Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Senators sign Chris Kelly (1 year, $900k)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
That's really sad...

He was the Bruins board whipping boy for the last few years. Many only saw his cap hit and let it cloud their view of what he brings to the table night in and night out, on and off the ice.

He was criminally underrated by many here in Boston and while it was time to move on, he is a big loss for the guys in the room.

He's my favorite player and I am going to miss him but I am glad he's going home. He deserves to go out on his own terms. Take care of him up there.

Thank You Kells for everything you brought to the Bruins!

Viva La Cage!!!

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Why though? This trade makes no sense.

Or perhaps they want to start Lazar in Bingie. If so I approve, since his development has stood still for quite a while now.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Nice addition to the 4th line. Hopefully he can still kill penalties.

That is still his strength. It is still going to be wait and see how he is when the season starts, but at less tha $1 million he could be a very good pick up.

I wish him good luck back in Ottawa and I wish I could personally thank him for his time in Boston.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
For 900k, I really don't see why so many Bruins fans are so happy about it, unless they were afraid of Sweeney overpaying him on a multi-year deal...

If Sweeney let him play for free we would not be happy. Its his time on ice vs letting anyone else preferable a young guy take it. After 2 horrendous injuries he may have been better off retiring. Nothing at all about his heart or effort or locker room presence. A favourite player that is taken away from the coach who cannot help himself. He would play Kelly over Ovie, Patrick Kane and Crosby. Wish him all the best and he was an awesome Bruin. Its not that we lost Kelly its that we gained whoever will take over for him.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Oh yeah what a relief!!!! 900 k for defensively responsible left handed center that can play wing and has 3 cup final appearances that is decent in the dot. Good lord I wouldn't want to break the bank on a player like that.

Yes it is! I wouldn't pay Kelly $500,000. He's done and has been done for two years and that was BEFORE his injury.

Was a great Bruin, time to move on with younger options.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
low risk-low reward. Has an opportunity to be the experience we needed on the Sens bottom line. Has been slowed down by injuries and age but if he can provide the experience and defensive instincts we know he has then he'll be a minor but nice piece imo

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
I was hoping he would accept a position at Providence as a player coach if he wanted to play again. I think he is going make an excellent coach one day as he is already groomed for that.

Jerry Aldini

Oct 2, 2009
Toronto
900K, awesome, liking this too:

“I started skating at the beginning of March, and from March through May, before I took a break,†said Kelly. “I was fully cleared (to return) in June and I was on the ice again (Wednesday) and back working out. Everything feels great.â€

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If he can be effective then it's a solid signing for Ottawa.

This could allow us to have our solid prospects like Paul and Dzingel start the year in the AHL which is probably for the best unless Paul impresses at camp.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Good luck and great thanks to Kelly. Hope his leg has healed up well. Wish him nothing but the best. He'll be an awesome addition to Sens room -- particularly for the young guys.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yikes CK taking a lot of flack from Bruins fans, what's with the hate, didn't the guy help you folks bring home a cup in 2011?

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
Yikes CK taking a lot of flack from Bruins fans, what's with the hate, didn't the guy help you folks bring home a cup in 2011?

I'm pretty sure every Bruin fan in this thread has thanked Kelly for what he did for this team. If you read back, the reason we all wanted him gone was to protect against Claude using him in extra situations(ie. down a goal with a minute late, on top lines when a young player makes a single mistake etc).

Maybe some actually hated the player, but I'd say the overwhelming majority(98,99%?) hated the contract 3M/4 Years infinitely more than they disliked Kelly himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad