Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Senators sign Chris Kelly (1 year, $900k)

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Hope he plays well for you guys. Really cool to see him go back to Ottawa.

And thank god Sweeney for staying away. I can speak for all the Bruins fans on our board that we didn't have much faith he would :laugh:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Happy with this low key signing. Kelly was always a smart player and a hard worker. Looked like he ha a solid season two years ago.

Definitely a good signing at that price. The real question is whether or not his body holds up. Back injuries, coupled with the fact that he snapped his femur in a non contact injury last year scare the hell out of me. I wish him the best back in Ottawa!.

Kuba at one point had a back surgery, followed shortly by a broken leg. When he came back, he played like he'd been hit by a car. The year after, he bounced back nicely. Hoping Kelly is at a point where that's a possibility.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Oh yeah what a relief!!!! 900 k for defensively responsible left handed center that can play wing and has 3 cup final appearances that is decent in the dot. Good lord I wouldn't want to break the bank on a player like that.

So you need to know Julien if he had him back would play him on the top lines through out the game. Sit younger better deserving prospects so he could play his favourite son. Of course you assume its about money, this is what happens when you do not know. His last few years he has a couple severve injuries and at his age was slowing down before that. Good for him, like I said before, just glad its not Boston. I am sure a lot of Bruins fans thought for sure he was coming back to bump another young guy out.

To put in perspective. He was making 3 million as a 4th line center, value wise. This is like the Oilers finding out Ference went somewhere else or Sabre fans trading away Evander Kane or the sens keeping Philips or Alfie 2 years longer then it should be. This is not a negative on the guy but on how the coach played him and we assumed he was going retire and go into coaching. He does not fit the rebuild and would bounce Spooner off the team.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Thank goodness. He is a bad hockey player now.

Overpaid for years but always gave it his all and his prime years with Boston were very good.

I'd expect him to be more like Marco Sturm after his injuries than a miracle come back story.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Stand up guy. Happy we had him, happy he will be able to retire with his original team. Best of luck to him.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Respect contract from the Sens to give him a good send-off season

i like it. I imagine itll be his last and he'll transition into the org after

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yay! Ottawa finally did something!
(Sorry Blunden)

1 year. Vet presence. Cheap deal.
I like it. (Yes, I am a Leafs fan, but genuinely, as a hockey fan, I like it)

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Kelly gone elsewhere?
science-of-sound-interior-1.jpg

Useless offensively, overrated defensively.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ottawa is clearly transitioning towards speed and puck possession :sarcasm:

I like Kelly... hope he has something left

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I wish Chris Kelly the best of luck in Ottawa, good team guy, but as a Bruins fan I am very happy about this, I was afraid Sweeney would sign him to a 3-4 year deal around $3M AAV. Kelly is good in the locker room, but he has two bad legs and a bad back now, think he would be better off coaching at this point.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
For 900k, I really don't see why so many Bruins fans are so happy about it, unless they were afraid of Sweeney overpaying him on a multi-year deal...

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Ya that's an excellent signing. Only downside is I guess it's fairly clear now that White won't be playing this year in the NHL.

Turris
Zibanejad
Pageau
Kelly/Lazar

That works.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Ya that's an excellent signing. Only downside is I guess it's fairly clear now that White won't be playing this year in the NHL.

Turris
Zibanejad
Pageau
Kelly/Lazar

That works.

It's already been said that White is going back to college.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The reason Bruins fans are so happy is because we watched two years of him out in key defensive situations and he did stuff like this.

I mean, maybe consider getting a bit closer to Sidney Crosby with 2 seconds left.

And he's gone further downhill in the two years since this.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
For 900k, I really don't see why so many Bruins fans are so happy about it, unless they were afraid of Sweeney overpaying him on a multi-year deal...

Probably just afraid of Claude Julien's loyalty to him as a player and what that might mean if he can't play anymore. Under a different coach, I would have considered bringing him back as a possible #4 C or LW candidate. I think his legs are probably shot. Maybe he still has something in the tank in a limited role though. Kind of in the same spot with Seidenberg before the bought him out. Too much respect and loyalty in the room and on the coaching staff to have him relegated to spare part duty.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
a pros pro... but a little bit wasted on a non playoff team. i feel bad he has been hurt and i feel he is going to prove he has gas left in the tank.

good signing but maybe should have been on a better team... but if he wanted to go home then im happy for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad