Ottawa 67's 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the stars align and we get them all back I would consider trading both Dante and Addison for defensive talent and depht/size on the wings. Keep Midds to guide the young D, and I also would love to get Malette back as this kid is a leader by example. If our window is 2-3 yrs from now that's what I would do as we'll be ok upfront as I expect big contributions from Keating, Sasha, Rymsha and Barron. Add in guys like Fanjoy and I have a good feeling about Pearce next year. He actually reminds me a bit of Addison...similar size, good skater and Addison only came into his own as an 18 y.o.

First, it is not realistic to expect all three to return. I think Salituro is very likely to return. Addison is probably the 2nd most likely. Middleton will probably not return.

All that being said, who knows!

In the end, I don't think you can trade an OA forward for a young'ish D-Man that can log a lot of minutes. If you want a young D-Man that can log a lot of minutes, you need to open up the vault and pay the piper.

The window of opportunity may be 2-3 years from now but you need to make steps forward. IT is likely that they lose in the 1st round this year. We can't have the same result next year and hope to turn a corner the following year and challenge for a championship.

We need to take strides forward. I am ok with drafting a D-Man in the Euro draft but that is always a crap shoot. You simply cannot bank on it, especially if you have a moderately late pick. Now that you can't trade for Euro picks, it makes it even more difficult.

We could draft a D-Man in the first round but based on where we pick, it is unlikely that we obtain a D-Man that will contribute next year. It is also possible that they won't contribute to the level needed the following year.

Make no mistake, regardless of how well players like Hoef have come along, the reality is we cannot rely on them to carry the bulk of the load next year. As decent as Orban has been, he is not a top pair D-Man and neither are the kids. That means we need two guys that can play top pairing if we want to seriously compete next year beyond a first round exit. One may end up being Midds, if we are lucky. The other will need to be traded for. Simple as that.

We obtained a solid package for Konecny. We may need to dig into some of those picks.

Also, keep in mind that we could trade for a 19 year old D-Man that is a strong OA return candidate. IT's not like we have a plethora of solid 19 year olds next year. As of right now, LAzarev, Fanjoy, and Orban are the top three candidates for OA in 2017-2018. That is not saying much.

We are completely fine up front. KEating, Chem, Barron, and Rhym are all here for at least two more seasons. That is a solid front foundation. We are fine in net with Leo the next two seasons assuming he plays an OA year. IT is a luxury that we can focus almost solely on defense!

joshmosh

Oct 1, 2015
First, it is not realistic to expect all three to return. I think Salituro is very likely to return. Addison is probably the 2nd most likely. Middleton will probably not return.

In the end, I don't think you can trade an OA forward for a young'ish D-Man that can log a lot of minutes. If you want a young D-Man that can log a lot of minutes, you need to open up the vault and pay the piper.

The window of opportunity may be 2-3 years from now but you need to make steps forward. IT is likely that they lose in the 1st round this year. We can't have the same result next year and hope to turn a corner the following year and challenge for a championship.

We need to take strides forward. I am ok with drafting a D-Man in the Euro draft but that is always a crap shoot. You simply cannot bank on it, especially if you have a moderately late pick. Now that you can't trade for Euro picks, it makes it even more difficult.

We could draft a D-Man in the first round but based on where we pick, it is unlikely that we obtain a D-Man that will contribute next year. It is also possible that they won't contribute to the level needed the following year.

Make no mistake, regardless of how well players like Hoef have come along, the reality is we cannot rely on them to carry the bulk of the load next year. As decent as Orban has been, he is not a top pair D-Man and neither are the kids. That means we need two guys that can play top pairing if we want to seriously compete next year beyond a first round exit. One may end up being Midds, if we are lucky. The other will need to be traded for. Simple as that.

We obtained a solid package for Konecny. We may need to dig into some of those picks.

Also, keep in mind that we could trade for a 19 year old D-Man that is a strong OA return candidate. IT's not like we have a plethora of solid 19 year olds next year. As of right now, LAzarev, Fanjoy, and Orban are the top three candidates for OA in 2017-2018. That is not saying much.

We are completely fine up front. KEating, Chem, Barron, and Rhym are all here for at least two more seasons. That is a solid front foundation. We are fine in net with Leo the next two seasons assuming he plays an OA year. IT is a luxury that we can focus almost solely on defense!

To be honest I think all three will come back. Middleton was the last pick of the draft, and hasn't signed an entry level deal yet, so I doubt he's that high on the LA depth chart.

Definitely think they'll use the Euro spot on a 17 year old D, who will be here for when we are going for it.

I also agree that we should take a D-Man in the first round of the draft.

Then the D going into next year would be Middleton, Euro, 1st Round Pick, Hoff, Brown, Wilson, Orban, which would be not bad, but not championship material yet. It all depends how good the Euro and 1st Round Pick are.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

All good points but I think Midds is at least 50/50 to return. You also seem pretty cool on our OA's in two years. With another year of development I think Leo and Fanjoy will be very good. A little less sure with Orban but if he can't be a top four you upgrade.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
To be honest I think all three will come back. Middleton was the last pick of the draft, and hasn't signed an entry level deal yet, so I doubt he's that high on the LA depth chart.

Definitely think they'll use the Euro spot on a 17 year old D, who will be here for when we are going for it.

Then the D going into next year would be Middleton, Euro, 1st Round Pick, Hoff, Brown, Wilson, Orban, which would be not bad, but not championship material yet. It all depends how good the Euro and 1st Round Pick are.

IMO you don't necessarily take a D in the first round you take the best player available. Its dangerous to pick for need in the first round as there is usually a big talent drop off after picks 10 to 15 depending on the year. You pick a forward if he's the best. Later you can trade for a D having the bait of an established player and you probably get a better D with ohl credentials rather than have “settled“ in the draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Respectfully, I disagree. A 17 year old Euro and a 16 year old mid first round rookie D-Man would not really add much to the mix. I would say if we went into the year next year with that defense, we would be in serious poo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All good points but I think Midds is at least 50/50 to return. You also seem pretty cool on our OA's in two years. With another year of development I think Leo and Fanjoy will be very good. A little less sure with Orban but if he can't be a top four you upgrade.

Hence why I said that isn't saying much with respect to our OA crop for 2017-2018. I would also say that Fanjoy, although a decent player, would not play top two lines.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
IMO you don't necessarily take a D in the first round you take the best player available. Its dangerous to pick for need in the first round as there is usually a big talent drop off after picks 10 to 15 depending on the year. You pick a forward if he's the best. Later you can trade for a D having the bait of an established player and you probably get a better D with ohl credentials rather than have “settled“ in the draft.

Always best available in the 1st round. Agreed.

Disagree on the trade aspect of things. It's really tough to trade for an established D-Man. Doesn't happen often.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hence why I said that isn't saying much with respect to our OA crop for 2017-2018. I would also say that Fanjoy, although a decent player, would not play top two lines.

Hey 2/3 ain't bad;). I also think you undervalue Fanjoy, look at the jump this year...in two years? If he's third line in two years well we probably have a heck of a team, at least up front. At the end of the day if he's lets say a third line center who gets 25 goals...not far fetched IMO, kills penalties and is a leader...in my book a pretty good OA.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Always best available in the 1st round. Agreed.

Disagree on the trade aspect of things. It's really tough to trade for an established D-Man. Doesn't happen often.

Gotta agree established D men are hard to get but it happens...Staubitz as one example. But it can be done with the right offer and circumstances i.e. a kid wants out.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Agreed, got to use the first rounder on the BPA.

Maybe we get a surprise upside Defenceman to report to us? I have no inside info, but maybe the lure of playing on a good young team aiming to host a Mem Cup could attract somebody like Andrew Peeke or Tommy Miller?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=291905
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=233517

Steven Ruggiero barely played at Providence this year. Maybe the Ducks ask him to get some top line time in the O?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=245150

The top teams in this league get players like these to report annually. If we want to take the next step as a franchise adding one or more of these potential top pairing D would be huge.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Maybe we get a surprise upside Defenceman to report to us? I have no inside info, but maybe the lure of playing on a good young team aiming to host a Mem Cup could attract somebody like Andrew Peeke or Tommy Miller?

Steven Ruggiero barely played at Providence this year. Maybe the Ducks ask him to get some top line time in the O?

The top teams in this league get players like these to report annually. If we want to take the next step as a franchise adding one or more of these potential top pairing D would be huge.

I couldn't agree with you more.

It is these kinds of moves that can make or break chances at a Championship. Without a doubt, Ruggiero would make a difference in the top pairing.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

I'd love Peeke to report as we'd more likely have him for two years. Ruggiero would be great but might have him just one.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd love Peeke to report as we'd more likely have him for two years. Ruggiero would be great but might have him just one.

Anyone reporting, no matter if only one season, buys us time.

It also opens the door for others to report. Sometimes it takes just one to report and then others consider it as a more viable option if that player has a positive result.

DKKD63

Dec 28, 2015
The game will air on channel 460 on Rogers....and at midnight it will play in rogers channel 22.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Watching the highlights and it looks to like the 67s fourth goal shouldn't have counted. The Niagara player was hit from behind near the boards by Tyanulin or Barron (can't tell) who then set up the goal scorer. With two refs can't understand how that's not called.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Watching the highlights and it looks to like the 67s fourth goal shouldn't have counted. The Niagara player was hit from behind near the boards by Tyanulin or Barron (can't tell) who then set up the goal scorer. With two refs can't understand how that's not called.

I thought it might have been a high stick but the refs said it missed Baron big goal in the end .

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Great win tonight, the team battled hard and had a great second period. The Icedogs came out flying in the third, but Leo stood on his head. Barron has been the team's star this playoffs, he's looked like Milan Lucic out there in the first three games! For a 17 year old kid to be standing out against 10 drafted 19 year olds is quite eye opening- I hope that the Sens grab him somewhere in the middle of the draft.

Announced attendance of 4300 pretty good for a Monday! I brought my kids with me and it was good to see so many kids out there today having fun and eating $1 popcorn!

Let's hope for a great game four performance!

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
Did anyone see how Guy got injured? Post game reports said he is gone for the rest of the playoffs, so that was his last OHL game. Big loss in a big win game.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Did anyone see how Guy got injured? Post game reports said he is gone for the rest of the playoffs, so that was his last OHL game. Big loss in a big win game.
Weird play, after he shot the puck in around red line was checked and he got tangled up awkwardly. Didn't fall but his arm braced against the boards. Appeared to be his wrist/shoulder?? Btw was a hockey play not a dirty hit. Big loss to lose one of your 5 go to D's and he was playing well. On the upside more ice for Hoef and Wilson to gain experience.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
A number of 67s players are are getting well deserved props in recent weeks but one that is doesn't get full recognition IMO is Nathan Todd. Since the trade deadline he has quietly delivered game after game and has been a big, instrumental part of the step up Tyanulin and Barron have delivered. Two goals and an assist yesterday. 97 points on 116 regular season games. 14 points in 9 playoff games, eight of which are in the three games this past week.

All this from a kid who was interested but overlooked by the OHL until he was drafted at 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad