Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Senators sign Michael Haley (1 year, 700k, 2-way)

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
L
Been a hockey fan my whole life; witnessed the Big Bad Bruins, Broad Street Bullies, the Probert & Kocur combo in Detroit etc. Have also seen countless “enforcers” take their own lives far too early. So my appetite for fights isn’t what it used to be. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the odd fight between “hockey players” that is a bi-product of game action and a fierce desire to compete.

Having said that, I understand that hockey is a physical and emotional game... I played; not at the professional level; and fought, so I appreciate that having the ability to respond and stand up for yourself and teammates is preferable to relying on stick work to “even” the score. I really have no desire to watch players who’s sole skill is to punch faces. The sooner the “goon” is totally eliminated from the game, the better in my opinion.
Your generalizing all enforcers. Look at stu grimson dave schultz tie domi ext. Bunch of players doing fine but you pick the few sad examples. A lot of dentist and farmers have high suicide rates. So what do you suppose we do about them?

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the odd fight between “hockey players” that is a bi-product of game action and a fierce desire to compete.

Think you mean by-product.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I keep seeing "[OTT] Senators sign M" in the little mobile preview and thinking it's Mike Hoffman. The only way I can understand a thread about Michael Haley going on three pages and five days is because others are doing that too.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I keep seeing "[OTT] Senators sign M" in the little mobile preview and thinking it's Mike Hoffman. The only way I can understand a thread about Michael Haley going on three pages and five days is because others are doing that too.

Or it is such a terrible off season so far that THIS is the biggest story.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Or it is such a terrible off season so far that THIS is the biggest story.

There's been plenty of action and there's still plenty of moves that'll happen prior to the start of the season. Personally I think this offseason is a lot more exciting than previous years.

Of course there's always a period in August where the isn't much happening - like every single year and this year is no differrent other than its in November/december rather than August/September.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Typical snowflake response. I like fighting i just want it to be skilled players. Look at some guys junior stats. Peter Worrell scott parker both guys put up points. Who are you to say a guy has skill enough. If you get to the nhl you can at least play a bit.

Typical meathead response, watches hockey for the fighting when there many other aspects of the game that should captivate your interest more.

Then points to guys like Peter Worrell and Scott Parker as guys who must have skill because they scored in junior and made the NHL. They scored in junior because the 16 and 17 year olds they were playing against were too intimidated to go near them. They didn’t score in the NHL, hell they weren’t even close to point a game players in the minors. Their only “skill” was the ability to punch faces.

So yes, if actual skill guys who can actually play the game occasionally drop the gloves then I’m fine with it, but if it is a plug going out for his one shift to fight, then no thanks

Reactions: Quicklime

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Glad to see him get a contract. Not sure how anyone can complain about this guy. Still does his job well enough to play 4th line and is an asset to an AHL club.

Reactions: Quicklime

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Typical meathead response, watches hockey for the fighting when there many other aspects of the game that should captivate your interest more.

Then points to guys like Peter Worrell and Scott Parker as guys who must have skill because they scored in junior and made the NHL. They scored in junior because the 16 and 17 year olds they were playing against were too intimidated to go near them. They didn’t score in the NHL, hell they weren’t even close to point a game players in the minors. Their only “skill” was the ability to punch faces.

So yes, if actual skill guys who can actually play the game occasionally drop the gloves then I’m fine with it, but if it is a plug going out for his one shift to fight, then no thanks

As much as I agree, as an Islanders fan, I can still look at the Haley/Konopka/Snow Phase as “we will not be pushed around.”

Sometimes, it needs to be done. George McFly (the Senators) has a fist - if needed.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It’s actually embarrassing for the league that clowns like this keep getting contracts. Imagine being a young guy in the Senators organization and being told your being sent down so they can keep this plug around?!

Pretty hard to imagine because it likely won't happen. He's going to the AHL to work down there, Ottawa became pretty tough this summer, there's no need for him at the nhl level.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Pretty hard to imagine because it likely won't happen. He's going to the AHL to work down there, Ottawa became pretty tough this summer, there's no need for him at the nhl level.
He's a body if injuries/covid are rampant. He's also a pretty decent goal scorer at the 'A' level.

I think some on this site forget that the pro teams have multiple other squads they need players to fill.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
It’s actually embarrassing for the league that clowns like this keep getting contracts. Imagine being a young guy in the Senators organization and being told your being sent down so they can keep this plug around?!

I bet the young talented guys are happy there is someone who can throw down so they don’t have to, and someone who can stick up for them when they get roughed up as kids in more mature league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattb124

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
You mean like Matt Cooke blatantly running into Rick DiPietro in a 3-0 hockey game with less than 20 seconds to go?

Perhaps Cooke was just trying to help NYI get out of that atrocious contact they gave DiPietro? Besides if Rick was so worse for wear after the alleged Cooke shenanigans, why did he have that gigantic grin on his face before he got knocked out after challenging Brent Johnson to a goalie fight?

Some folks are interesting, they will rationalize outlandish actions by goons to deliberately injure other players but absolutely lose it when an opposing agitator agitates like any other agitator would or one of their players gets knocked out after that same player challenges another player to a fight.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don’t mind a good hockey fight; I just want the players to actually be able to play the game a bit. Give me Jamie Benn, the Tkachuk boys, Shea Weber... anyone who can play and drop the gloves occasionally.

If you enjoy guys that can JUST fight, then your not really a fan of the game, just fight. Stick to MMA or boxing.

The problem is, the guys who can play and fight, are also disappearing.

Sure, the guys like Stu Grimson that would get 5 points every 200 games don't belong in the NHL, but gone are the guys like Chris Neil or tie Domi or who can fight 15 times a year and put up 20-30 points.

For every goon that couldn't skate, there was a goon who could actually play a regular shift and drop the gloves with anyone at any time. Why isn't there a place for the latter anymore?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He's a body if injuries/covid are rampant. He's also a pretty decent goal scorer at the 'A' level.

I think some on this site forget that the pro teams have multiple other squads they need players to fill.

Exactly. He'll play 90% of games in the AHL and be a call up if need be.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
The problem is, the guys who can play and fight, are also disappearing.

Sure, the guys like Stu Grimson that would get 5 points every 200 games don't belong in the NHL, but gone are the guys like Chris Neil or tie Domi or who can fight 15 times a year and put up 20-30 points.

For every goon that couldn't skate, there was a goon who could actually play a regular shift and drop the gloves with anyone at any time. Why isn't there a place for the latter anymore?

I think there absolutely is a place for guys like that; guys like Tom Wilson and Zack Kassian who hold the other team accountable when they cheapshots at their teammates. At the same time they can give you 15 meaningful minutes a game and 10 - 15 goals and 30 - 40 points.

Haley isn’t that; he’s not an NHL caliber player, he’ll you could argue he’s not an AHL caliber player.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I think there absolutely is a place for guys like that; guys like Tom Wilson and Zack Kassian who hold the other team accountable when they cheapshots at their teammates. At the same time they can give you 15 meaningful minutes a game and 10 - 15 goals and 30 - 40 points.

Haley isn’t that; he’s not an NHL caliber player, he’ll you could argue he’s not an AHL caliber player.

Not if you looked at his stats. He's scoring at an 18g/82 game pace going back 10 years in the AHL. That's pace is over 334 games played. When you add in the physical play, it's pretty hard to argue he's not an AHL player.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Of course Haley isn't that lol

If there's a place for those other guys mentioned, why are there so few of them around? Almost every team used to have 1-3 guys that could play and score and weren't scared to fight countless times a year...now you can only name a handful of players who can play that game in the entire league.

I get not icing a guy who couldn't do anything but fight. What happened to the skilled guys with a mean streak?

You'd figure there would be tons of drafted guys who are big and strong and can play the game but love to hit and fight.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Been a hockey fan my whole life; witnessed the Big Bad Bruins, Broad Street Bullies, the Probert & Kocur combo in Detroit etc. Have also seen countless “enforcers” take their own lives far too early. So my appetite for fights isn’t what it used to be. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the odd fight between “hockey players” that is a bi-product of game action and a fierce desire to compete.

Having said that, I understand that hockey is a physical and emotional game... I played; not at the professional level; and fought, so I appreciate that having the ability to respond and stand up for yourself and teammates is preferable to relying on stick work to “even” the score. I really have no desire to watch players who’s sole skill is to punch faces. The sooner the “goon” is totally eliminated from the game, the better in my opinion.

The goon is eliminated. No longer will you see some 6'6, 240 pound guy who has 2 points in 70 games with 220 PIM..

Jul 6, 2016
How come guys like Haley keep getting NHL contracts ? They are useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad