Ottawa 67's 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Yes of course but the problem is , the 16 yrolds weren't the culprits!!
I mean I really like hoff and no disrespect but my atom aged dman son already knows not to get mesmerized by the puck on the 1:1 AND then big CM standing there hooking the missy F's waist as said forward bangs home the rebound??!! Is that not a simple stick lift for any dman let alone a 19 yrold playing in the CHL?:shakehead

Fair enough if you are speaking of individual plays, I was referring to the big picture and sum of everything.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes of course but the problem is , the 16 yrolds weren't the culprits!!
I mean I really like hoff and no disrespect but my atom aged dman son already knows not to get mesmerized by the puck on the 1:1 AND then big CM standing there hooking the missy F's waist as said forward bangs home the rebound??!! Is that not a simple stick lift for any dman let alone a 19 yrold playing in the CHL?:shakehead

So, what you are trying to say is you are bewildered at why "CM" has signed an NHL contract?

In my opinion, he isn't an NHL signed player but he isn't horrible. HE is an upgrade on Robertson which is the player who's spot he took. But, that is not saying much. Hard to try to compare a 16 year old rookie to a 20 year old NHL signed player.

I said at the beginning of the year that we didn't have enough experience to go with three 16 year olds and then trade for Auger a 17 year old. This doesn't include Wilson who was another 17 year old. If we were to have two or three big name experienced D-Men that could play 30 minutes per game then I think they could have done what they did and brought along 2 or 3 rookies on the back end. But, Orban wasn't going to be able to carry that defense from an experience standpoint and MArtenet wasn't either. So, the organization asked for this. They knew it was going to happen and they accepted the fact it did happen. We, as fans, can disagree with the decision, I did, but I also accept the fact that they did what they did and the results fit the decision.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree that I don't think it is that easy---I think if Brown was to go ( and I am not sure that will be the case ) it would be for other reasons, not on ice.For the one millionth time on here, no team can have good success with that many young D.

I would presume the decision to go that way was agreed upon with OSEG, so I think everyone had to know how this year would play out. So if he were to be let go for on ice performance I would tend to think that is unfair.

As for guys getting a lot of ice time that can't play in the league, I think I would agree to disagree with you---sure a couple of D weren't really ready, and if your talking about them, maybe you have a point. If your talking about the forwards, I have no clue who you would be referring to. But remember, if you are talking about D, they had to do it because of the direction they choose to take.

I have virtually no issues with Brown as a GM. I think he understands the cycle of junior hockey. HE has made moves that fit well within that cycle. He isn't afraid to make the hard decisions for the best of the team. I disagreed with the decisions regarding the defense but I respect the decision as it will give us a high pick this year which may help more than finishing in 4th and winning a round.

There have been some off ice type issues. It started witht he horse collar incident and he seems like a tyrant behind the bench. Whether the players are responding, I don't know. But, it seemed like the players responded better to Eastwood when Brown was off ill.

I could potentially see Brown step back fromt he bench, whether that is voluntary or required, who knows. I think Eastwood is a good coach and he is really bright. I believe he has a lot to offer. I would have zero issues with Eastwood behind the bench with Brown in the GM seat.

Regarding the forward corps, I don't think anyone other than Chmelevski played under their potential. I cannot criticize players for lack of talent, only lack of effort and improvement and as I said, other than Chmelevski, I think all the forwards received at minimum a passing grade.

Our forward corps lacks size and scoring ability. We have a lot of passers but the only real finishers are Keating and Chmelevski. We need to draft a gifted goal scorer.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I have virtually no issues with Brown as a GM. I think he understands the cycle of junior hockey. HE has made moves that fit well within that cycle. He isn't afraid to make the hard decisions for the best of the team. I disagreed with the decisions regarding the defense but I respect the decision as it will give us a high pick this year which may help more than finishing in 4th and winning a round.

There have been some off ice type issues. It started witht he horse collar incident and he seems like a tyrant behind the bench. Whether the players are responding, I don't know. But, it seemed like the players responded better to Eastwood when Brown was off ill.

I could potentially see Brown step back fromt he bench, whether that is voluntary or required, who knows. I think Eastwood is a good coach and he is really bright. I believe he has a lot to offer. I would have zero issues with Eastwood behind the bench with Brown in the GM seat.

Regarding the forward corps, I don't think anyone other than Chmelevski played under their potential. I cannot criticize players for lack of talent, only lack of effort and improvement and as I said, other than Chmelevski, I think all the forwards received at minimum a passing grade.

Our forward corps lacks size and scoring ability. We have a lot of passers but the only real finishers are Keating and Chmelevski. We need to draft a gifted goal scorer.

Yes a goal scorer is needed and Clark fits the bill. We then need to shore up center, get a18/19 y.o. euro and trade for an 18/19 (with oa potential) center. Then top lines would look like
Evans/center/foget
Felhaber/import/clark
Barron/Keating/chem
As for our second round pick I suspect we go goalie as the draft is apparently good for goalies this year and I doubt Leo is back

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes a goal scorer is needed and Clark fits the bill. We then need to shore up center, get a18/19 y.o. euro and trade for an 18/19 (with oa potential) center. Then top lines would look like
Evans/center/foget
Felhaber/import/clark
Barron/Keating/chem
As for our second round pick I suspect we go goalie as the draft is apparently good for goalies this year and I doubt Leo is back

I'm not sure your lines are accurate. I would have the following:

???-Keating-Foget
Felhaber-Barron-???
???-Chmelevski-???

OF course we have other players but that is how I see the foundation. I disagree with Chmelevski at centre but they seem hell bent on forcing that quake peg into that round hole. That being said, who knows where he would fit.

I 100% agree with the goalie in the 2nd round. From what I have read there are about six solid goalies so we may as well try to snag one of them.

I also agree regarding the Import pick. The only problem is this team has gone with 17 year olds now for a long time. I argued up and down the past two summers not to go with 17 year olds because you need to develop them. Go with guys that ou can really look at as players that can come in and help right away. So, we will see what they do. I am also not convinced they gave up on Golikov. I think the numbers were against him last year and we may see him back in camp as opposed to drafting another in the 2nd round of the Import draft.

The funny situation may be Tyanulin. I placed his chances of returning at maybe 1%. But, I am not convinced that is the case. He may have had a decent enough year to be persuaded not to give up on the NHL. He improved so much in the 2nd half that maybe one additional Major Junior year of exposure on a better team may open more eyes. It is not necessarily about his scoring but his puck poise and his ability and willingness to lay the body that impressed me in the 2nd half. So, he can go back to Europe and signs contract now or he can return for an OA year and give the NHL another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad