Ottawa 67's 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Terrible effort today against one of the worst teams in the League. I would have said the worst, but Ottawa earned themselves a spot right beside them. Saturday, they more than held their own against Kitchener, losing in OT. Today, though, they dominated for 10 minutes and then mailed in the rest of the game. From the end of the first to midway through the third, they were outshot 32-3. Abysmal shooting, terrible defensive play and another own goal. I don't know if there was a mass trade while I wasn't looking or just a bad day all round. Enigmatic is a great word for them.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Wow, exciting game last night, absolutely dreadful today. I think its time to try something different by splitting Artur and Sasha up. Sasha is a finisher but at even strength he has 6 goals and 6 assists in 29 games, and is a -5. Try something different and you can always go back to that pairing if you need to. Now I am not questioning his skill but on numerous occasions I have watched a whole game and walked out thinking, I didn't notice him once all game. He is only 17 so its not the biggest worry in the world, but a tad concerning.

I have no clue why the coaches don't use the fourth line a little more when they are behind by 4 with 10 minutes left. I understand their plus/minus is horrible over the course of the season, but why not get them a little more experience when the game is over----no need to have your top 6 guys out there in the last few minutes.

It is still very frustrating watching them try to get out of their own end--I don't think I have ever seen a team turn the puck over more than they do. Ok rant over lol, on to the next game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Terrible effort today against one of the worst teams in the League. I would have said the worst, but Ottawa earned themselves a spot right beside them. Saturday, they more than held their own against Kitchener, losing in OT. Today, though, they dominated for 10 minutes and then mailed in the rest of the game. From the end of the first to midway through the third, they were outshot 32-3. Abysmal shooting, terrible defensive play and another own goal. I don't know if there was a mass trade while I wasn't looking or just a bad day all round. Enigmatic is a great word for them.

Kitchener is loaded with rookies and second year players. I think some people over estimate the Rangers strength. Only two vet Dmen the others are basically 16 and 17 year old rookies and second year players that never garnered much ice.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Wow, exciting game last night, absolutely dreadful today. I think its time to try something different by splitting Artur and Sasha up. Sasha is a finisher but at even strength he has 6 goals and 6 assists in 29 games, and is a -5. Try something different and you can always go back to that pairing if you need to. Now I am not questioning his skill but on numerous occasions I have watched a whole game and walked out thinking, I didn't notice him once all game. He is only 17 so its not the biggest worry in the world, but a tad concerning.

I have no clue why the coaches don't use the fourth line a little more when they are behind by 4 with 10 minutes left. I understand their plus/minus is horrible over the course of the season, but why not get them a little more experience when the game is over----no need to have your top 6 guys out there in the last few minutes.

It is still very frustrating watching them try to get out of their own end--I don't think I have ever seen a team turn the puck over more than they do. Ok rant over lol, on to the next game.

'Be been saying it a lot all season, Chmelevsky is not a good player compared to his hype. He is one dimensional. He is not a competent centre. HE is lazy without the puck. Tyanulin drags people to him which gives Sasha room to do what he does.

Sasha is really good down low from the corner boards through the slot and into the net area but outside that he isn't very good. He has a great shot and you cannot teach a kid how to score and he has that going for him in spades. The issue is if he cannot learn to play a 200 foot game, he cannot play centre. The centre needs to be the straw that stirs the drink. Whenever Sasha is taken off that line with Tyanulin, he is ineffective.

The defense is young and this management team has decided they want to run with that so expect 40+ shots on a regular basis, missed assignments, and some mismatches on coverage so don't even bother thinking about it. It is what it is and it won't change. They will have the odd good game here and there and that is what the promise for the future is all about. The reality is, I doubt all three of the kids turn out to be what so many think they will be. I've seen it over and over again where rookies show a certain level of promise and then plateau earlier than expected. If two of the three turn out as expected, I will be happy. I doubt either Auger, or Wilson will amount to anything other than bottom pairing D-Men on a competitive team. So, IMO, Our defense of the future isn't going to be great but very serviceable which makes watching them now so difficult.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
'Be been saying it a lot all season, Chmelevsky is not a good player compared to his hype. He is one dimensional. He is not a competent centre. HE is lazy without the puck. Tyanulin drags people to him which gives Sasha room to do what he does.

Sasha is really good down low from the corner boards through the slot and into the net area but outside that he isn't very good. He has a great shot and you cannot teach a kid how to score and he has that going for him in spades. The issue is if he cannot learn to play a 200 foot game, he cannot play centre. The centre needs to be the straw that stirs the drink. Whenever Sasha is taken off that line with Tyanulin, he is ineffective.

The defense is young and this management team has decided they want to run with that so expect 40+ shots on a regular basis, missed assignments, and some mismatches on coverage so don't even bother thinking about it. It is what it is and it won't change. They will have the odd good game here and there and that is what the promise for the future is all about. The reality is, I doubt all three of the kids turn out to be what so many think they will be. I've seen it over and over again where rookies show a certain level of promise and then plateau earlier than expected. If two of the three turn out as expected, I will be happy. I doubt either Auger, or Wilson will amount to anything other than bottom pairing D-Men on a competitive team. So, IMO, Our defense of the future isn't going to be great but very serviceable which makes watching them now so difficult.

I understand all that with the D, still frustrating sometimes, or most times lol.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I understand all that with the D, still frustrating sometimes, or most times lol.

If a deal could be made that would see Chmelevsky traded for a player like Hoefenmayer, I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, that deal is not out there.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
If a deal could be made that would see Chmelevsky traded for a player like Hoefenmayer, I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, that deal is not out there.

I have never looked to see Sasha was ranked, but I presume if his year continues as is, he would certainly drop quite a bit. He has great hands as you say, but right now he is so inconsistent.

Another problem with all the youth in the lineup is they are a very easy team to play against, only a couple of players that seem willing to make a body check when required, or finish a check.I don't think any team will come in and worry it might be a rough game.

overtheboards

Oct 24, 2010
I have never looked to see Sasha was ranked, but I presume if his year continues as is, he would certainly drop quite a bit. He has great hands as you say, but right now he is so inconsistent.

Another problem with all the youth in the lineup is they are a very easy team to play against, only a couple of players that seem willing to make a body check when required, or finish a check.I don't think any team will come in and worry it might be a rough game.

Add that the 20 year olds aren't the best of role models either . White today looked like someone just out on a Sunday skate . He barely moves his feet .

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Add that the 20 year olds aren't the best of role models either . White today looked like someone just out on a Sunday skate . He barely moves his feet .

White didn't have a good game, as did many----what does that have to do with being a role model? Are you saying Steege is a bad role model also?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Agreed brutal game. There is a pattern the last three games. They come out flying in the first but they are mot putting teams away. Could easily have led by three/four goals but they let the other team stick around. Sunday after the first they just stopped playing...why??? The only players that played well were Tyanulin and Robertson who I thought looked good on D. Young team so I guess we'll get those.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On the positive front Stratis'injury as per the citizen is not too bad...they say 1/2weeks. So just a strain much better than blowing his acl etc. Hope after this he'll be able to play consistently as he was our first rounder and haven't been able to really evaluate him much due to injuries. Fanjoy a scratch all week end and nobody at the rink seems to know what's going on with him. Strange someting is up.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
On the positive front Stratis'injury as per the citizen is not too bad...they say 1/2weeks. So just a strain much better than blowing his acl etc. Hope after this he'll be able to play consistently as he was our first rounder and haven't been able to really evaluate him much due to injuries. Fanjoy a scratch all week end and nobody at the rink seems to know what's going on with him. Strange someting is up.

There was a post at the end of the previous thread that things will become clear with Ben Fanjoy soon. Too bad he isn't playing- seems like a great kid. Hoping for his sake that there's a trade in the works to get him more time on the ice.

Without Artur, I don't know where this team would be- he is far and away the best player on the team. In scanning the top contenders' rosters, all of them either have 2 good European players or one good European player and a first year European player who can't be traded...maybe not bad news that our best player won't be dealt! :)

Maybe the team explores trades for Travis Barron. Another great kid that can't seem to get going this year. He'd be a great addition to a London or Windsor and maybe a move could allow him to play with better, more experienced players to boost his stock. What would be a realistic return for Travis? If Tye Felhaber netted 2 x 2 and 2 x upgrades of 4th's to 3rd's, could the 67's get 4 x 2nd rounders for Travis that they can use down the road?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
White didn't have a good game, as did many----what does that have to do with being a role model? Are you saying Steege is a bad role model also?

I think that White has been the fourth best forward on the team after Artur, Rymsha and Keating. He's been a very welcome addition for a 4th round pick.

Steege works hard out there and has upgraded the team's 3rd line.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Kitchener is loaded with rookies and second year players. I think some people over estimate the Rangers strength. Only two vet Dmen the others are basically 16 and 17 year old rookies and second year players that never garnered much ice.

Sorry. Their record at 9 games over .500 had me fooled.:D

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The team construct is flawed. Too many young D-Men. The D-Men that they keep is also a question mark. Hudson Wilson is horrible. I will give you an example. Sunday he pinches in at the offensive blueline, misses the pinch, stands there watching what happened ad then realizes the other team is sprinting through the neutral zone with the puck . What does Wilson do? He stands there! Does nothing. HE doesn't pick up a kate until Missy is already past the red line!

Maybe I am too old school in some ways but when you are a D-Man and you pinch and **** the puck, you turn on a dime and rush your keister back into the play. You don't just stand there trying to figure out what just happened!

Another instance that infuriated me was on the 5 on 3 penalty kill. Rymsha tries to flip the puck along the side boards at the blueline to push it past the defender and go on a breakaway instead of playing hard on the puck to get it out. Of course the puck doesn't squeak by the defender so it is held in the zone and the defender makes an easy play since Rymsha is now in the neutral zone. Within a few seconds, the puck is in our net.

What pisses me off most is that the management of this team are building around the three 16 year old D-Men. Why? You cannot fall in love with 16 year olds! EVER! I've been around long enough to know that players all have different levels for their ceiling. Some players look great (as 16 year olds) but never really get a lot better because they have reached their ceiling. Others can far exceed their ceiling. Point is, we won't know where the ceiling for these players is until about half way through next season.

Bahl looks great right now for a 16 year old and in my opinion he is the best of the three to date. However, one needs to assume he will continue to develop, get bigger and stronger, improve his footwork, become more confident physically, assert himself offensively at the right times etc... Do we know this will happen? No! All we know is he has a foundation of tools from which to draw but it doesn't mean he will ever develop a toolbox. I can't count how many players we have had that looked great early only to disappoint.

So, while we sit and watch this mess unfold right now, hoping that in a couple years the 3 D-Men become studs, we waste a wave of decent offensive production.

This team is so out of balance. You cannot have a big balloon of one position all floating through the cycle at the same time. I am curious to see what happens at the deadline this year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
There was a post at the end of the previous thread that things will become clear with Ben Fanjoy soon. Too bad he isn't playing- seems like a great kid. Hoping for his sake that there's a trade in the works to get him more time on the ice.

Without Artur, I don't know where this team would be- he is far and away the best player on the team. In scanning the top contenders' rosters, all of them either have 2 good European players or one good European player and a first year European player who can't be traded...maybe not bad news that our best player won't be dealt! :)

Maybe the team explores trades for Travis Barron. Another great kid that can't seem to get going this year. He'd be a great addition to a London or Windsor and maybe a move could allow him to play with better, more experienced players to boost his stock. What would be a realistic return for Travis? If Tye Felhaber netted 2 x 2 and 2 x upgrades of 4th's to 3rd's, could the 67's get 4 x 2nd rounders for Travis that they can use down the road?
I don't think we can get anywhere near 4 seconds for Barron. Two maybe?? He has not shown great progression, as OMG said some kids reach their ceiling sooner...are we there with Barron? That being said at this point I would keep him unless we get a really good offer which to me would be a good 17 y.o. forward and a second/and third. He is still a good player and leader and we might get an OA year out of him. We just have to accept he is what he is at this point.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I don't think we can get anywhere near 4 seconds for Barron. Two maybe?? He has not shown great progression, as OMG said some kids reach their ceiling sooner...are we there with Barron? That being said at this point I would keep him unless we get a really good offer which to me would be a good 17 y.o. forward and a second/and third. He is still a good player and leader and we might get an OA year out of him. We just have to accept he is what he is at this point.

I think Oshawa would pay a big price for Barron. They NEED a forward right now and one that will be around next year to help the legitimacy of their bid. We narrowly beat out Oshawa for Felhaber. They are in the mix for any top two line 18 year old forward.

Barron is simply not available. Someone would have to approach Ottawa and really make an offer that would make them pause and think.

As you said, he could end up being an OA.

The thing you need to consider is his potential to be an impact player int he playoffs. I am holding out hope that he gains his reputation as a playoff performer.

Oshawa is all in for the Cup hosting next year. They also want to prove it with a solid playoff push this year. I honestly could see the Gens trade Antopov for Barron if it came down to it. They would probably the most hot to trot on a guy like Barron.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The team construct is flawed. Too many young D-Men. The D-Men that they keep is also a question mark. Hudson Wilson is horrible. I will give you an example. Sunday he pinches in at the offensive blueline, misses the pinch, stands there watching what happened ad then realizes the other team is sprinting through the neutral zone with the puck . What does Wilson do? He stands there! Does nothing. HE doesn't pick up a kate until Missy is already past the red line!

Maybe I am too old school in some ways but when you are a D-Man and you pinch and **** the puck, you turn on a dime and rush your keister back into the play. You don't just stand there trying to figure out what just happened!

Another instance that infuriated me was on the 5 on 3 penalty kill. Rymsha tries to flip the puck along the side boards at the blueline to push it past the defender and go on a breakaway instead of playing hard on the puck to get it out. Of course the puck doesn't squeak by the defender so it is held in the zone and the defender makes an easy play since Rymsha is now in the neutral zone. Within a few seconds, the puck is in our net.

What pisses me off most is that the management of this team are building around the three 16 year old D-Men. Why? You cannot fall in love with 16 year olds! EVER! I've been around long enough to know that players all have different levels for their ceiling. Some players look great (as 16 year olds) but never really get a lot better because they have reached their ceiling. Others can far exceed their ceiling. Point is, we won't know where the ceiling for these players is until about half way through next season.

Bahl looks great right now for a 16 year old and in my opinion he is the best of the three to date. However, one needs to assume he will continue to develop, get bigger and stronger, improve his footwork, become more confident physically, assert himself offensively at the right times etc... Do we know this will happen? No! All we know is he has a foundation of tools from which to draw but it doesn't mean he will ever develop a toolbox. I can't count how many players we have had that looked great early only to disappoint.

So, while we sit and watch this mess unfold right now, hoping that in a couple years the 3 D-Men become studs, we waste a wave of decent offensive production.

This team is so out of balance. You cannot have a big balloon of one position all floating through the cycle at the same time. I am curious to see what happens at the deadline this year.

you are right about young players its hard to predict progression. I really like what I've seen from Bahl and Robertson up to now. Haven't seen Stratis enough yet. I don't think its accurate to say they are building around those three, they are also building around Hoef, Keating, Chem, Rymsha, Auger and yes Wilson although I would agree he's struggled recently but he's a big kid and only seventeen. I find it funny how people panic with one game. Yes it was pretty brutal but we're close to 500 and have been in most games which is what I was hoping for this year. If it wasn't for the games we've blown in the third due to lack of experience everybody would be saying how surprising we are, its a fine line. Bottom line I still feel we're heading the right way and we should see a big jump next year...maybe after x-mas. For what its worth and I might be wrong but I don't see Ottawa being too active at the deadline. Fanjoy maybe? Artur...limited market...Leo?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I think Oshawa would pay a big price for Barron. They NEED a forward right now and one that will be around next year to help the legitimacy of their bid. We narrowly beat out Oshawa for Felhaber. They are in the mix for any top two line 18 year old forward.

Barron is simply not available. Someone would have to approach Ottawa and really make an offer that would make them pause and think.

As you said, he could end up being an OA.

The thing you need to consider is his potential to be an impact player int he playoffs. I am holding out hope that he gains his reputation as a playoff performer.

Oshawa is all in for the Cup hosting next year. They also want to prove it with a solid playoff push this year. I honestly could see the Gens trade Antopov for Barron if it came down to it. They would probably the most hot to trot on a guy like Barron.

Interesting thought but Andropov would be a steep price although I would take it as it would give us that forward to go with the 16y.o. D. He would need to waive his NTC though.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
I think that White has been the fourth best forward on the team after Artur, Rymsha and Keating. He's been a very welcome addition for a 4th round pick.

Steege works hard out there and has upgraded the team's 3rd line.

I just wanted to know what his post meant. By saying the 20 year olds are bad role models, does he have info from the room that that is the case. Is he equating a bad game with being a bad role model? It was a confusing post, if he wants to be critical of someones game, thats fine--but to critique the overages that way seems weird.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
you are right about young players its hard to predict progression. I really like what I've seen from Bahl and Robertson up to now. Haven't seen Stratis enough yet. I don't think its accurate to say they are building around those three, they are also building around Hoef, Keating, Chem, Rymsha, Auger and yes Wilson although I would agree he's struggled recently but he's a big kid and only seventeen. I find it funny how people panic with one game. Yes it was pretty brutal but we're close to 500 and have been in most games which is what I was hoping for this year. If it wasn't for the games we've blown in the third due to lack of experience everybody would be saying how surprising we are, its a fine line. Bottom line I still feel we're heading the right way and we should see a big jump next year...maybe after x-mas. For what its worth and I might be wrong but I don't see Ottawa being too active at the deadline. Fanjoy maybe? Artur...limited market...Leo?

When I say they are building around those three D-Men, I am accurate.

They deciined to bid for the Memorial Cup next year because they don't feel they will be ready. They said they are unwilling to add a d-Man this year because they want to give the ice to the young D-Men. This suggests they are in a holding pattern waiting on their development.

They are not building around Auger. Auger is a 5-6 DMan. Hypothetically speaking, let us assume that each of the three D-Men work out. Then you have Hoefenmayer. Auger and Wilson would be 5-6 guys no matter how you look at it. You simply don't build around 5-6 D-Men.

They aren't building around Rymsha because he is 18 years old. It would mean they are also building around Barron and Felhaber. You can't build around three 16 year old D-Mena nd three 18 year old forwards. I've suggested there is a decent chance their three forwards are OA candidates but at this stage you can't bank on that. So, either you are building around the three 18 year olds, or the three D-Men.

Their lack of moves regarding the youth on defense combined with their public statements regarding the want to develop the three of them suggests they are looking more so at that cohort rather than the aforementioned three forwards.

If they were building around the three forwards (and goaltending) they'd make moves for this year and next as well as build for the hosting of the Memorial Cup next year.

I would agree that Chmelevsky and Keating would be bunched in with the three D-Men because the ages match up, and they project as the nucleus of two-thirds of the top line next year and the future.

I will reiterate. Wilson is a stupid player. DUMB DUMB DUMB. I just don't see him gaining any significant on ice vision. Vision is like the ability to score goals. You can't teach it. You can help a player develop skills but the two big things you cannot teach are vision and goal scoring. Wilson doesn't anticipate the play well and makes too many mistakes. The mistakes he makes are not "youth" mistakes. He has reached his ceiling. What you see now is what you will see in two years. Usually when you see youth mistakes it is things like being too agressive or gambling too much. That isn't his problem. He just doesn't read plays and makes the wrong decision a lot of the time. That being said, I don't have as big an issue with him in his own zone. If he took D-Zone face offs and skated off when they headed up ice with the puck, I would have a different opinion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I just wanted to know what his post meant. By saying the 20 year olds are bad role models, does he have info from the room that that is the case. Is he equating a bad game with being a bad role model? It was a confusing post, if he wants to be critical of someones game, thats fine--but to critique the overages that way seems weird.

I think the OP was suggesting they are not setting a good on ice example. This is based on their play...or so I assume.

Personally, I feel both have been quality additions especially when you consider price.

White has bounced around through the lineup quite a bit so it is tough when you always have different linemates.

IMO, they need to keep a few pieces together.

Keating-Chmelevsky-Tyanulin and Barron-Rymsha-Felhaber are two lines that I feel should be cemented until injuries happen

That leaves you with Steege-White-Fanjoy/Campbell/Clark as the third line depending on what is going on at the time

I like White and Steege together. Unfortunately, Fanjoy has been invisible this yer to the point I would not even consider him for an OA Spot if it presented itself.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I think the OP was suggesting they are not setting a good on ice example. This is based on their play...or so I assume.

Personally, I feel both have been quality additions especially when you consider price.

That was my impression. I thought that the reference was about being a pro style hockey player and what was needed game in game out. I find both are doing that, but I don't see the message being delivered.

As for the three young defencemen, I thought Robertson played well on Saturday and Bahl was a physical presence. Sunday they get an "unable to rate" because everyone sucked.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

I think they may be underestimating Mississauga too. I wonder if the switch went off on Sunday and they're finally playing to their potential. I guess we'll find out Wednesday when they visit the aud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad