Confirmed Trade: [OTT/TBL] Sens trade Mike Condon & 2020 6th Rounder to Tampa for Ryan Callahan & 2020 5th

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Are we talking about the same fanbase that couldn't muster up enough fans to show up for 2 playoff games?

And don't give me that boycotting bull****, you either bail on all the games or none of them.

Ottawa is a fickle sports town. I’ve lived here my whole life, I know it’s true. When the team wins, people show up, when they don’t, people stay away. That’s not limited just to Ottawa though. I’ve seen that in other places too.

Not selling out playoff games is rough for any fan base, and it’s not a good look.

There are a lot of die hard hockey fans in Ottawa though. Not all of them are Sens fans though remember. Lots of Leafs and Canadiens fans here too.

I disagree when people say Ottawa isn’t a hockey town. It absolutely is, but right now people are fed up with ownership. Combine that with a losing team, the location of the arena, and the Phoenix pay system fiasco and it’s a recipe for disaster.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Ottawa is a fickle sports town. I’ve lived here my whole life, I know it’s true. When the team wins, people show up, when they don’t, people stay away. That’s not limited just to Ottawa though. I’ve seen that in other places too.

Not selling out playoff games is rough for any fan base, and it’s not a good look.

There are a lot of die hard hockey fans in Ottawa though. Not all of them are Sens fans though remember. Lots of Leafs and Canadiens fans here too.

I disagree when people say Ottawa isn’t a hockey town. It absolutely is, but right now people are fed up with ownership. Combine that with a losing team, the location of the arena, and the Phoenix pay system fiasco and it’s a recipe for disaster.
Your approach to his comment was much nicer lol

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Ottawa has 1 million people, metro-Ottawa has around 1.5 million people.

The Canadian Tire center has a capacity of 17,373 with approximately ~4,000 of them being season ticket holders (though the sens won't confirm or deny the number, it's a reasonably estimate).

The senators are approaching 30 years in Ottawa, that's a long enough time frame for a new generation of fans being born and growing up, and in a few years, a second generation will be born.

How much more time does this team need? They have ~1.5 million people to fill ~13,500 seats in their home games, it's not a hard feat when every other Canadian team does it (in some cases with less).

And yes, I agree with everyone here, Melnyk is a really shit owner but he's also not being given much to work with either. It's just a bad combination all around. I don't blame him for trying to save money right now given the grim future outlook he created. Maybe he'll be willing to spend up to the cap (salary wise) once these younger guys start becoming a real force.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa has 1 million people, metro-Ottawa has around 1.5 million people.

The Canadian Tire center has a capacity of 17,373 with approximately ~4,000 of them being season ticket holders (though the sens won't confirm or deny the number, it's a reasonably estimate).

The senators are approaching 30 years in Ottawa, that's a long enough time frame for a new generation of fans being born and growing up, and in a few years, a second generation will be born.

How much more time does this team need? They have ~1.5 million people to fill ~13,500 seats in their home games, it's not a hard feat when every other Canadian team does it (in some cases with less).

And yes, I agree with everyone here, Melnyk is a really **** owner but he's also not being given much to work with either. It's just a bad combination all around. I don't blame him for trying to save money right now given the grim future outlook he created. Maybe he'll be willing to spend up to the cap (salary wise) once these younger guys start becoming a real force.

Really though, go back and reread his post, it's accurate. Ottawa has always drawn very well, but we're a) fickle and b) fed up with the shit bird owner.

It's all there in his post.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I don't blame him for trying to save money right now given the grim future outlook he created. Maybe he'll be willing to spend up to the cap (salary wise) once these younger guys start becoming a real force.

Everyone forgets he was dropping money to make a run when the team, while still successful, was still in the bottom half of the league when it came to revenue. Him signing Ryan was a signal to fans he was willing to spend. It didn’t work out and now you’re seeing the after affects.

Personal opinion, Ottawa and Eugene dodged a huge bullet with the often Injured EK65 getting shipped to San Jose and signing a 80 million dollar contract. Not a single D since Lidstrom worth 11 million.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Everyone forgets he was dropping money to make a run when the team, while still successful, was still in the bottom half of the league when it came to revenue. Him signing Ryan was a signal to fans he was willing to spend. It didn’t work out and now you’re seeing the after affects.

Personal opinion, Ottawa and Eugene dodged a huge bullet with the often Injured EK65 getting shipped to San Jose and signing a 80 million dollar contract. Not a single D since Lidstrom worth 11 million.
Dodged a bullet? I'll take San Jose and their overpaid Karlsson over Ottawa and their shitty budget team any day.

Reactions: The Macho Man

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Dodged a bullet? I'll take San Jose and their overpaid Karlsson over Ottawa and their ****ty budget team any day.

You had Karlsson though, and the team bailed on him during their most important games in the playoffs.

Why would you want him back if sens fans absolutely refuse to travel 20-40 mins to see this team live? Eugene is making the right moves here. Gut the team since interest has been at an all time low since 2016 and rebuild through the draft, and then (hopefully) spend real dollars on talent for playoff runs.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I, for one, dont forget the money he spent and it's a good point you bring up. He almost never let a player go to free agency before the dark times. I can think of very few he didnt pay to keep.

I think the issue now is we all think he's broke and letting stone and duchene go are big arrows pointing in that direction.

I agree about Karlsson, who is one of my favourite players in the league. This has the potential to be a killer contract sooner rather than later. He's beaten to death before his contract even kicks in. We'll see.

Reactions: Dave Karp

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
You had Karlsson though, and the team bailed on him during their most important games in the playoffs.

Why would you want him back if sens fans absolutely refuse to travel 20-40 mins to see this team live? Eugene is making the right moves here. Gut the team since interest has been at an all time low since 2016 and rebuild through the draft, and then (hopefully) spend real dollars on talent for playoff runs.
20-40 minutes? It takes an hour both ways to get to and from the game from city centre, most of which is crappy driving in rush hour. The experience at the Canadian Tire Centre sucks, it’s gotten so stale. I live in Calgary and the experience is so much better. The team needs a downtown arena badly but sadly that fell through earlier this year.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Its 75 mins from Orleans in the winter during rush hour lmao

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Its 75 mins from Orleans in the winter during rush hour lmao

37bz9m.jpg

Congratulations on mentioning the absolute worst case scenario...also slide your eyes over to my location. Orleans to the Canadian Tire center is not bad at all lmao ffs

In my personal experiences with sens fans I've met, they just don't want to look at the alternatives like taking the bus (which is so f***ing simple) because they need an excuse to not go. Many 'hardcore sens fans' I know have even told me they'd rather just watch the game at home so they can do other things to keep busy during the game, while others say they'd rather watch the highlights in the morning before work.

Hockey is just something else in Ottawa imo.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
37bz9m.jpg

Congratulations on mentioning the absolute worst case scenario...also slide your eyes over to my location. Orleans to the Canadian Tire center is not bad at all lmao ffs

In my personal experiences with sens fans I've met, they just don't want to look at the alternatives like taking the bus (which is so ****ing simple) because they need an excuse to not go. Many 'hardcore sens fans' I know have even told me they'd rather just watch the game at home so they can do other things to keep busy during the game, while others say they'd rather watch the highlights in the morning before work.

Ahh yes, you sound just like the business owner who blames his customer for his failed business. We all know how those types of people do in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: ottawa

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
sens.jpg
When was the last non financially motivated trade for this team? And no, duchene actually saved them money. Any significant hockey trade dates back to Bobby Ryan in 2013, that’s 6 years of cost cutting and berating the fan base. Please go back and then correlate Sens attendance.

Here's some help for you...

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
37bz9m.jpg

In my personal experiences with sens fans I've met, they just don't want to look at the alternatives like taking the bus (which is so ****ing simple) because they need an excuse to not go. Many 'hardcore sens fans' I know have even told me they'd rather just watch the game at home so they can do other things to keep busy during the game, while others say they'd rather watch the highlights in the morning before work.

Says the poster who bashes the Sens, the city and the fans at every opportunity.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

I mean it's not like Orleans is one of the largest neighbourhoods in Ottawa or anything... Also not like the NHL season is like ~80% played during the winter lmao. If 2.5 hours total isn't a bad trip I don't know what is.... Quit shilling for Euge.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Whatever the reason, Melnyk has failed as an owner, and it feels very unlikely things will change while he's in charge. If I were an Ottawa fan, my main gripe would be that he seems to insist on hanging onto the team and being the guy who leads them to the promise land. In reality, ownership and how much it's willing to spend plays a big part in the success of a franchise.

Melnyk essentially sold TB it's own 4th rounder here, or allowed TB to keep it if they saved Melnyk some money. And between the

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
View attachment 248377 When was the last non financially motivated trade for this team? And no, duchene actually saved them money. Any significant hockey trade dates back to Bobby Ryan in 2013, that’s 6 years of cost cutting and berating the fan base. Please go back and then correlate Sens attendance.

You know MS Paint has a very easy and convenient crop option, don't ya?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean it's not like Orleans is one of the largest neighbourhoods in Ottawa or anything... Also not like the NHL season is like ~80% played during the winter lmao. If 2.5 hours total isn't a bad trip I don't know what is.... Quit shilling for Euge.
We got a guy that drives 4 hours one way to go to Preds games, so it's not that bad. When I had Preds season tickets 2.5 hours total was my nightly trip. It's really not a unique thing.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

What's your point? I sit through 2-3 hours of traffic everyday along with hundreds of thousands of others in the GTA alone.

Are people from Ottawa above traffic all of a sudden? I lived in Orleans for 12 years, no one thinks they're too good for traffic aside from sens fans. Anyone commuting from Orleans to dt or (especially) Kanata to dt is already used to traffic, so game day traffic should come as no surprise to them. Sounds to me like they just need a reason to not go to the games.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What's your point? I sit through 2-3 hours of traffic everyday along with hundreds of thousands of others in the GTA alone.

Are people from Ottawa above traffic all of a sudden? I lived in Orleans for 12 years, no one thinks they're too good for traffic aside from sens fans. Anyone commuting from Orleans to dt or (especially) Kanata to dt is already used to traffic, so game day traffic should come as no surprise to them. Sounds to me like they just need a reason to not go to the games.
Just stop,you just sound dumb and even more trollish...The fans have supported the team just fine....The ownership since conception has been the issue....Bryden like EM ,never had the money to spend on the team...Yet even with us consistently never being able to spend even to the middle of the pack ,fan interest has given the team a great TV deal ,and a brand new stadium proposal....

The team needs money to run itself,and not support anymore failed billionaires....Be keep going on like you understand what has transpired

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
View attachment 248377 When was the last non financially motivated trade for this team? And no, duchene actually saved them money. Any significant hockey trade dates back to Bobby Ryan in 2013, that’s 6 years of cost cutting and berating the fan base. Please go back and then correlate Sens attendance.

Am I the only one who wants to know what the blanked out tab is ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad