Ottawa 67's 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
A number of 67s players are are getting well deserved props in recent weeks but one that is doesn't get full recognition IMO is Nathan Todd. Since the trade deadline he has quietly delivered game after game and has been a big, instrumental part of the step up Tyanulin and Barron have delivered. Two goals and an assist yesterday. 97 points on 116 regular season games. 14 points in 9 playoff games, eight of which are in the three games this past week.

All this from a kid who was interested but overlooked by the OHL until he was drafted at 19.

Yeah you're right he's been playing great. Anyway sucks for Guy, I don't recall him getting injured in his career and to finish it like this... Anyway thanks Nevin I was sometimes hard on you the last few years but thought you played very well this year. Good luck.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
How is it shoulder to shoulder. They weren't beside each other. Replay clearly shows a cross check from behind that sent Corneil head first into the boards.

Hum amazing how fans of different teams see the same hit. IMO was king of a between hit not squarely from behind. That being said I think Corneil needs to hit the weight room if Tyanulin can do that to him:naughty::naughty:

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
Average regular season attendance for the 67's continued its steady, concerning decade-long decline. http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/ottawa-67's-7314.html

2004-05 9231
2005-06 8207
2006-07 8063
2007-08 8103
2008-09 7865
2009-10 7499
2010-11 7205
2011-12 6507
2012-13 5613
2013-14 4305
2014-15 3604
2015-16 3484

Although our average attendance is not atypical in absolute numbers, the 67s and the Wolves are the only teams in the eastern conference to experience declines. However the Wolves are only down 900 from their peak.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Average regular season attendance for the 67's continued its steady, concerning decade-long decline. http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/ottawa-67's-7314.html

2004-05 9231
2005-06 8207
2006-07 8063
2007-08 8103
2008-09 7865
2009-10 7499
2010-11 7205
2011-12 6507
2012-13 5613
2013-14 4305
2014-15 3604
2015-16 3484

Although our average attendance is not atypical in absolute numbers, the 67s and the Wolves are the only teams in the eastern conference to experience declines. However the Wolves are only down 900 from their peak.

Went to the game yesterday. Tried to park. Was told I couldn't park unless I had a parking voucher. So, I drove home and watched the game on TV.

I guess parking is very restricted weekdays. Oh well. Many cars turned around. This clearly affected attendance.

I should have said I was going to Whole Foods....I'd have parked no problem.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Which 67 player left the bench clutching his arm/elbow and did'nt return on monday

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Went to the game yesterday. Tried to park. Was told I couldn't park unless I had a parking voucher. So, I drove home and watched the game on TV.

I guess parking is very restricted weekdays. Oh well. Many cars turned around. This clearly affected attendance.

I should have said I was going to Whole Foods....I'd have parked no problem.

You mean there is a problem with turning a 47-year-old arena with 10,000 seats and 4,000 parking spaces into a 49-year-old arena with 5,600 seats and 800 parking spaces? Look at it like this. Our overall attendance is down in absolute numbers, but it is not bad as a percentage of capacity.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
Capacity is not a problem. Parking is often "sold out", even online in advance, for good games and bad weather. I think OSEG could solve this if they wanted to.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You mean there is a problem with turning a 47-year-old arena with 10,000 seats and 4,000 parking spaces into a 49-year-old arena with 5,600 seats and 800 parking spaces? Look at it like this. Our overall attendance is down in absolute numbers, but it is not bad as a percentage of capacity.

Part of me just simply doesn't care anymore.

This whole project has been about a real estate development. That means the Ottawa 67's are now 2nd class citizens as are their fans.

This is something that I have come to realize more and more over the last 4 seasons.

It is what it is. I'm now at the point where I simply don't even care anymore.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
TSN reported Chmelevski's CT scan results preclude a playoff return.

Better play it safe as we'll need him next year. Also its doubtful how effective he would be being parachuted in an intense series after being out so long.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Part of me just simply doesn't care anymore.

This whole project has been about a real estate development. That means the Ottawa 67's are now 2nd class citizens as are their fans.

This is something that I have come to realize more and more over the last 4 seasons.

It is what it is. I'm now at the point where I simply don't even care anymore.

Well I some had got there way the 67s would not even have a home rink.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Big win in overtime for the Ice Dogs tonight Ned was hot good to see a fairly big crowd in Ottawa tonight.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well I some had got there way the 67s would not even have a home rink.

That is not true at all. IF the some you are talking about are the Friends of Lansdowne, I would have had zero issues parking.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
That is not true at all. IF the some you are talking about are the Friends of Lansdowne, I would have had zero issues parking.

There was some that wanted to tear everything down and build a massive park as with the Friends Of Landsdown there would have been zero on sight parking.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There was some that wanted to tear everything down and build a massive park as with the Friends Of Landsdown there would have been zero on sight parking.

Not trying to reopen this discussion again but the Friends of Lansdowne "officially" wanted to discuss the site proposal process and felt the law was breached in awarding the contract to OSEG without proper due diligence.

What you are talking about is the wackos with their pie in the sky scenario's. You and I both know that was never going to happen.

My original post was geared towards this being more about a real estate development deal and how that deal has affected the 67's negatively. That is not to say it hasn't positively affected the City. The reality is the 67's have taken a big hit and will continue to take a big hit until such time as going to the games is more convenient and less expensive.

wombat613

Mar 31, 2016

2004-05 9231
2005-06 8207
2006-07 8063
2007-08 8103
2008-09 7865
2009-10 7499
2010-11 7205
2011-12 6507
2012-13 5613
2013-14 4305
2014-15 3604
2015-16 3484

OSEG - Ottawa Sixtysevens Elimination Goons.

The real problem is not necessarily parking, it is transportation, especially after the games. I was a season ticket holder back in the good days, and I hope to be again some day, but for now 10 packs might be all I buy.

Transportation is the biggest issue. Lack of parking killed the "walk up crowd" which Jeff Hunt back in the day stated was a large part of his audience.

I went to the season closer this year, first time in 3 years I felt like I was at a 67s game. Took the bus there, no problem (bit packed) did my walk up ticket. Left the game, largest crowd I have seen in 3 years, any shuttle buses there? Nope.

Simple solution, shuttle buses before/after the game just to Billings Bridge or Carleton U, the closest main transportation hubs, and Carleton has parking. I realize 5K for 67s isn't the same as 20k for RedBlacks, but how many don't come back after waiting for a packed bus for 30 min after a game? Still 2 yellow school buses going between those venues (or working with OCTranspo) would solve it. The game is 2.5 hours long, no one in promo can call OCTranspo and say we will have 3000 fans leaving at 9:30pm tonight?

Maybe next year, once the boxes are re-opened, and broadcasts are back in the booth?

I remember when Jeff would say empty seats meant he had more work to do, but now that 67s come third (I think they promote Fury more than 67s personally) makes you wonder how long we will have them, wait 5K makes them money so I think we are safe.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
Could it be that OSEG simply has more 'skin in the game' when it comes to football and soccer? They both have higher salaries and travel costs than is the case with the 67s. In football in particular, the number of regular season home games are very few so just a couple of poorly attended games could really hit the income statement.

I am not a football or soccer fan and have no idea of how gate revenue share works, or what net average ticket price or average attendance is. All I do know is there are a lot more 67s home games, the kids are not paid much and they travel by bus.

2015:
67s - 34 home games plus preseason plus playoffs
Fury - 17 home games including preseason and run to the finals
Redblacks - 11 including preseason and a run to the finals

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Could it be that OSEG simply has more 'skin in the game' when it comes to football and soccer? They both have higher salaries and travel costs than is the case with the 67s. In football in particular, the number of regular season home games are very few so just a couple of poorly attended games could really hit the income statement.

I am not a football or soccer fan and have no idea of how gate revenue share works, or what net average ticket price or average attendance is. All I do know is there are a lot more 67s home games, the kids are not paid much and they travel by bus.

2015:
67s - 34 home games plus preseason plus playoffs
Fury - 17 home games including preseason and run to the finals
Redblacks - 11 including preseason and a run to the finals

Sort of my point.

This was a Real Estate Deal. This was about developing Prime land for commercial and residential use. Some of that cost was burdened by the City of Ottawa. ESEG gets a management fee for the first 20 or so years. They also get the profits from the build and sales.

The REAL money is in the development, not the Sports franchises. Sure, having the three franchises can and do put additional money in pocket but the reality is it probably doesn't come close to the profits realized by the commercial development.

I am not suggesting this is wrong. I am all for it. We have a great facility and overall a great focal point for the Glebe.

the problem is that 67's fans face the inconveniences of the logistics of the area. They don't sell enough tickets in advance for OC Transpo to invest in shuttles in the same fashion as the Red Blacks games. Therefore, the 67's end up spinning their wheels trying to promote a team that can't gain traction because of external forces that they have helped create!

I am sure, in time, they will figure it out. Until then, the only true way to have a decent time is to buy full season tickets with parking and eat all that extra cost. Unfortunately for me, my schedule fluctuates too much. I don't mind eating a few tickets now and then but I HATE eating prep-paid parking too!

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I never have any issue with parking on the side streets and walking, except perhaps after a big snowfall when most of the Glebe's streets turn into single lane roads, but that's not an issue at this time of year. I do miss the day of on-site $5 (IIRC) parking when you could hop out of your car and walk directly into the arena, but that's the only thing I miss about the old Lansdowne. I take the bus the rare time I go to a football game (or last summer during the Women's World Cup) but for 67's or Fury games driving is still more convenient.

A poor team and the Cdn Tire Centre move were a perfect storm. It's going to take a successful team or a star player to get the attendance back up to where it was when we had two Memorial Cups (participation) in a pretty short span. OSEG took their eye off the ball but with free tickets for all minor hockey players, they seem to be willing to invest for the long term recovery.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I never have any issue with parking on the side streets and walking, except perhaps after a big snowfall when most of the Glebe's streets turn into single lane roads, but that's not an issue at this time of year. I do miss the day of on-site $5 (IIRC) parking when you could hop out of your car and walk directly into the arena, but that's the only thing I miss about the old Lansdowne. I take the bus the rare time I go to a football game (or last summer during the Women's World Cup) but for 67's or Fury games driving is still more convenient.

A poor team and the Cdn Tire Centre move were a perfect storm. It's going to take a successful team or a star player to get the attendance back up to where it was when we had two Memorial Cups (participation) in a pretty short span. OSEG took their eye off the ball but with free tickets for all minor hockey players, they seem to be willing to invest for the long term recovery.

I'll be honest. The free tickets for kids pisses me off. I go to a single game and get gouged on pricing. I pay ridiculous ticket fees on walkup box office purchases. Other people get kids season tix and pay.

I know they are trying to fill empty seats a adults will join them so it balances the cost. But when it costs me upwards of $90 for 3 tickets and one is a senior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad