Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This trade imo is more about depth and I don't see st Louis as a real contender this year.
St Louis isn't a perennial contender, they simply had 1 year of lots of lucky bounces and got contributions.

Tampa is this generations dynasty , just like Chicago or Pittsburgh or LA were of the past.

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
This trade imo is more about depth and I don't see st Louis as a real contender this year.
St Louis isn't a perennial contender, they simply had 1 year of lots of lucky bounces and got contributions.

Tampa is this generations dynasty , just like Chicago or Pittsburgh or LA were of the past.
This narrative should stop. Before the COVID stoppage the Blues were leading the Western Conference in points following their cup win. The certainly didn't "restart" in the bubble in a way that was indicative of their play that year. To say that it was only one good season, however, is objectively false.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I would have rather got a 2nd instead of Brown
Sanford doesn't fetch a 2nd at this time of year. Teams looking to add to their 4th line aren't throwing 2nd rounders at the problem. At the deadline maybe but right now when teams are fighting to become cap compliant and everyone thinks their young guys are going to take the next step and every team is a playoff contender I doubt that was ever an option.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Sanford doesn't fetch a 2nd at this time of year. Teams looking to add to their 4th line aren't throwing 2nd rounders at the problem. At the deadline maybe but right now when teams are fighting to become cap compliant and everyone thinks their young guys are going to take the next step and every team is a playoff contender I doubt that was ever an option.
Brown too. Maybe he's worth more during the season once injuries set-in, someone has a spot for him, and Ottawa didn't lose him to waivers. Right now though, with every team thinking they have a dozen budding superstars, no one was going to give up a good pick for a guy who takes up an NHL roster spot unless he was clearly better than whatever else the team had.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

We'll tell Brady you said hi.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

You couldn’t name 5 teams with a better 4 lines than the Blues.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think Logan Brown has a chance to work his way into this line-up, but its not a shoe-in that he'll make the roster out of camp. If the Blues try to send him down during when all teams are making their final camp cuts, will Brown get claimed off waivers? If so, who claims him (and keeps him on their NHL roster)?

Brown seems pretty pumped about getting traded to his home-town team. Its just a deep roster that doesn't have a lot of room if Kostin is on the team, and maybe Neal (or possibly Frolik) on his PTO gets a slot. I don't think it does Brown a lot of good to be a spare forward getting scratched all the time. He needs to play games (AHL) and then get called up.

That 4th round pick is probably going to end up being the more valuable asset. But maybe Brown can sneak through waivers.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Tampa has been superior the past couple of seasons yes. The Blues have missed the playoffs once in the last 10 years and had 94 points in that season.

They have been perennial contenders for most of the franchise’s existence. If your talking about a powerhouse team though versus a contender.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This narrative should stop. Before the COVID stoppage the Blues were leading the Western Conference in points following their cup win. The certainly didn't "restart" in the bubble in a way that was indicative of their play that year. To say that it was only one good season, however, is objectively false.

How is it false exactly? What have the blues done since there lucky season that got them to the Cup?
There not as good as you want to believe they are.

Last 2 cup winners Tampa and they are a dynasty team that has proven themselves.

Sorry blues fans your team isn't a powerhouse legitimate cup contender or a dynasty team.
You can make all the excuses you want but in reality there merely a playoff team.

When your team can reach the western conference finals 5 times in 7 years and win 3 cups then I'll concede the Blues are a legit dynasty/ cup contender

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
How is it false exactly? What have the blues done since there lucky season that got them to the Cup?

Last 2 cup winners Tampa and they are a dynasty team that has proven themselves.

Sorry blues fans your team isn't a powerhouse legitimate cup contender or a dynasty team.
You can make all the excuses you want but in reality there merely a playoff team.

When your team can reach the western conference finals 5 times in 7 years and win 3 cups then I'll concede the Blues are a legit dynasty/ cup contender
not sure how you're taking the quote of "having a good season" to be "dynasty". don't think anyone has said the Blues are a "dynasty" team.
but they ARE still very good, when healthy (which did not happen very often last year).
The West is a very competitive division, and yet they still show very well. to say they'll be lucky to make the playoffs is just offbase IMO

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

What is "false" is your illustration that apparently acknowledges no middle ground between a "dynasty" and a team that just had a "lucky season". The 2019 champs were a Cup favorite on paper (not necessarily the favorite; probably in the Top 3-5 range) that took 3 months to gel and played poorly until they did. Once they figured it out, they exceeded expectations on an historic run, but few knowledgeable fans would have been completely shocked in September 2018 if you told them the Blues would win the Cup that season. The path to get there was unusual, but on the whole it was far from "lucky" but I sense you probably know this and are too dug into your argument.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Logan Brown has a chance to work his way into this line-up, but its not a shoe-in that he'll make the roster out of camp. If the Blues try to send him down during when all teams are making their final camp cuts, will Brown get claimed off waivers? If so, who claims him (and keeps him on their NHL roster)?

Brown seems pretty pumped about getting traded to his home-town team. Its just a deep roster that doesn't have a lot of room if Kostin is on the team, and maybe Neal (or possibly Frolik) on his PTO gets a slot. I don't think it does Brown a lot of good to be a spare forward getting scratched all the time. He needs to play games (AHL) and then get called up.

That 4th round pick is probably going to end up being the more valuable asset. But maybe Brown can sneak through waivers.

I'd be surprised, personally, if Brown snuck through waivers. I feel like there are at least a few teams who would have little reason not to give him a real try.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
What is "false" is your illustration that apparently acknowledges no middle ground between a "dynasty" and a team that just had a "lucky season". The 2019 champs were a Cup favorite on paper (not necessarily the favorite; probably in the Top 3-5 range) that took 3 months to gel and played poorly until they did. Once they figured it out, they exceeded expectations on an historic run, but few knowledgeable fans would have been completely shocked in September 2018 if you told them the Blues would win the Cup that season. The path to get there was unusual, but on the whole it was far from "lucky" but I sense you probably know this and are too dug into your argument.

The year st Louis won the cup they were in dead last place in the division and yes they put together a great run to make the playoffs then win the Cup but as far as them being a legitimate powerhouse contender is short of reality.

It's not that hard to make the playoffs especially with the way the nhl changed up its points .
I'm not a tampa fan but I can honestly say they have a ton of skill and are a great team and proven.

You won a up 2 years ago and haven't really progressed as a legitimate cup contender that people can get behind and say st Louis has x y and z talent and is a dangerous team.

I'm a chicago fan and on paper chicago has vastly improved will they win the Cup doubtful but they have the skill and experience that for sure will earn them a playoff spot.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The year st Louis won the cup they were in dead last place in the division and yes they put together a great run to make the playoffs then win the Cup but as far as them being a legitimate powerhouse contender is short of reality.

It's not that hard to make the playoffs especially with the way the nhl changed up its points .
I'm not a tampa fan but I can honestly say they have a ton of skill and are a great team and proven.

You won a up 2 years ago and haven't really progressed as a legitimate cup contender that people can get behind and say st Louis has x y and z talent and is a dangerous team.

I'm a chicago fan and on paper chicago has vastly improved will they win the Cup doubtful but they have the skill and experience that for sure will earn them a playoff spot.
Which team in the West had the most regular season wins in the 2010s, culminating in a Cup? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the Sharks (#2) or Blackhawks (#3). Another hint, it wasn't the Ducks (#4), the Predators (#5) or the two-time Cup winning Kings (#6).

The Blues had a truly elite #1 defenseman that coincided with this run, similar how they had that one year with Scott Stevens and then a run with Pronger & Macinnis. Now it's the one missing piece. On paper they are not contenders for this reason but if somehow they acquire one through some things breaking their way then they would be.

They were "dead last" that season in the sense that their regular season point percentage got as low as 24th before they finished in 13th. They had 5 or 6 games in hand on about 7 teams.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t know, maybe the Blues were never True NHL Playoff Contenders ™️, including the year they won the Stanley Cup.

On a more serious note, the Blues were a clear value bet in 2018-19. I was in Vegas against my will and put $100 on them when the bet sheet had them at 40:1 (+4000) because those were ridiculously good odds. While this is might seem like humble brag, that clearly was obvious to everyone because after I placed the bet, I saw that the odds dropped to 26:1 (+2600) already.

I don’t bet much so I can’t swear to it, but +2600 would probably have put them around bottom of the top ten contenders in terms of odds. They were a good value bet because it seemed like they were the playoff contender with the biggest payout. They were much more of a long-shot before the emergence of Binnington though.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I think Buffalo grabs him.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know much about Sanford but if he can play decent defensively and pitch in with 15 goals then he's already better than Logan Brown. Plus if he stinks, he only has a short term contract.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Which team in the West had the most regular season wins in the 2010s, culminating in a Cup? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the Sharks (#2) or Blackhawks (#3). Another hint, it wasn't the Ducks (#4), the Predators (#5) or the two-time Cup winning Kings (#6).

The Blues had a truly elite #1 defenseman that coincided with this run, similar how they had that one year with Scott Stevens and then a run with Pronger & Macinnis. Now it's the one missing piece. On paper they are not contenders for this reason but if somehow they acquire one through some things breaking their way then they would be.

They were "dead last" that season in the sense that their regular season point percentage got as low as 24th before they finished in 13th. They had 5 or 6 games in hand on about 7 teams.

If that's your best arguement, it's really a stretch to think a blues team that got lucky enough to make the playoffs then ended up winning it with there 1st cup but hasn't done anything spectacular prior to or after . Chicago went to 5 western conference finals and 3 of them moved on to win 3 cups in 7 years . Regular season wins are great but in the end the only true testament is winning the Cup.

You can talk about how good there defense was in the past but it obviously wasn't that great to move them deep into the playoffs or even sniff the stanley cup.

I get it st Louis is your team , but in all honesty st Louis is just a avg team nothing special about the teams skill level in fact the only player who is your superstar tarasenko, the team is looking to move him .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad