Proposal: OTT-PHI: Pinto for Bonk

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
:sens D, Oliver Bonk

:flyers C, Shane Pinto

Flyers just dealt a young center for a RD and need a future top 2 center badly, maybe more than any other team in the league.

Sens may be dealing Chychrun shortly, there's a hole at 2nd pairing RD now and in the future, and they have a surplus of young centers in Stutzle, Norris, Pinto and Greig.

Pinto could also considered a bit of a deadline acquisition for a Flyers team significantly outperforming expectations and looking like a potential playoff team.

He's not needed this year for the Sens, who are significantly underperforming expectations and have no chance of making the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Reactions: dirtydanglez

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I mean Flyers are 2pts away from NYR for #1 in Metro.
I want to see how this group does long term.

We have Cates, Brink, Foerster, Frost developing. Does not mean I do not like Pinto.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainpaxil

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Wait, so your problem with my post was saying that Pinto has 2nd line center potential?

Bonk doesn't have the realistic upside to make the gamble worth giving up Pinto. Pinto is significantly further along than Bonk, and without the potential for a 'home run', Pinto holds more value. My gripe was the use of potential, without considering how far along they are to actually reaching it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
:sens D, Oliver Bonk

:flyers C, Shane Pinto

Flyers just dealt a young center for a RD and need a future top 2 center badly, maybe more than any other team in the league.

Sens may be dealing Chychrun shortly, there's a hole at 2nd pairing RD now and in the future, and they have a surplus of young centers in Stutzle, Norris, Pinto and Greig.

Pinto could also considered a bit of a deadline acquisition for a Flyers team significantly outperforming expectations and looking like a potential playoff team.

He's not needed this year for the Sens, who are significantly underperforming expectations and have no chance of making the playoffs.

Thoughts?
Terrible for Ottawa.

Reactions: bert and dumbdick

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Bonk doesn't have the realistic upside to make the gamble worth giving up Pinto. Pinto is significantly further along than Bonk, and without the potential for a 'home run', Pinto holds more value. My gripe was the use of potential, without considering how far along they are to actually reaching it.

Bonk has similar upside to someone like Zub, but with a bit more offense.

Pinto is further along in development, but I don't know if he has more upside.

I'd trade a 40-50 point two-way 2nd line center for a 30-40 point two-way 2nd pairing RD, which I think is a fair projection for both players.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Whether it's fair on value is another question, but more fundamentally it's a bad move for the Senators. They're the worst 5v5 defensive team in the NHL, largely because of their one-way forwards. They need Pinto to develop into that two-way force who takes hard minutes. They can't trade him.

Reactions: bert and Cowumbus

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Whether it's fair on value is another question, but more fundamentally it's a bad move for the Senators. They're the worst 5v5 defensive team in the NHL, largely because of their one-way forwards. They need Pinto to develop into that two-way force who takes hard minutes. They can't trade him.

You know what would help prevent goals? A quality shutdown RD.

Sens have Zub and then nothing besides JBD, who is a bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: swiftwin

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think the value is actually terrible far off. A top RHD prospect for a young, emerging potential Top-6 Center is certainly in the right ballpark.

But i'm not sure it really works great for either team in terms of timelines. I don't think the Flyers are necessarily in a big hurry to get "older", even in minor increments. And on the other end, Bonk is probably a lot further off than what the Senators would likely prefer in a RHD where they need help now more than a few years from now. Especially since they could very much use Pinto right now as well.

So while the value isn't necessarily bad, i don't think either team actually pulls the trigger on this.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Pinto I dont see better than a 40-45 pt good PK 3C
He scored 20 goals as a rookie coming off an entire lost sesson due to injury.

Do most rookies that score 20 goals top out at 40-45 points?

Is a 5-10 point improvement on rookie production a good-faith career projection?

How many viewings are you basing that on?

Reactions: bert

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He scored 20 goals as a rookie coming off an entire lost sesson due to injury.

Do most rookies that score 20 goals top out at 40-45 points?

Is a 5-10 point improvement on rookie production a good-faith career projection?

How many viewings are you basing that on?

To be completely fair and transparent about it though...that 20G - 35Pt "Rookie Season" was while playing de facto Top-6 Minutes with Top-6 linemates. Which contextually, is a bit less impressive.

There are also plenty of players who are better checkers and goal-scorers than playmakers who do settle in as 20G 30-40pt middle-sixers or just straight up 3rd line types. I don't think that's the likely outcome for Pinto, but it's not completely implausible that he'd stall out as something like that. Development isn't always linear. Scoring 20G as a rookie doesn't mean that he's going to score 5 more goals per year until he's a 40G scorer for instance. He's got a good enough shot that you can probably expect a little bit of further growth there, but without more growth as a playmaker, he's always going to have his production "capped" pretty firmly at a less than "Ideal Top-6" level. That's a big area of projection that remains for Pinto, and how you view his trajectory in that aspect is key to whether you think he's going to turn into a true Top-6C or plateau as more of a 3rd Line or Middle-6 guy.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I could see a Phi-Ott pretty big deal but only during off-season as Ott is in no rush bc they are out of it and Philly doesnt want to move bc they look like they will play in late April.

Can Philly afford to pay Tippett, give Hart a decent raise from his 4 mil while still paying 9 mil on Hayes-Petersen-DeAngelo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad