Confirmed Trade: [OTT/TBL] Sens trade Mike Condon & 2020 6th Rounder to Tampa for Ryan Callahan & 2020 5th

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Basically it was made for the Ottawa owner to spend less cash as condon is making 3 million this year in cash but a cap hit of 2.4. Callahan had a 5.8 cap hit but was only making 4.7 million in cash and insurance is paying 80 percent of the contract. So the Ottawa owner is only paying 947 k in cash to Callahan and he moved condon so it saves him over 2 million dollars in cash. Why Tampa does this because it solves there cap problems this season and can now sign point and Erne and still be under the cap.

But as we know, teams get cap relief for LTIR. Heck the Leafs have 10.6m of LTIR in Horton and Clarkson and it doesn't hinder their ability to spend 81.5m in "active" players. So the argument that Tampa had to rid themselves of 5.8 Callahan in order be compliant to sign Point and Erne doesn't ring true.
Thanks for your analysis of why Ottawa makes the trade, but in effect Tampa has taken on more cap even with a AHL buried Condon.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I really hate these deals! Callahan will never play again so they are basically trading a dead contract for a player who will continue to play. This really needs to be addressed and prevent teams from moving a contact for a player who will likely never play another NHL game.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You read it, but didn‘t understand it, right?
The sens are already paying less than 50M despite there cap of 66M.
The price of picking up Cally‘s contract and enabling Tampa to sign Point is NOT Mike effing Condon.
They should have taken a first round pick, a top prospect or both.

Melnyk should call it a day and sell the sens to Quebec or anywhere.
And Dorion should be ashamed of himself for saving a divisional rival. Okay, not a rival, because the sens are a complete joke.

We have the yotes and the sens and both should not exist. Just blow them up.
How does relocation answer to any of these problems? What a hot garbage take. Pack a lunch.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
But as we know, teams get cap relief for LTIR. Heck the Leafs have 10.6m of LTIR in Horton and Clarkson and it doesn't hinder their ability to spend 81.5m in "active" players. So the argument that Tampa had to rid themselves of 5.8 Callahan in order be compliant to sign Point and Erne doesn't ring true.
Thanks for your analysis of why Ottawa makes the trade, but in effect Tampa has taken on more cap even with a AHL buried Condon.

Tampa did the trade so that they would be cap compliant before the season starts. If you use LTIR then you lose the accrued space going into the deadline. Basically it gave TB flexibility going forward for the rest of the season.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I really hate these deals! Callahan will never play again so they are basically trading a dead contract for a player who will continue to play.

How much playing do you expect Condon to do? He was the third-string goalie on the only team to allow over 300 goals last year. This was a trade of nonplayer for nonplayer. Sure, one might earn his paycheck in the minor leagues while the other earns most of his paycheck from insurance... but this trade, aside from being a financial shell game, was also just a swap of no-longer-NHL-level players.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
How much playing do you expect Condon to do? He was the third-string goalie on the only team to allow over 300 goals last year. This was a trade of nonplayer for nonplayer. Sure, one might earn his paycheck in the minor leagues while the other earns most of his paycheck from insurance... but this trade, aside from being a financial shell game, was also just a swap of no-longer-NHL-level players.
Big difference in one that will continue to play and get paid for doing so than someone who never will.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
So this trade saves Melnyk some money, has he given us any reason to believe he will invest that money back into the team?

At what point will the NHL step in and do something about this owner?

Reactions: Iceman

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Condon's value wasn't very high and there is no place for him in Ottawa so the fact they got him off the books and upgrade a draft pick makes this a good deal. I dont see how anyone would be happy with paying an AHL (potential back up) goalie $3M if they dont have to.

We are a bottom of the league team next year, I am all for EM saving cash if he can as long as it doesn't negatively impact the team.

Its a terrible deal they could have got real assets and dealt with the mistake by buying him out or waiving him to the east coast league. WHO CARES ABOUT THE MONEY they are 13 million below the cap in real dollars. Why would you care about that?! The point of being a fan of a team is cheering for the team to win and improve. They had a chance to improve they did not.

Upgrade the pick 5 spots in the 154th to 159th slot? Who cares. I cant believe people cant wrap their heads around how bad a deal this was given what they could have got. Go watch Tim Mccalifs statement on Tim and Sid if you dont get it, he spells it out very clearly.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Ottawa took on the bigger contract and didnt get any better. How did it serve the sens to improve the team at all? It didnt do that in one iota.

Could argue that they are gearing up for the future. I know Melnyk has done nothing to prove he will spend that money when the time comes but if they truly are rebuilding the team and are strapped for cash, its not a bad idea to limit your dollars spent while rebuilding to help with the rebuild in paying your home grown players once proven. Could also argue that they have just been shooting themselves in the foot with this behavior going forward. I mean what kind of player (on roster or not) wants to be a part of something like that long term? How would you not think, ok Im next as the money saver for Melnyk. Shit situation and I feel for their fans.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Could argue that they are gearing up for the future. I know Melnyk has done nothing to prove he will spend that money when the time comes but if they truly are rebuilding the team and are strapped for cash, its not a bad idea to limit your dollars spent while rebuilding to help with the rebuild in paying your home grown players once proven. Could also argue that they have just been shooting themselves in the foot with this behavior going forward. I mean what kind of player (on roster or not) wants to be a part of something like that long term? How would you not think, ok Im next as the money saver for Melnyk. **** situation and I feel for their fans.

No argument to be made they are actually gearing up to the future. Its a fire sale. The t.v money alone is paying the payroll at this point. They dont have to sell a single ticket to break even.

Ofcourse management is another huge issue, but they arent real professionals with the credentials to be in the positions they are at this level. Which is another factor but really its an owner that wont pay real professionals to do the job, so this is what we get.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Their purpose was not to get better, it was to save on cash. It served that purpose perfectly well.

It served Melnyks purpose and his alone. This isnt good for the league, an owner that is trying to spend as little as possible and collect revenue sharing while destroying the market the team is in doesnt serve anyone even himself.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No argument to be made they are actually gearing up to the future. Its a fire sale. The t.v money alone is paying the payroll at this point. They dont have to sell a single ticket to break even.

Ofcourse management is another huge issue, but they arent real professionals with the credentials to be in the positions they are at this level. Which is another factor but really its an owner that wont pay real professionals to do the job, so this is what we get.

TB has had to deal with some shit owners. The Rays owner right now for example. He wants the team to play half of their games in Mtl just so that he can keep making his money here. Like the Senators, they trade their good players just to save a buck. I think that if you cant compete financially with the other teams, you shouldnt be able to own a professional team. Period.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
TB has had to deal with some **** owners. The Rays owner right now for example. He wants the team to play half of their games in Mtl just so that he can keep making his money here. Like the Senators, they trade their good players just to save a buck. I think that if you cant compete financially with the other teams, you shouldnt be able to own a professional team. Period.
The Lightning has had their own share of terrible owners. Oren Koules and Len Barrie, for example. I remember there being talk of players having fears their paychecks would bounce when those bozos owned the team... The Buccaneers had Hugh Culverhouse, who was the NFL's version of Eugene Melnyk... so I definitely sympathize and empathize with the Sens fans.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
That’s just not true. Condon is damaged overpaid goods.
If Ottawa didn't have budget restrictions, they just would of buried Condon and paid his 3 million dollar contract (like what Tampa will do). They would of then taken on Callahan's contract since they have plenty of cap space and would of gotten a better pick in return. Instead they traded Condon and his 3 million dollar salary and took on a player who's salary is covered by insurance. For that the exchanged a 6th for a 5th and moved up a couple spots in the draft, instead of just getting something like a 4th round pick (like what Toronto got for Clarkson) if they just out right took on Callahan's contract.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
League should put Melnyk on notice that he has to actively try to sell the team within the Ottawa area or the league will buy him out and relocate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad