Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Victor Mete signs extension (1 year, $1.2M)

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Next to no money for a young defenseman with offensive upside. No harm in this move, see what he's got an reevaluate or trade him later in the year.

Reactions: MrInvidious

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He has a much higher $/square feet than Logan Stanley for sure.

That’s true. Comes at a real up front premium in dollars per square foot of defenceman, but it’s an investment. You really recoup that on the back end, saving on materials for stick length.

Reactions: bobalo16 and HabsQC

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think he is better than advertised. I hope he bulked up a bit this summer. It is a very important season for him (make or break).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Next to no money for a young defenseman with offensive upside. No harm in this move, see what he's got an reevaluate or trade him later in the year.

I like Mete as a potentially effective depth defenceman with the potential to grow into someone who can play up into the Top-4 in a pinch, but I think “offensive upside” is probably a reach. He’s a good puck mover, but he’s got no threat of a shot, and moving the puck up ice is about where his “offensive inclinations” seem to expire. Doesn’t have that attacking instinct. Which is fine...I just wouldn’t bet on him suddenly becoming anything offensively, beyond a few shrapnel point secondary assists off a clean outlet pass.

I think he is better than advertised. I hope he bulked up a bit this summer. It is a very important season for him (make or break).

Is it really a “bulk up” problem though? He doesn’t really strike me as a particularly spindly or light player for his size. He’s just got a very small and compact frame. There’s only so much “bulk” you can drape over that, before it begins to deleteriously affect his one real “strong suit” calling card, in his mobility.

If anything, it seems like he’d probably be best served trying to figure out ways to better avoid putting himself in situations where his incurable lack of strength, length, reach, and leverage, is so detrimental and exploitable. Easier said than done though, obviously. But I don’t necessarily think just piling on the pounds is going to help...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I like Mete as a potentially effective depth defenceman with the potential to grow into someone who can play up into the Top-4 in a pinch, but I think “offensive upside” is probably a reach. He’s a good puck mover, but he’s got no threat of a shot, and moving the puck up ice is about where his “offensive inclinations” seem to expire. Doesn’t have that attacking instinct. Which is fine...I just wouldn’t bet on him suddenly becoming anything offensively, beyond a few shrapnel point secondary assists off a clean outlet pass.

Is it really a “bulk up” problem though? He doesn’t really strike me as a particularly spindly or light player for his size. He’s just got a very small and compact frame. There’s only so much “bulk” you can drape over that, before it begins to deleteriously affect his one real “strong suit” calling card, in his mobility.

If anything, it seems like he’d probably be best served trying to figure out ways to better avoid putting himself in situations where his incurable lack of strength, length, reach, and leverage, is so detrimental and exploitable. Easier said than done though, obviously. But I don’t necessarily think just piling on the pounds is going to help...

Offensive upside on a player on a 1.2 million dollar contract is different than offensive upside on a larger contract.

I don't think anyone is expecting much from the kid. At worst he's a depth signing who doesn't play every game. You can never have enough defensemen.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Fair deal, gets me thinking if there's any weight to a team signing a player slightly above their worth in hopes it puts a bit of pressure on them to outperform their past self. Although maybe 30 years ago before everyone became so entitled.

I think there's still proud athletes out there who really want to be better and win. Most (all) of them have entitled agents though.

Reactions: robsenz

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
AHL/Europe defenceman.
At best he establishes himself as a depth journeyman similar to Yannick Weber.
Although I’d argue Y.Weber>Mete.
He’s a good kid and I wish him plenty of success and progress, but right now, that’s what he is trending towards.
It's true that the team responsible for developing him did a terrible job, but even if he flames out it's just one year.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Is it me or did we just change subjects?

I mean, the initial point was that just because a player had been available on waivers does not necessarily mean the player is not of value or can become more valuable over time, especially as a player in their early 20's. Nick Paul, Mike Hoffman. I don't think this is an irrelevant point.

Mete could very well be nothing more than a depth piece in the NHL that flares out after a few years but I don't think spending $1.2m on an NHL player with the upside that he might possess is an issue.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Pierre Dorion looking at his accomplishments this off-season
2iurpr.jpg

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He's been on waivers three times, though.

Mike Hoffman was too at least once or twice. Doesnt mean that he still is now though.. things change homie...

Every single team has players like younger Nick Paul that never ended up figuring it out. Usually multiple of them under contract at any given time. These players pass through waivers all the time, and it's no ones fault for missing it.

But when that player becomes a full time NHLer at 24yrs old (better late the never right?), the coaches favourite bottom six pet, and isadored by the entire fanbase for their consistent blue collar style of play, and humble attitude - they are no longer a player that all 30 teams would pass on.

Chances are that he wouldn't make it past Bufflao in reality.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
1.2m on a 1 year deal, I don’t think we’ve even reached the cap floor.

Not even slightly concerned by the price - he either performs and gets a raise or he doesn’t, leaves at the end of the season and goes somewhere else and enjoys his pay cheque.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Played well when he came over from Montreal. Good depth d man, great gap control and puck retrieval. Was interesting to see both him and Brännström play for Ottawa at the same time as 5'9 D men. Was quite obvious Brännström has a long way to go from a defensive and puck retrieval stand point when watching Mete play at the same time. Not alot of upside but Mete was a solid pro for Ottawa, one year deal is low risk. He doesn't have Brännströms upside but projected where Brännström needs to be, to play as an NHL regular defensively. I am skeptical Brännström gets there personally, his feet just aren't elite enough to play at that size. I felt much more comfortable with Mete on the ice in every scenario other than on the PP.

Hard to figure out what the sens are doing on the left side right now. They seemingly have one top pair d man and 4 more LD that are all bottom pair. I guess they are hoping someone steps up and takes that 2nd pair LD spot. It's up for Grabs, I wonder who emerges.

Mete, Brännström, Holden or Del Zotto.... Exciting times sens fans haha.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This guy cracked the Habs roster as a teenager, what the hell happened to him?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He is tiny and so is Brannstrom. You need size on your back end if you want to win.

Sanderson and Kleven will replace these two in a year or two. The left side of Ottawa is most likely going to be Chabot-Sanderson-Kleven which in theory should be unreal.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Played well when he came over from Montreal. Good depth d man, great gap control and puck retrieval. Was interesting to see both him and Brännström play for Ottawa at the same time as 5'9 D men. Was quite obvious Brännström has a long way to go from a defensive and puck retrieval stand point when watching Mete play at the same time. Not alot of upside but Mete was a solid pro for Ottawa, one year deal is low risk. He doesn't have Brännströms upside but projected where Brännström needs to be, to play as an NHL regular defensively. I am skeptical Brännström gets there personally, his feet just aren't elite enough to play at that size. I felt much more comfortable with Mete on the ice in every scenario other than on the PP.

Hard to figure out what the sens are doing on the left side right now. They seemingly have one top pair d man and 4 more LD that are all bottom pair. I guess they are hoping someone steps up and takes that 2nd pair LD spot. It's up for Grabs, I wonder who emerges.

Mete, Brännström, Holden or Del Zotto.... Exciting times sens fans haha.

You only wanted brannstrom over mete on the pp? What about when down and trying to tie it up? Which was probably more than half the time. Brannstrom is way more likely to make a sweet pass to set up a goal or put a clapper in from the point.

It's not just when you have a pp that you'd rather brannstrom, it's ANY time you need offense because he's several times better offensively.

Sure, when we're up in the game, then we'd rather have mete, but in case no one noticed, we hardly ever play with the lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00