Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Brown/Sanford trade is interesting and really can't be evaluated yet. To early. My initial response was that the Blues got fleeced as I was not a fan of Brown because he just looked like a little kid scared to get hit. I was even more disappointed because I watched his old man play and Jeff Brown was not a punk. I just shook my head and thought we must have been dumping salary. Since he came to town I think his old man and the coach basically told him man up or get used to bus rides to the middle of nowhere. I think they lit a fire under his ass and right now he is playing like his career depends on it. The question is can he keep that up? If he does the Blues run away with this trade. If not well it was a salary dump. Sanford is a JAG player.

I don't think you can ever evaluate the trade. It's a minor deal, and it will always be a minor deal. Shuffling junk for junk.

Even if Brown somehow blossoms into a decent NHLer, it was never going to happen in Ottawa. Plus he literally just cleared waivers. Does that mean 30 other teams also lost out on this deal if this were to happen?

And on the other side of the deal, Sanford is most likely going UFA this upcoming off season. So, at that point, the trade also no longer becomes relevant.

Considering 30 teams has had or will soon have a free shot at either of these players, the trade is going to be a wash. The only way it you can declare a winner is if one of the two clearly outperforms the other this season, which is clearly not the case.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Brown has looked great in St. Louis. The only reason he didn't make the team out of camp was the Blues' absurd depth and the fact that management correctly predicted they could sneak him through waivers at the start of the season. He looked great in the preseason and has been very solid since getting called up. Logan Brown is a legit NHLer, glad to have him.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Brown has looked great in St. Louis. The only reason he didn't make the team out of camp was the Blues' absurd depth and the fact that management correctly predicted they could sneak him through waivers at the start of the season. He looked great in the preseason and has been very solid since getting called up. Logan Brown is a legit NHLer, glad to have him.

He didn't look great in the preseason. He looks much better now.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He didn't look great in the preseason. He looks much better now.
He absolutely did look good in the preseason IMO. Management correctly guessed they could sneak him through waivers, but at the time I was surprised he got sent down. I thought he made the team out of camp.

There's been a lot of narrative about Brown that I frankly disagree with and doesn't match what I've seen when I've watched him play. Maybe he looks a little more comfortable now after adjusting to the Blues system/organization, but I don't think he looks significantly different vs preseason. He'll never be a power forward, but the narrative that he's afraid of contract or whatever never matched with my personal eye test. He doesn't have the constant motor and quick feet of a smaller guy but he's not a lazy player. I've been very happy with his play from day one, despite a lot of people crapping on him.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Wow. Looking at browns stats, he has never played 60 games for a team in a season ever. (Or even a combination of teams lol)

Reactions: Altimus

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
He absolutely did look good in the preseason IMO. Management correctly guessed they could sneak him through waivers, but at the time I was surprised he got sent down. I thought he made the team out of camp.

There's been a lot of narrative about Brown that I frankly disagree with and doesn't match what I've seen when I've watched him play. Maybe he looks a little more comfortable now after adjusting to the Blues system/organization, but I don't think he looks significantly different vs preseason. He'll never be a power forward, but the narrative that he's afraid of contract or whatever never matched with my personal eye test. He doesn't have the constant motor and quick feet of a smaller guy but he's not a lazy player. I've been very happy with his play from day one, despite a lot of people crapping on him.

He had a good period here or there, but he never had a good full game. No narrative, just what I saw. I didn't think he DOVE AWAY FROM CONTACT the way some fans claimed, but he looks significantly more competitive now. Perhaps it was just because that was the preseason, but I think everyone rightly wanted to see a lot more from a player who was trying to win a spot on a deep roster.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021

I can tell you that all of these narratives about Brown have been around since he played in the OHL and they were true then, as I'm sure they are true now. He would pick and choose when to give an effort and that was the most maddening aspect of him as a player. You could predict it actually, if his team was going to be playing against the team his dad coached he would be a monster, a force of nature. Any other time he'd be a disinterested passenger. That says a lot about this kid's mental game and is the reason the Blues got him for a sack of magic beans.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I can tell you that all of these narratives about Brown have been around since he played in the OHL and they were true then, as I'm sure they are true now. He would pick and choose when to give an effort and that was the most maddening aspect of him as a player. You could predict it actually, if his team was going to be playing against the team his dad coached he would be a monster, a force of nature. Any other time he'd be a disinterested passenger. That says a lot about this kid's mental game and is the reason the Blues got him for a sack of magic beans.
I bet OTT WISHES they had gotten the beans instead of Sanford

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sanford is the opposite of good. The trade deadline can't come fast enough so we can flip him for a 4th rounder.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Sanford is the opposite of good. The trade deadline can't come fast enough so we can flip him for a 4th rounder.
it's maddening, isn't it? has enough tools to be a good player, but... was really thinking him getting traded to OTT and getting ice time would wake him up, but...

dunno anyone was happier than me when that trade was announced

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca