing what it is supposed to do. The goalies have to have a better record.

It was my understanding that he was supposed to be the go-to guy and that Andree would have to take a back seat. Right now all I see is Andree playing most of the games and those that he does not if we do not score a bunch of goals our goaltender loses for us.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Beast you made a couple valid points but you totally off base with this game.
You can tout you have great D that keeps teams below 20 a game but it was your D that cost you the game tonight.
1st goal - PP with double screen and D lets guy hang out in front of net.
2nd goal - PP neither D are covering anybody, they may as well not be on the ice; they let a guy stand in front the whole time.
3rd goal - 2 on 1 Depeitro read it wrong but for you guys who read stat lines and think you know goaltending; golden rule for a 2 on 1 - goalie's sole responsibility is the shooter. D have been taught from novice on up their responsibility is pressure the shooter somewhat but at all costs take the pass away. It is a little more complex than that but for the sake of easy understanding we'll leave it at that.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am not worried in the least. We have a month to get DiPietro comfortable. If he doesn’t get comfortable, we play Andree, Very simple.

What we cannot do is play Andree now and leave DiPi out to dry. It defeats the purpose of having the two of them. If Andree craps the bed into playoffs, we need DiPi to be able to step in. IF he isn’t in a good spot, it won’t be fun to watch.

In the end, we shouldn’t care about winning the regular season, We need to win the post season.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Sirius the good news for us is that we are not dependent on him as our starting goalie. If we were I would be very worried. The stat I gave was since he has been here and include all the games he has played.

i have heard the line about goalies need work but that is crap. Goalies need to be able to understand their role with the team. Ottawa in its history has made some pretty weak goalies look really good. Players have to have confidence that the guy between the pipes will be able to get them the win if they do everything right. Keeping a team down to 9 shots INNHO is a defence doing what it is supposed to do. The goalies have to have a better record.

It was my understanding that he was supposed to be the go-to guy and that Andree would have to take a back seat. Right now all I see is Andree playing most of the games and those that he does not if we do not score a bunch of goals our goaltender loses for us.
One thing we can agree on is Andree. We are indeed very lucky to have him. The revelation of the year for sure. Didn't see that one coming.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I personally do not think that Dipietro has ever gotten over Team Canada's quarter final defeat. I think it could possibly be a lack of confidence, personal issues, family-related issues but something is definitely bothering him. It maybe that he is having a hard time adjusting to a new environment when he always played in his home town.

The game he played against Gatineau he looked really good but since then it has really gone downward. The Vancouver experience did not do a thing to boost his confidence when he was put in a almost impossible win situation.

I agree we have to keep playing him to try and turn this around before the playoffs. I also see that he has not gotten a lot of help from the defense as stated by OMG.

Curently he is just not making any key saves and I hope he can turn it around. I still think it was a move that had to be made by James Boyd unfortunately it has not been a positive so far.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Of all the things potentially rattling around in DiPietro's head, and there are likely many, consider this: He's never played behind teams that outshoot their opposition 51-11 and 39-13, like the past two games. Never. That takes some serious adjustment. And it's not that the defense that's playing particularly well (they're not bad either!), the 67's can now roll out 4 lines that can hem a team in their own end for up to a minute (then regroup in the neutral zone and do it again and again). There were points in the last 2 games when it appeared the Zamboni would only have to resurface one end.

The problem is the quality of shots. As Intentionally pointed out, Hoefenmayer is neither fronting or pushing the Kingston screener. He's standing beside him. In Mikey's defense, he didn't see the shot at all, and Beraldo (who Peterborough curiously gave up on) put it in a coffee cup. On Beraldo's 2nd goal he had a 3 or 4 step walk-in before he shot and that should never happen. Mikey did have a clear view and it just beat him. Both PPs were on Marco Rossi penalties and his 3rd penalty negated a full 2 min PP opportunity so discipline continues to be a bit of an issue (also it was the 2nd game in a row where Kody Clark was stapled to the bench for an entire period -- no doubt a discipline issue). Speaking of Clark, on the GWG he flies from blueline to blueline to get back to help and then lets up and glides toward the scorer, never actually engaging.

Having said all that, bleh. It was a meaningless game points wise for Ottawa. Let's hope the teachable moments are taught. Ottawa needs to take fewer penalties. That's been an ongoing concern. They need to either box out or front the net presence on the PK (so Mikey is looking through/around 2 guys 'stacked up', not 2 guys side by side). Finally, I believe the team in front of Mikey need to get past the attitude of, 'no worries, Mikey's got this', to 'OK we've allowed only 2 shots in 15 min this period so Mikey might be cold and we'd better crank up the focus defensively'.

Add to that the typical tactic of a good team playing a much poorer one: Overpassing to make the TSN highlight reel then, when that fails, trying to do it all on your own (1-on-3s, 1-on-4s and end-to-end rushes). This rarely, if ever, works as we all know.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree the defense has to be clearing the front of the net. We have the size I think it might just be the attitude that Andree stops them so he should also. I am not sure but at this stage, whether it is his play or the way the team plays in front of him and Andree Andree is the definite Number 1 on this team. Nothing against Dip but that is the way it looks.

I still think though that having a 1-2 like ours is going to serve us well in the playoffs and hopefully further.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I don't agree with the two points being meaningless as the overall leader gets home ice advantage and this can be important in the long run. London is still well within striking distance and we will need every advantage should we happen to meet them in the finals.

On another note I do believe that the defense boxes out well when Andree is playing and lets him see most shots. Mikey on the other hand is left with no clear view and a lot of odd man rushes.

I know Mikey has not played up to expectations but I believe the team is too dependent on him. He looked pretty good with Team Canada and I can't believe this is all on him.

For all 67s supporters I hope everything turns out as expected and we have a long playoff run. The main obstacle is that their are no guarantees and the outcome will be determined by compete level, desire, plus talent which I believe they have but a 100% committment is required.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Analyser you make a good point. Every point has meaning until home-ice through the playoffs is clinched.

Ottawa now has a 6-point cushion over London and 10 over SSM (they both have a game in hand). The 14-point cushion in the East over Oshawa/Niagara technically doesn't clinch home-ice but with 9 games remaining, Ottawa should only need 3 wins to do that.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
He's going to wear it underneath his Knights jersey. Then during the Finals in London against the 67's, when the kiss cam is on him and his significant other, he will stand up, rip off his Knights Jersey and do a muscle pose with his 67's Playoff shirt on!

That's how I see it happening.
So, that’s your prediction then, 67’s over the Knights in Six games?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's all a fun joke anyway.

It would be great to see a London v Ottawa final. Saginaw looks pretty good right now. Guelph is humming along pretty good too. SSM is lurking in the bushes. It will be a good round 2 and 3 in the West.

In the East, we'll have a good round 2 and 3 as well. All of Niagara, Oshawa and Sudbury are playing well.

No one is really running away with things. Ottawa has pretty much wrapped up the Conference but still have a lot of work to do to clinch home ice for the entire playoffs.

It will be a pretty fun playoff with no real dominant team out there.

Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad