Ottawa 67's 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Awe the good old days. Yes Earl and Howard (mostly Earl) would hardy spend a dime on promotion. Simply just the front doors and watch em walk in. I remember those pity crowds on the late 90's (ironic cause the Earl 67's were simply dominant I that era)

As someone that was around in the Earl years at the end I can say that yes Dougie was running around ike a crazy man trying to make a dollar look like 100. However, the 67's had other people doing marketing and promotion on their own

Who do you think created Riley, got a costume made and found sponsorship for him. How many players did you see driving to outer areas to minor league hockey games to promote the team? In the end even Killer had to admit that Riley was more of a draw than the players when he asked a little kid who his favorite layer was and the kid said RILEY and that was when they had Macauley Boynton et al.

The other group was the booster club with Dick and Stephanie Creamer. Man they talked to more businesses and got more stuff than you could shake a stick at. Remember the dinners with the players the booster club prizes.

The crowds then were a little screwed up because of the Sens showing up on the scene and Ottawa not having what you would call a great playoff record LOL

Hunt has to retool back to what he did in the beginning. Pull out all the stops make it a happening. Tie football and hockey together. Try to set up a foot ball game in the fall that would coincide with the 67's and have free admission if you have a ticket to the football game.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hunt has to retool back to what he did in the beginning. Pull out all the stops make it a happening. Tie football and hockey together. Try to set up a foot ball game in the fall that would coincide with the 67's and have free admission if you have a ticket to the football game.

As you mention, there are a great many things that can be done. That being said, the landscape in Ottawa has dramatically changed since 1995 too.

I won't get into the socio-political changes that have and will continue to impact the Ottawa 67's. So let's put that aside.

The most compelling impact on the 67's and their profile is the fact that the 67's are a small component of the new OSEG portfolio. They are a conflict to other assets in that portfolio.

1> Upon the return to Lansdowne, the private boxes were condemned. So after a two year absence to allow for onsite construction because of "Friends of Lansdowne" legal delays, we return to an inferior rink from which we left.
2> When the 67's returned, the fans did not support the other outlets. They were simply "in and out" customers. Conversely, whenever there were other events including concerts, Soccer, and Football, the other events would generate a significant increase in business for the other outlets. IT created complaints on behalf of the other outlets as the "selling point" for that location was that it was event based. Now they have an event that gobbles up a lot of parking and has virtually no positive impact.
3> Lack of parking and lack of alternate options. While the Red Blacks had multiple shuttle locations from which to park for free and hop on a shuttle to the game, the 67's had nothing for the first two years. It was fight for parking which you couldn't get without a pass (for the most part), or find on street parking around the park, or OC transport or walk? This made it very inconvenient for most.
4> When the crowds didn't come back, they started to extend offers to family and kid based promotion. This creates a one off situation where tickets need to continue to be sold game by game which is difficult and you need to reach out to an infinitely larger pool of people to fill seats.
5> The new promotions continued to further the conflict between the other retails nd restaurant outlets and the 67's because people with kids aren't going to take them to the restaurants and bars in the Lansdowne Complex. They are going to feed them pizza and hot dogs at the game or nothing at all.
6> The resulting spiral effect of the above made the organization decide to switch their game days to lessen the negative impact on the other outlets and further make it easier for families and kids to attend games. So, the Friday nights were virtually eliminated and they went to Saturday and Sunday afternoons. There would be more parking spaces available and would create les sof a conflict for late nights.

The result of all these factors have eliminated the market for the 67's with respect to adults with disposable income. Those people, like me, do not want to hang out at Cosmic Adventures to watch a hockey game. There is no additional value for us other than the actual hockey game. They did start a shuttle from Carleton but the window for that shuttle doesnt' allow time for dinner before or after a game which furthers the divide between the 67's and the other outlets.

No one with the ability to generate a cross marketing campaign for the 67's and the other outlets and sports properties works with OSEG. Clearly they don't pay well otherwise someone with an actual experienced brain in their head would have figured out the proper product mix and would have done the requisite Environmental Scan to determine what would be that proper target market for the 67's. Unfortunately, they don't employ that type of person OR they only care about the Red Black and all efforts are geared toward that team. I'm not sure which one of those two it is but there doesnt' seem to be a third option to present so I will go with one of those two for mow until someone else presents a third deficiency.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Let's not compare crowds. Mississauga had almost as many fans on Friday night as Ottawa had Tuesday AND Thursday. I'm not joking.

I was more or less referring to "atmosphere". A gift that has never been bestowed upon the faithful attending at the Hersey Centre. Makes Barrie Molson Centre look like MSG.

Yes 67's actual bodies in the stands is pitiful and is a representation of the state of junior hockey in Ottawa.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I was more or less referring to "atmosphere". A gift that has never been bestowed upon the faithful attending at the Hersey Centre. Makes Barrie Molson Centre look like MSG.

Yes 67's actual bodies in the stands is pitiful and is a representation of the state of junior hockey in Ottawa.

I find Ottawa right or wrong is held to higher standards then any other market Mississauga can have 1000 and people say that's great for them if Ottawa does not get over 7000 there doing awful.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
As someone that was around in the Earl years at the end I can say that yes Dougie was running around ike a crazy man trying to make a dollar look like 100. However, the 67's had other people doing marketing and promotion on their own

Who do you think created Riley, got a costume made and found sponsorship for him. How many players did you see driving to outer areas to minor league hockey games to promote the team? In the end even Killer had to admit that Riley was more of a draw than the players when he asked a little kid who his favorite layer was and the kid said RILEY and that was when they had Macauley Boynton et al.

The other group was the booster club with Dick and Stephanie Creamer. Man they talked to more businesses and got more stuff than you could shake a stick at. Remember the dinners with the players the booster club prizes.

The crowds then were a little screwed up because of the Sens showing up on the scene and Ottawa not having what you would call a great playoff record LOL

Didn't someone whose name I won't mention but starts with a "J" and ends with an "H" force Dick out? He had this resentment to this whole I idea of having a successful Booster Club and made things difficult for the group. I only know this cause I was privy to a lot of info while I was a card carrying member back in the day. Even before Dick's club there was Booster club but not nearly as popular as the former. I do remember that trip back in '88 to Oshawa for game 6 of the playoffs. Scraped up my last $40 to ride the fan bus!! lol We were down 3-0 to the Generals and needed to win that game to force a 7th game back home. We won 7-2 and the rest was history!

Yes I do remember you as the original Riley. I think my youngest niece even had a Riley Doll in the late 90's if I remember correctly?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
As you mention, there are a great many things that can be done. That being said, the landscape in Ottawa has dramatically changed since 1995 too.

I won't get into the socio-political changes that have and will continue to impact the Ottawa 67's. So let's put that aside.

The most compelling impact on the 67's and their profile is the fact that the 67's are a small component of the new OSEG portfolio. They are a conflict to other assets in that portfolio.

1> Upon the return to Lansdowne, the private boxes were condemned. So after a two year absence to allow for onsite construction because of "Friends of Lansdowne" legal delays, we return to an inferior rink from which we left.
2> When the 67's returned, the fans did not support the other outlets. They were simply "in and out" customers. Conversely, whenever there were other events including concerts, Soccer, and Football, the other events would generate a significant increase in business for the other outlets. IT created complaints on behalf of the other outlets as the "selling point" for that location was that it was event based. Now they have an event that gobbles up a lot of parking and has virtually no positive impact.
3> Lack of parking and lack of alternate options. While the Red Blacks had multiple shuttle locations from which to park for free and hop on a shuttle to the game, the 67's had nothing for the first two years. It was fight for parking which you couldn't get without a pass (for the most part), or find on street parking around the park, or OC transport or walk? This made it very inconvenient for most.
4> When the crowds didn't come back, they started to extend offers to family and kid based promotion. This creates a one off situation where tickets need to continue to be sold game by game which is difficult and you need to reach out to an infinitely larger pool of people to fill seats.
5> The new promotions continued to further the conflict between the other retails nd restaurant outlets and the 67's because people with kids aren't going to take them to the restaurants and bars in the Lansdowne Complex. They are going to feed them pizza and hot dogs at the game or nothing at all.
6> The resulting spiral effect of the above made the organization decide to switch their game days to lessen the negative impact on the other outlets and further make it easier for families and kids to attend games. So, the Friday nights were virtually eliminated and they went to Saturday and Sunday afternoons. There would be more parking spaces available and would create les sof a conflict for late nights.

The result of all these factors have eliminated the market for the 67's with respect to adults with disposable income. Those people, like me, do not want to hang out at Cosmic Adventures to watch a hockey game. There is no additional value for us other than the actual hockey game. They did start a shuttle from Carleton but the window for that shuttle doesnt' allow time for dinner before or after a game which furthers the divide between the 67's and the other outlets.

No one with the ability to generate a cross marketing campaign for the 67's and the other outlets and sports properties works with OSEG. Clearly they don't pay well otherwise someone with an actual experienced brain in their head would have figured out the proper product mix and would have done the requisite Environmental Scan to determine what would be that proper target market for the 67's. Unfortunately, they don't employ that type of person OR they only care about the Red Black and all efforts are geared toward that team. I'm not sure which one of those two it is but there doesnt' seem to be a third option to present so I will go with one of those two for mow until someone else presents a third deficiency.

What I am reading into all of this is that parking, accessibility and scheduling is the key element here? It's quite obvious there are roadblocks in place to make things difficult at the TDP. Perhaps your idea of money bags buying the team and relocating them to Kanata might work. Maybe work up a deal on cheap parking costs and perhaps sync them in with the Sens so that the games could be sold as doubleheader promos on a Saturday? What's ironic is that the team actually drew way better numbers at the CTC even though East Enders *****ed the entire time about traffic problems and ****. Man you people up there have it so easy when it comes to traffic. I can still navigate around the back roads of Ottawa and get to my destination in time and had no worries. Good luck doing that here in the GTA! It's such a chore going anywhere here!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Didn't someone whose name I won't mention but starts with a "J" and ends with an "H" force Dick out? He had this resentment to this whole I idea of having a successful Booster Club and made things difficult for the group. I only know this cause I was privy to a lot of info while I was a card carrying member back in the day. Even before Dick's club there was Booster club but not nearly as popular as the former. I do remember that trip back in '88 to Oshawa for game 6 of the playoffs. Scraped up my last $40 to ride the fan bus!! lol We were down 3-0 to the Generals and needed to win that game to force a 7th game back home. We won 7-2 and the rest was history!

Yes I do remember you as the original Riley. I think my youngest niece even had a Riley Doll in the late 90's if I remember correctly?

Jeff encouraged and offered loads of support for the Booster Club. Earl was an ******* and made things difficult at every turn. Dick and Stephanie were gone the summer Jeff bought the team.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well off to the game. Need another big one from Leo as we are not the better team here. Go 67's go!!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What I am reading into all of this is that parking, accessibility and scheduling is the key element here? It's quite obvious there are roadblocks in place to make things difficult at the TDP. Perhaps your idea of money bags buying the team and relocating them to Kanata might work. Maybe work up a deal on cheap parking costs and perhaps sync them in with the Sens so that the games could be sold as doubleheader promos on a Saturday? What's ironic is that the team actually drew way better numbers at the CTC even though East Enders *****ed the entire time about traffic problems and ****. Man you people up there have it so easy when it comes to traffic. I can still navigate around the back roads of Ottawa and get to my destination in time and had no worries. Good luck doing that here in the GTA! It's such a chore going anywhere here!

The Sens don't have an issue with drawing a full house (except when the team is crap) and those types of complaints about driving to Kanata are so old now. I don't know anyone that whines about it anymore.

The problem is not what you suggest. The problem is the "conflict" between the 67's and the other outlets. If they changed the scheduling, set aside more parking and made it more accessible, the other outlets would go ballistic. The better the 67's do on premium time slots, the worse the other outlets do and that conflict will not change until the target market for the 67's changes from kids and families to Millenials and Mature Adults that have money and are willing to spend it at the other outlets. Basically, the same target market as they have for the Red Blacks. The problem is they have this fixation of kids and families for the 67's and it is hurting them now that there is conflict with the other outlets.

So, this needs to be a complete shift in thinking and approach that I just don't think they will adopt. The funny part is if they completely did a 180 degree turn in their approach, Thursday night games, for example, would actually not be an issue. They wouldn't be as well attended as a Friday night but they wouldn't be as dismal as they are now. By maintaining the focus on kids, the only time slot that works is Sunday afternoon.

The funny part about it all is they are putting themselves at a competitive disadvantage by removing the Friday nights. Killer used to love the Friday nights because he'd get teams coming in for their first game on the road while on an Eastern swing and he'd pounce on them. Or, they'd be there on Sunday afternoon with a three game in 2.5 day weekend eastern swing and take advantage of them on Sunday. It used to help balance out the road trips the 67's would have to take. Now, teams play PEterborough on Thursday and they come into Ottawa after that game and chill out on Friday's then play all rested on Saturday afternoon. Or they play Peterborough on Thursday, Kingston on Friday then Ottawa Sunday afternoon all rested.

It really is a joke.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Jeff encouraged and offered loads of support for the Booster Club. Earl was an ******* and made things difficult at every turn. Dick and Stephanie were gone the summer Jeff bought the team.

We agree to disagree. I knew someone at time who was helping to run the booster club and had heard completely different stories. The fact that Jeff "encouraged and offered loads of support" is open to debate and purely subjective. Not trying to be a dick (no pun intended) but the circumstances were different IMO.

overtheboards

Oct 24, 2010
Can't win when no one wants to shoot

A 3 on 1 and a 3 on 2 early in the 2nd with no shot attempt cause everyone wants to pass

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's season is over after giving up 4 goals so far in 2nd down 4-0

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Too bad. Not going to be able to have that 7th game and get that all important road-ice advantage! :laugh:

For the record, I have never seen a 67's team play so ****** at home in all of my years following junior hockey. What a joke!

4-0, 20 minutes til tee time! :naughty:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Season over for Ottawa. Wow this team was simply not good enough. Big changes are needed in our nations capital if they want to be competitive on the ice moving forward.

Luckily I won't have to listen to Ed Hand anymore either!;)

Tyler8525

May 16, 2011
Season over for Ottawa. Wow this team was simply not good enough. Big changes are needed in our nations capital if they want to be competitive on the ice moving forward.

Thought you didn't care about the outcome of this series? Hm

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Thought you didn't care about the outcome of this series? Hm

Well if you must know I am a fan of junior hockey on all levels. I comment on these OHL forums as I have a passing interest on how teams are doing. The 67's are my former team actually (as in not anymore) and I do have a rather elongated history with them. But let's not get into that shall we... :)

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013

Quite frankly, I found the Mississauga announcer more annoying, but that is a matter of taste.

Not good enough is the minimum for me. 0-3 at home, 2-1 on the road? Pitiful shooting numbers and let's not even start with the turnovers. This was a bad team at home. Hard to sell tickets for that.

Mississauga was too big. too strong, and too skilled for us. Other than that, we were OK. When a team repeatedly struggles to get shots on net, either they can't get the puck or they can't keep it. Over and over again, ignore a shot to drop the puck back. Hard to watch. I saw longtime season ticket holders walk out after the second period. It was a painful non-performance.

I don't know where the problem rests, but nothing will change very quickly.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Quite frankly, I found the Mississauga announcer more annoying, but that is a matter of taste.

Not good enough is the minimum for me. 0-3 at home, 2-1 on the road? Pitiful shooting numbers and let's not even start with the turnovers. This was a bad team at home. Hard to sell tickets for that.

Mississauga was too big. too strong, and too skilled for us. Other than that, we were OK. When a team repeatedly struggles to get shots on net, either they can't get the puck or they can't keep it. Over and over again, ignore a shot to drop the puck back. Hard to watch. I saw longtime season ticket holders walk out after the second period. It was a painful non-performance.

The organization decided to go with six D-Men that were 16 or 17 years old. They didn't add an OA D-Man until the deadline and that OA D-Man was a stay at home type with size which isn't going to add effective puck movement. The 19 year old D-Man (Orban) progressed throughout the season so I give him credit for that but he also adds no offense. It is really hard to get sustained puck movement and scoring opportunities with a young defense. So, it is really hard for me to look negatively at the offense because we were dramatically outgunned on the back end so the forwards have next to no puck support.

Agree or disagree with the organization deciding to go young on defense but no one can argue with the fact that when you go with a young defense like we did, that you cannot expect much better results. In fact, I could argue that Kevin Bahl was our 2nd best D-Man behind Hoefenmeyer. That says something.

Chmelevski came highly touted. He was a virtual bust. He complied his points mostly in the first 6 weeks and after that he was poor. He has skill which has been showcased. His consistency is poor. Let's hope he shrugs that off for next year. He has the ability to be five times the player he showed.

We are small but we can skate. There is something to say about size but we do need a goal scorer and if you look at the draft, Graeme Clarke seems to line up to our pick. He scored 70 goals this year BUT he is a small winger. Our 2nd round pick is at the back end of the round so we may struggle to get an impact player with that pick.

We go into next year with the potential of adding two new Imports. I highly doubt Tyanulin would come back. Why would he? He should get decent offers in Europe. Golikov is still our property and he is a big hitter but do we really want to add another young D-Man to the returning 6 we have? Orban may return as an OA as well. The coaches like him so I could see him return for sure. That is seven guys returning on the back end.

Keating took a step forward for sure. Foget looks good as does Felhaber. Evans and Clarke showed some promise but who knows how they will progress. We need to go OA hunting for another forward for sure, preferably a centre.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

No offensive thrust whatsoever but at same time the individual D play today was atrocious !!!
Not picking up man driving the net, getting beat clean on 1:1 and not tying up rebounders stick led directly to 3 missy goals . Brutal !!

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
No offensive thrust whatsoever but at same time the individual D play today was atrocious !!!
Not picking up man driving the net, getting beat clean on 1:1 and not tying up rebounders stick led directly to 3 missy goals . Brutal !!

That will tend to happen when 16 year old D are against 19-20 year old NHL draft picks.

Sour

Oct 20, 2016
I think after the draft is done in two weeks and the dust has settled down..Brown will be let go upper management isn't happy with the season and the poor performance of the team...

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I think after the draft is done in two weeks and the dust has settled down..Brown will be let go upper management isn't happy with the season and the poor performance of the team...

I don't know that it is quite that easy. There is clearly a problem with the import draft, in that we have a hard time locating and attracting players who can play in the League. Also, there seems to be a preference for smaller players at forward and a lot of ice time has been allotted to players who cannot play at the level. I don't like pointing out specific players, but perhaps that comes with the territory.

In any case, player selection can improve and scouting can be built. I am concerned that the dynamics in the dressing room are off somehow. It's hard to say, as the run-of-the-mill fan like me doesn't hear about that.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
I don't know that it is quite that easy. There is clearly a problem with the import draft, in that we have a hard time locating and attracting players who can play in the League. Also, there seems to be a preference for smaller players at forward and a lot of ice time has been allotted to players who cannot play at the level. I don't like pointing out specific players, but perhaps that comes with the territory.

In any case, player selection can improve and scouting can be built. I am concerned that the dynamics in the dressing room are off somehow. It's hard to say, as the run-of-the-mill fan like me doesn't hear about that.

I agree that I don't think it is that easy---I think if Brown was to go ( and I am not sure that will be the case ) it would be for other reasons, not on ice.For the one millionth time on here, no team can have good success with that many young D.

I would presume the decision to go that way was agreed upon with OSEG, so I think everyone had to know how this year would play out. So if he were to be let go for on ice performance I would tend to think that is unfair.

As for guys getting a lot of ice time that can't play in the league, I think I would agree to disagree with you---sure a couple of D weren't really ready, and if your talking about them, maybe you have a point. If your talking about the forwards, I have no clue who you would be referring to. But remember, if you are talking about D, they had to do it because of the direction they choose to take.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
That will tend to happen when 16 year old D are against 19-20 year old NHL draft picks.

Yes of course but the problem is , the 16 yrolds weren't the culprits!!
I mean I really like hoff and no disrespect but my atom aged dman son already knows not to get mesmerized by the puck on the 1:1 AND then big CM standing there hooking the missy F's waist as said forward bangs home the rebound??!! Is that not a simple stick lift for any dman let alone a 19 yrold playing in the CHL?:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad