Ottawa 67's 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
#77 Kyle Auger Game Misc-Leaving Bench, pretty sure this would mean Coach Brown also gets a suspension

I wouldn't be surprised if that one disappeared on appeal. Auger was on the ice during the play ÷o it is likely it was Auger coming off and another player coming on in a line change and before Auger got off he turned around and stayed on the ice. Sort of a too many men deal.

I am not sure about that but but it is more reasonable than auger hopping off the bench to join a fight. He was Martinet's defense partner and all of this happened in front of the benches.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I think a case could be made for a slew foot by McLeod on Martinett, which started the whole thing. As for Hague, not only the punch to Baron when he was on the ice, but the eye gouge and face rake before it. I really hope Hague is gone for a while.

Sweeney and Reid are poor refs at the best of times. They obviously cannot control a playoff game.

The linesmen should also be called into question for letting that happen to Baron. They basically backed away after the two hit the ice.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I think a case could be made for a slew foot by McLeod on Martinett, which started the whole thing. As for Hague, not only the punch to Baron when he was on the ice, but the eye gouge and face rake before it. I really hope Hague is gone for a while.

Sweeney and Reid are poor refs at the best of times. They obviously cannot control a playoff game.

The linesmen should also be called into question for letting that happen to Baron. They basically backed away after the two hit the ice.

That's being kind about the refs. After the questionable call on Barron for crosschecking, Reid gave him two for unsportsmanlike. Nothing like doubling up on a bad call. Chin up, pal, you're getting paid anyway. Then Reid comes storming over pointing his finger at Brown, yelling at him to shut up.

Had Brown done exactly the same thing, he would have been gone, but I guess there is no code of professional conduct here. I thought the body slam by McLeod should have been a penalty. It certainly wasn't a hockey play. Then all hell breaks loose. Games are sometimes on an edge and the officials just lost this one.

Hague pulls that stunt, so ably described already, and gets a GM. The web site says Aggressor, but it could be for not having tie-downs. Regardless, he was allowed to stay in the penalty box for the rest of the period. Maybe a concern about another fight? Likely, because his actions were indefensible.

Of course, the usual crap starts. Refs don't score goals (they can certainly prevent them), they don't make passes. All true, but they can affect the conduct of a game. Like many, I don't think Ottawa has the team to beat Mississauga, but it could have been a better game.

As for the future, I am concerned on a couple of fronts. Firstly, our selection of imports has been spotty at best. Tyanulin is a good player (who would benefit from more focus on shooting). The defenceman we picked couldn't play in the League. Secondly, every year, we look to be a bigger team and every year, we get smaller. Trouble is, our best offensive players this year are among our smallest.

Can Ottawa compete in today's OHL? It takes money and the willingness to spend it. I don't see that commitment. Crowds will come back when performance improves, not before. Expecting large crowds to come and watch marginal playoff teams get pounded is not realistic.

Sorry for the long post.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Auger and Brown suspended 2 games.

Hague suspended indefinitly pending further investigation by the league.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
......Can Ottawa compete in today's OHL? It takes money and the willingness to spend it. I don't see that commitment. Crowds will come back when performance improves, not before. Expecting large crowds to come and watch marginal playoff teams get pounded is not realistic.

Sorry for the long post.

Doesn't get better up there until the organization/franchise presents the team as "relevant" in the market place. Currently it is not. Way too much negative press and publicity, been going on too long. Bad infrastructure, poor operational and public relation nightmares which often times alienated their own paying fans. Oh did I mention that having a really ****** on-ice product doesn't help either. Seriously If I lived back in Ottawa I would go over and watch Hull play or even the Ottawa West Golden Knight's it's that friggin bad! I talk to friends back in Ottawa who also know people who have stopped going!

Again as I said before, this team needs a new arena. A nice small 5,000 seat arena is all you need. Create excitement and demand. Go back to Friday night games. Go back to the old uniforms. But the current Ottawa group needs to sell this team. It is for the best. If looking into a breaking a lease agreement is necessary then do it. Hopefully someone with very deep pockets want to invest. Either that or just fold up shop. Watching a dying horse fade away is pathetic!

Look at Niagara and it's great ownership. They pack em in down there and are relevant in the community. Fans are passionate and want to go Ice Dog games. Unlike the Ottawa owners, Mr. Burke actually sits in with the fans sometimes and is approachable and likeable! Great guy!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Doesn't get better up there until the organization/franchise presents the team as "relevant" in the market place. Currently it is not. Way too much negative press and publicity, been going on too long. Bad infrastructure, poor operational and public relation nightmares which often times alienated their own paying fans. Oh did I mention that having a really ****** on-ice product doesn't help either. Seriously If I lived back in Ottawa I would go over and watch Hull play or even the Ottawa West Golden Knight's it's that friggin bad! I talk to friends back in Ottawa who also know people who have stopped going!

Again as I said before, this team needs a new arena. A nice small 5,000 seat arena is all you need. Create excitement and demand. Go back to Friday night games. Go back to the old uniforms. But the current Ottawa group needs to sell this team. It is for the best. If looking into a breaking a lease agreement is necessary then do it. Hopefully someone with very deep pockets want to invest. Either that or just fold up shop. Watching a dying horse away is pathetic!

Look at Niagara and it's great ownership. They pack them down there and are relevant in the community. Fans are passionate and want to go Ice Dog games. Unlike the Ottawa owners, Mr. Burke actually sits in with the fans sometimes and is approachable and likeable! Great guy!

Sudbury had 4440 or something similar. Exceptional considering the last two years and the fact it's only first round. Owner Dario Zulich is also very present at games and sits with the fans. He always seems half in the bag to me but hey so am I half the time. Wonder how he's so rich from it and I'm only in debt.

Good luck to the 67's, hope they extend the series. That play by Hague might be one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen.

three dog night

May 3, 2014

Again as I said before, this team needs a new arena. A nice small 5,000 seat arena is all you need. Create excitement and demand. Go back to Friday night games. Go back to the old uniforms. But the current Ottawa group needs to sell this team. It is for the best. If looking into a breaking a lease agreement is necessary then do it. Hopefully someone with very deep pockets want to invest. Either that or just fold up shop. Watching a dying horse fade away is pathetic!

Look at Niagara and it's great ownership. They pack em in down there and are relevant in the community. Fans are passionate and want to go Ice Dog games. Unlike the Ottawa owners, Mr. Burke actually sits in with the fans sometimes and is approachable and likeable! Great guy!
I agree the Burkes are great owners two near sell out for an eight place team going against the number one team very loud crowds too. Hamilton also needs a smaller arena

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Sudbury had 4440 or something similar. Exceptional considering the last two years and the fact it's only first round. Owner Dario Zulich is also very present at games and sits with the fans. He always seems half in the bag to me but hey so am I half the time. Wonder how he's so rich from it and I'm only in debt.

Good luck to the 67's, hope they extend the series. That play by Hague might be one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen.

Always like that Sudbury crowd. Loud and passionate and into the game. Hope you guys take Oshawa...

My god has anyone ever seen a game in Barrie?? I mean such nice people and all (man I summer up in Collingwood to boot) but holy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! Snooze fest! :boredom:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
....Hamilton also needs a smaller arena

Glad to see hockey back in the Steel City and doing well. I hope that franchise makes their mark and Hamilton embraces them long term. I don't think they'll end up being Ottawa but they do need to be careful. Nothing worse then playing in a large NHL arena and having only a handful of fans. Funny since the 67's moved back to Lansdowne they had even worse attendance. They drew more at the 20,500 seat CTC where people *****ed and complained than they do now! :shakehead

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Leo's game so far has been the most impressive individual 67's player performance I've ever seen. 41 saves so far and at least four highlights.

Let's finish this game off!

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Leo's game so far has been the most impressive individual 67's player performance I've ever seen. 41 saves so far and at least four highlights.

Let's finish this game off!

Missy not just getting a lot of shots---they probably have 20 quality scoring chances.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
BIIIIG Win tonight!

Fantastic job by Leo and some excellent finish from our forwards, taking advantage of almost all of our scoring chances.

I had the scoring chances at around 25-8 for Missy- hopefully Leo the Lion is in their heads now!!

Tyler8525

May 16, 2011
Don't get too high on yourself Ottawa you were quite fortunate to get that result from tonight's performance

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
BIIIIG Win tonight!

Fantastic job by Leo and some excellent finish from our forwards, taking advantage of almost all of our scoring chances.

I had the scoring chances at around 25-8 for Missy- hopefully Leo the Lion is in their heads now!!

Too bad nobody in Ottawa really cares about this team. Impressive road win and even greater effort by Lazarev. Perhaps the rest of this series can be played at the disconsolate and subdued Hersey Centre?

Anyway a chance for the 67's to force a game 7,... but don't count on it. For that to happen they'd actually have to win a home game...:sarcasm:

Last edited:

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Auger and Brown suspended 2 games.

Hague suspended indefinitly pending further investigation by the league.

Brown grabbed Rymsha at the start of the year to keep him on the bench during an altercation. He gets 2 games for the "horse collar". Auger goes back to an altercation and Brown gets two for that. Sometimes, the rules don't make sense. It can be tough to be a coach.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Big game by Leo last night. The only problem is he made three ridiculous saves that he shouldn't have. On top of that, he was solid throughout.

The 67's were dramatically outplayed. The Steelheads came at the 67's in waves over and over again.

If we are looking at last night as a means of providing confidence, I am not too sure anyone being honest with themselves would say that game was a confidence builder.

The one thing that was a positive was we were able to get in behind their defense a few times and Ingram was beatable. If the 67's can continue to get in behind the defense and Ingram stays average, we will score goals. They don't have Hague which does hurt them in that regard.

I expect to see a higher scoring game on Sunday. Hopefully the 67's will come out on top.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Big game by Leo last night. The only problem is he made three ridiculous saves that he shouldn't have. On top of that, he was solid throughout.

The 67's were dramatically outplayed. The Steelheads came at the 67's in waves over and over again.

If we are looking at last night as a means of providing confidence, I am not too sure anyone being honest with themselves would say that game was a confidence builder.

The one thing that was a positive was we were able to get in behind their defense a few times and Ingram was beatable. If the 67's can continue to get in behind the defense and Ingram stays average, we will score goals. They don't have Hague which does hurt them in that regard.

I expect to see a higher scoring game on Sunday. Hopefully the 67's will come out on top.

Mississauga was more active in front of Lazarev on Thursday. When Watson scored their first goal, McLeod had his stick stuck in Lazarev's pads long before the puck entered the crease. Tough to make a save like that. Ottawa was more effective clearing the players out, until the last few minutes.

I never know what to expect from this team on a game by game basis. I thought White and Steege showed up which is a hopeful sign. They need those two and Felhaber to move the checking focus from Foget and Tyanulin.

What will we see? Who knows?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Ok all you Ottawa fans. IF by some miracle you win Sunday at home, I would have to say things would look pretty good for you guys going in a game 7. After all - you'd have road ice advantage plus Mississauga doesn't have much of a crowd either!! :laugh:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ok all you Ottawa fans. IF by some miracle you win Sunday at home, I would have to say things would look pretty good for you guys going in a game 7. After all - you'd have road ice advantage plus Mississauga doesn't have much of a crowd either!! :laugh:

Let's not compare crowds. Mississauga had almost as many fans on Friday night as Ottawa had Tuesday AND Thursday. I'm not joking.

I will be interested to see the plays of the week. I think at least two plays will be from that game Friday. The Miracle Lazarev save witht he paddle and backward sprawl and the Tyanulin goal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad