Proposal: Ott & NYI

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
And that's a load of bull****. Why would he re-sign with absolutely no ties to LI or the Isles? Brisson is his agent. He is this close to UFA, he's going to explore the market. He's a rental.

In the post he says "signed Duchene" wtf am I missing?

"To Isles:
Duchene signed and traded "

Everyone losing their minds or something?

Reactions: Sparksrus3 and bl02

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah because Eberle is a top6 C, and the same caliber for Duchene. Take a hike.

So you'd prefer to demand other teams trade you their bluechip youth for guys who won't be next year's opening night roster?

While at the same time telling those other teams to take a hike if they ask for your bluechip youth for guys who probably won't be on our opening night roster?

100% Take, 0% Give, I have that right?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
In the post he says "signed Duchene" wtf am I missing?

"To Isles:
Duchene signed and traded "

Everyone losing their minds or something?

Sorry to snap at you, but haven't you had enough of this super fantasy 'sign and trade' scenarios?

Duchene is a rental to the Isles. Let's not go to the quantum realm of fantasy (on a fantasy board no less) so we can entertain these unavailable assets like Dobson. Plus, I think my love for Dobson makes me roll eyes faster than usual. I'm biased and compromised.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
So you'd prefer to demand other teams trade you their bluechip youth for guys who won't be next year's opening night roster?

While at the same time telling those other teams to take a hike if they ask for your bluechip youth for guys who probably won't be on our opening night roster?

Maybe I'm losing it...

To Isles:
Duchene signed and traded

Meaning he would be signed for x amount of years then traded?

At this point he would not be a rental...correct?

Reactions: BelovedIsles

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Sorry to snap at you, but haven't you had enough of this super fantasy 'sign and trade' scenarios?

Duchene is a rental to the Isles. Let's not go to the quantum realm of fantasy (on a fantasy board no less) so we can entertain these unavailable assets like Dobson. Plus, I think my love for Dobson makes me roll eyes faster than usual. I'm biased and compromised.

All I said was to be fair in terms of, it wasn't for a rental. I didn't say I would do the trade, I was just saying wasn't that awful for a signed Duchene as opposed to people sending us upcoming UFA for the likes of Dobson\Wahlstrom.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's only fitting we use Dobson to acquire Duchene since we tried offering Hamonic for Duchene a couple years ago and that failed so we traded Hamonic for Calgary's first rounder and tried offering that with no luck so we just picked Dobson.

Reactions: MattMartin

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
probably in the minority of islander fans here, but OP seems like fair value. As highly touted as Dobson, he's still an unknown in the NHL. Duchene is a clear 1/2c in the NHL and him signed would be worth moving any prospect. Plus the Islanders D has been the best in the league with still other promising prospects on the way like Aho and wilde. Bellows and a 3rd is steep for dzingel rental but if Duchene is signed long term with NYI its worth it IMO.

Reactions: SensFactor

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
To Ott:
Dobson
Bellows
2020 round 3 pick

To Isles:
Unsigned Dzingle

Key note: Duchene and Dzingle have been having some damn good chemistry together this year. This would be huge for NY in the playoffs.

Who says no? How could I make the offer better? Apologies on if the value is slightly off... Only have a rough idea of the Isles prospect value
Take Dobson out. That is how you make the deal better.

I wouldn't want Dobson moved for Duchene signed or unsigned.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa

What're you even talking about? So you'll trade for Duchene (who is coming with an extension as outlined in the proposal) then he won't be in your line-up because?.....
I'm not responding to you anymore.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Completely understand Isles fans not wanting Dobson in, but for a signed Duchene personally I wouldn't accept Hosang in his place

A signed Duchene probably gets us talking Wahlstrom or Wilde, Dobson though is off limits

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe I'm losing it...

To Isles:

Meaning he would be signed for x amount of years then traded?

At this point he would not be a rental...correct?

It's a HFboards myth. Fans with UFAs inflate the value of theirs with saying "signed". When it does happen, like Turris last season, the "signed" return isn't very much higher than the rental return.

When has that happened in reality? When a pending UFA who was gonna get a 1st+whatever agrees to a contract with his new team and suddenly his value skyrockets and a team is willing to give up a top prospect like Dobson? Name me the trade that has set this unbreakable precedent that a signed UFA commands double the rate of an unsigned one.

Reactions: PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I had somebody here tell me the other day that the only way that the Rangers would trade us a unsigned Zuccarello was for Dobson and a 2nd. I wouldn't trade Dobson for almost anyone straight up, let alone a deadline rental.

Last edited:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
It's a HFboards myth. Fans with UFAs inflate the value of theirs with saying "signed". When it does happen, like Turris last season, the "signed" return isn't very much higher than the rental return.

When has that happened in reality? When a pending UFA who was gonna get a 1st+whatever agrees to a contract with his new team and suddenly his value skyrockets and a team is willing to give up a top prospect like Dobson? Name me the trade that has set this unbreakable precedent that a signed UFA commands double the rate of an unsigned one.

My point was, it wasn't the worst I have seen. At least the OP said Duchene was signed. You were saying as a rental which was incorrect. I highly doubt he would do a sign and trade, I was just saying going by if this was actually to happen.

With all that being said, I'm not ready to strengthen a position by downgrading another position. Leddy and Boychuk will be near the end of their contracts by the time Dobson is ready and we would be back to square one still searching for a 1/2 defensemen which has eluded us since Potvin.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My point was, it wasn't the worst I have seen. At least the OP said Duchene was signed. You were saying as a rental which was incorrect. I highly doubt he would do a sign and trade, I was just saying going by if this was actually to happen.

I mean, people say offer sheets never happen but I remember Weber, Penner, Vanek, a couple more I'm forgetting in the last 10-15 years or so.

I can't think of one example where a UFA was about to leave, the team let him negotiate a new deal somewhere else, and suddenly because that new deal was in place the price shot up as a result. But it happens on HFboards 500 times every season. Islander fans wanted to know the value of a signed Tavares last year.

Reactions: PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I mean, people say offer sheets never happen but I remember Weber, Penner, Vanek, a couple more I'm forgetting in the last 10-15 years or so.

I can't think of one example where a UFA was about to leave, the team let him negotiate a new deal somewhere else, and suddenly because that new deal was in place the price shot up as a result. But it happens on HFboards every season. Islander fans wanted to know the value of a signed Tavares last year.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying going by what the poster actually said. I wasn't saying this was a strong reality. I was going by the "what if" value of it.

Reactions: Baymen4

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So if Duchene is coming with an extension, then what are the contract details? How many years? What's the AAV? NMC? Inflated signing bonus structure?

Are we talking $9M? $8.5M? 7 years? Or the 8 years? 6 years? A Matthews 5-year special?

What if his deal doesn't look at that palatable? What if it does? These things matter and should be discussed instead of going with the standard 'signed' qualifier to magically increase Duchene's value.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
So if Duchene is coming with an extension, then what are the contract details? How many years? What's the AAV? NMC? Inflated signing bonus structure?

Are we talking $9M? $8.5M? 7 years? Or the 8 years? 6 years? A Matthews 5-year special?

What if his deal doesn't look at that palatable? What if it does? These things matter and should be discussed instead of going with the standard 'signed' qualifier to magically increase Duchene's value.

These would be follow up questions to be asked as well. Either way, I would pass on trading Dobson.

Let's do this for fun.....

To Isles:
Duchene signed and traded for 7 years at 8.5 mil per year
Unsigned Dzingle

To Ott:
Wahlstrom
2019 1st
Aho
Hickey

Let me know if I'm close or way off.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If Duchene would sign Id make the trade. Rather get Stone.
I'm not as high on Dobson as others.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's only fitting we use Dobson to acquire Duchene since we tried offering Hamonic for Duchene a couple years ago and that failed so we traded Hamonic for Calgary's first rounder and tried offering that with no luck so we just picked Dobson.

Though we could have probably just traded Hammer for Hall

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
If Duchene would sign Id make the trade. Rather get Stone.
I'm not as high on Dobson as others.

Why not just for curiosity reasons? Since he got traded he has been a plus 29 and his team hasn't lost a game in regulation in 17 tries. throw in the fact we haven't had a cornerstone Dman drafted by us in forever. I would like to give him a try barring a ridiculous over payment coming back.

William Nylander would be one of the few players I would trade Dobson for.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Why not just for curiosity reasons? Since he got traded he has been a plus 29 and his team hasn't lost a game in regulation in 17 games.
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer. I think Dobson will have a solid NHL career.
It's more of a guy feeling it the fact that the Isles never land a difference maker on defense.
But I watched him at Islanders mini camp last Summer and unlike Wahlstrom I didn't come away all super impress like he was a man against boys.
He was bigger than most of the camp invites and draft picks but just didn't seem to stand out.
Then again I was disappointed with Skare k and still super high on him.
what's your thoughts?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
People get so bent out of shape from hypotheticals. I'm not keen on trading Dobson, but a lot would depend on the contract Duchene signed. I doubt he would sign before going UFA to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00